Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Serious question, would you guys rather:

A) finish 36-46, make the playoffs, lose draft pick
B) finish 33-49, miss the playoffs, lose draft pick
C) finish 30-52, miss the playoffs, keep draft pick

Any 3 of these could be a realistic possibility. Is it really worth the gamble trying to make 8th seed...and just barely failing?
Far and away, C.

Playoffs DO NOT matter to me when it's going to be getting slaughtered by the Warriors likely in front of a "Home" crowd consisting of 50% Warrior fans. No thank you.

*Teams played on the homestand: Warriors, Cavs, Clippers, Thunder, Heat, Pistons. That Heat loss is still inexcusable but let's not act like this homestand consisted of exclusively games against the Brooklyn Nets.
The problem is if you blow games like Miami you should also expect to win some of these hard games, this team doesn't, aside from weirdly having the Raptors number, a win in Memphis where Conley was coming off injury and an early season win vs OKC, this team has no other signature win, or a win that makes you say "oh hey, look at dem Kings". Forgot to add the win against depleted Jazz.

Not sure (big if) we have the means to build around him that aligns with his peak years so its looking more more likely that we see a bunch more 30-35 win 8-10 draft pick years up ahead and thats depressing.
But if Cousins was as good as we'd like him to be, it shouldn't be the case

What are we demanding of him? Does he impose his will on games like Duncan, Howard, Dirk etc? At some point he has to make players better than they are regardless of his individual stats

Serious question, would you guys rather:

A) finish 36-46, make the playoffs, lose draft pick
B) finish 33-49, miss the playoffs, lose draft pick
C) finish 30-52, miss the playoffs, keep draft pick

Any 3 of these could be a realistic possibility. Is it really worth the gamble trying to make 8th seed...and just barely failing?
The only thing that matters is what does ownership want. Ownership desperately wants that 8th spot. DESPERATLEY.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I turned off the game at half time. Not only were we losing but we were playing so poorly there was nothing enjoyable about the game. Yes, Rudy needs to be traded but not "left by the side of the road." He is a skilled basketball player that would suit some styles of play very well. He does not fit us but if we got similar value in return given that he is an expiring, we might get someone worthwhile. In any case, get someone who fits. Otherwise we tolerate yet another season until he and Afflalo are gone and we have buckets of money for a free agent. We need a #2 scorer who can hit the three. Overspend. It's one player who is very important.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
But if Cousins was as good as we'd like him to be, it shouldn't be the case

What are we demanding of him? Does he impose his will on games like Duncan, Howard, Dirk etc? At some point he has to make players better than they are regardless of his individual stats
He does. The problem is instead of making players like Tony Parker or Manu Ginobli better, he stuck trying make way past his prime Matt Barnes and Ben McLemore better.

At some point, you need to start winning games against good teams. The Kings have dropped too many winnable games against bottom feeders to continue putting up performances we have seen on this homestand.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'd rather really suck, Philadelphia 76ers suck, for 3-5 years than be stuck where we have been for the last decade. I just can't even see a direction we are going......
Loading up on top 5 picks and hoping we get lucky would at least represent something different than business as usual, but those are just lottery tickets. The Sixers have had more lottery tickets in the past 5 years than any other team and look where it's gotten them -- they have one guaranteed star just like we do. Presumably Ben Simmons will be part two of their killer duo, but he hasn't played yet so it's too early to call him a sure thing. Noel has used up his rookie contract. Jahlil Okafor is redundant with Embiid. Their PG position is even more of a hodgepodge than ours is. Even the Cavs with their remarkable run of draft luck would be nowhere right now if Lebron didn't want to return to play for his home team. They'd have Kyrie, Andrew Wiggins, and Tristan Thompson. Is that even a playoff team? Cousins is our team right now. He's too good to trade. Unfortunately the talent that should be helping to lead us to the top of the West will be making All-Star appearances for other teams this year. Those mistakes have cost us, but we just have to move on and keep adding talent around DeMarcus however we can. And steal somebody from the Spurs front office if possible cause those folks get it!

I said before the season, Matt was a over the hill guy that just had a bad year in Memphis. Omri was one of our best players last year.

Before the season I said it.

How can I even trust Joerger or his decision making process?

Omri can still be a serviceable player, maybe even our starting three. He's grit, he's a fan favorite

I don't know what to say. I'm terribly displeased

K

KingsFan80

Far and away, C.

Playoffs DO NOT matter to me when it's going to be getting slaughtered by the Warriors likely in front of a "Home" crowd consisting of 50% Warrior fans. No thank you.
Part of me says C but I literally have zero confidence in this franchise to draft anyone, so I am not sure honestly sure

K

KingsFan80

Having a chance to pick and fail is better than no chance at all.

To quote our esteemed announcers "A bad shot is better than no shot at all."
I mean, im at the point where the drafts have been fail after fail, might as well try something new. Maybe if we make the playoffs we can get better FAs?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Far and away, C.

This would mean only 13 more wins this season. I will quit watching basketball for the rest of the season and try to find decent cricket matches. I do not watch playoff games that we are not involved in. I've seen too many like them.

Kings are now a half game behind last years squad at the same point in the season. I dont think this team is any better than last years who incidentally peaked at a 5-game win streak during this same time in their schedule. 8-game road trip looming....can they make it to 21-30? That would at least put them even with last year.....

If 30-52 means keeping the draft pick - TANK! Of course the fools in the front office completely botched the last draft. Kings organization is in tatters.

and BTW I HATE the warriors with a passion. More than any pro team. Five years ago they literally had no fans. I cannot stand watching their fans walk around wearing Warriors gear, I guarantee non of them own a Baron Davis jersey
I was watching a Kings game last week with my 4 years old niece- maybe the first basketball game she ever watched.
I told her that we want the blue guys to make a basket, they are our team. (It was against the Clippers, Kings wore light blue and Clippers were black)
After a few minutes of game, she asked me- "Why can't we want the black ones to score? I want to be for them, they make more goals (=baskets)".
I think she has a good potential to become a Warriors fan when she grows older.

Better for the losses to pile up now than after the trade deadline. Hopefully Vivek will get it through his head that this isn't a playoff team. Need to trade some of these expiring players and get something back and tank for that top 10 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.