[Game] Kings v. Pelicans - Thursday, Oct. 26 - 7:30 PT

He’ll be fine. He had a few good moments defensively as well. No 19 year old player is just going to walk in and start putting the brakes on Jrue Holliday or any prime experienced point guard. Even then..he had a few good on ball possessions defensively. He got beat sometimes. He was out of place on some others.

No reason for us to expect defense will be an issue with him looking at the bigger picture.
The premier guards are what Temple is for but I guess he will draw the elite SFs since we have no true wing defender in a wing dominated league.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't blame a single person who packed up shop and bailed with Boogie. A hell of a player. So much fun to watch, and I'll admit it... I was straight up rooting for him to murk the Kings down the stretch.

I love that dude, and IlI'll always be cheering for him, even against us. I thought it would be out of my system after this game. NOPE.

The ZBo sub was a terrible, terrible idea. NO was out there running sets with Cousins and Nelson/Holiday and we put in WCS with ZBo? We were getting back into it with 4 guard lineup. If anything, Hield should have been in there alongside Fox, Hill and BB.

I'm sad to see this. I was always a premiere defender of DMC, but this is uncalled for. What's truly sad IMHO is that he believes what he's saying. He honestly views himself as some kind of victim. I'm sorry for that, and I'm sorry for him. I'm not sorry that all the drama surrounding him is gone. I wish him well but I hope he finds a way some day to face the reality that HE is his own worst enemy.
I can personally attest, that getting trapped into a narrative about one's own victim status is an extremely difficult thing to get out of. I could not have made progress in getting out of it without help from the man upstairs. Harder to quit than cigarettes, let's just put it that way.

The problem, is that it's true. His complaints are valid. Pretty much everyone's are. But often the overall narrative that we create around that is not the real picture.

No, he just needs to set consistent lineups. Players should expect to know how long they are going to play. If they don't have it that night, then sure. But Temple was out there shooting blanks and he stays in whole 4th. WCS and Hield were playing great and don't even get 4th QTR playing time (WCS came in with 3 mins to go). Doesn't make sense.
Wins and losses generally dictate coaches tenure, fair or not.....I'll phrase it this way, if Joerger continues and the losses mount without him adapting, he'll be on the hot-seat at some point. If he adapts his lineups and the Kings are just that bad, one can't pin it on Joerger. I like seeing large minute distributions actually; I want to see more substituting for players, and would like to see Hill and Randolph minutes divided out more. Would have liked to see Mason and Richardson tonight, but it wouldn't have made too much difference.
Kings were beaten 47-34 in rebounds in a 6 pt loss tonight, against a premier rebounder.

Wins and losses generally dictate coaches tenure, fair or not.....I'll phrase it this way, if Joerger continues and the losses mount without him adapting, he'll be on the hot-seat at some point. If he adapts his lineups and the Kings are just that bad, one can't pin it on Joerger. I like seeing large minute distributions actually; I want to see more substituting for players, and would like to see Hill and Randolph minutes divided out more. Would have liked to see Mason and Richardson tonight, but it wouldn't have made too much difference.
Kings were beaten 47-34 in rebounds in a 6 pt loss tonight, against a premier rebounder.
The losses shouldn't even be the point, right now it's about how things look and the promise your valuable assets show because when you are rebuilding that's all you have. Right now nobody, not even the vets are having an opportunity to break out. That's going to make Vlades life harder when it comes to solidifying this roster. Joerger is doing what's known as platooning. Basically sending competing groups out there quarter to quarter. There is going to be breaks in flow, and cohesion when doing that. Some coaches throughout history have had short terms success with it, but that was usually only when they were winning. And even then it broke down and players felt undercut individually. If you aren't winning utilizing that strategy can prove to be toxic.

Reviewed Grants twitter for the night.

I guess the only thing that can stop him from tweeting or re-tweeting anti-Boogie stuff all game is to have C-Webb in town the same night to shift his negative energy.

Just got done watching the game. The refs were trash, called "Fouls" on 3 clean steals, almost all in a row, giving the Pels the lead. Joeger was trash, Fox didn't get any real burn until late in the 3rd and Skal almost none at all. Embarrassing considering Z-Bo was being a black hole on offense and George Hill was giving us NOTHING. Koufos, i appreciate what he does but he just makes me cringe way to often to be getting the minutes he does. Really disappointing game from a lot of different angles.

Coach J deserves the loss tonight, his rotations make no sense.
He took everyone out of rhythm on top of his horrendous 'no subs until the 2 minute mark' routine.

Making sure to sub Zbo in at the end there like he was having a career night or something...nonsense. I wouldn't lose a second of sleep if Vlade just canned him unexpectedly mid season.

He took everyone out of rhythm on top of his horrendous 'no subs until the 2 minute mark' routine.

Making sure to sub Zbo in at the end there like he was having a career night or something...nonsense. I wouldn't lose a second of sleep if Vlade just canned him unexpectedly mid season.
Seriously. Why would you wait until 2 minutes left in the half to bring in the potential face of our franchise.

The losses shouldn't even be the point, right now it's about how things look and the promise your valuable assets show because when you are rebuilding that's all you have. Right now nobody, not even the vets are having an opportunity to break out. That's going to make Vlades life harder when it comes to solidifying this roster. Joerger is doing what's known as platooning. Basically sending competing groups out there quarter to quarter. There is going to be breaks in flow, and cohesion when doing that. Some coaches throughout history have had short terms success with it, but that was usually only when they were winning. And even then it broke down and players felt undercut individually. If you aren't winning utilizing that strategy can prove to be toxic.
Honestly these vets are not really doing it for me though its early.....would rather all of them come off the bench. ... Or if Joerger wants to start them, sit them down sooner. If I recall Adelman would pull players when they're playing well which sometimes irritated me, but substituting is a more difficult part of coaching. Platooning is ok if Joerger is looking for a consistent lineup. Notice he free-wheels the lineup more at the end of games. I'd rather he does it throughout.

Honestly these vets are not really doing it for me though its early.....would rather all of them come off the bench. ... Or if Joerger wants to start them, sit them down sooner. If I recall Adelman would pull players when they're playing well which sometimes irritated me, but substituting is a more difficult part of coaching. Platooning is ok if Joerger is looking for a consistent lineup. Notice he free-wheels the lineup more at the end of games. I'd rather he does it throughout.
I was into the idea of letting the vets get their minutes at first under the presumption that it would lead to more success. The honest truth is that it has done just the opposite. Losing because we are a young team is one thing, and ok for me. Losing because we aren't playing the young guys enough IS MADDENING.

Joerger will play with line ups all year. At least, until the All Star Break. He's going to look at every combination possible.
Randolph will be getting minutes for a while. Joerger loves him and will continue to play him 25-30 minutes.
Hill has really dropped off and gotten old quick.

It really doesn't bother me. We have no pick in 2019. We need to preserve next years pick. I am sure we will see most of the younger players starting after Jan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NOT with a team that is filled with youth and moving forward for the first time in a long time. What you want to see is not necessarily what Vlade and Joerger and everyone else wants to see. My guess is they want to make sure the moves they make regarding the rookies are the right ones. We don't need any more Ben McLemores.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was into the idea of letting the vets get their minutes at first under the presumption that it would lead to more success. The honest truth is that it has done just the opposite. Losing because we are a young team is one thing, and ok for me. Losing because we aren't playing the young guys enough IS MADDENING.
We've played 5 games. FIVE. And only 2 of them at home. Isn't it possible you're a little premature in your judgment?

We've played 5 games. FIVE. And only 2 of them at home. Isn't it possible you're a little premature in your judgment?
Its possible. I definitely think we will be better and it will work out. I'm holding our vets to a high standard though considering they were brought in to mentor, and unfortunately they are the ones getting schooled. I'm specifically calling out Zbo and Hill. I just looked back and besides a 3 game stretch back in 2012, (when he was coming off the bench), these last 3 game have been the WORST of his ENTIRE career. I'm excluding his rookie season due to lack of play time, but I'm pretty concerned about the Ramon Sessions effect coming into play here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Its possible. I definitely think we will be better and it will work out. I'm holding our vets to a high standard though considering they were brought in to mentor, and unfortunately they are the ones getting schooled. I'm specifically calling out Zbo and Hill. I just looked back and besides a 3 game stretch back in 2012, (when he was coming off the bench), these last 3 game have been the WORST of his ENTIRE career. I'm excluding his rookie season due to lack of play time, but I'm pretty concerned about the Ramon Sessions affect coming into play here.
Okay, I can understand that POV. I'm just a little surprised at how quickly some here are turning on Joerger. All summer all we did was talk about not having high expectations, knowing Joerger would have to take the time to learn the best combinations, assess the potentials and weaknesses, etc. We weren't gonna focus on wins, we weren't gonna focus on forcing the rooks onto the court too quickly, etc. It just seems (and I could be over-reacting) that some of us have already written Joerger off and I simply can't understand how that could be.

Okay, I can understand that POV. I'm just a little surprised at how quickly some here are turning on Joerger. All summer all we did was talk about not having high expectations, knowing Joerger would have to take the time to learn the best combinations, assess the potentials and weaknesses, etc. We weren't gonna focus on wins, we weren't gonna focus on forcing the rooks onto the court too quickly, etc. It just seems (and I could be over-reacting) that some of us have already written Joerger off and I simply can't understand how that could be.
Joeger is in a tough spot with the rotations so I'm not laying a whole lot of blame at his feet. How can you tell Fox and Skal they have to earn their way but then give them the starts after 5 games into the season over veterans like Hill and Randolph? If you do it now they really didn't earn anything, it was just given by default because of the starters pee poor play.

While I felt good for Boogie, boy was it hard to rough watching us throw this game away --- especially when having a double-digit lead for 2+ quarters.
I realize the team got off to a hot start tonight, for the first time, but the starting 5 just doesn't mesh at all. Until Coach changes it, I fear the Kings will be getting off to more poor starts than good ones.

Lots of puzzling things, as many have mentioned:
  • What's wrong with George Hill?
  • 20 min for Hield and 15 for Skal??
  • Justin Jackson continues to start, actually plays real well this game and only gets 16 min???
  • Fox and Bogs look like 2 of the best players on the team right now and they can't play more than 25????
  • Team defense looks awful. Far too many breakdowns allowing uncontested layups and open 3's
On the positive side:
  • Ball movement and passing looks really good at times. If they get more consistent with it, the offense could really take off.
  • Turnovers. Only 12, 9 and 13 in each of the past 3 games. Not bad for such a new team with so many young players.
  • Fox, Bogs and Jackson have all looked good in short stints.

I was wondering if Fox had tweaked an ankle in practice or something, because he definitely wasn't as "Flash Gordon" as usual. Maybe it was the way the Pels defended, or maybe he just wasn't quite right today.

Really enjoyed the game - sorry we lost but hey, there is one more first rounder - then a rehabbed Giles... and we'll get em next year! :)