Best 00 in Sacramento Kings History

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Game 43
Sacramento Kings versus Indiana Pacers
Tip-Off: 7:30 PST, 10:30 EST. 7973:498 on Planet Blipblorp

By Stephen Tetsu, Japanese Showbiz Correspondent

The Kings are on a roll and I’m decidedly not on one so, heck, time for the first “game thread” game thread in a looooooooooooooooooong while.

Hooray, we apparently don’t suck anymore! It’s been over a decade since the Kings have played meaningful basketball in January, which is really just an indicator of the gross incompetence Kings fans have had to deal with over the last several years. Let’s think about this for a second… The last time the Kings were in any position of relevance at this point in the season, Piksi was still writing game threads, the team was in a slow cycle of general apathy, and Peja was about to be traded for Ron Artest.

Like this year’s team, those Kings got off to a really slow start, generally looked lost for the first half of the season, and featured Kenny Thomas on the payroll. (I may have made that last one up. Quick, someone check RealGM!) And yet, after a bit of tinkering (and some of the younger players like Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia coming into their own), the team managed to sneak into the playoffs and actually put up a bit of a fight against the Spurs.

Looking at the rosters of this year’s team and the roster of that final Adelman playoff team, there’s really little question, at least in my mind, which of the teams is more talented.

The 2005-2006 Kings featured an overall team effort necessitated by the lack of a true number one player. Sure the team had its fair share of good players but all of them were pretty much third option sorts of guys (Bibby, Artest, Pre-Cornrows Brad Miller, Shareef riiiiiiiiiight before his legs imploded, Bonzi Wells, emerging young scorer Kevin Martin). The 2005-2006 Kings also showed a surprising lack of depth, with a depth chart that roughly looked like this:

C: Brad Miller/ Absolutely freaking no one/Brain Skinner/Vitaly Potapenko/
PF: Reef/Kenny the Albatross Thomas/Burnt out Corliss
SF: Ron Ron/Cisco
SG: Bonzi/Kevin Martin/Cisco
PG: Mike Bibby/Jason Hart/Ronnie Price

I mean, while not as bad as some of the crap rosters we’d see later on in the Broke Maloof Era, that’s not exactly a rotation that screams PLAYOFFS to me. And yet they managed to get in through a mix of Rick Adelman coaching the crap out of that roster/ playing Ron Artest and Mike Bibby 40 minutes a night. Also, just to repeat for emphasis, Bonzi Wells went insane when Winter changed to Spring and absolutely tore the league a new one.

But once you got past that starting five/Kevin Martin and occasionally Francisco Garcia, the 2005-2006 Kings literally had no one of any value (and arguably a guy with the worst contract in the NBA).

Meanwhile, the Kings of Today feature a (two game tested) rotation that looks like so:

C: Boogie/Kosta
PF: Willie/Kosta/Quincy Acy
SF: Rudy Gay/Omri/presumably Caron Butler
SG: Suddenly legitimate SG Ben McLemore/ Marco Bellinelli/ James Anderson
PG: Rondo/DC/Curry

While once could arguably say that this team’s starting five could lose to the 2005-2006 one (even then, who’s going to stop Boogie? Brad Miller? Don’t make me laugh.), the 2015-2016 bench features a consistent 7 point/7 board/1 block back up big man, a guy who’s suddenly become one of the best shooters in the NBA, one of the better back up point guards in the NBA despite our frustration, and a purported sharpshooter who hasn’t actually done much sharpshooting up to this point in the season.

While the bench hasn’t exactly been perfect this season, at least it’s not Jason Hart and Brian Skinner. Oh, and at least we aren’t wearing these anymore.

Ladies and gentlemen, the last Kings team to make the postseason.

Awards Time (Try and remember some of these players if you can, I dare you)
Tony Delk Memorial Award - Nobody on the Hawks really produced all that much out of the ordinary so no one.

Jason Hart/Andreas Nocioni Award - The bench. Everyone.

Luke Walton Vacuum Cleaner Award - On a night in which pretty much the entire Kings bench spent their time on the court trying extremely hard to outsuck each other, Marco Bellinelli found a way to suck the most. While his main competition for playing time played perhaps the altogether best game of this career, Marco had an off night even by his increasingly low standards. When a good possession constitutes you not touching the ball, that’s pretty much a key indicator of worthiness for the Luke Walton Vacuum of Suck (Luke the player, not Luke the Interim Coach of the Best Team in Basketball).

Rafer Alston And-1 Award - Willie’s offensive repertoire consists 90% of dunks and around the hoop layups. The other ten percent? Missed showtime dunks.

Mikki Moore Award - Darren Collison had an off night but he did have one standout play where he laid out for a steal that he probably could have gotten a hold of the normal way around. But heck, it looked cool, which means Mikki time.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim Award- Jeff Teague. One year removed from being an All-Star, Jeff Teague spent most of the second half benched for his heir-apparent (who didn’t actually play particularly well). Not necessarily a good look.

WTF Moment of the Night - The Kings go on an 18-0 run to pull away from the Hawks in the third, promptly find a way to squander the lead.

The View From the Otherside
The following has been taken from peachtreehoops.com
  • 5:59
    Rando VS Teague
    will be an interesting match up tonight aside from the obvious Al vs Demarcus. With Teagues lack of defense lately this will be interesting and Demarcus better be wearing a cup lmao
  • 7:16
    I can see the Hawks using similar tactics defensively as to what they employed against the Blazers last night.
    The Kings rank 7th in the league in 3-pt percentage (mainly driven up by Omri Cappsi’s 46% clip, and 38% shooting from Ben McLemore), and lead the league in the percentage of 3 point attempts on total FG attempts, with more than 1/3 of their shot attempts coming from the perimeter. Hopefully the Hawks can force the Kings perimeter players off the 3-point line and to the interior defense.

Similarly to the Blazers, Sacramento have a couple of good offensive rebounding in Carley-Stein & Koufos (who ranks 10th in the league in offensive rebounding %), so an effort on the defensive glass will be required again to close out the defensive possession.

The Kings are prone to turning the ball over, as they are 4th worst in the league in TO%. The Hawks may have a good opportunity tonight to play get in the passing lanes and force turnovers in order to get some easy buckets in transition.
  • 9:33
    I hope we win by 35
    And take selfies on their logo
  • 9:52
    Even when Rudy Gay plays, on paper, the Hawks are a TERRIBLE matchup for the Kings
    I wont "jinx" us and declare a win, but….yeah lol
  • 10:10
    The Kings' DJ looks like a hipster smackhead.
  • 10:20
    Kings jumping up in Kyle's ear when shooting from corner near their bench
    Becoming a league-wide issue they need to do something about.
  • 10:24
    Cousins is so damn good
  • 10:58
    Kings gonna end up with 100 fg attempts at this rate
    rebounding would be nice
  • 11:33
    are we seriously going to get blown out by sacramento wtf
  • 11:35
    cant watch this anymore
  • 11:41
    Cousins stepped up into the spot.
    Blocking foul for sure.
  • 11:58
    what a comeback
  • 12:08
    well, don't give up Bazemore.
    I’m smelling overtime
  • 12:12
    Is Teague in the doghouse? I don't see why Bud would elect to play Dennis over Jeff.
    Dennis has been pretty bad this game.
  • 12:14
    the Hawks may steal this one yet
  • 12:17
    Brothers, you're retarded.
  • 12:17
    Wow......
    There was no way that’s Sacramento ball
  • 12:20
    Can I call that a case of the ball don't lie? Tony Brothers sure does.
  • 12:24
    my goodness
    we are woeful in the clutch.
    iso teague or iso-millsap and that’s it….
    that is all we come up with. sad for such a creative team.
  • 12:24
    Then they call a foul
    Schroder missed him
  • 12:26
    Those fouls on Acy was ridiculous
    That overturn on Paul Millsap was asinine
  • 12:28
    then again....yet another loss to a sub .500 team
    really squandering chances here
  • 12:29
    Tony Brothers gave them the game.
  • 12:33
    so we're getting an apology from the league tomorrow regarding that overturned call lol?
    wtf do they have these guys in NJ for?
  • 12:54
    At one point down the stretch
    Quicy Acy got the benefit of 3 or 4 consecutive loose ball fouls….That’s the only time I thought to ask who was reffing the game….sure enough I saw who it was. Then he missed the call on Paul Millsap….wow. Winnable game though.
  • 1:36
    Bad loss.
    I wasn’t shocked that the Hawks came back from a 17-point deficit given the opponent, but I was shocked they ever let it get that far out of hand in the first place. That 3Q run by the Kings was the difference maker in this game that was very poorly played by both teams. Poor refereeing as well but I think it affected both teams more or less equally. The line that jumps out to my eyes is Korver’s 3/10 shooting from 3—he converts one of those 7 misses (which would be expected on the percentages) and not only is that the difference in the final line but it also completely changes how the endgame is played and quite possibly results in a Hawks win. His questionable shooting is really affecting this team’s ability to win games, especially when the point guards play as buffoonishly as they did tonight. Seriously, Dennis? Another 3-point airball?

Glad I didn’t make the trek out to Sacramento from Oakland.
  • 3:03
    I thought the defense on DeMarcus Cousins actually wasn't that bad in the 2nd half.
    He took 25 shots (only hitting 10 of those attempts) to hit for 24 points; that’s not a dominant offensive display by any stretch. It wasn’t great that he was establishing deep position on the low block, but the physical approach that Al & Tiago came with was pretty solid.
  • 7:36
    Must be karma for Kris's disrespect for Boogie and his team.
    Cousins with 24 points 15 boards, 5 assists, and Kris’s boy Horford with 11, 8, and 3. I’d say that’s the game right there. Boogie is the best center in the league.
  • 7:58
    Cousins is a disaster.
    He also had SIX turnovers. All the stats in the world can’t hide the fact that he is a petulant child and totally lazy. All the talent in the world and no brain in his head. Go ahead and build a team around Cousins and watch it fail miserably. He’s the new Shareef Abdur Rahim. Totally empty numbers.
  • 8:07
    Even his man defense left a lot to be desired.
    If DeMarcus Cousins is the best center in the league, the then the requirements to be dominant at the center position has dropped in talent considerably since the days of Olajuwon, Robinson & Ewing.
  • 8:23
    Don't get me wrong, when his head is in the game and he's putting in effort, Cousins is arguably a top 10 player in the league.
    I just seemed between the dominant stretches on offense, there were occasions where he wasn’t playing with a full amount of effort or focus – a number of looks he had at the rim, he didn’t finish because he didn’t go up strong. And defensively, he lagged in transition and (as previously mentioned) was giving a just barely there effort when defending in the post. People get on Teague’s case for not being consistently focused, the same can be said for Cousins. Cousins size and skill-set give him a higher upside that allows him to put up the stats he does, but as Ed stated, with the lack of consistent effort he puts forward, he’s not a player that you can trust to build a championship contender around.
  • 8:56
    Again good teams want nothing to do with Cousins
    Until he figures that out, its not changing
  • 10:57
    Just watch him closely
    He’s not committed or limited in some way to conditioning…. he’s very effective early in his rotations…. can be later but that’s when he is looking for more static looks. All of his T’s come at the end of his rotation. Basically, he will never be the number 1 guy on a good team, needs an alpha that maybe can get his head right and challenge him to invest in all areas of his preparedness and game, but in the current situation he is so far from that.
  • 8:56
    How the hell are his numbers empty
    When his team is in the playoff hunt? They are the 8 seed right now. Don’t make no damn sense, you just sound like a flat out hater.
  • 8:06
    Lol OK but did his team win?
    I’ll take George Karl’s word for it when he says Cousins is the best Center in the league. I’ll also let my own eyes tell me that. So what he had 5 turnovers his team still won, and he was the best player on the court and he was without Rudy Gay. Al had 11 points and his team lost and he couldn’t guard Boogie in the post. Call a man a disaster who is the best player in the league at his position.
  • 10:31
    Having recently gone to a Kings game, the Hawks were probably confused thinking they stepped into the 80's
    lol I mean that arena looks ooooold on the inside. They probably thought they played in a highschool gym.

But seriously, something is up with Teague. I bet he isnt fully healthy

Tonight's Game
The Pacers are coming into town and they aren't exactly a squad to be taken lightly.

Led by Paul George, back from his horrific leg injury and now operating at the power forward position in Frank Vogel's new scheme, the Pacers are a team somewhat in the midsts of an identity rejiggering at the behest of the very good coach at the reigns (and also Larry Bird, always Larry Bird).

At 23-20, the Pacers sit square in the middle of the Eastern Conference playoff race free-for-all. Gone is Roy Hibbert, now free to not rebound and do ill-advised things on offense for the Lakers, and the rest of the Pacers frontcourt (aside form Ian Mahimi) of the last several seasons with him. With David West and Luis Scola now off playing roles for playoff squads elsewhere, Frank Vogel decided to go small (sorta) and stick 6'8" stud small forward Paul George at the 4 spot, a move that has thus far not been a total disaster due to Paul George being really good and Frank Vogel being able to put together a defensive scheme that largely masks any flaws with the small ball lineup.

However, despite playing the second best small forward in the East at the power forward spot, Indiana isn't exactly at a loss for big man depth. Ian Mahimi is a serviceable center, Jordan Hill is also solid, Lavoy Allen is also also solid, and Myles Turner has been turning in a very good rookie season for the Pacers off the bench.

In the backcourt and at the wings, the Pacers made a "splash" by signing Monta Ellis over the offseason, outbidding the Kings among other squads for his services. Alongside him, the Pacers will usually run CJ Miles and George Hill, who should be in uniform for the Pacers tonight, for a potent offensive trio. At the sixth man spot, Vogel will bring in Kings killer Rodney Stuckey, who I fully expect to score 50 points tonight against the Kings spotty perimeter defense. Chase Budinger will probably also get some burn, with Solomon Hill and the Big Dog's not as good son getting whatever wing minutes are left behind.

The Pacers played the Warriors fairly hard last night, but Frank Vogel actually managed his roster's minutes as well as one can in his situation, with Paul George leading the squad with only 31 minutes of action. Meanwhile, the Kings had a one night break after their rather physical game against the Hawks, which in the past has meant the team generally plays like they're the guys on the second night of a back to back.

But it's a new year and the Kings are starting to put together some good basketball and George Karl seems to have finally figured out that there's no need to play small forwards at the power forward spot when you've actually got three big men who deserve burn, so who knows what'll happen?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That's not fair to Willie. Any true long term fan of the team will never forget our own lovable Tag's bikini briefed butt waggle mating dance of doom. How is a skinny rook supposed to compete with that?

Pacers take on the Warriors tonight before heading to Sac tomorrow! Love it. Back to backs are hard on the road, and we've got a lot of momentum. This one is definitely within reach. Really looking forward to watching

Pacers take on the Warriors tonight before heading to Sac tomorrow! Love it. Back to backs are hard on the road, and we've got a lot of momentum. This one is definitely within reach. Really looking forward to watching
Hopefully it's not a complete blowout so all the main guys are playing the 4th quarter.

The lifelong Kentucky Wildcats fan in me loves Willie and Tony. However, in terms of NBA impact, I believe WCS will do more for winning.

Having recently gone to a Kings game, the Hawks were probably confused thinking they stepped into the 80's
lol I mean that arena looks ooooold on the inside. They probably thought they played in a highschool gym.
Haha. They do know about the Golden 1 Center right?

Paul George is quietly struggling a bit lately. Rudy Gay did a good job on his last match-up but I am not sure Gay will be available tomorrow.

Joe Young has been having good games off the bench for them. Turner has as well and Kosta needs to get out of his mini-slump to equal Turner's production some. However, Cousins putting their entire frontline in foul trouble could do the job if the Kings manage to get that going. Depends on the ref crew that shows up.

Turner is a live/die thing for them. He's struggled defending the pick n roll, but Joe Young has been killer working with Turner in the PnR as well.

More of the aggressive hyped McLemore would make a big difference. Especially since Monta is sort of a King Killer.

There should be a new Luke Walton award for coaching.

Also it's quite refreshing to see the view from the other side. Basically goes to show that all fans think the other team's stars are over rated, and all fans always feel the officials suck.

I love reading views from the other side. My favorite line has to be "Cousins is arguably a top 10 player in the league when focused." Great stuff.

The Pacers went the distance with the Warriors last night as it wasn't a blowout, so they might come in with some tired legs, especially in the 2nd half. If Rudy plays, we should have an advantage on them as Rudy will be well rested and we aren't the ones coming into a back to back (although Hill might come back for them tonight). A win here and you're looking at 20-23.

K

KingMilz

I love reading views from the other side. My favorite line has to be "Cousins is arguably a top 10 player in the league when focused." Great stuff.

The Pacers went the distance with the Warriors last night as it wasn't a blowout, so they might come in with some tired legs, especially in the 2nd half. If Rudy plays, we should have an advantage on them as Rudy will be well rested and we aren't the ones coming into a back to back (although Hill might come back for them tonight). A win here and you're looking at 20-23.
They said on the broadcast George Hill is 100% back since his son who was born premature is doing fine now.

A win here and a Charlotte team with no answer for Cuz(although Kemba had been torching it of late). B2B at Portland will be tough though. They are basically a poor mans Golden State, still dangerous. Still all three are winnable.

Last time we played the Pacers we destroyed them. It was like a Lakers game. :) DC was dancing and prancing over his old team (24 points on 11-17 FGs) and Boogie was smashing and thrashing and Rondo was dishing and diming then we got complacent and stopped playing D as we have been known to do. Willie missed the game and without his defense the game got close but we held on to win 108-106.

Myles Turner who also missed the first game had his best game as a pro last night with 31 points vs Dubs. He is an impressive rookie who does not turn 20 years old until March. He is on a three game stretch where he has made 30-41 FGs. For anyone but especially a 19 year old to make 75% of his shots this is awesome!

The 6th pick in the draft goes against the 11th pick in the draft in a showdown of epic proportions. Turner has an awkward style but comfortable shooting range and post moves. He is a naturally gifted offensive player.

When I scouted him this summer he reminded me of Kevin Durant. He slipped in the draft because he had a weird running gate and GMs were concerned this could make him injury prone. Those concerns are turning unfounded and Pacers may have found a gem like the did when they drafted George at #10. Larry the Legend strikes again!

Making George work for his points and running them early and often on a back-to-back will be key. Rudy (if he plays) vs. George is a fun match-up because both are smooth players. Their styles and length are similar with George having more of face-up game compared to Rudy's post game. Expect George to play better than he did in first game (5-19 FGs).

Our offense is tied for 12th and defense has moved up to 22nd in NBA after being 27th (28th) for most of 2015. Continuing this trend towards middle of pack with increase in Willie's minutes while getting to Top 10 offensively will coincide with playoff run and .500 or better record.

The Pacers are surprisingly 4th best in defense only behind the Spurs, Celts and Warriors. This is testament to Frank Vogel and making most of mediocre talent.

The challenge may be over-confidence. The Kings controlled first match-up including dropping 64 first half points. They know they can beat these guys but knowing and doing are two different things. If the 76ers can win on our home floor the Pacers can too.

Take nothing for granted and show no mercy! If this is the attitude results will take care of themselves. :) And more Ben less (no) Marco.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
A loss tonight would drop the Kings back into a tie with the Jazz.

But I don't want to be checking scores and hoping for Utah and Portland (and a suddenly resurgent New Orleans) to lose. I want to feel like the Kings are on an upswing and are going to cement their playoff spot by winning consistently in the second half of the season.

This game is a winnable one and the kind that the Kings have to win if they want to be playing past April 15th.

Games like this one, it seems to me - really show where you're at. If we lose to the Pacers at home then imo we are not playoff material and it is just a dose of reality.

So I can't wait to find out. Hoping the Kings confirm what we're all hoping. That we are legit real deal .550 - .570 caliber 5/6 seed playoff team. I really think we are but if we lose tonight, then I'm wrong.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Games like this one, it seems to me - really show where you're at. If we lose to the Pacers at home then imo we are not playoff material and it is just a dose of reality.
I wish people would quit saying things like this 40 games from the end of the season. The fan base is just manic-depressive right now. Its a winnable game, I at some level expect us to win it, but the Pacers aren't pushovers, and we ain't the Warriors. We'll lose quite a few games from here on out, and they aren't all going to be to San Antonio. There is a middle line between world stomper and oh, obvious lottery team.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I wish people would quit saying things like this 40 games from the end of the season. The fan base is just manic-depressive right now. Its a winnable game, I at some level expect us to win it, but the Pacers aren't pushovers, and we ain't the Warriors. We'll lose quite a few games from here on out, and they aren't all going to be to San Antonio. There is a middle line between world stomper and oh, obvious lottery team.
Hey, you know what they say: you can't spell "fan" without "excluded middle."

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I almost wrote a similar note. As fans, we are living and dying with each game and a lot of that is because we have a forum to discuss games on. Time gets compressed in some fashion. Yes, we will lose some games we should win and we will win some games we shouldn't win. Take it easy on your heart and recognize this team has already established itself as the best we have seen in a long time. People simply have to look at this team and understand that. It may very well get better as the season progresses barring injury. WCS needs to have experience and that is only solved by him getting minutes. I STILL think Marco will find his shot. At the least he can't get worse. :eek:

I had switched gears to this mode quite awhile ago and I find the games are more entertaining and easier on the heart.

The ultimate of this live or die attitude occurs in the game threads where people make judgments on players after one quarter of play. I expect a win tonight also but a loss is just a loss and will not determine our future in the next 39 games (or whatever it is).

I feel your point but I'm taking about a different thing than squeaking into the 8 spot. I'm talking about a serious play for a 5/6 spot which I think we can do - IF we can take care of business in games like tonight - against an east conference playoff team at home. I want to take the Clippers or Thunder to 6 or 7, maybe bump them off.

I'm not going to jump off a cliff or try to get a season ticket refund if they lose tonight but I will re-calibrate back to "squeak int0 8 spot and Warrior fodder" if we don't show up tonight.

squeak into 8 spot Warrior fodder IS the middle ground

What if we end up finishing 48-34, and six games ahead of the ninth seed? Did we still "squeak" in?
Of course not thats ridiculous. .585 will surely get a 5 or 6 seed. "Squeaking in" is a sub-.500 record or barely .500 that is a game better than a bunch of other teams with sub-.500 records.

If you and Brick are saying that losing today should not mean we give up on a .585 record then yes I do disagree with you both. If we are a .585 team this year - we show it right now with a win. We're out of games we can waste if we're going to do that.

But we can lose tonight and still be a .500-.520 7/8 seed, sure.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Of course not thats ridiculous. .585 will surely get a 5 or 6 seed...
Surely? Either you're unfamiliar with the last several years of NBA basketball in the western conference, or you can see into the future, or you don't know what "surely" means. Last year, the 7th seed had 50 wins. The year before, the 8th seed had 48.

Now, if you want to say that, based on what everybody's winning percentages are right now, that if they all hold up for the remainder of the season, then 48 wins will be good enough for the fifth seed... Eh, that's still a stretch, IYAM. I have no reason to believe that at all, and there's no particularly recent historical evidence to support such a belief. I wouldn't even bet the price of a good meal that a forty-eight win team won't miss the playoffs altogether; I absolutely wouldn't claim that such a record would be assured of a sixth seed.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Let's put it this way: a .585 record means 48 wins, which means going 29-11 the rest of the way. If we take your argument to its logical conclusion, then we shouldn't lose to anybody else with a winning percentage worse than the mark we're trying to reach, or else we're not worthy of being a playoff team, or are otherwise just "squeaking" in. The trouble with that is that there are only seven teams in the NBA with a winning percentage at or above .585 (Warriors, Spurs, Cavaliers, Thunder, Raptors, Clippers, Hawks), against whom we have a combined seven games remaining. Even if we lost all seven of those, the math indicates that we can lose four games against lesser teams and still get to 29-11. So any one loss in isolation doesn't mean anything.

What we need is to see the team sustain the effort and energy that we've seen this month. If we play tonight like we've played the last four, but still come up short, it's not a sign that we're "not playoff material."