[Game] Kings v. Magic - 3/13/17 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Maybe there's nothing coming. That wouldn't surprise me. I just think the piling on is a bit much.
In all honesty, Glenn, I don't think anybody is piling on. I don't think anyone can argue that TO DATE Papa hasn't lived up to expectations whereas Skal and now Buddy are making us believe again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He didn't do anything this game to warrant apathy. He's 19, and should play as part of our future
Apathy? Not sure what you mean. I see people being critical of a player who clearly isn't at the same stage of development as our other rookies. Papa has been doing good in the D-League and hopefully he will continue to improve and learn skills that will enable him to succeed in the NBA. Right now, that's not evident.

If he's on the court in a Kings uniform, he's fair game for criticism (and, around here, a bit of ridicule). It comes with the territory. Why should he not be?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Apathy? Not sure what you mean. I see people being critical of a player who clearly isn't at the same stage of development as our other rookies. Papa has been doing good in the D-League and hopefully he will continue to improve and learn skills that will enable him to succeed in the NBA. Right now, that's not evident.

If he's on the court in a Kings uniform, he's fair game for criticism (and, around here, a bit of ridicule). It comes with the territory. Why should he not be?
Yes, you are correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get why people were piling on Papa tonight. He looked lost a lot of the time but he got himself a block and rebounded better per minute than WCS.

Would have had more points if they were able to throw him better passes. He's actually pretty solid at the pick and roll right now. The PG's just weren't getting him the ball correctly. Should have had about 6 points to go along with his 4 rebounds. Skal looked lost up until recently as well. Plus Papa is over a year younger than him so it's going to take some time.

I harped on Papa as much as anyone during summer league but at this point he's at least showing that he can develop into something. A few months ago he looked as bad as any player has looked on our roster. Give it time.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I dunno, Papa just looked really slow and awkward out there. He wasn't awful though.

I think people will always hold it against him that he was picked so high, at least until he becomes a rotation player. Not really fair, but it is what it is.

That being said... I'm willing to wait it out on a gigantic 19 year old. He's made progress, so that's something!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't get why people were piling on Papa tonight. He looked lost a lot of the time but he got himself a block and rebounded better per minute than WCS.

Would have had more points if they were able to throw him better passes. He's actually pretty solid at the pick and roll right now. The PG's just weren't getting him the ball correctly. Should have had about 6 points to go along with his 4 rebounds. Skal looked lost up until recently as well. Plus Papa is over a year younger than him so it's going to take some time.

I harped on Papa as much as anyone during summer league but at this point he's at least showing that he can develop into something. A few months ago he looked as bad as any player has looked on our roster. Give it time.
Were we really piling on? I guess I just didn't see the same things you did. I understand that he has potential and may end up being a productive member of the Kings but I truly do not think he's ready to be out there right now. You said it, and I agree: He looked lost a lot of the time.

Enjoyed watching tonight's game. What excites me about the young guys is each one has a different primary way of scoring that seems to fit with the flow. There has been a lot of #culture jokes on the forum lately but what we should really be talking about is #chemistry. Skal and Willie seem to play really well together and I just get the feeling that Buddy is going to turn into a reliable 18/6/4/1.5 guy. That is a solid core to build around.

Were we really piling on? I guess I just didn't see the same things you did. I understand that he has potential and may end up being a productive member of the Kings but I truly do not think he's ready to be out there right now. You said it, and I agree: He looked lost a lot of the time.
Some people were just acting as if summer league Papa was out there. I don't think he's ready either but I don't see any harm in giving him some minutes against the Magic on a night when the veterans are resting. Seems like the perfect opportunity to get out there and get a feel for the game in non garbage time minutes. Plus he got to match up against a good defender in Biyombo. I'm sure the coaches will go over the tape with him and he will learn from the experience and improve on it the next time.

I didn't have a chance to tune in. Anything you want to highlight?
Coach was explaining why he gives skal minutes with WCS and collision with WCS. He wants the guys to build chemistry with each other. He said guys like collision and ty are feeling more confident that they know where their teammates will be at certain times. Coach is feeling confident with the direction this team of young guys is headed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Some people were just acting as if summer league Papa was out there. I don't think he's ready either but I don't see any harm in giving him some minutes against the Magic on a night when the veterans are resting. Seems like the perfect opportunity to get out there and get a feel for the game in non garbage time minutes. Plus he got to match up against a good defender in Biyombo. I'm sure the coaches will go over the tape with him and he will learn from the experience and improve on it the next time.
Fair enough.

I thought Papas second stint was solid. Thats something. He gave more effort to contain pick and rolls than Cousins did on most nights. One thing he has to learn is how to set good screens. If he can set a good screen for someone like Buddy and then dive he will get some easy baskets around the rim from the defense having to react. Id like to see him hit the weight room in the summer. He lost quite a bit of weight but it looks like he just lived on a treadmill. With a good weight program and diet he can lean out even more and build some strength so he can hold better positions inside.

man and I thought the Kings were terrible, the Magic are a disaster to watch.
Their a team full of guys playing out of position. 2s are playing the 3. Aaron Gordon who is clearly a 4 plays a lot of 3 and 5 in smaller lineups. Who knows what hezonja is. They play biyomba and vucevic at the same time when they are both 5s. I feel bad for Frank Vogel. They need to get rid of everyone sans Payton and Gordon and start over.

In all honesty, Glenn, I don't think anybody is piling on. I don't think anyone can argue that TO DATE Papa hasn't lived up to expectations whereas Skal and now Buddy are making us believe again.
I agree with Glenn about people piling on. Maybe you're just desensitized after what you've been through. Still, piling on is what I have come to expect from Kingsfans. :p

Buddy numbers with the Kings: 10 games

26.4 MPG
14.2 PPG
3.7 RPG
1.1 APG
0.8 SPG
66.7% TS (For those of you counting at home, this is insanely good)

Buddy as a starter for the Kings: 3 games

32.8 MPG
17.3 PPG
5.7 RPG
2 APG
65.6% TS (For those of you still counting at home, this should give you A LOT of hope on the kind of scorer he can be)

He's progressed so much from the start of the year and he's feeling comfortable using the same moves he used in college to light teams up. Brad Beal type production is starting to look very attainable for him.