[Game] Kings v. Lakers, Wednesday, Nov. 22 - 7:30 PT

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Like I said, it's almost like the team knew what King V Lakers means, ESPN be damned
I watched the ESPN broadcast and thoroughly enjoyed it. They talked about renewing a rivalry; they talked about how much Sacramento loves and supports our Kings; they talked about DeAaron and Willie and Frank (along with Z-Bo and Vince) as it they understood there were two teams out there and not just the Lakers. I have NO complaints about their coverage tonight. Now back in the studio? Don't know and don't care. Switched over for the post-game.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't know. He's really more of a really small SG at the moment. I think the people that described him as a BoJax type were right on the money. He could end up being a great scoring punch of the bench type.
Yeah you're probably right. The tandem of he and Bogdan as the co-PG will work for both of them.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Win two thirds of your home games, one third on the road and you are guaranteed playoff team every year = around 55 wins. Kings are long way from success with the road part.
I'm not so good at math, but if you win 2/3rds of one half of your games and 1/3rd of the other half, isn't that a 41 wins and a .500 record in this league?

Maybe .500 on the road and .666 at home (and we were more like .750-800 or better in the glory years) is the goal to shoot for?

I don't know. He's really more of a really small SG at the moment. I think the people that described him as a BoJax type were right on the money. He could end up being a great scoring punch of the bench type.
Yeah, we've got some key guys carving out roles for the bench recently. You can throw WCS and Bogdan in that group too; they seem to really work best off the bench. Unless Mason randomly bursts into an Isaiah Thomas type player, then keep him in the bench.

In the ideal best case scenario for us we should be hoping for this in a year or two.

Starters: Fox, Hield, Skal, Giles
Bench: Mason, Bogdan, WCS

The Lakers looked kind of as bad as the Kings do on the road. Kings were the aggressor most of the night. After a slow start, they sprinted ahead towards the latter 1st quarter to round out a proper mauling of the Lakers and protected the lead the rest of the game. Bogdan's play-making looked excellent with Cauley-Stein and Hield.
Randolph's mediocre defense in the game took a side seat to a glittering offensive performance. Where is this team every game?

every single time I've given up on Willie, he goes and balls out. please play like this every night willie...
I think he just needs to come off the bench as a 4/5 combo from now on. If Skal breaks out of his offensive slump and Giles' knees check-out then we could have a main 3 big rotation once Zbo and Koufos deals expire with WCS in that bench role, and we wouldn't have to worry about him being our franchise C anymore.

I watched the ESPN broadcast and thoroughly enjoyed it. They talked about renewing a rivalry; they talked about how much Sacramento loves and supports our Kings; they talked about DeAaron and Willie and Frank (along with Z-Bo and Vince) as it they understood there were two teams out there and not just the Lakers. I have NO complaints about their coverage tonight. Now back in the studio? Don't know and don't care. Switched over for the post-game.
Soooooooooooo..............ya know that stuff I said before the game?????? How I was debating between watching ESPN vs Local (Grant and Jerry) coverage? And I finally "settled" with the local coverage???????? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.......Well.....

I recorded the local coverage (and will definitely be buzzing through it over the weekend to hear Grant and Jerry, and Doug and Katie.......

BUT......I, too, thoroughly enjoyed it at the end of the day. At the beginning of the game, I thought, oh my god, they're gonna jump all over Lonzo's *****. But, as the game wore on, they were very pleasant to listen to. I absolutely love Doris Burke and feel like she is one of the best commentating minds in the business today. She definitely knows her stuff, and is not afraid to spread the love between both teams during the ENTIRE duration of whatever game she is calling at the time (pro and college alike).

Studio coverage was pretty bad. No love for the Kings (not much love for the Lakers either, tbh with you). They were too busy yapping over the "upset" in South Beach (Heat over Celtics) and also the beatdown in OKC (Thunder over Warriors).

Now, on to my Kings - Lakers game thoughts......

Willie Freaking Cauley-Stein.....If that guy can just find the ability to play CONSISTENT basketball every time he steps onto the court, he can easily be one of the premier big men in the league.

The Youngsters...Can't say enough about them. Only thing I can really say here that really paints the best picture is that the future is bright.

Randolph......Dude played out of his mind.....Reminded me a little (ok, maybe a lot) of the Jail Blazers Randolph....

Oh yeah, and as is the case at all times, it's ALWAYS a good time to be a KINGS fan. Always.

Last edited:
They ran the pick and roll way more this game than they have in most the games this year and bam...look at what happened.

More easy buckets at the hoop than they've had all year. Open 3's that they nailed. Way less long 2's. I think WCS only took one shot outside of 5ft from the basket all game. He doesn't need to do that. Ever. Unless it's a bail out at the end of the shot clock. Bogdan, the PnR expert from Europe comes in and finally gets to run a handful of PnR's and he throws about 5 lobs to Willie. Skal struggled but he rebounded well, especially on the offensive end. Mason was a bulldog. Shoot that 3 more kid. Hield impressed again. Fox was disappointing but he was better than he's been lately so I'll take it.

Good to see these guys put some stats up for a change.

Willie was unstoppable in the second half. Just took advantage of a very weak Lakers front line. Randle couldn't handle him and Lopez has lost a step. Willie has looked good in 3 of the last 4. He might be on to something. We can only hope.

BB played his best game as a King. Finding a great muse in WCS. Also, shot the ball well.

Fox VS Ball: Neither played that well. Ball's numbers were better, but in a lot more minutes.
At this point in time, Mason has been outplaying Fox for weeks now.

Props to Randolph who had a monstrous first quarter. His play really set the tone and energy for the rest of the team.

On the Negative: Hill and Skal looked Abysmal again. That's saying it nicely. Skal needs to be pushed back to the D league. Hill should be traded by the deadline.
Problem is, Kings will not have one taker. No team is paying 20 million per for Hill. Especially for 2 more years.

We're obviously set with Fox and Mason.

This was the first game I have seen all season, nice win. I was really impressed with Mason and Bogdan in this one, Bogdans ability to set up his teammates looks really promising.