[Game] Kings v. Jazz - 3/5/17 - 3PT/6ET

I disagree. It's either a bad call or a bad rule. The reasons why is steelevt's post below.

This is exactly right. And it makes no sense. Hill's shot was on the downward arc and was going to hit the front of the rim but Gobert interfered with it before it could do so. Had a Kings defender done the same thing Gobert did -- despite the fact that it wasn't going in the basket -- it would have been ruled a defensive goal tend just like the Cousins' play you are referring to.

So as I said above, it's either a bad call or a bad rule. The offensive player shouldn't be allow to interfere with a shot on it's downward arc that is clearly going to hit rim.

And let's not fail to mention that Gobert was in the key a full 4 seconds before Hill's shot even went up. That shot shouldn't have counted in multiple ways. And almost as bad, the game was only in OT to begin with because the refs can't count to 5 consistently. Utah got every gift imaginable today.

Couple of points here....first, I don't think he was in the key for 4 seconds. He was in the key for 3 seconds and then the shot went up. Once a shot goes up, the 3 second count is off. Regardless, when is the last time you have seen a 3 second call in a situation like this? It's just not going to happen.

It wasn't a bad call on the tip in. The rule has nothing to do whether it's going to hit the rim or not. It's all about if he interferes with the ball if it's in the cylinder. He clearly tips it before it hits the rim and before it gets in the cylinder. I've seen ally-oops that are similar. The rule has nothing to do with whether it's going to hit the rim.

the 5 second count I can't comment on because I only saw the OT period. I guess we'll see what the last 2 minute report says about it. They time it.

No, of course management has not stated that. I stated it (and will continue to re-state it from time to time) because I think that's what they should be doing. Feel free to disagree, but as someone who played competitive sports, the whole notion of tanking is just "wrong" to me. The closest I can get to being on board with tanking is to play the young guys more and the veterans less, but not to the point of setting the young guys up to fail and creating a losing culture. Joerger did an interview recently in which he said as much. But, of course, when push comes to shove, he still prefers to put the game in the hands of his veterans.
I think we agree :)

Good luck tomorrow. I think you're gonna need it. I watched the Pels tonight...they're starting to gel. :)
Will they gel before or after barely squeaking by one of the worst teams in the league? :p

The Celts waltzed into La La Land (terrible movie!) and ran the Lakers off the floor by 30. Isaiah was showboating halfway through the 3rd with bounce passes of the backboard. The Pelicans invited the Lakers to win that game because their perimeter core is so porous and Davis and Boogie don't have synergy yet. They are each playing on isolation island. Then you have Boogie, who played a nice game, being lazy in transition and fouling out against Randle with two minutes left and tie game. Your superstar has to be more aware of time and situation there. And a little hustle would be nice! I think if there is such a thing as "bad win" that was a bad win by the Pelicans.

I am not in the prediction business, but I predict the Jazz are going to beat the Pelicans by 20 points tonight. The easy scores Boogie got will not be there and the Jazz are feeling good after a win they didn't deserve.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but is "try to win while developing the youth" an objective that management actually stated? And assuming it is, playing the youth big minutes in games is not the only way to focus on development this year.
Actions speak louder than words.

If Vlade would have traded DMC for example for Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson, then that would signal to the fanbase, we just decided to go a different direction and we are still trying to make the playoffs.

But, when you trade your franchise player, a top 10 player, for a rookie and one 1st round pick, and your own 1st round pick hangs in the balance, then you are signalling to your fanbase that we are rebuilding. In which case, keeping your top 10 pick and developing the youth, becomes that much more important to the viability of your franchise going forward.

No Front Office is ever going to come out and say we are going to Tank (except for the 76ers ;)). But, their actions will tell you all you really need to know about their intentions.

Last edited:
No chance you watched the game and said with a straight face "Skal would have helped us win". Based off recent history and looking at the box score you can say that - but if you watched with your eyes the game tonight.. how would you conclude "Skal would have helped us win"? Skal was a bowling pin tonight.
I am not as vehement in my criticism of Joerger as Glassman RE: playing the youngsters. But I also don't think you need to treat Skal with kid gloves as if playing against tougher opponents is going to mentally shatter him. The guy has game and the problems he has on one end he can counter with effort and by creating problems on the other end. Fronting the post and denying the entry pass is something he can do against stronger dudes, using length and quickness. 20-30 minutes may not be optimal dosage for Skal but the coach could have found him more than 2 minutes! When your choices are Willie, Kosta and Tolliver, not exactly setting the court on fire, 10 minutes of court time is minimum for "Chris Bosh 2.0". :)

Once more into the breach...

Into the valley of death rode the 500...

#ILoveThisTeam
I think you meant 600. I loved this poem as a kid. Couldn't post it last night due to those nagging board issues ............ tis is life.

The Charge Of The Light Brigadeby Alfred, Lord TennysonMemorializing Events in the Battle of Balaclava, October 25, 1854
Written 1854

Half a league half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred:
'Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns' he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd ?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do & die,
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd & thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack & Russian
Reel'd from the sabre-stroke,
Shatter'd & sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse & hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wonder'd.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred!- See more at: http://www.nationalcenter.org/ChargeoftheLightBrigade.html#sthash.ZdDscZF5.dpuf

Is it just my imagination, or does it seem like, year in and year out, the fans who advocate most strongly for tanking, and the fans who spend money on tickets, are almost never the same fans?
Very good observation. :)

If I was dropping $200 on a Kings game, I suppose I would want to see them win too. ;)

But, I feel that the fan that is not spending all that money to watch this team live are more objective in what needs to happen, for this team to become viable again.

Just an example, but back in 2011, the Warriors had a top 11 or 12 protected lottery pick and they were sitting in between #11-15. What did they do? They tanked worse than I've ever seen any other teams blatantly tank, to make sure they kept their pick. And, because they kept their pick, instead of trying to win a few meaningless games, they drafted Klay Thompson at #11 and the rest is history.

Bad teams continue to be bad because they are short sighted in their goals. Sometimes the GM's goals don't match the coach's goals or vice versa.

Good teams, with good management and coaching have good long term goals and as an organization, they are all on the same page. They have to sacrifice their own preferences for the good of the team long term.

He also said that he wanted the team to play "like they did against Boston". Y'know, when the vets led the team to victory?
Your paying too close attention :) he also said he's sign up for two top picks this year when Christie posed that. I'm sure in an alternate world he'd like to see the Kings come together and be a formidable playoff team, and re sign all the vets that made it happen. But when it becomes apparent that won't/hasn't happen, I will assume they will work towards long term viability

Show me good losers and I will show you some real losers.
The new Kings are starting to reveal themselves. With a decent Coach like J they have potential.
Last night we watched the Kings play hard with some defense. They are a finesse team now. They might be able to fast break more. They already get pick and rolls. They rebounded pretty well.
Unfortunately they played a talented team and still lost.
The Kings seem very soft in the middle a lot of the time. I would hope for a first rounder at the 4 with some bulk that is hard to push around.
It is a lot of fun to see a team move the ball and play together. Rather than giving one player half the touches.
Maybe it is just me, but I like watching them play and don't really miss #15 at all. No complaining and team basketball is a revelation to watch. Go Kings.

Show me good losers and I will show you some real losers.
The new Kings are starting to reveal themselves. With a decent Coach like J they have potential.
Last night we watched the Kings play hard with some defense. They are a finesse team now. They might be able to fast break more. They already get pick and rolls. They rebounded pretty well.
Unfortunately they played a talented team and still lost.
The Kings seem very soft in the middle a lot of the time. I would hope for a first rounder at the 4 with some bulk that is hard to push around.
It is a lot of fun to see a team move the ball and play together. Rather than giving one player half the touches.
Maybe it is just me, but I like watching them play and don't really miss #15 at all. No complaining and team basketball is a revelation to watch. Go Kings.
To each their own. Only thing I don't understand, why everybody assumes it's impossible to play team basketball with #15. The guy tried very hard to get his teammates involved this season.
But somehow it's his fault, that Willie coulnd't find a way to be productive alongside him and decided to show insulting effort for half the season?
Agree on fast breaks and pick&rolls. The Kings are a lot closer to the actual common blueprint of NBA teams than before. We decided to zig with the rest and to give up on zagging. But that alone doesn't make it more team basketball. It's just more uptempo and more guard reliant.
One big reason, why guards are a must in the draft and not a strong, physical 4. To make this work, we need a star guard. We don't need a 4, unless he is mobile as a wing and can shoot 3's. And we can try to overpay Jamychal Green in FA to get a player like that, if we don't want to trust Skal going forward. There is no way we get a star guard via FA.