[Game] Kings v. Jazz - 3/5/17 - 3PT/6ET

Hield's passing and ball handling need to be improved. I could easily see him losing PT to Ben for the next game. His numbers as a King is really solid, but anyone who's watched the games has seen that Hield has been terrible outside of his 1st game.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Hield's passing and ball handling need to be improved. I could easily see him losing PT to Ben for the next game. His numbers as a King is really solid, but anyone who's watched the games has seen that Hield has been terrible outside of his 1st game.

That's why he needs court time. To work on those handles. He looked a lot better with the ball in this one outside of a few bad passes and not knowing there was a defender in the area behind him.

Big Lin. With Phoenix and Dallas starting to play well and Embiid being hurt, there's definitely a shot of the Kings and 76ers slipping to 3rd and 4rth worst records. Would like to see the kids get more PT, but good to play well and lose.

Just wondering, is there a different rule concerning that last play for offense vs defense? For some reason I thought of a play awhile back when the opposing team shot a 3 and it was gonna be short and possibly hit the front of the rim. DMC jumped and grabbed the ball but got called for goal tending.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not EVER wanting to start an argument with the esteemed VF21, this game was perfect. ;) Well played game that we lost. I love me some Willie.
I'm not upset that we lost because Joerger didn't coach to lose. His strategy was right. WCS is learning a valuable lesson IMHO. If you want to be "the man" you'd better be able to make those FTs when they matter the most.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's one thing if the kings would have won with the young kids playing, but a win with The vets and 3 of the 5 players not under contract for next year on the floor would have been ridiculous.

Coach Joeger is obviously not on board with the rebuild!

Tank goodness we lost this game!!!
If you saw the pregame, you would have heard Koz and Jerry Reynolds discussing this very thing. It's not Joerger's job to coach to lose. It's not the players' job to go out there and lose. This is their profession. They're gonna do their best. I really don't understand the tank crew philosophy. You got your wish. The team lost. Why not just accept that it was a good game for those of us who DO NOT like the idea of tanking? All Kings fans should be happy tonight but nooooooooooo. Still gotta complain about how they didn't tank well enough. I give up...

Big Lin. With Phoenix and Dallas starting to play well and Embiid being hurt, there's definitely a shot of the Kings and 76ers slipping to 3rd and 4rth worst records. Would like to see the kids get more PT, but good to play well and lose.
Yeah, although it's s threat to Pelicans bottoming out too (Suns)

It's one thing if the kings would have won with the young kids playing, but a win with The vets and 3 of the 5 players not under contract for next year on the floor would have been ridiculous.

Coach Joeger is obviously not on board with the rebuild!

Tank goodness we lost this game!!!
I was pissed at Joerger, and still don't trust him at all with youth and long term viability, but to his account the Kings were only 2.5 in back of the 8th. Pitchforks will be out if this is still going on when we are 5 out

If you saw the pregame, you would have heard Koz and Jerry Reynolds discussing this very thing. It's not Joerger's job to coach to lose. It's not the players' job to go out there and lose. This is their profession. They're gonna do their best. I really don't understand the tank crew philosophy. You got your wish. The team lost. Why not just accept that it was a good game for those of us who DO NOT like the idea of tanking? All Kings fans should be happy tonight but nooooooooooo. Still gotta complain about how they didn't tank well enough. I give up...
But we still want the youth to develop. I think that's the main issue. If the team won and Skal/Buddy and even Papa were balling, fine. But at this point sub par vets who won't be here next year balling and hurting our pick is a double whammy. It's more about developing our long term options

If the Kings were playing the young kids and were competing and if they win, then great!

But when 3 of the 5 players that were playing the last quarter and overtime are not even under contract for next year, then what is the point!

Really, even from the coaches point of view, if he is trying to improve his team for the future, he needs to play the players that will still be on the team come next year!

To win a meaningless game with players that are most likely not going to be playing for you next year is really short sighted!

They should be getting playing time to skal, buddy, wcs, temple. Players that will be around next year and help you build towards the future!

maybe vivek should watch a few dallas games. there's a guy playing for them that has the potential to be the next steph curry. if he doesnt know who, just look for the guy wearing steph curry's number and oh yeah has the same last name. as im typing he is currently shooting 9-12 from the field

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If the Kings were playing the young kids and were competing and if they win, then great!

But when 3 of the 5 players that were playing the last quarter and overtime are not even under contract for next year, then what is the point!

Really, even from the coaches point of view, if he is trying to improve his team for the future, he needs to play the players that will still be on the team come next year!

To win a meaningless game with players that are most likely not going to be playing for you next year is really short sighted!

They should be getting playing time to skal, buddy, wcs, temple. Players that will be around next year and help you build towards the future!
Those vets you are so quick to want to toss to the curb just might want to continue playing after this year.

I give up arguing. I'm going to enjoy the games and root for my team to WIN every single game. #GoKings

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It's a bit much. I totally agree with you. I'm almost inclined to go back over the notes to see if you are complaining about me. :) I won't check because my attitude is that the team must play to win. Heck we didn't use Reke or McBen. That should be good enough if Joerger must be held responsible for the crime of coming close. As I wrote earlier, this team, often labeled as the worst team in the league, shouldn't even have made a game of it.

Maybe this team is better than people think. Give them a few day's practice and a night of bonding over dinner and poof! where'd that cruddy team go? Let's rejoice over Willie's play. The fans were chanting his name, for Pete's sake. He probably will be inconsistent which is appropriate for his experience but my goodness he is an athlete. I have advocated buying out Afflalo's contract for next year because he hasn't looked that good. Now with the likelihood that Bogdan may not come over and Afflalo's play in this game, I am more relaxed about our sgs. Rejoice and if you are so picky that you find this an appropriate time to complain about a coach who coached a good game, it may be wise to think about it first. Joerger did what he is paid to do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's a bit much. I totally agree with you. I'm almost inclined to go back over the notes to see if you are complaining about me. :) I won't check because my attitude is that the team must play to win. Heck we didn't use Reke or McBen. That should be good enough if Joerger must be held responsible for the crime of coming close. As I wrote earlier, this team, often labeled as the worst team in the league, shouldn't even have made a game of it.
Two things:
1. Nope, not complaining about you.
2. Tyreke didn't play as he's still on a bit of restriction coming back from his knee surgery. His minutes are no longer limited per game but he's still not playing back-to-backs.

If you sit your vets in a close game like this, still within shouting distance of the 8th spot, with 20+ games to go, you have not just signaled tank with the trading of boogie, you have actually rubbed everyone's nose in it. It's way too early to do that. Game 75? Sure. But right now that breeds a complete losers mentality. You think the fans that were at G1C and enjoyed a hell of a game are complaining the kids should have been out there in the 4th at the expense of an overtime thriller?

Buddy played well in spots, but did not deserve extended minutes with his careless turnovers in the second half. I would have liked to see more Skal, less Kosta, but I can respect coach's philosophy there. Let's give Skal the best chance at success this early in this learning curve. Rudy/Favors frontline is probably not ideal. Same deal with Papa. The coaching staff has done wonders with WCS this year and I'll trust the same strategy with the other youngsters.

Plenty of teams have done the throw the kids out there for "experience" and it's not some magic strategy that will necessarily create a superstar. Need to keep pushing to change the culture and to breed the never die mentality that hopefully is our calling card in the future.

I love Skal - it's totally on the record that I love him. But he was embarrassed in his 2 min. Paps would have been embarrassed much much worse.

Just because Dave isn't playing the kids doesn't mean he isn't developing them. I actually think he is developing them better than if he started Heild, Skal & WCS every night and let them get slaughtered... or worse if he let them stay on the floor over better players when they are coughing up the ball or being just dominated physically. I actually think Dave is doing a masterful job of developing the youth and I can see him and WCS/Skal/Buddy/Malachi being together for a long long time.

I'm ride or die with Dave & Vlade. This game was a blast.

If you sit your vets in a close game like this, still within shouting distance of the 8th spot, with 20+ games to go, you have not just signaled tank with the trading of boogie, you have actually rubbed everyone's nose in it. It's way too early to do that. Game 75? Sure. But right now that breeds a complete losers mentality. You think the fans that were at G1C and enjoyed a hell of a game are complaining the kids should have been out there in the 4th at the expense of an overtime thriller?

Buddy played well in spots, but did not deserve extended minutes with his careless turnovers in the second half. I would have liked to see more Skal, less Kosta, but I can respect coach's philosophy there. Let's give Skal the best chance at success this early in this learning curve. Rudy/Favors frontline is probably not ideal. Same deal with Papa. The coaching staff has done wonders with WCS this year and I'll trust the same strategy with the other youngsters.

Plenty of teams have done the throw the kids out there for "experience" and it's not some magic strategy that will necessarily create a superstar. Need to keep pushing to change the culture and to breed the never die mentality that hopefully is our calling card in the future.
Wait until game 75 to tank?

You do realize that if the Kings finish #11-14, we will lose our lottery pick? And may wind up with no 1st round draft picks this year and no hope for the foreseeable future!

If the Kings owned their draft pick outright, I would cheer for every win possible! But, we don't and if we win meaningless games now and have no draft picks and no free agents coming, we will really be screwed.

It's really that simple.

Wait until game 75 to tank?

You do realize that if the Kings finish #11-14, we will lose our lottery pick? And may wind up with no 1st round draft picks this year and no hope for the foreseeable future!

If the Kings owned their draft pick outright, I would cheer for every win possible! But, we don't and if we win meaningless games now and have no draft picks and no free agents coming, we will really be screwed.

It's really that simple.
Well you cheering or not cheering won't have any impact on which position they finish or where they draft or whether the Pels hit top 3 lotto. So why not cheer and have fun and let the lotto tank crap work itself out?

Those vets you are so quick to want to toss to the curb just might want to continue playing after this year.

I give up arguing. I'm going to enjoy the games and root for my team to WIN every single game. #GoKings
Of course the vets will still get minutes. The rookies are not going to play 48 minutes a game.

But when Skal gets 2 minutes of playing time and buddy gets 19 And then toliver gets 27 and afflalo gets 40 minutes, there is something not right.

Wouldn't you think that Skal and buddy would had benefited from some of those minutes?

Who do you think is more important for the future of the Kings?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Of course the vets will still get minutes. The rookies are not going to play 48 minutes a game.

But when Skal gets 2 minutes of playing time and buddy gets 19 And then toliver gets 27 and afflalo gets 40 minutes, there is something not right.

Wouldn't you think that Skal and buddy would had benefited from some of those minutes?

Who do you think is more important for the future of the Kings?
Skal would have been murdered against this frontline. Didn't he pick up like 2 fouls in 2 minutes?

Short term, it was definitely the right move, especially when your next game is tomorrow vs. a Nuggets team that provides a more favorable matchup. I'm going to anticipate that he sees more minutes in that game.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

As a fan I want to see my team play hard and compete. As an organization the Kings want to lose and keep/maximize their draft pick.

So really this was an ideal game. I was entertained, the Kings scrapped hard against a good Jazz team and ultimately they didn't hurt their draft position.

And as Joerger said post game, this was playoff like intensity. That is big for WCS. As for Hield, Labissiere, Papagiannis and Richardson (when healthy) if they want to play they need to bust their hump in practice.

Just giving young guys minutes because you want to tank (1) takes away one source of motivation for them to work hard and EARN minutes and (2) can allow a losing mindset to sink in. I have had issues with Joerger's decisions at times this year but I have no problem with how he coaches tonight.

Skal would have been murdered against this frontline. Didn't he pick up like 2 fouls in 2 minutes?

Short term, it was definitely the right move, especially when your next game is tomorrow vs. a Nuggets team that provides a more favorable matchup. I'm going to anticipate that he sees more minutes in that game.
Yes, Skal was overmatched against Gobert, but he is not a center and the Utah 2nd unit consists of a 50 year old Boris Diaw and joe engles.

I think Skal would had held his own against utah's bench.