[Game] Kings v. Hornets, 1/25/16. 7PM PST, 10PM EST.

Is Boogie an All-Star?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you watch the replay, Kaminski basically runs him around the court and ends with a hip check
I guess Collison should be blamed for not flopping and trying to sell the offensive foul like Kemba Walker and Kaminisky did ;)

In all seriousness, they seem to always pick and choose when to call that kind of crap. On one possession it's called, the next it's not. But if they are going to let that kind of contact go because of the time remaining and situation, then they should have held their whistle late in the 1st OT between Kemba Walker and WCS.

Last edited:
I'm only now logging in (I live over an hour from Arco) and I'm really happy that the tone is "good fight" and not "doom & gloom". Sure we can improve on some stuff, but there were some really great moments - some serious clutch FT's from DMC when he had to be dead tired. We will come back tomorrow and beat the Blazers.

Did anybody notice how chippy Karl was post-game? Said something like "I know you're wanting to write something, so go ahead and write it".

Was definitely a "got your money's worth" kind of game. I made a last second decision to buy a nosebleed seat and make the trek on down alone... glad I did.

I think Seth and Quincy need to see some minutes tomorrow and in general we need our role players to step up. Cuz shold not be needing to score 50+ points a night for us to win games.
If he's doing it on 70% shooting I'll take it... every night.

Our defense lost us this game. Give up 42 in a quarter... 115 in regulation...

We need a guard who can create his own shot. Cousins fouling out + Rudy's eye transplant made that obvious. Willie stepped up huge in OT + 2OT. That Omri-Willie play was insanely good but also demonstrated the, lets face, luck that we needed to score with Cousins out. Rondo / Collison / Casspi / Belli / WCS . . . how does that ever work when we need buckets? Tons of talent but no one to create and to take the shot.

I am so happy for DeMarcus. Amazing player and amazing night. This is his year. He's growing up. Him with Karl and Rondo is a really special combo. Willie carrying the load for the front court is great too. Big fella averaging 50/11 over 2 games and fouled out a small army tonight. Stay humble and keep eating, this squad is here to stay.

We as fans could play the what-if scenario all night:

What if Cousin's didn't get that technical? What if Rudy was able to hit those 3's? What if Ben played instead of Marco?

I feel that the team was beaten by an insanely hot hand. That's its. I'm just glad this team is giving us something to care about again.
Agree with you. Some nights the other team just gets hot and the best defense in the world can't stop them. We've won on games like that before too. Tough loss, move on.

If he's doing it on 70% shooting I'll take it... every night.

Our defense lost us this game. Give up 42 in a quarter... 115 in regulation...
I don't know if it was so much our defense as it was their offense. They just refused to miss in the 3rd quarter, had their bigs hitting 3s. While Daniels lit us up so did Hawes who Cousins was guarding. Look at Daniels' last 3 to win the game - Collison was there, Daniels was far out. It was a bad shot, but it went in. It happens.

K

KingMilz

Quincy Acy can defend stretch 4's and he sees a total of 0mins.......that's terrible we lost to a team missing MKG/Batum/Jefferson/Zeller literally 4 starters for that team.

Amazing game by Cuz and I loved some of the sneaky skills shown by WCS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hate the way Cuz gets punished for being the strongest guy on the court. Kaminsky is unable to hold his ground? Who cares - a soft, weak guy like that shouldn't be able to guard Cousins.

And I would love to hear the guy Grant went off on in his radio show for calling Cousins a superstar to give the so called color announcer a good long laugh. Grant is just embarissing.

dude12

Hall of Famer
This is the type of team we have trouble with, as Karl said as much. Perimeter based offense driven by the guards and an unlimited amount of 3 point shooters including their bigs. They will have to figure this out at some point.

By the way, Portland is a perimeter oriented team driven by their guards....lead by Lillard and McCollum. Back to back after double OT game and missing Rudy....doesn't look good going in.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is the type of team we have trouble with, as Karl said as much. Perimeter based offense driven by the guards and an unlimited amount of 3 point shooters including their bigs. They will have to figure this out at some point.

By the way, Portland is a perimeter oriented team driven by their guards....lead by Lillard and McCollum. Back to back after double OT game and missing Rudy....doesn't look good going in.
Well if the Kings struggle with all these perimeter oriented guards, Portland is identical, they have floor spacers all over the place, even Myers Leonard is shooting three's.

Quincy Acy can defend stretch 4's and he sees a total of 0mins.......that's terrible we lost to a team missing MKG/Batum/Jefferson/Zeller literally 4 starters for that team.

Amazing game by Cuz and I loved some of the sneaky skills shown by WCS.
Better than WCS/ Rudy can? I really, really didn't see this loss as a strategy/lineup problem. They couldn't miss from 3 in the 3rd Q - plain and simple, had really little to do with our defense.

CLEARLY A GOALTEND. CLEARLY.

Well, Mr Napier, I think there was an offensive foul first.

CLEARLY A GOALTEND JERRY WHAT A SMART TECH.
They're getting worse, and worse, and worse.

Neither noticed the blatant travel by Daniels on the game winner either no matter how many times they watched it. Missed the ball of Milsap the game before. It's like they're watching something else most of the time.

Better than WCS/ Rudy can? I really, really didn't see this loss as a strategy/lineup problem. They couldn't miss from 3 in the 3rd Q - plain and simple, had really little to do with our defense.
Same. As for the last shot, you can't really put that on anybody. You can say why wasn't Collison in his grill, but he likely wasn't expecting him to immediately pull up from 35 feet that soon. Flat out, you take last night's shot scenario every time. Horrible low % shot and we had 9 seconds to make something in the case that it went in.

Karl said the that his best perimeter defender is Curry, who sat on the bench last night. Someone please explain.....
I'm still trying to figure out the switching strategy, and then the subsequent double off of it. It's like they didn't even TRY to stay matched up. Kemba/Lin would set up the pick and roll, and WCS would just automatically switch without even having Collison or Rondo trying to stay on them. Then on the drive Collison or Rondo would DOUBLE, leaving the screener wide freaking open. UGH it just made zero sense.

If you're so confident in the switch that you're just going to let it happen, then don't freaking double!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe Vlade should call the TWolves for a trade

Marco/DC for Martin/Bazz/Dre

I like Marco but Karl is using him in a wrong way.
The way Karl runs him is how Martin actually plays, which running around multiple screen and do those turnaround shots. This is KMart's bread and butter not Marco.
Marco is a spot-up pure shooter.

As for DC, he is just Karl's temptation candy.
We get Bazz to rotate as SG/SF (if opponents go small) and we get Dre to mentor Curry.
Rondo + Dre should sky rocket Curry's play making instincts.
There is no doubt that Karl is using Marco differently than they did in San Antonio, but it you watched any of the European championships games, they used Marco exactly how Karl is using him, coming off of screens. The only difference is, he was making his shots then. The way other teams are guarding Belinelli, if you stuck him in a corner, he'd seldom get a shot. Karl is trying to find ways to get him open. That said, I think it's time to try something else, like either a trade, or stick Curry out there and see what you have. Maybe you get surprised, and if nothing else, you certainly get better defense.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm still trying to figure out the switching strategy, and then the subsequent double off of it. It's like they didn't even TRY to stay matched up. Kemba/Lin would set up the pick and roll, and WCS would just automatically switch without even having Collison or Rondo trying to stay on them. Then on the drive Collison or Rondo would DOUBLE, leaving the screener wide freaking open. UGH it just made zero sense.

If you're so confident in the switch that you're just going to let it happen, then don't freaking double!
The only conclusion I can come to is that someone is making a mistake. I see two players guarding the same player far too often. Especially when it's not necessary. It's obvious that their using WCS as the guy that stops the ball anywhere on the perimeter, which means he going to step in and stop the P&R whereever it happens. Occasionally Willie makes a mistake, but more often than not, it's usually one of the guards that screws up. It has more to do with confusion than the system. I doubt that the plan was to leave a good three point shooter open. I've gotten to the point where when Belinelli comes into the game, I go into the other room and get on the computer. I just can't stand watching him play anymore. If he can't hit a shot, he's worthless. I feel for him, but it's time for a change.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think Seth and Quincy need to see some minutes tomorrow and in general we need our role players to step up. Cuz shold not be needing to score 50+ points a night for us to win games.
Well first, we didn't win. And I think Michael Jordan proved with the Bulls a long time ago that his team couldn't win with him scoring 50 pt's a game either. But once he had the perfect group around him, that defended, moved the ball, and distributed the scoring, his life got easier, and they starting winning. When one player is scoring that many points, it usually means you don't have anyone else you feel confident to go to. I'm not talking about one game. I'm talking about long term and a possible NBA championship. The Hornets were hard to defend last night because you didn't know where the next shot was coming from. They knew our next shot was coming from Cuz, and fortunately for us, they couldn't stop him.

If I say that Ben is a far better player right now, this season, than Belinelli is, that tells you everything you need to know. That's more of an indictment of Belinelli than it is praise for Ben. No offense Ben, you have improved, but you wouldn't be starting on a potential championship team. That doesn't mean I don't like you, or don't think you have a future in the league, but that we need more than that right now if were going to be a solid playoff team. A change needs to be made, and I think Vlade is well aware of that.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't know if it was so much our defense as it was their offense. They just refused to miss in the 3rd quarter, had their bigs hitting 3s. While Daniels lit us up so did Hawes who Cousins was guarding. Look at Daniels' last 3 to win the game - Collison was there, Daniels was far out. It was a bad shot, but it went in. It happens.
I'll give him credit for hitting the shot, but if you watched the entire play in slow mo, he traveled. For one thing, he left his feet and came back down before shooting the ball, and that's traveling unless both feet touch the ground at the same time, which they didn't. While I admit that it's much easier to see in slow motion, it looked like traveling to these old eyes in real time as well. Overall it was a poorly officiated game. Walker got the benefit of a lot of calls, and non calls. But that's life in the NBA. My only complaint with Cousins, aside from getting a technical, is him forgetting to guard Hawes on the perimeter. About the only thing Hawes does anymore is shoot threes.

Need to see Quincy, Seth and Ben get more minutes tonight. Quincy for his energy and ability to guard on the perimeter and Seth and Ben are the best perimeter defenders we have. I'm expecting to get run out, but if their shots aren't falling and we use Cuz effectively we could make a game of it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The NBA Official report is up. Daniel's travel during his game winning three was ruled an incorrect non-call.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/01/L2M-CHA-SAC-1-25-16.pdf
I am less bothered by the no-call as I am by the fact that it only serves to illustrate how egregious Cousins' sixth foul call was. Like, you can equivocate, and be like, "Well, Actually™, it was technically a foul...", except nobody ever gets that call, when they're having a career night. Any other star, they're having a night like Cousins had last night, they'd basically have to go Full Kermit in order to get thrown out of the game.