[Game] Kings v. Hawks 11/05/13 Game Thread

He's going to Kansas! Same sentiment though!
As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle I believe. Have you been able to watch Wiggins with Kansas so far? Lately I have been hearing he was overhyped. Think he can come in right away and make a huge impact or is he more of a project with tons of upside? Maybe both!

You know what would bring a lot more of a positive feeling right away? Playing Ray McCallum and Ben McClemore more. Make the goal of development crystal clear with who you play.

A team can be fun to follow, without getting a lot of wins. What's usually not fun, is when players who everyone realizes are not part of the future are getting a lot of playing time. While that has to be done at times, it is rather uninspiring while it goes on.

I think the vibe would be different, if a guy like Ray McCallum was getting some time

People are pretty upset and, at least for me, it is difficult to have a reasonable discussion as there seems to be no reasonable solutions for this train wreck of a team.
those who didn't think that a 1-3 start was entirely within the realm of possibility for this team had their expectations in the clouds. i know that the "new era" schtick is thrilling, and i know that the arco thunder was electric on opening night, but i can't believe how much melodramatic overreacting i'm seeing in thread-after-thread-after-thread. what did fans actually think the kings would achieve this season? i've said it in other threads, but this kings team is home to a rotation that features john salmons, chuck hayes, and travis outlaw. it's best shooter doesn't see the court. it's most intriguing prospect is a rookie that can't dribble. it's starting PG is flat-footed and slow. it's starting SG is as streaky as they come. it's franchise centerpiece hasn't figured out how to dominate regularly. and there's barely an average defender on the roster, despite the effort we see from time to time. 1-3 sounds about right to me. dunno what everyone else was expecting...

those who didn't think that a 1-3 start was entirely within the realm of possibility for this team had their expectations in the clouds. i know that the "new era" schtick is thrilling, and i know that the arco thunder was electric on opening night, but i can't believe how much melodramatic overreacting i'm seeing in thread-after-thread-after-thread. what did fans actually think the kings would achieve this season? i've said it in other threads, but this kings team is home to a rotation that features john salmons, chuck hayes, and travis outlaw. it's best shooter doesn't see the court. it's most intriguing prospect is a rookie that can't dribble. it's starting PG is flat-footed and slow. it's starting SG is as streaky as they come. it's franchise centerpiece hasn't figured out how to dominate regularly. and there's barely an average defender on the roster, despite the effort we see from time to time. 1-3 sounds about right to me. dunno what everyone else was expecting...
Exactly. The front office didn't (or couldn't) do more to improve the team. The parts are still mismatched and lack talent. Malone will hopefully continue to put his systems in place but for now we don't have defenders which impacts both sides of the court. No real surprise (for me at least).

Exactly. The front office didn't (or couldn't) do more to improve the team. The parts are still mismatched and lack talent. Malone will hopefully continue to put his systems in place but for now we don't have defenders which impacts both sides of the court. No real surprise (for me at least).
i don't remember which thread i said it in, but heading into the preseason i predicted that the kings would be lucky to win 30 games this year. i stand by that. there's just not enough talent here on either side of the ball. they'll likely finish a few games better than last season simply because of malone's emphasis on defense and rebounding, and especially because of cousins' potential to dominate on any given night. but, more often than not, his "shooters" will clang their jumpers off the rim, and the defense won't be good enough to make up the difference...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think people were expecting more of a competitive game against Atlanta. There are many excuses, reasonable excuses, to be made about a Clippers or Golden State loss but when we get to the hawks AT HOME, we are faced smack dab in the face with how bad we are.

Wait until we go on the road. Think about it. After all the hoopla about the new ownership, the new arena, etc. we are faced with a team that is bad and not only bad but perhaps worse than last year. Reality sucks when the excitement is wiped off the exterior and we see what is underneath.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
i don't remember which thread i said it in, but heading into the preseason i predicted that the kings would be lucky to win 30 games this year. i stand by that. there's just not enough talent here on either side of the ball. they'll likely finish a few games better than last season simply because of malone's emphasis on defense and rebounding, and especially because of cousins' potential to dominate on any given night. but, more often than not, his "shooters" will clang their jumpers off the rim, and the defense won't be good enough to make up the difference...
At the beginning of the season I said the team was worse than last year but might win more because of Malone. So there!!!! ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Yeah, but the Hawks have owned us, since ever. Beating the Warriors in the second night of a back-to-back, on the road, would have been a more reasonable expectation.

I think people were expecting more of a competitive game against Atlanta. There are many excuses, reasonable excuses, to be made about a Clippers or Golden State loss but when we get to the hawks AT HOME, we are faced smack dab in the face with how bad we are.

Wait until we go on the road. Think about it. After all the hoopla about the new ownership, the new arena, etc. we are faced with a team that is bad and not only bad but perhaps worse than last year. Reality sucks when the excitement is wiped off the exterior and we see what is underneath.
meh. hawks are 2-2. they lost josh smith in the offseason, and that hurts them considerably on the defensive end, but they're not terrible. they're a middling eastern conference team in the hunt for the 8th seed, which is more than can be said of the kings, who will likely be basement-bound out west for an eighth straight season. in my estimation, the hawks are precisely the kind of team the kings are likely to underestimate at home...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
meh. hawks are 2-2. they lost josh smith in the offseason, and that hurts them considerably on the defensive end, but they're not terrible. they're a middling eastern conference team in the hunt for the 8th seed, which is more than can be said of the kings, who will likely be basement-bound out west for an eighth straight season. in my estimation, the hawks are precisely the kind of team the kings are likely to underestimate at home...
Easy enough to say now that they have underestimated them at home. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What is going on around here?

From the little I've seen on choppy streams, starting IT/MLM in the backcourt would be the best solution at this point. Better defensive pairing and much more of an offensive presence. More dynamic on both ends.

I'd say you can't possibly be serious and you're joking, but I can't tell with some posts I'm reading around here. Sad state of affairs this early in the season some of the crap I'm reading in these threads.
Jimmer fans have been emboldened and are uniting as one to try and convince the rest of us he is, in fact, a future HoF player whose talents are totally wasted here. We could be in the WCF if only we heeded their words.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Jimmer fans have been emboldened and are uniting as one to try and convince the rest of us he is, in fact, a future HoF player whose talents are totally wasted here. We could be in the WCF if only we heeded their words.
I know you mean what you are saying but I'd prefer it if you were being sarcastic.