[Game] Kings v. Clippers - Saturday, 11/25 - 7 PT

I'd call it kingfully brutal (or brutally kingful).

Despite what Grant and Jerry said, I am not sure if it was even their worst quarter of the year. They have a habit of forcing things when shots aren't falling. They don't have anyone who can get consistent easy buckets.
Kings lost despite Hield. That's the post-mortem. Kings were up 65-47......by the end of the quarter it was 76-71 Clippers. A 29-6 run.... They just needed an average 3rdQ scoring-wise say 17 pts or so....this unfortunately shows the team can meltdown at any given quarter in the game despite outscoring the other 3 quarters - still managing to lose.

Well Dave you said you were waiting for someone to stand out so you can cut the rotation a bit. Well what else does Buddy need to do? Buddy is the only player on the squad with takeover potential right now.
Love Hield's performance tonight. A gamer. But, putting him back in the starting lineup is not the answer.
It still took Hield almost 20 games to have a 20 pt performance. There's something to say about consistency.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings lost despite Hield. That's the post-mortem. Kings were up 65-47......by the end of the quarter it was 76-71 Clippers. A 29-6 run.... They just needed an average 3rdQ scoring-wise say 17 pts or so....this unfortunately shows the team can meltdown at any given quarter in the game despite outscoring the other 3 quarters - still managing to lose.
It also shows that despite a 3rd quarter meltdown, OUR YOUNG TEAM still fought and fought hard...and almost won. Any team can have a meltdown on any given night. They'll learn from this, just like they've already learned from some of their other loses.

Love Hield's performance tonight. A gamer. But, putting him back in the starting lineup is not the answer.
It still took Hield almost 20 games to have a 20 pt performance. There's something to say about consistency.
Any breakout performance the way Joerger is running his rotation is an anomaly. Tonight was a platoon breaker.

And an answer for what though? The answer to me seems to the be the same one Joerger said he's looking for and that's for someone to stand out. The bottom line is that Buddy is his best weapon offensively on a team that struggles to score 90 some nights and has had just about zero breakout performances (opportunity based IMO) from anyone so far this year. At some point I think logic points to a direction and it ain't where it's been pointing up to now. It's time to start playing players some legit starters minutes and in roles more in tune with what they are then see what it can do for balance. Personally I'd like to see him put his most prolific talent out there at the same time to play against the other teams best every night, and Buddy would be one of them. Bogdan another. Up the shots to where they belong and cut them where they don't. Find a focus. Right now the shots fluctuate in too many different directions and when the offensive flow stops working because the other team adjusts the Kings stop dead in their tracks. Buddy got super hot tonight but you can't expect a single player on any random night to make things respectable almost every night. It's the job of a coach to make sure those types of performances are not so unusual. Then if they fail at least you know more than you did before.

It sounded to me like Joerger might have been doing this to stack the cards against his young guys to see if they would take the challenge head on. Well, we'll see what happens next because Buddy took the team on his shoulders and was the first one to do so, and he did it off the bench in a platoon system. Not typical at all.

WCS needs to start and play with the same focus and style (rolling to the rim hard/blocking shots) as a reserve we didn't use a 6th pick on him so he could dominate Sam Dekker off the bench we need him out there against Blake so Blake does not score 15 points and get into a groove before WCS enters the game.

Buddy/WCS if they want to be in the teams future have to be quality starters not guys that come off the bench they are both like 24/25 it really is time for them to step into starting roles. The team needs to identify who can start and go against the best of the best in the NBA you can easily find bench players.

Losses like these are so much harder for me to take than 10 or 20 point losses....
Its a tough loss because of the nature of it. 29-6 run is close to insurmountable for this Kings team. If a team can't stop their opponent, they have to be able to at least score against their opponent. Could'a been worse....think Nuggets vs Rockets 47 pt differential 114-67 during th game

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Its a tough loss because of the nature of it. 29-6 run is close to insurmountable for this Kings team. If a team can't stop their opponent, they have to be able to at least score against their opponent. Could'a been worse....think Nuggets vs Rockets 47 pt differential 114-67 during th game
It'll all be worth it when our (Ayton/Bagley)/Giles/Willie frontcourt is running roughshod over the opposition next season.

Painful loss but nice to see Buddy reclaim his rightful surname. That is the real Buddy, the Buddy that I have forecasting stardom for since Day 0 as a Pelican.

And just like that Buddy No-Buckets is vanquished and Buddy Buckets is back! The last time we saw Buddy go into "unconscious mode" was Laker pre-season game in which he went on a light-out tear in Vegas. In his new role and assimilation with the second unit, I anticipate more of the same as comfort increases and confidence soars.

With that said, I wish Buddy would have attacked Jordan's right shoulder and forced the ref to make a call instead of flinging a left hand hook shot. Jordan was not set he was sliding his feet and I think Buddy could have baited the ref into a foul call. Or you fake drive and step back even 5-6 feet behind the arc and let if fly. I think Buddy kind of got confused there with what he wanted to do but tremendous performance nevertheless, bring his 3 point percentage to 44% on the year!

Buddy is currently 21st in the league in 3s. Don't worry, he will be Top 10 soon! :)

Buddy is up to 55% TS (after terrible start) after 60% TS in his 25 games last year and 67% TS in his final season at OSU. These numbers don't lie. You don't log this kind of efficiency if all you can do is spot shoot. A lot of his 3s he created on his own after the catch. (Take note, Boggy).

On a team that 50.9% TS second worst in the league behind the Bulls, Buddy needs more looks and second unit is where he can get them since when he's on the floor with Z-Bong and Skal the ball goes inside first and often never comes back out, since these are our two best post threats. With Buddy on the floor with non-post scorers (though Willie may think he's one) the ball is more likely to find its way back to the perimeter. He is more likely a focal point.

As far as the catastrophic third quarter, this is not totally unexpected for a team that averages 95 points a game. After a 60 point first half, you could consider their point total in the 3rd a reversion to the mean. After all they ended the game scoring at their per game average of 95 PPG.

The Kings starters are highly susceptible to extended offensive droughts. Temple is not a scorer. Fox is finding his way. Randolph is playing well against centers but that well is going to run dry fast. Skal is hardly reliable. It should hardly be a shocker when this unit cannot score collectively. Until Fox and Skal become the players we think they can be, this unit is more inclined to score under 20 points than over 30 for a given quarter against any respectable defense.

In this context the lob pass that the Kings killed the Lakers on was not there. De'Andre Jordan made sure of that. The same passes that Boggy made against two nights ago were broken up. Boggy had 5 TOs and I think at least three were failed lob attempts. Jordan's presence also prevented our PGs from getting into the lane as easily, as Fox and Mason had their combined worst night since Mason was inserted into the rotation. The good news is the Kings are establishing the lob pass as a formidable weapon out of the pick and roll and most nights were are going to get good results of it.

Off the top of my head the teams that will take it away include:
  • Clips (Jordan)
  • Warriors (Draymond)
  • Jazz (Gobert)
  • Heat (Whiteside)
Most nights the lob play will be there with these exceptions. The disruption contributed to 18 turnovers. One of the few things Kings have done well offensively is protect the ball (14 TOs per game). 4 turnovers above the average was the difference in a 2 point game.

The stat I am monitoring for the team as sign of improved competitiveness is getting under 10 point differential per 100 possessions .(currently: -12.1, down from 13.8) in the next 5-10 games. One of the individual stats I am monitoring is Buddy needs to score at least 15 PPG (currently 12.4 PPG) in next 10 games with over 55% TS. How can you be a decent team when your leading scorer is only 13.2 PPG (Z-Bong)??! Joke! When Buddy is closer to 15 PPG and on target for 16-18 PPG for the year and point differential closes under 10 PPG the wins will start to take care of themselves. When your talent is unproven and inexperienced all you can do is put yourself in a position to win. Slowly we are headed in this direction.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the Kings need to stick with Buddy. Let him shoot the ball as many times as he want. To me, he seems like the only guy who isn't afraid to take shots on this team. He's the only guy who I've seen step up when the Kings need a scoring leader. I'm all for for Buddy now.
Will you still be with him when he goes 2 for 14 some night? Hopefully that won't happen, and I agree with you that Buddy can be a prolific scorer, and as a result, he should get his shots.. It's just that people on this forum are very fickle. There's a lot of traffic on and off the bandwagon.

I thought overall, Willie had a very good defensive game, and that includes that last shot by Blake. Only so much you can do, and the last thing Willie wanted to do was put Griffin at the line. So you contest the shot the best you can without fouling and hope he misses. However, in the late 3rd and early 4th quarter, which I went back and watched again, there were some serious mistakes on switching, which led to some easy or at minimum, open shots for the Clips. On four different occasions, Willie switched to stop the ball, and when he went to rotate back, Randolph had rotated to Willie's man, which left Willie guarding no one, and to be honest, he looked confused as to where to go. The result was that you had someone wide open on the Clips.

Finally after a timeout, it got corrected, but the damage had been done by that time. To be fair, those weren't the only mistakes. Fox found out how a good shooter can kill you when you go under a pick. He's also finding out how hard it is to get into the lane when he can't make his defender pay for going under the pick. It's a double edged sword. I suspect he'll spend the entire off season working on his outside shot. He also needs to take the pull up mid-range more often. He has to find a way to keep his defender on his heels.

That said, I enjoyed watching the game. They didn't quit and almost pulled it out at the end.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the Kings need to stick with Buddy. Let him shoot the ball as many times as he want. To me, he seems like the only guy who isn't afraid to take shots on this team. He's the only guy who I've seen step up when the Kings need a scoring leader. I'm all for for Buddy now.
Will you still be with him when he goes 2 for 14 some night? Hopefully that won't happen, and I agree with you that Buddy can be a prolific scorer, and as a result, he should get his shots.. It's just that people on this forum are very fickle. There's a lot of traffic on and off the bandwagon.

I thought overall, Willie had a very good defensive game, and that includes that last shot by Blake. Only so much you can do, and the last thing Willie wanted to do was put Griffin at the line. So you contest the shot the best you can without fouling and hope he misses. However, in the late 3rd quarter, which I went back and watched again, there were some serious mistakes on switching, which led to some easy or at minimum, open shots for the Clips. On four different occasions, Willie switched to stop the ball, and when he went to rotate back, Randolph had rotated to Willie's man, which left Willie guarding no one, and to be honest, he looked confused as to where to go. The result was that you had someone wide open on the Clips.

Finally after a timeout, it got corrected, but the damage had been done by that
It'll all be worth it when our (Ayton/Bagley)/Giles/Willie frontcourt is running roughshod over the opposition next season.
Dream a little dream for me! :rolleyes:

We cannot, absolutely cannot, have Zbo on the floor against Griffin and DeAndre. Even if he's scoring, that is the easiest mismatch to exploit possible.

The fact we can't bring him off the bench just one game is infuriating.

I thought overall, Willie had a very good defensive game, and that includes that last shot by Blake. Only so much you can do, and the last thing Willie wanted to do was put Griffin at the line. So you contest the shot the best you can without fouling and hope he misses. However, in the late 3rd and early 4th quarter, which I went back and watched again, there were some serious mistakes on switching, which led to some easy or at minimum, open shots for the Clips. On four different occasions, Willie switched to stop the ball, and when he went to rotate back, Randolph had rotated to Willie's man, which left Willie guarding no one, and to be honest, he looked confused as to where to go. The result was that you had someone wide open on the Clips.

Finally after a timeout, it got corrected, but the damage had been done by that time. To be fair, those weren't the only mistakes. Fox found out how a good shooter can kill you when you go under a pick. He's also finding out how hard it is to get into the lane when he can't make his defender pay for going under the pick. It's a double edged sword. I suspect he'll spend the entire off season working on his outside shot. He also needs to take the pull up mid-range more often. He has to find a way to keep his defender on his heels.

That said, I enjoyed watching the game. They didn't quit and almost pulled it out at the end.
In general, I think fans expected too much from our young players(I know I did), so they end up being disappointed. Buddy came in last year and immediately put up 15ppg. He was being advertised as a promising rookie SG who was the centerpiece of the Cousins trade. From those preconceptions, people expected Buddy to keep up that performance and improve some. He started the year off horrible. What made things worse for Buddy was that George Hill also started off the year terrible. 2 terrible players in the backcourt is easy to pick apart. On top of this, none of the young guys have made major impacts, which made it even easier to pile on top of Buddy. Fans here were really realistic when it came to evaluating Buddy, but I think the bandwagon comes out of frustration from the other young guys disappointing.

I compare Buddy to Devin Booker a lot. I don't know if you have an opinion on him, but I feel like if Booker is a 20ppg scorer, Buddy can be an 18ppg scorer. Like Buddy, Booker doesn't have a quick 1st step. He falls back on his jumpshot a lot, especially in the mid-range when he can't get to the rim. Buddy is a better shooter than Booker too, but Booker has the quicker release. Booker is a much better ball handler, but it's because he has much better ball control.

Highlights from his 36pts vs. the Lakers

He plays a lot like Buddy. He scores in similar fashions. Is it purely because Booker gets a green light? Like Buddy, Booker also has hot and cold streaks. They're players who won't consistently make their shots throughout the game, but have sparks here and there.

What is he saying?
Comparing Hield to Booker? Not so sure. Hield doesn't have the handles, BBIQ, and he happens to be 2 years older than Booker.
Booker still has room to elevate his game. Hield can be a 16-18 ppg guy. A decent to good starting 2 at some point. But, i don't think he's in the class of Booker.
Booker is headed to multiple All Star games.

Booker is already averaging 22 pts a game.
Booker has scored over 30 7 times and over 20 6 times this season.
Buddy has 2 games with 20 or more pts.

Per 36, players are similar. Hield can certainly improve his game. But, I think that's where the conversation ends.
When I saw Booker go off for 70. Sorry, that's rare talent. I don't ever see Hield having that type of performance.
Hield has failed when he was put in a starting role. Here or in New Orleans. So I don't know about your green light theory.
Hield has started for the Kings in the past and he was a bust in New Orleans as a starter.

Players with killer instinct show up.

Comparing Hield to Booker? Not so sure. Hield doesn't have the handles, BBIQ, and he happens to be 2 years older than Booker.
Booker still has room to elevate his game. Hield can be a 16-18 ppg guy. A decent to good starting 2 at some point. But, i don't think he's in the class of Booker.
Booker is headed to multiple All Star games.

Booker is already averaging 22 pts a game.
Booker has scored over 30 7 times and over 20 6 times this season.
Buddy has 2 games with 20 or more pts.

Per 36, players are similar. Hield can certainly improve his game. But, I think that's where the conversation ends.
When I saw Booker go off for 70. Sorry, that's rare talent. I don't ever see Hield having that type of performance.
Hield has failed when he was put in a starting role. Here or in New Orleans. So I don't know about your green light theory.
Hield has started for the Kings in the past and he was a bust in New Orleans as a starter.

Players with killer instinct show up.
I don't think Hield is on Booker's level either but you can't lesson Hield's talent by saying he wont ever go off for 70 points. By that logic, you could pretty much say Booker is the best player in the NBA since no one else currently playing has scored 70.

Hield was a good starter for us last year and failed in less than 10 starts this year so I think it's premature to say that he's failed when put into a starting role. He plays better when he's next to a PG that can disrupt the defense and help guys get open shots. Mason has done a good job of that next to Buddy. Hield was just in a shooting slump to begin the year. I don't think starting had anything to do with it other than just the timing of everything and maybe him pressing too hard because he thought he needed to be "the guy".