[Game] Kings v. Bulls - 2/6/17 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um...Barnes got scored on two games in a row with the game winning shot. That's a rare feat. You are defending that? He should have forced Booker to go left away from his strong hand to the baseline. And that baseline shot by Wade was easy pickings. Barnes is too stiff and slow to react to a guy about the same age. Barnes probably played his best game of the season tonight but it included a careless inbound pass (even though Wade fouled, the pass was too casual! Seen it been there done that! That laissez faire approach gets you in trouble!) and getting torched by Wade for 31 on 12-18 FGs. This not hating just laying out the facts.
He did make mistakes but have to give Barnes credit. He has been playing well if you look at the overall picture and not individual plays.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Umm ur very wrong... exhibit (most recent) selecting Barnes as the inbounder... seriously everyone on this board would tell u that was garbage coaching.

All I can say is Joerger is still a mess... but he's improving about the same as the team is improving.
Nope. Wrong. If Cousins wasn't held by Wade, he would have been in position to get that pass. Everyone on the board? Don't make me start a poll.

I have no problem with his defense on either of those two game winning shots. There's no defense for a good fadeaway shot. It's why Jordan and Kobe are about the best ever.

You saw what happened when guys got up on Wade. He drew the foul every time.
It qualifies as average. Good offense will beat average defense every time. But doesn't change the fact Barnes should have took away Booker's right hand by angling him to the baseline. Poor defensive strategy and recognition of time and situation. On the game winner by Wade tonight, it is basically like shooting over a mannequin. Token resistance at best. A 36 year old player has slow reaction time and creaky joints. It is like shooting warm-ups for Wade to rise and swish.

Nah! Let Cuz take the day off. All these down the wire games are damn hard on the man, especially these Chicago games.
Let Papa and Willie roll-in.

But for dang! I hope the NBA start giving fines to officiating as well.
He's 26 years old and it's only the half way mark of the season, he doesn't need a break. I want to see the Cousins led Kings beat IT's Celtics.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Um...Barnes got scored on two games in a row with the game winning shot. That's a rare feat. You are defending that? He should have forced Booker to go left away from his strong hand to the baseline. And that baseline shot by Wade was easy pickings. Barnes is too stiff and slow to react to a guy about the same age. Barnes probably played his best game of the season tonight but it included a careless inbound pass (even though Wade fouled, the pass was too casual! Seen it been there done that! That laissez faire approach gets you in trouble!) and getting torched by Wade for 31 on 12-18 FGs. This not hating just laying out the facts.
You bias against Barnes is ridiculous. he did all you could ask on those shots. Defended tightly, challenged up top, did not foul, did not let them get closer than 20 feet. If you aren't going to double, that's all anyone without an agenda can ask for defensively at the end of the game.

I need to see that last inbounds however to see if it would have been a turnover anyway without Wade holding.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...A 36 year old player has slow reaction time and creaky joints.
Add to that the number of injuries Barnes has been playing with and the huge amount of minutes and I'm amazed he doesn't just crumple in a heap at the end of the game.

Barnes isn't perfect but he's giving everything he can out there. I can't fault him for that.

You bias against Barnes is ridiculous. he did all you could ask on those shots. Defended tightly, challenged up top, did not foul, did not let them get closer than 20 feet. If you aren't going to double, that's all anyone without an agenda can ask for defensively at the end of the game.

I need to see that last inbounds however to see if it would have been a turnover anyway without Wade holding.
He lofted it up there before Boogie had sort of pinned Wade. It was risky and stupid pass. You can't hope the ref will bail you out. Actually that's a smart veteran trick by Wade to give a little tug on the jersey and hope the ref doesn't see it. If you are not 100% certain of your inbound pass there, you call a timeout. Barnes has a history all season of making high risk passes. It is only a matter of time before excess risk backfires.

G

glassman

Nope. Wrong. If Cousins wasn't held by Wade, he would have been in position to get that pass. Everyone on the board? Don't make me start a poll.
Seriously start a poll!!! Let's vote

(was the pass good or was it a signature too close /risky Matt Barnes pass, or was it just the foul?)

Seriously we all saw the foul... no question... but ur telling me Barnes couldn't throw the ball high enough and far enough so only a king /cousins could get it... other teams don't have this problem like he does.

Matt has 2 weakness.
1) His temper-bad fouls and techs. One of his techs just single handy cost us a game not long ago.

And 2) his risky passing

don't even pretend u didn't think to ur self " Matt is going to inbound? Awesome I love this call!!! No one better to pass this ball!" I know just like almost everyone else we all immediately thought " oh no"

Then exactly what I feared would happen with Matt happened... I'm sure most people felt like he was gonna try to sneek it in too close and turn it over.

Matt had a pretty great game... but again he/we make 1 or 2 bad mistakes and that's all she wrote

Add to that the number of injuries Barnes has been playing with and the huge amount of minutes and I'm amazed he doesn't just crumple in a heap at the end of the game.

Barnes isn't perfect but he's giving everything he can out there. I can't fault him for that.
Its not a matter of effort. It is a matter of skill. Barnes has a 48% TS and team worst -14 net rating with him on the floor. Tonight was his best game of the season and yet he was instrumental in helping us to lose it. That says a lot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

(was the pass good or was it a signature too close /risky Matt Barnes pass, or was it just the foul?)

Seriously we all saw the foul... no question... but ur telling me Barnes couldn't throw the ball high enough and far enough so only a king /cousins could get it... other teams don't have this problem like he does.

Matt has 2 weakness.
1) His temper-bad fouls and techs. One of his techs just single handy cost us a game not long ago.

And 2) his risky passing

don't even pretend u didn't think to ur self " Matt is going to inbound? Awesome I love this call!!! No one better to pass this ball!" I know just like almost everyone else we all immediately thought " oh no"

Then exactly what I feared would happen with Matt happened... I'm sure most people felt like he was gonna try to sneek it in too close and turn it over.
I started a poll...about Joerger. I'm getting lost. Are you bashing Joerger or Matt Barnes?

No, never mind. I should just be happy you're not using all caps. It's all good. We're just part of the dysfunctional Kings fan family Dave talks about.

Matt has 2 weakness.

And 2) his risky passing

Matt had a pretty great game... but again he/we make 1 or 2 bad mistakes and that's all she wrote
He's a 48% TS and yet jacks 4 three per game. Even without looking it up, I will guarantee you there is NO player in the NBA that shoots more 3s per game with a lower true shooting percentage. You can't win with guys like this playing prominent role. Not when they can't defend either! I take back guarantee since it is getting late and brain fog is rolling in. Lets say I am 95% sure ;)

EDIT: Barnes ranks 308 out 339 in TS% (BOTTOM 90%) and yet ranks second on the team in three point attempts. I don't know how you can defend this guy.

Last edited:
It qualifies as average. Good offense will beat average defense every time. But doesn't change the fact Barnes should have took away Booker's right hand by angling him to the baseline. Poor defensive strategy and recognition of time and situation. On the game winner by Wade tonight, it is basically like shooting over a mannequin. Token resistance at best. A 36 year old player has slow reaction time and creaky joints. It is like shooting warm-ups for Wade to rise and swish.
Booker hit a lucky bank shot that was a couple feet off his target and still went in. Wade hit an undefendable shot. There's nothing anyone on the team could have done better in that situation. Temple would have just gotten backed down and shot over closer to the paint. I'd like to have a better defender on him as well but you can't ask for anything more than what Barnes did from the roster that we have.

G

glassman

I started a poll...about Joerger. I'm getting lost. Are you bashing Joerger or Matt Barnes?

No, never mind. I should just be happy you're not using all caps. It's all good. We're just part of the dysfunctional Kings fan family Dave talks about.
Haha

i dislike Joerger playing Ben over.... anyone.... I dislike his kk and cousins together. I dislike his lack of control over and love affair with Barnes (who's been semi good) and his using Barnes at the end to inbounds.

I liked Joergers play calls at the end especially the sub for WCS on the jump ball. That was great!

Barnes I kinda like...He just doesn't value or protect the ball enough and also hurts us with his mental lapses.

That's where I stand on the issues haha

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Haha

i dislike Joerger playing Ben over.... anyone.... I dislike his kk and cousins together. I dislike his lack of control over and love affair with Barnes (who's been semi good) and his using Barnes at the end to inbounds.

I liked Joergers play calls at the end especially the sub for WCS on the jump ball. That was great!

Barnes I kinda like...He just doesn't value or protect the ball enough and also hurts us with his mental lapses.

That's where I stand on the issues haha
Look in the grade thread. Brick has a very rational explanation for why Joerger uses Barnes. It makes sense.

He's a 48% TS and yet jacks 4 three per game. Even without looking it up, I will guarantee you there is NO player in the NBA that shoots more 3s per game with a lower true shooting percentage. You can't win with guys like this playing prominent role. Not when they can't defend either! I take back guarantee since it is getting late and brain fog is rolling in. Lets say I am 95% sure ;)

EDIT: Barnes ranks 308 out 339 in TS% (BOTTOM 90%) and yet ranks second on the team in three point attempts. I don't know how you can defend this guy.
I will hate on Barnes as much as the next guy, but pointing to his ts% to criticize his 3 point shooting makes no sense.

His borderline bad to below avg 3 point shooting is helping his ts%.
His inability to finish is what kills his ts%.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I will hate on Barnes as much as the next guy, but pointing to his ts% to criticize his 3 point shooting makes no sense.

His borderline bad to below avg 3 point shooting is helping his ts%.
His inability to finish is what kills his ts%.
Three point shooting is a component of TS%. In his case over half his FGs are 3s (3.8 to 3.2) and he rarely get to the line: 1.1 FTs per game. A substantial chunk of his crappy TS% corresponds to bricks he launches from behind the line relative to 2s and free throws. And if you are borderline bad to below average three point shooter it doesn't help your TS% in any situation for any player.

Booker hit a lucky bank shot that was a couple feet off his target and still went in. Wade hit an undefendable shot. There's nothing anyone on the team could have done better in that situation. Temple would have just gotten backed down and shot over closer to the paint. I'd like to have a better defender on him as well but you can't ask for anything more than what Barnes did from the roster that we have.
Temple is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Barnes is one of the worst. That's just a fact accept it or reject no big whoop.

He's 26 years old and it's only the half way mark of the season, he doesn't need a break. I want to see the Cousins led Kings beat IT's Celtics.
they rescind the tech, you get to see him play the celts, he gets a tech in that game but they still win, he's suspended atl game, then i get to see him play vs pelicans. sound good?

edit. i guess the better plan is to just have him not get anymore techs after one of these techs are rescinded.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Its not a matter of effort. It is a matter of skill. Barnes has a 48% TS and team worst -14 net rating with him on the floor. Tonight was his best game of the season and yet he was instrumental in helping us to lose it. That says a lot.
Who the **** else are we supposed to play at this point? The entire wingman rotation has been decimated to the point that your only other options are playing a burnt out Arron Afflalo, Ben McLemore, or a rookie.

Uh. Cuz was walking back to the bench. It was the bulls players arguing at center court. The play was on the bulls basket. No reason for bulls players to walk to center court.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Sean Cunningham tweeted last night: Kings locker room practically a ghost town after loss to Chicago. Frustrations boiling over a bit.

But can they do anything about it? Where do you point the finger? Cousins? A bit. But since there is no alternate leader on the team one voice may over ride a lot. I point the finger at the front office.

Who the **** else are we supposed to play at this point? The entire wingman rotation has been decimated to the point that your only other options are playing a burnt out Arron Afflalo, Ben McLemore, or a rookie.
I realize Temple is injured. I was responding to the suggestion Temple would not have provided more resistance than Barnes on the referenced play.

Status
Not open for further replies.