[Game] Kings v. Blazers 11/08/13 Game Thread

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
KingsFans.com Gameday 2013-2014 Edition
Game 5
Sacramento Kings v. Portland Trailblazers

By Stephen Tetsu, Kingsfans.com Resident Yeti

Ugh. Losses. I hate losses. If there’s one thing years of on-and-off sports writing has taught me, it’s that writing about a loss is about a bazillion times harder than writing about a win. In that same vein, writing about an ugly loss is near intolerable.

One thing that does help me in this certain situation is that the loss against Atlanta was suspiciously similar to the loss against the Warriors, give or take an extra few points in the fourth quarter. After a fast start, the Kings offense tailed off fast right around the point where Patrick Patterson found a way to do even less on defense. While we received slightly better production from our starting wings, they also gave up more baskets to the other team than an Amish family at a moving sale.

Falling into a deep hole to begin the second half, Coach Malone turned to his second team squad to turn the tides, a strategy that managed to catapult the team back into striking distance. Led by another explosive outing by Isaiah Thomas, the Kings at least gave me an excuse to keep the game on the TV.

I will say that you guys (meaning those of you actively posting on Kingsfans.com or other Kings-related sites or calling into Sports 1140) should probably take a chill pill. I know overreacting to each and every game or action on the court is a hallmark of sports fandom in general but I’m starting to get concerned that a couple of you guys are gonna suffer a fatal infarction the next time someone doesn’t agree with your post. It’s okay guys. If the struggles of a basketball team are causing you to get red-faced and blustery, I’d hate to see you when real life rears its ugly head.

Things will be alright, whether this year in the next. Given enough time, our shoddy team construction will be resolved and things will be better. Until then. why not relax and simply enjoy the fact that NBA basketball is staying right where it belongs in Sacramento?

Stat Watch 2013
Nothing too interesting/not depressing.

Observations
  • After two sell-out games to start the season, Sleep Train Arena was depressingly empty for our matchup against the Hawks. That said, the crowd was still larger than the majority of audiences for Atlanta’s home games, where Groupon offers of playoff games still struggle to produce lively crowds.

• Jimmer Watch, Game 5: Seeing absolutely no action during the game, it’s probably safe to say that Jimmer went straight home without taking a shower tonight.

• Copy and pasted from the last four games and, most likely for the foreseeable future: Patrick Patterson must really not want to start because he has done just about as much as the starting power forward of the team as I have, which is to say, nothing.

• Cuz had his second off game in a row and was visibly frustrated for much of the second half. As this has been covered in Brick’s grade thread, I don’t really feel the need to go much more in-depth on the topic here. I’ll just say that, in addition to other factors, Al Horford played one heck of a game.

• Our guards cannot guard anyone. Ironic.
The View From the Other Side: Schroeder’s Nut Shot Edition.

As seen on Peach Tree Hoops
  • “We're the Hawks. And the Kings minority owner is on TNT every Thursday night. So this will not be overlooked. Any time the league gets a chance to punish us, they’ll do it.”
  • “I dont think Dennis planned in his head to grab Cousins like that..I think his hand may have gotten caught up in there getting thru the pick and his reflex caused him to grab whatever was there and twisted it…I will never know how that feels but from the look on Cousins face, IT WAS QUITE PAINFUL”
  • “When the NBA reacts to this, Dennis will find himself balls deep in trouble. Sorry, had to.”
  • “Wow. This is nuts.”

Other Coverage

Random Distraction
No special feature today thanks to my suddenly busy schedule. I’ll try to make up for it down the line. In the meantime…

They just don’t do jumping jacks like they did when I was a kid

Awards Time

Tony Delk Memorial Award: Paul Millsap

Simply faster and more involved than his counterpart on the Kings, the former Jazz stretch forward played like a young Elton Brand, contributing 25 points, 11 boards, 4 assists, and 4 steals to his team’s cause. While he’s a solid NBA player, against us, he looked like an all-star.

Spencer Hawes “Big” Man of the Game: Pero Antic

As he is the Hawks’ tallest player, one would expect the Macedonian rookie to spend most of his time working inside and policing the paint. This being the Spencer Hawes award, that certainly wasn’t the case as Antic instead decided to prove that he deserved to finally play small forward like he always wanted and parked himself out at the three-point line for much of his time on the court despite the fact Patrick Patterson, who was covering him for much of the stretch, seemed to have as much interest in playing defense as I have in waking up early to jog, that is to say, none.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim Award: Elton Brand

Once among the most dynamic power forwards in the game, Brand has now largely been reduced to the roll of tall Chuck Hayes and pretty much produced like it. His knees so worn down that they make C-Webb’s look like a high schoolers, this is probably the last we’ve seen of Brand in an NBA uniform.

Matt Barnes Classy Player of the Game: Dennis Schroeder

As anyone who tangentially follows the Kings knows, Schroeder had the highlight/lowlight of his career on a particularly physical sequence in the second half, during which he copped a feel of Big Cuz’s Little Cuz without eliciting a foul. The NBA would later suspend the rookie for one game without pay for the maneuver, matching the punishment Demarcus received for a similar maneuver against OJ Mayo last year. While I appreciate it when guards fight through screens, I do not appreciate it as a man when guards attempt to shatter someone’s family jewels.

WTF Moment of the Game: Making a play to get back in the game, Coach Malone decides to bench his two best big men and instead goes with P-Pat and the Chuckwagon down the stretch, instantly conjuring up the ghost of Kenny Natt.

Tonight’s Game

Tonight we face off against another “rebuilding team” in the Portland Trailblazers, featuring reigning Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard.and the sole survivor of the Roy/Oden/Aldridge trifecta, Lamarcus Aldridge.

If you want to talk rebuild efforts gone wrong, you quite simply must start with the post-Jailblazer regime instigated by Kevin Pritchard and backed by an ownership group that didn’t mind buying a draft pick or ten. Struggling for years to emerge from the shadows of the bonehead trio of Sheed, Bonzi, and a young Z-Bo, the Blazers practically lucked their way into what many pundits assumed would be the next great dynasty of the NBA, anchored by a core featuring a once-in-a-generational big man aided by one of the league’s most dynamic two-guards and one of the NBA’s best scoring big men.

Then it all came down in the blink of an eye. Oden practically was injured from the second he crossed the stage during the draft, his faulty knees no match for the NBA or even rehab. Without the crown jewel, the other two cogs were forced to pick up the slack, a move which ultimately resulted in Brandon Roy’s knees meeting the same fate as Greg’s and essentially ended Portland’s bid for renewed relevancy.

And so Portland was forced to start all over again.

(Part two/actual breakdown of the team will come tomorrow.)

Matchups
Demarcus versus Lamarcus: How many times will the announcers get their names mixed up?
Our starters not named Demarcus versus not sucking: My money’s on sucking..
Malone versus a nervous breakdown: If our effort is lackluster once again, things could get even uglier.
Empty seats versus Kings fans: Will Kings fans be able fill them in respectable numbers?

Predictions and Closure
After the last two games, it's become hard to actually pick the Kings to win a basketball game but I, nevertheless, picked them to win yet again, 96-92.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Nice writeup as usual. With all the talk of Jimmer on the forum and on 1140, I'm putting in the call for a Ray McCallum sighting. Malone made a reference to him in the Vazquez article in the Bee saying that if GV, who is still struggling with his injury recovery and admittedly not playing to what we need, we may need to get Ray in there a little as well. I don't know if its tonight but at some point, he'll get some run since he's maybe our only PG that might be able to play some acceptable defense. I'd like to see him get an opportunity at some point, and he will if the current group continues to struggle defensively, which they will. I just want to see some defense from that position for a change.

A win would be really, really nice right now. Lets get it done Kings.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
You forgot one more difficult task as a writer. Getting energy to write something interesting when the team loses and loses and loses. There is nothing more energy killing than trying to be interesting or educational when the team is losing. The team is not without interest at this early stage of the season but if we head out on an extended road trip after a bad home stay or two, this could get very ugly and disheartening as a writer. You may need help unless you are a far better man than I am at this kind of thing. I tried to do what you are doing a couple decades ago.

Vasquez simply has to be better than he is showing. He has a great floater and although you can't shoot that 100% of the time, a 6'6" PG can shoot it an awful lot more than a standard sized PG. Perhaps he is slowed down more than we are acknowledging. I sure hope so. The clue is that he seems to be a slow healer and also any disruption of the ankle whether by injury or surgery has to slow down any player. Remember Tyreke.

This team is still in the getting to know you stage as is the coach. Patience, folks. It may take this entire year to help the powers that be to determine a clear cut path to the promised land. Our FO is made up of some very talented people. At the head is a remarkable owner and in most organizations, the guy at the top sets the tone for the entire organization. We have the best FO the Kings have ever had.

We have several players under performing and I am willing to cut them some slack for awhile and that includes MT. Let's let this concoction simmer for a double handful of games and see if the team seems to function better. I can think of a few things I'd like to see happen but realize that now that the season has started, practice time is limited and perhaps the only goal should be for the guys, including Malone, all get to know each others games before we go into full suicidal mode.

I admit to being very impatient because I hate losing and I hate watching the Kings lose. A good try is simply not adequate to make me happy. I have to keep reminding myself that this team is going through an incredible change and it will take quite awhile for the smoke to settle.

If the starting lineup stays the same, this game has all of the earmarks of being a defensive nightmare.

We have Vasquez covering the speedy Lillard.

We have nobody to hide Thornton on since both Matthews and Batum move well without the ball.

Either we cover Aldridge with Patterson or we risk foul trouble for our best player.

Its going to be a long night.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
"Cuz had his second off game in a row and was visibly frustrated for much of the second half."

In reality, Cousins first showed frustration and stopped playing with 7:25 left in the first quarter. (See my post in Kings vs Hawks grades).

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Important game for us. Not necessarily to get a win, but to get back to hustle/energy we displayed, especially on the defensive end in the first two games. Clippers pretty much had their way with us, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

Important game for us. Not necessarily to get a win, but to get back to hustle/energy we displayed, especially on the defensive end in the first two games. Clippers pretty much had their way with us, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.
Important game for us. We need to play well, with effort and efficiency. Few words, lots of results.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Important game for us. We need to play well, with effort and efficiency. Few words, lots of results.
I am sure we will all be watching Cuz and rightfully so. I hope GV moves better. Then of course I will be watching MLM as he is very exciting and if he becomes close to what people are expecting, eventually he will be a big part of the future. I will continue to push the idea that Ben needs to be the safety valve for Cuz but that means convincing Cuz he doesn't have to do it all on his own. Cuz also needs to understand that the failures of this team are not all his fault. Fortunately, Shaq eventually became a decent passer and hopefully is a great mentor.

'Ok fellas, let's go give it 110 % and give the fans what they came to see'...well, even if they give us 85% effort, it will still be WAY more enjoyable than the sitting through a Maloofian tanking-to-move-to-ANYWHERE season. I think we need to keep someone big on Lillard on the offensive end at all times(PAGING EL GENERAL!!??) and our waterbug IT on him on defense to at least try to keep up with him, because their offense runs through Lillard. I think DeMarcus can at least keep LaMarcus honest, everyone else...just collapse on the perimeter as to not allow any wide open 3's, and PLEASE close off the paint. Might be a group effort with the latter...JT, Hayes, Cuz...and yes, maybe even Outlaw. We cannot...let me repeat, CANNOT win with Salmons as our starting 3...we need the Prince to finally get in there.

Still a bit early to trust +/-, but found these incredibly interesting to some of our issues. These are on a Per game basis thus far. Really looking forward to adjusted +/- numbers being available, but these will work for now.

Vasquez: -8
Thornton: -12.5
Salmons: -8.3
Patterson: -9
Cousins: -5.3

Bench

Isaiah: -0.3
Ben: +7.5
Outlaw: +2
Thompson: -1.8
Hayes: +1

There's a serious problem when our starting unit puts us in an 8-9 point hole every game. If the can get their act together, the bench has been doing playing great basketball and helping the team in a positive way

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Is there an article somewhere that explains what is wrong with Mbah A Moute? It seems like we signed a defensive stopper and that's the last we saw of him. I am questioning whether this is a real injury.

K

KingMilz

All I ask for is good shot selection and effort on defence if they can't give that for a 3rd game in a row I just won't know what to say. Just play basketball the right way basically.

I feel bad for coach Malone and the new ownership as this could be another long season, possibly equally as long as we are used to (which again isn't a bad thing for rebuilding). I we'll hang in there tonight to the 9th or 10th minute of the 4th

There is one point that has not been mention today. everyone says that GV has to play better, and no one can deny that, but with a PG like him, it is VITAL that the other 4 guys make open shots. I am not saying that Paterson, Solomon and DMC have to make every shot, but if they keep missing that much , that gets into GV (or any pass first PG). I am not trying to get excuses for Vasquez, he has not played well, but his improvement goes hand to hand with the shooting of the unit around him. Additionally, Malone mentioned that he thinks Vasquez has the potential to do the job and that, at least in theory, it is a matter of time and chemistry. Well if that is the case, having Vasquez playing only 20 mpg, will not speed up that process. I am not saying that IT is not playing well his minutes, but we are still not wining the games, so if the front office really thinks Vasquez has it on him, then they have to give him minutes, so we can now sooner rather than later if they are right.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Jason Jones actually had an informative tweet. Said that after 4 games, starting PGs are averaging 21.5 pts and 10 assists per game. What might Lillard do? I'd like to see Ray given a shot if we are struggling to stop penetration.