Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

i mean, Tyrese even says in the article that there was more said but he didn’t say what they were. I’d also prefer that my GM not be sentimental and too attached to the players. That’s what leads to Daryll Morey selling the farm to bring in James Harden despite the questionable fit.

the best director I ever had on a project was a hard nosed guy who never got too close to the project to make the hard choices. The worst director I ever had treated every single cast member and staff member like his best friend. There‘s probably a happy medium there but in my mind, the owner and the coach are the players’ “friends” while the GM always has to be the bad cop.

it would also be dumb for Monte to be thinking of how things could look in sec en years when Tyrese is eligible for UFA when Monte’s only on contract for another two right now.
And like the dude was pretty busy at the time, lol.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's just McNair betting on himself that he can build this up enough in the next 2 years to extend Sabonis. If we get the Sabonis extension, the Kings will have won this trade. Straight up. If Sabonis walks, or we have to trade, him, losing Hali will a clear #2 only to passing on Luka in terms of long-term damage to the franchise.

We'll see. The early returns could not be any better in terms of reinvigorating the team and fanbase, despite losing one of the most beloved Kings we've had since the glory years.
Yes but...
What we'll never know (just like would Luka be happy in Sac and/or require a Fox trade) is if we could have built a winner in 2 years before Hali comes up on that second contract which right now is absolutely a max extension.

Then suddenly all the ill will Fox has received this season will fall on him.

This is one area Kings fans could do better on. We're still pretty frickin nice.

There's also probably a bit of a race against the clock to notify all the players/et cetera before Woj breaks the news now too.
Agree. And in Monte’s defense - he’s gotta know Ty is going to be broken up about it. You’ve gotta break the bad news, make sure Ty know he’s valued, and get off the phone so Ty can process what happened.

You can always have the longer convo later

We needed a change. We were about to be the new Dame-McCollum backcourt that doesn't get anywhere in the playoffs for years with Fox-Haliburton. I'm happy we were decisive about changing the team, and pulled the trigger getting a player that unlocks more abilities from our true STAR player in Fox, while also being a bonafide Star in his own right. Wish nothing but the best for Hali, but it wasn't going to work here with him and Fox.

I mean, what the **** was he supposed to do? Spend two hours during his busiest time of the year consoling the guy on how he just traded him? What could he possible have said that would have been better in that situation? "Gee, I'm really sorry to do this to ya." "It's not you, it's us." "We just need some time to work on ourselves." "I'm moving to Colorado." "I've been sleeping with your best friend for the last six months."

Nothing Monte could have said then would have made a difference. If anything it would have made things worse. When Petrie made trades, he would make Rick Adelman do the phone calls. Would that be preferable?

As fans who get invested in these guys not just as cogs of a sports team but as icons and broad figures, it might be hard for us to reckon with but for GMs and players, this is a business and the good ones appear to treat it as such.

If being friendly and a good guy were the most important qualities of a GM, Vlade would have already won us a championship.
"Spend two hours consoling him." Yeah, that's what I'm calling for <sarcasm>. And if Tyrese is telling it straight, you also can't imagine even a 2-minute call being handled better on Monte's end.

Cool.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Spend two hours consoling him." Yeah, that's what I'm calling for <sarcasm>. And if Tyrese is telling it straight, you also can't imagine even a 2-minute call being handled better on Monte's end.

Cool.
Kyle Guy was clearly upset about how his Kings tenure ended, so you may be right that Monte needs work on this part of the job, but Tyrese didn't seem particularly upset about the call, just that it was brief. The reality is that McNair was the one that thought trading him for Sabonis would improve the team. So there's only so much he can do to soften the blow.

At least he called him directly to tell him. Given how invested in Sacramento and the Kings Tyrese was, that couldn't have been easy regardless.

Cool.
There’s no right way to do it. I know a dude, who had to layoff half his company in 2008. It nearly broke him. His company survived, but it changed his management style. Less fam orientated, more business. I went on a long run with a different Buddy yesterday (then we got drunk for the SB. Lolzz). He just gave his entire company a raise while having to stomach a $35k loss for the month of January. Likely looking at a year where he’ll barely breakeven. Two yrs in a row now due to Covid. Taking a hit to his bottom line to keep his employees. It’s imperfect and it’s hard. Giving Monte a pass here.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Dunno where people get that Guy was done wrong. His contract expired. His agent should have been communicating with him about the lack of a new contract. Monte deals with agents on contracts not players.
Yeah Guy was a fun prospect but he was only even getting minutes on the big club because we suck so much. That's the life of a 2nd rounder, you're not on guaranteed time and teams trade 2RPs like they are candy so you have to make room for the next batch. If Guy had a long term future with the Kings it was in Stockton and I'm sure that's not what he dreamt of. Players should be more willing to take the overseas money (maybe get residency status and foreign health care/retirement plan while they are at it).

So what I get from this is that Monte doesn't have the best people skills. OK. What I don't get is how anybody could ever watch the guy at a presser and come away thinking, "Wow, that Monte sure has people skills!"
Did somebody watch Monte at a presser and suggest that he had people skills? He's pretty clearly not a natural at it. That's not the *debate* here. The points of contention seem to be, a) could he have done better, and b) does it matter?

A lotta "straw men" being erected on this issue this evening.

Did somebody watch Monte at a presser and suggest that he had people skills? He's pretty clearly not a natural at it. That's not the *debate* here. The points of contention seem to be, a) could he have done better, and b) does it matter?

A lotta "straw men" being erected on this issue this evening.
In an era where people find this crap out on social media and teammates I think Monte did an A+ job, lol.

Kyle Guy was clearly upset about how his Kings tenure ended, so you may be right that Monte needs work on this part of the job, but Tyrese didn't seem particularly upset about the call, just that it was brief. The reality is that McNair was the one that thought trading him for Sabonis would improve the team. So there's only so much he can do to soften the blow.

At least he called him directly to tell him. Given how invested in Sacramento and the Kings Tyrese was, that couldn't have been easy regardless.
Well, that's something we can agree on, funky.

In an era where people find this crap out on social media and teammates I think Monte did an A+ job, lol.
I'm inclined to agree. Vlade Divac stated unequivocally that he was not going to trade DeMarcus Cousins... and then he did... for Buddy Effing Hield. Boogie may have been a controversial figure, but he was also exceedingly loyal to the city of Sacramento and firmly embedded within its community after a seven-year tenure with the team. That was a cold-hearted move.

Tyrese was in the middle of year two with the Kings. Yes, he was very well-liked. Yes, he was quoted as saying that he wanted to be at the center of a basketball revival in Sacramento. But the franchise is in the midst of its 15th straight losing season, was in desperate need of change, and was going nowhere fast in its former configuration.

That said, it's a bit strange to me that Kings fans are this paternalistic over Hali being traded in an appropriately business-like fashion. Unlike Vlade's dealing of Demarcus, Monte made no promises to Tyrese that he was forced to renege. And he made sure to call Tyrese directly to inform him of the trade, rather than Ty finding out from a teammate or via social media. It wasn't flowery, but it was classy, given the low bar set by a lot of GM's around the league.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member