Kings trade and draft rumours

I just listened to Draftexpress podcast and they talked a little bit about Sacramento.

• Kings are trying to dump Artest "like no other" and there are rumours involving Knicks. One rumour is Artest for Jamal Crawford, and the other is for Channing Frye and Malik Rose. Apparently Frye's trade value is at an all time low
  • Apparently "Bibby is leaving". No trades mentioned
  • As far as draft goes, we like Jeff Green and Julian Wright at 10. Also Corey Brewer if he falls, maybe Al Thorton.
On Yi, they have him that low in their mock draft (#10) because they have watched quite a bit of him on tapes and they have some question marks. Good potential down the road. In 2-3 years he could be a really good piece. Questions on mental and physical toughness and age. Apparently also a lot of GMs in the NBA are hoping he is gone before their pick so that they don't have to worry about him. There is a lot of hype about him.

DE also rates Noah as the "safest pick in the lottery" outside the top 2 and Al Thorton as the "riskiest player in the lottery". Zabian Dowdell is the most under-rated/under the radar player who is a PG rather than a SG.

Last edited:
Crawford is an interesting idea, and it's not the first time the Kings have been rumored to be interested in him. I always liked him better at the point guard spot than at the 2, and the Bulls (Hinrich) and Knicks (Marbury) always had him out of position. He's not that young, but if he would just improve his shot selection and focus on being a playmaker he seems like he could be a really solid 6'5" point guard.

Damn DE is a real reliable site. Not sure why we'd trade for Crawford though. Also wonder if that means Bibby is opting out? Glad to know we like J. Wright, he is my favorite player who will probably be available.

Damn DE is a real reliable site. Not sure why we'd trade for Crawford though. Also wonder if that means Bibby is opting out? Glad to know we like J. Wright, he is my favorite player who will probably be available.
Well, Draftexpress also had KG going to the Kings last offseason. He also was very vague about Bibby leaving, he didn't say it as an item just sort of mentioned it as an afterthought and I think it might have been a slip.

IMO on the podcast he was kind of pulling stuff out of thin air. Trade rumors are one thing, but how could he possibly know what the Kings front office is thinking about the draft?

Maybe he knows some of their personnel?:confused: I dunno and I didn't remember he had KG going to us but yeah now I remember that. I guess he just reports what he hears. I dunno lol.

Entity

Hall of Famer
WoW Crawford has a contract like KT only for 1 more year. Rose has 2 years left at over $7 mil each. Frye is around 2 mil 1 more year. nbrans is right Crawford averaged only 1 less assist as the SG than the PG for New York his last season in Chicago he averaged 5 assist. I am thinking as the point he would probably be around 7 or so. Is he quick enough for the Pauls' and Parkers on defense? Can he get to the basket with flashing speed or is he just a shooter. Artest for Frye and Crawford souds good to me.

WoW Crawford has a contract like KT only for 1 more year. Rose has 2 years left at over $7 mil each. Frye is around 2 mil 1 more year. nbrans is right Crawford averaged only 1 less assist as the SG than the PG for New York his last season in Chicago he averaged 5 assist. I am thinking as the point he would probably be around 7 or so. Is he quick enough for the Pauls' and Parkers on defense? Can he get to the basket with flashing speed or is he just a shooter. Artest for Frye and Crawford souds good to me.
If Artest is going to New York, it is a must that Kenny Thomas is added in the deal for Malik Rose to shave a year off that horrible contract.

Gary

All-Star
Only reason i would want Channing Frye is that he plays just as well off the bench as he does starting. There isn't much drop off. So as a bench guy, yah I would take Frye... As for Crawford, nah..

I'd do Artest/Salmons/Thomas for Francis/Frye.

Salmons fits with the guards of NY (Marbury, Crawford, Robinson...), and Thomas can rebound next to Curry. Francis has 2 years left on his contract, and Frye, while soft, is still interesting.

Crawford isn't the solution at all at the PG, he is a pure scorer. I like Crawford, but he is not what we need right now.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I have never really liked Crawford's sloppy game, and a Bibby/Crawford/Martin backcourt combo would be the absolute worst defensive mess in the NBA.

That said, a couple of years back, before Crawford went to NY, there were rumors that Geoff wanted to bring him here, maybe as a Bobby Jacksdon 6th man type (althoguh hard to see that now with the big contract). So you never know. All I will say is that it goes without saying that defensively Artest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crawford. And Jamaal is terrible enough on that end that it would be just about impossible to have a good defenisve team with the backcourt resulting from that trade. Much pretty shooting and scoring though to keep the masses entertained.

I'd do Artest/Salmons/Thomas for Francis/Frye.

Salmons fits with the guards of NY (Marbury, Crawford, Robinson...), and Thomas can rebound next to Curry. Francis has 2 years left on his contract, and Frye, while soft, is still interesting.

Crawford isn't the solution at all at the PG, he is a pure scorer. I like Crawford, but he is not what we need right now.
Francis is pretty much at the end of the road. He is a flare up from ending his career.

Bricklayer

Francis is pretty much at the end of the road. He is a flare up from ending his career.

Well, that's never really the point with a Francis trade -- in fact it might be a GOOD thing if his knee flared up and he retired after you traded for him. Then the insurance picks up the contract.

When a suggestion is made to trade for Francis, its always about securing a huge chunk of caproom in a couple of years, and wiping some bad contracts off the books in the deal.

Bricklayer

Brick I was think Crawford as the point with Bibby gone.
What a terrifying thought. ;)

Unfortunately Crawford's defining trait is that he's a blithering idiot. Has quickness and talent as a scorer, has excellent size if he were a PG, but he's one of those guys who I don't think its a coincidence that his teams are always terrible. Softie 40% shooting out of control non defending ballhog anyone? Anyone?

The only guys I would want from NY Knicks are guys like;

Mardy Collins (Sacramento supposedly almost drafted this guy). He blew up at the end of the season. He is a good rebounder at PG/SG, and passer. He could be a Salmons replacement, and a project at PG..

Channing Frye I would take as well.. I really don't want anyone else from the Knicks. They have a bunch of overpriced underacheivers.

More of similar rumors from Hoopsworld, for whatever they're worth:

Trades Are Coming: There are several trades in the hopper in the NBA, and as usual maybe half will get triggered. The Knicks have been at Boston to trade the #5 pick, Gerald Green and Sebastian Telfair. The Knicks are said to be offering up their pick at #23 and a player, or a couple of players without the pick. The players mentioned were Nate Robinson, who has fallen out of favor with Isiah Thomas, and David Lee who Thomas loves but knows will return a quality piece. The Nuggets have been fielding offers on Marcus Camby. He’s not the first player they would trade, but they know they need pieces and Stan Kroenke is holding firm to the “no tax” stance. If the Nuggets can move Marcus and not bring back as much salary it may open the door to keeping Steve Blake, something the club wants to do, but will not pay Luxury tax to do it. The Blazers have been listening to offers, as well. Most have been from teams eager to nab the top pick, but some have involved Zach Randolph. It is commonly believed the Blazers will deal Zach, and the team Portland would like to make a deal with is Boston. The Celtics hold the #5 pick, something Portland would love to obtain, and they have a few complimentary players that Portland wouldn’t mind cashing Zach in for. The Kings have been looking at deals to move Ron Artest. Ron-Ron wore out his welcome in Sacramento and apparently a couple of coaching candidates expressed concerns over taking the Kings job while Ron was part of it. Look for the Kings to have a fire sale with Ron. Mike Bibby is also not expected in the plans next year; a source close to the situation confesses a bag of t-shirts, ending contracts and a draft pick might be enough to get Bibby.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22193.shtml

Bricklayer

The only guys I would want from NY Knicks are guys like;

Mardy Collins (Sacramento supposedly almost drafted this guy). He blew up at the end of the season. He is a good rebounder at PG/SG, and passer. He could be a Salmons replacement, and a project at PG..

Channing Frye I would take as well.. I really don't want anyone else from the Knicks. They have a bunch of overpriced underacheivers.

You don't want Channing Frye, trust me. Kindergartners beat him up and steal his lunch money...like today. There is a reason he is oh so available and a reason that nobody is biting yet.

Mardy Collins is good as a designated thug though. And I did note his late season explosion. Add him and we could have an entire team (Justin, Cisco, Collins) compoed of guys who we picked up because they played good for two weeks last April. ;) If he worked out, be a major score as a young BIG PG of the future. There would be your "versatility" that Geoff is so worried about.

Obviously everybody likes David Lee, but that's why he's completely unavailable. Balkman was also a saavy pick by Zeke, albeit just as a low level hustler. Think you can make a case for Jared Jeffries as a MLE type vet if you happen to be a team in need of a defensive roleplayer. But that's more appropriate for a playoff type team looking for a boost than a rebuild.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
You don't want Channing Frye, trust me. Kindergartners beat him up and steal his lunch money...like today. There is a reason he is oh so available and a reason that nobody is biting yet.

Mardy Collins is good as a designated thug though. And I did note his late season explosion. Add him and we could have an entire team (Justin, Cisco, Collins) compoed of guys who we picked up because they played good for two weeks last April. ;) If he worked out, be a major score as a young BIG PG of the future. There would be your was also a saavy pick by Zeke, albeit just as a low level hustler. Think you can make a case for Jared Jeffries as a MLE type vet if you happen to be a team in need of a defensive roleplayer. But that's more appropriate for a playoff type team looking for a boost than a rebuild.
"versatility" that Geoff is so worried about.

Obviously everybody likes David Lee, but that's why he's completely unavailable. Balkman

Wow....just wow. Winks and all.

Wright and Walker for Artest?

It could be worth taking on Antoine to get rid of Ron-Ron. And while I heavily doubt the Heat would smile at giving away Wright, they may bite to get a changer, and get rid of Walker's money...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Crawford is VERY athletic. Maybe some nights Kevin guards the point, other nights Crawford guards the point. The could flip a coin. I do like the idea of big athletic backcourt.

Bricklayer

Crawford is VERY athletic. Maybe some nights Kevin guards the point, other nights Crawford guards the point. The could flip a coin. I do like the idea of big athletic backcourt.

All nights NEITHER guards the point.

Nor creates a single shot for anybody else. Or in Crawford's case even gets around to letting anybody else attempt a shot.

I never thought Crawford was that bad of a defender. He's certainly quick enough. And besides, it's not like we'd notice a difference if he was terrible, there's nowhere to go but up from Bibby.

Bricklayer

My thinking is that anyone as athletic as Crawford at least has the potential to be a good defender.
Way too late in the game for that -- unfortunately he would need a brain transplant.. Crawford's not a kid anymore. In fact he's only a year or two younger than Mike. He's not a good defender, never will be. He is what he is. A streaky, dumb, scoring PG or scrawny OG. Terrible shot selection. Somewhat selfish. Little defense. But when he's on a hot streak, can be a terror.

Unfortunately the real terror is that you're lucky if he shoots 40% for you in a season, this despite him being a good shooter and talented offensive player. The issue being that he has never, and apparently will never, meet a shot he will not take. They are all good shots for him. So he just chucks them up. Sometimes he will run back on defense and get into a stance. Sometimes he will not. Anybody gets physical with him he just runs away. Put him at the point and nobody is involved but him. Might be able to manage a positive assist/turnover ratio though. Maybe.

Think the lack of smarts leads to the lack of discipline. He's like Stromile Swift's kid brother.

Last edited:
Last season was probably Mike Bibby's worst as a pro... and he put up similar numbers across the board as Jamaal Crawford. Getting Crawford is like we didn't trade Mike Bibby at all, but instead offered him a multi-year extension.

Miammi Could Seek Artest, Lewis

Miami^*******

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46389/20070606/miami_could_seek_artest_lewis/
Florida Sports Buzz

FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ

Heat might seek Artest, Lewis

By BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

With the Heat intent on improving the roster at point guard, small forward, or both, here's some of the early buzz:
• Several NBA people close to the Heat expect Miami will explore acquiring Sacramento's Ron Artest or impending Seattle free agent Rashard Lewis -- two elite 27-year-old small forwards. But it's highly questionable if the Heat has enough to satisfy the Kings or Sonics.
The Heat has not made a trade offer for Artest, but discussions with the Kings are expected, an official with one of the teams said. Two officials said Pat Riley isn't deterred by Artest's past off-court issues.
The Kings will consider moving Artest but don't feel compelled. An official in contact with Kings management said Sacramento isn't enamored with Miami's available assets, which could require a third team's inclusion. Artest (18.8 points, 6.5 rebounds last season) is due $7.8 million for next season and has an $8.45 million player option for '08-09.
Although the Heat loves Lewis' skills, there's some skepticism internally about whether Miami -- which is above the salary cap -- would have enough to interest Seattle in a sign-and-trade. Numerous teams covet him, including Orlando -- which will have lots of cap space if it doesn't sign Darko Milicic -- Houston and New York. Seattle says it wants to keep Lewis, but the expected drafting of Kevin Durant could change that.
Lewis (22.4 points, 6.6 rebounds in '06-07) could get a six-year deal worth as much as $110 million, meaning a first-year salary in the $15 million range. According to salary-cap rules, the Heat would need to send the Sonics contracts within 25 percent of his first-year salary. The Heat likely would be willing to exceed the tax threshold slightly for an All-Star-caliber player.
Among the Heat's pieces that could be offered in trades: James Posey or Jason Kapono (if either agrees to a sign-and-trade), Antoine Walker (the Heat isn't optimistic about moving his two more guaranteed years, worth $8.5 million and $9.3 million), Udonis Haslem (due $6 million in '07-08), Michael Doleac ($3.1 million), Jason Williams (one year left at $8.9 million), Dorell Wright ($1.7 million) and draft picks.

Bricklayer

You missed part of that article that was also relevant. If I may:

Heat might seek Artest, Lewis

By BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

With the Heat intent on improving the roster at point guard, small forward, or both, here's some of the early buzz:

Several NBA people close to the Heat expect Miami will explore acquiring Sacramento's Ron Artest or impending Seattle free agent Rashard Lewis -- two elite 27-year-old small forwards. But it's highly questionable if the Heat has enough to satisfy the Kings or Sonics.

The Heat has not made a trade offer for Artest, but discussions with the Kings are expected, an official with one of the teams said. Two officials said Pat Riley isn't deterred by Artest's past off-court issues.

The Kings will consider moving Artest but don't feel compelled. An official in contact with Kings management said Sacramento isn't enamored with Miami's available assets, which could require a third team's inclusion. Artest (18.8 points, 6.5 rebounds last season) is due $7.8 million for next season and has an $8.45 million player option for '08-09.

Although the Heat loves Lewis' skills, there's some skepticism internally about whether Miami -- which is above the salary cap -- would have enough to interest Seattle in a sign-and-trade. Numerous teams covet him, including Orlando -- which will have lots of cap space if it doesn't sign Darko Milicic -- Houston and New York. Seattle says it wants to keep Lewis, but the expected drafting of Kevin Durant could change that.

Lewis (22.4 points, 6.6 rebounds in '06-07) could get a six-year deal worth as much as $110 million, meaning a first-year salary in the $15 million range. According to salary-cap rules, the Heat would need to send the Sonics contracts within 25 percent of his first-year salary. The Heat likely would be willing to exceed the tax threshold slightly for an All-Star-caliber player.

Among the Heat's pieces that could be offered in trades: James Posey or Jason Kapono (if either agrees to a sign-and-trade), Antoine Walker (the Heat isn't optimistic about moving his two more guaranteed years, worth $8.5 million and $9.3 million), Udonis Haslem (due $6 million in '07-08), Michael Doleac ($3.1 million), Jason Williams (one year left at $8.9 million), Dorell Wright ($1.7 million) and draft picks.

Posey's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Tuesday the Heat has expressed an interest in re-signing Posey but hasn't made an offer. The Heat's free agent small forward options, beyond Posey and Kapono, include Morris Peterson, Grant Hill, Ruben Patterson, Jalen Rose, Desmond Mason and Matt Barnes. Charlotte's Gerald Wallace will command more than Miami's cap exception (which will top $5 million).

• Whether Williams returns as the uncontested starter remains in serious question. The Heat believes Philadelphia probably won't trade Andre Miller, and Detroit free agent Chauncey Billups is unrealistic from Miami's perspective. The Heat likes Sacramento's Mike Bibby, but his salary ($13.5 million and $14.5 million the next two years) and subpar defense are deterrents. A Sacramento Bee columnist wrote Tuesday that it ''seems a done deal'' that Bibby or Artest will be traded.

Also on Miami's radar: former Heat guard Mike James, who parlayed a terrific season in Toronto into a four-year, $25 million deal last summer with Minnesota, where he disappointed.

The Heat likes Milwaukee free agent Mo Williams, but that would require a sign-and-trade, and the Bucks want to keep him. Second-tier affordable free agent options include Steve Blake, Jason Hart, Jannero Pargo and Chucky Atkins.

Bricklayer

Very interesting article, even the parts non Kings related just to see what they are thinking/looking at. And it is as many have speculated before: either Mike or Ron are fits, and there is interest. Has just been too damn obvious for some time.

Now the part about us not liking their available assets has me scratching my head a little. The article suggests a long list of potential assets, but if we have no interest I can only assume that some of those actually aren't on the table. If JWill (ender), Wright (kid) & the #20 were on the table, it would seem we would at least have an interest, even if we wanted to bring in a third team. But maybe Miami is not willing to do that until they have a replacement PG on the roster. So maybe they are trying to force Walker off in the deal. They list Haslem as being available, but he's really not very good if you remove him from the superstar coccoon, and at the same time its hard to see Miami giving him up given the lack of options. I also assume we would have no interest in a signed and traded Posey.

So if it was Walker that was the holdup...sheesh. Even getting a third team involved will be tough. Who would take on that contract off of that year? MAYBE New Jersey? For Jarron Collins? Just figuring they get somethng for a nobody? Or Houston? But I think the idea that Rick would like such a numbnut has always been vastly overrated. Maybe NY -- didn't Zeke have a hankering for Twoine once? Twoine, and throw in another of our contracts (Bard perhaps) and all of a sudden you could get that Francis contract + a kid + their #23 maybe?

From a selfish Kings standpoint I would rather see the Heat go for Artest than Bibby. Because that would keep hope alive that Bibby could be the key to turning to Boston for Ratliff and the #5, or Atlanta for that #3 or whatnot.

Anyway, the games appear to be afoot. And in the wonders of the internet age, this stuff really doesn't come out of left field the way it once did. We have access to all the financials, the rosters, rumor sites, messageboards, fellow posters. We've been talking about these as possibilities for months.

Last edited:
Very interesting article, even the parts non Kings related just to see what they are thinking/looking at. And it is as many have speculated before: either Mike or Ron are fits, and there is interest. Has just been too damn obvious for some time.

Now the part about us not liking their available assets has me scratching my head a little. The article suggests a long list of potential assets, but if we have no interest I can only assume that some of those actually aren't on the table. If JWill (ender), Wright (kid) & the #20 were on the table, it would seem we would at least have an interest, even if we wanted to bring in a third team. But maybe Miami is not willing to do that until they have a replacement PG on the roster. So maybe they are trying to force Walker off in the deal. They list Haslem as being available, but he's really not very good if you remove him from the superstar coccoon, and at the same time its hard to see Miami giving him up given the lack of options. I also assume we would have no interest in a signed and traded Posey.

So if it was Walker that was the holdup...sheesh. Even getting a third team involved will be tough. Who would take on that contract off of that year? MAYBE New Jersey? For Jarron Collins? Just figuring they get somethng for a nobody? Or Houston? But I think the idea that Rick would like such a numbnut has always been vastly overrated. Maybe NY -- didn't Zeke have a hankering for Twoine once? Twoine, and throw in another of our contracts (Bard perhaps) and all of a sudden you could get that Francis contract + a kid + their #23 maybe?

From a selfish Kings standpoint I would rather see the Heat go for Artest than Bibby. Because that would keep hope alive that Bibby could be the key to turning to Boston for Ratliff and the #5, or Atlanta for that #3 or whatnot.

Anyway, the games appear to be afoot. And in the wonders of the internet age, this stuff really doesn't come out of left field the way it once did. We have access to all the financials, the rosters, rumor sites, messageboards, fellow posters. We've been talking about these as possibilities for months.
Don't forget Brick that Walker only has 2 years of guaranteed money left...we could realistically ship KT for Walker as part of the deal to shed a year off of the deal and have another contract expire with Bibby's to give us quite a bit more cap room...that's be 20 million coming off the books in the summer of 2009.