Kings to Pursue Rodney Stuckey

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If this means that Lawson doesn't come here, it's a positive. In a short snippet of radio yesterday I heard Lawson called dumb (by Vlade) and lazy and a knuckle-brain by another. No thanks to Lawson.

I was proposing Stuckey every time I got a chance recently, so I take full credit for Kings pursuing him. :D

People forgot, that Stuckey was a backup PG in that last deep Pistons run in 07/08 as a rookie. Then as the quality of roster was dwindling down, his role increased and became too large for him. Pistons realized this and shrunk it, which wasn't to Stuckey's liking, and he clashed with a coach. As a result a year ago Pistons spread stories about him, so only Pacers offered him vet minimum (previous contract was at $25 million/3 years). Stuckey was a model citizen this year as 6th man and spot starter, and Larry Bird was very enthusiastic about him at the end of the season PC.
Stuckey is actually of the same mold as Collison: can run plays to pass or score (though he goes all the way and doesn't settle into jumpshot like Darren), but can also play off the ball. At 6'5" with strong frame he has size to play next to Collison effectively on both ends. Lost a bit of quickness, so has some trouble defending speedsters.

Actually I like this, I think we could really use a guy like Stuckey from the bench. He can play the 1 and 2, he can score and play D. He also developed a pretty good 3pts shot last year. He could be a great addition at the right price. He's a veteran but still young, and exactly the player we need for our bench.

It's good to see Vlade is chasing the right pieces. First WCS, now Stuckey. Finally looks like we got someone who has a clue.

I like Stuckey off the bench. It would be a good move to bring him in. It would instantly make our second unit viable.

My question is whether his 39% 3-point shooting last season was a pleasant aberration from his career 30% number or whether he permanently fixed something. The Kings need both shooting and playmaking, and it'd be nice to get someone who can provide both (especially since we only have roughly $10 million in cap space, $13+ if we waive Landry).

K

KingMilz

He was very good last year in Indiana although Sessions prior to coming here was very good in Milwaukee and they sort of are similar type players in a way. I'd like Stuckey here I enjoyed watching him playing for Indy last season he was a key in huge chunk of there wins.

going off Vlade's previous comments though about playing with 2 PGs i think we need to look at this as if he will be starting besides DC.

Ben, Ray and Andre to back them up and Nik being shopped

I feel like I could use this picture every page of every thread recently.

haha you probs could though makes sense given Vlade's comments post draft and the Sacbee report on June 20 which reported Karl has a preference for a two-point guard backcourt.

Just to add to my comments, Stuckey's a good ball-handler whose usage rate ranks pretty highly amongst shooting guards.

i wouldnt say its jumping to conclusions more so then connecting the dots.

jumping to conclusions would be personified by the laker fans who think that by drafting a F/C we are trading demarcus to them. That is jumping to conclusions

Last edited:
I'm a firm supporter of bringing in Stuckey.
His market value shouldn't be very high, but he is a good player- the big contract and big share of the offense he got in Detroit made him seem like a bad player but I think he have good value.
Since we are probably not in play for big-time free agents and this FA class is a little weak when it comes to guards, bringing Stuckey in will be a very good result in my book.

Split 11mill between stuckey and Wesley Johnson. This solidifies our bench and checks the pg and SF defender/shooter Divacs been talking about. A bench of Ray/ Stuckey/Johnson/JT is a huge step up from last year.

I'd still have getting matthews as plan A.

Split 11mill between stuckey and Wesley Johnson. This solidifies our bench and checks the pg and SF defender/shooter Divacs been talking about. A bench of Ray/ Stuckey/Johnson/JT is a huge step up from last year.

W. Johnson? No thanks altho we should still thank Khan for picking him ahead of Cousins.

Houston can free up max contract slot, so they will have other priorities for a while, plus if they sign someone for that money, there will be no more left. Plus they are attempting to sign Sergio Llull from Real Madrid. And they are leaning towards matching Beverley. Plus Lawson is still likely out of Denver, and there are not many suitors with Houston being one of them.
P.S. Up until the draft everyone believed, that Rockets will pick Tyus Jones (PG), whom they reportedly gave a promise to, but they actually went with Dekker, who looks like a natural replacement for Brewer. If promise was real, Houston probably got a commitment from Llull, that he'll come over.

Last edited:
W. Johnson? No thanks altho we should still thank Khan for picking him ahead of Cousins.
Wes Johnson isn't a bad player and certainly would have a spot on the kings bench. If we can resign omri and sign johnson, I would like that alot. But with regards to Stuckey, I would think he would favor HOU over SAC any day of the week.

He has actually developed into a solid 3 and D wing, shouldnt be starting but as a second unit guy, pretty solid.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
going off Vlade's previous comments though about playing with 2 PGs i think we need to look at this as if he will be starting besides DC.

Ben, Ray and Andre to back them up and Nik being shopped
Very much so -- this is the Karl type of SG. half a PG, can help with the distribution.