[Game] Kings @ Thunder - Monday, Jan. 15 - ***5 PM*** PT

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
True. His rebounding should translate though even if nothing else does. His rebounding numbers were good in college for the minutes he got (albeit that's a whole other can of worms).
I watched Giles extensively at Duke so he is far and away my favorite King and he hasn't even played a game yet so I definitely have high hopes for him. He doesn't need to be some 20 and 10 machine for him to be a successful draft pick. The lower the expectations, the more saner the fanbase can become.

I watched Giles extensively at Duke so he is far and away my favorite King and he hasn't even played a game yet so I definitely have high hopes for him. He doesn't need to be some 20 and 10 machine for him to be a successful draft pick. The lower the expectations, the more saner the fanbase can become.
yeah. whoever threw the C-Webb comparison helps out nobody. I'd be happy if he were a solid starter. 12-10 on 25mpg.

Well...I guess it was nice to see the guys play well to begin the game. That lead looked really nice for a while there...

I've said this on here before, and I will keep on saying it again. At least until things change. We are a young team. We're going to have bad stretches. We are going to have good stretches. We are also going to have atrocious stretches. Those are the ones no NBA basketball fan, coach, player, or even dancer for that matter, EVER wants to see. EVER. What we need to do, however, as a team, is learn from those atrocious stretches. It will only make this team stronger down the road. I, for one, do not mind seeing this team struggle right now. Especially THIS roster. Sure, some pieces are going to be moved, and they should. But, I see the core of young guys sticking around for a while. I think losses like this one, along with a lot of the other losses we have suffered through this season, are actually good for them. It's good for their morale. I know that might sound as if it's coming out of left field. Just a little bit. But, I think bad stretches help a young team way more than winning does. I really do. It's all about learning with this team right now. They need to experience a sturdy kick in their butts every once in a while. They need that wake-up call every once in a while. They need that moment that tells them, "Hey, what we left out there tonight will never get us anywhere."

I, honestly, do not think this team is too far off from competing at a respectable level.

And, to share the sentiments of the great @VF21 , it's ALWAYS a good time to be a Kings fan. ALWAYS.

yeah. whoever threw the C-Webb comparison helps out nobody. I'd be happy if he were a solid starter. 12-10 on 25mpg.
Never understood the C-Webb comparison, as C-Webb was very polished offensively and to my recollection wasn’t a defensive specimen. Harry’s strengths were as a prospect motor, tenacity and athleticism

Adams basically picked Skal up and moved him out of the box out there. Not a foul if you're on OKC.
I have spent most of the last 45+ years watching college ball, only watching the NBA on a regular basis in my teens, it's been just the occasional high profile game or playoff game until the last 3 or 4 years when I started watching NBA regularly again. One of the biggest disappointments to me since coming back to the NBA, is the quality of the officiating, I really thought with all the money in the NBA now, that quality officiating would be a given. I realize what a hard job it is, extremely difficult with the increased speed, size, and power of NBA players. But, the consistency is so sorely lacking, and I just do not understand how they designate certain players as "untouchable" or to have "super star" status where the rule book does not apply to them all the time. You know I kind of like Adams, but not only does he look like a WWE wrestler, they let him play like one, he constantly throws smaller, lighter, players around like rag dolls and the officials ignore it. I don't know if there is an official secret list that all officials have of the designated "special exceptions" players or not, but that's the one thing they are consistent about, it's the same guys getting the officiating breaks every game.

Never understood the C-Webb comparison, as C-Webb was very polished offensively and to my recollection wasn’t a defensive specimen. Harry’s strengths were as a prospect motor, tenacity and athleticism
I don't think Giles is a defensive specimen either. He was a foul machine and I believe led the nation in fouls per minute last year so he's going to have a long way to go on that front. Either way I'd rather a guy have to tone his fouling down rather than learn how to play defense in the big leagues.

That would be Peja. He was comparing their size, athleticism, hands, passing and rebounding ability.
I think more than one person threw it out, who really knows. All I know is if that's what they project him to be, rest him for two seasons if it's what it takes to make his knees good again.

(no I don't really want to rest him two years guys, I'm just saying if he's that good don't Oden the guy)

Against OKC the Kings did not adjust in the second half to better defense. They settled for a lot of long range shots with a hand in the face. They moved less without the ball. Their offense stagnated. Their defense kept them in the game for a change.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think more than one person threw it out, who really knows. All I know is if that's what they project him to be, rest him for two seasons if it's what it takes to make his knees good again.

(no I don't really want to rest him two years guys, I'm just saying if he's that good don't Oden the guy)
Oden did get hurt getting off the couch, didn't he?

Oh, joy of pure unmitigated joy. Another stupid matinee (and on the road to boot, which means the guys are gonna be on West Coast time.)

After the last Clippers loss, Koz and Doug made a couple of really good points about the Kings attitude at the beginning of a game. Koz remarked and Doug reiterated that our young Kings seem to treat warm-up as some kind of circus event (my term, not theirs) with their attempts at showtime dunks, etc. Doug commented that back in the day, he and the rest of the REAL KINGS (my term, not theirs) actually warmed up, focusing on the game to come. Koz said our team right now just seems to look at warm-ups as playtime. They don't show up (out) on the court in WORK mode.

That, in a nutshell, explains a lot. One of the biggest differences between college ball and the NBA is the intensity. You have to be in full game mode at the tip-off, which means (at least according to Doug - whose opinion in this area I hold in very high regard) you have to get into that mindset when you come out of the tunnel. The layup line isn't the right time to try and impress the crowd with your dunking skills. A dunk in the warmups means less than nothing when your team starts the game by quickly digging themselves into a hole they cannot possibly get out of.

Some of that is immaturity. Some of it is, IMHO, on the coaches. Not just Joerger, but the guys who are out there during warmups. The rest is on the players. They need to really understand why they're there. They could all take a page from Bogdan Bogdanovich.

The Thunder should be at full strength. We're close, with only Mason and Giles currently in the injured list.

As for most of this year, I don't care if the Kings win. I do care, however, with increasing fervor, how they play. They must show the heart, hustle, energy and effort any player in the NBA should be willing to put forth every time they step onto the court.

You know what I'd like to see? The Bighorns play the Kings (just the young ones). I have a feeling our rooks might just get a wake-up call. The Bighorns may be the D-League but they always play with intensity. I wish they could instill it into their big brother team.

It's still a good time to be a Kings fan, even if it is frustrating.

GO KINGS!!!
I keep on forgetting to come back to this whenever I get on the site to check things out. So, since I remembered, here I am. The section of VF21's post that I have "bolded", "underlined" and given the "red font" treatment, is the one aspect of that night's (pre-game, actual game, or post-game) viewing experience that seriously sticks out to me like a big fat stinking sore thumb. Why? Because it is darn true. So darn true that it makes me feel like puking at times. I've noticed this aspect while watching pregame coverage (whenever they show certain players warming up). I don't get it??????? I understand you're a young kid, but C'MON, MAN!!!! Playtime should be in your backyard, or at the local gym, or at a park. Not at practice, or before/during games. It's so frustrating, at times, to watch this team play because you glimpses of this attitude even during games. Show up to work to work. Don't show up to play. If you want to show up to work to play, then don't freaking show up to work at all. Stay at home. Play at home.

Sure, showtime dunks during pregame warm-ups are acceptable, but only occasionally. Not every freaking darn day you have a game.

Maybe Doug can have a pep talk with the kids and beat that into their brains?????? Just, maybe????? I mean, it's Doug Freaking Christie. If no one on the current roster is gonna want to listen to what Doug Freaking Christie has to say, then maybe that "kid" oughta be sent packing...

With that being said, I do want to stress the importance, and validity, of VF21's closing comments. And also add my own twist to them...

It's ALWAYS a good time to be a Kings fan, even if it is frustrating.

I keep on forgetting to come back to this whenever I get on the site to check things out. So, since I remembered, here I am. The section of VF21's post that I have "bolded", "underlined" and given the "red font" treatment, is the one aspect of that night's (pre-game, actual game, or post-game) viewing experience that seriously sticks out to me like a big fat stinking sore thumb. Why? Because it is darn true. So darn true that it makes me feel like puking at times. I've noticed this aspect while watching pregame coverage (whenever they show certain players warming up). I don't get it??????? I understand you're a young kid, but C'MON, MAN!!!! Playtime should be in your backyard, or at the local gym, or at a park. Not at practice, or before/during games. It's so frustrating, at times, to watch this team play because you glimpses of this attitude even during games. Show up to work to work. Don't show up to play. If you want to show up to work to play, then don't freaking show up to work at all. Stay at home. Play at home.

Sure, showtime dunks during pregame warm-ups are acceptable, but only occasionally. Not every freaking darn day you have a game.

Maybe Doug can have a pep talk with the kids and beat that into their brains?????? Just, maybe????? I mean, it's Doug Freaking Christie. If no one on the current roster is gonna want to listen to what Doug Freaking Christie has to say, then maybe that "kid" oughta be sent packing...

With that being said, I do want to stress the importance, and validity, of VF21's closing comments. And also add my own twist to them...

It's ALWAYS a good time to be a Kings fan, even if it is frustrating.
I was a season ticket holder one season during their heyday (and went to10 - 15 games the other seasons). We almost always got there early and it was not uncommon to see the Kings doing trick shots. I saw them compete more than once seeing who could make shots while sitting on the bench. Peja would routinely out shoot teammates on shots where the ball went 30 - 40 feet in the air.

I was a season ticket holder one season during their heyday (and went to10 - 15 games the other seasons). We almost always got there early and it was not uncommon to see the Kings doing trick shots. I saw them compete more than once seeing who could make shots while sitting on the bench. Peja would routinely out shoot teammates on shots where the ball went 30 - 40 feet in the air.
I, too, was a season ticket holder during their heyday, and I do not recall seeing them doing trick shots all that often. I think, going back to Doug's point, yes, the teams back then did trick shots and did have friendly competitions during shootarounds. But they only did it to an extent and knew that, at the end of the day, their goal was to prepare for the game ahead. So, maybe they had a quick competition where guys performed crazy dunks, or crazy attempts at 3 point shots, or whatever the case may have been at the time. But, after that "quick" competition, they immediately got to work and focused on the game ahead. The current group of guys doesn't seem to do that. Maybe a few of them do, sure. But, for the most part, we have a bunch of kids who would much rather have fun during shootaround and pregame warmups than actually focusing on the game ahead, and maybe going to the line and shooting some free throws, or running behind the 3 point line and throwing up 3 point attempt, or maybe even defending a teammate down low, or at, or near, the 3 point line.