[Game] Kings @ Spurs - 3/8/17 - 5:30PT/8:30ET

Skal should most definetely be a starter next season or even near the end.

As for the vets the only ones I want to see back are KK, Temple, and Reke if he doesn't run for the hills

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Koz trying to push "Moral victories" and Kayte C and Jerry Reynolds both basically (and immediately) say "Hell no."
I liked that, especially the way that Kayte rolled her eyes as Kozimor fumbled to get the words out of his mouth.

When she was talking about the player stagnation, though, and the lack of ball movement... I thought that the Kings solved those problems; wha happened?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am now officially embarrassed to be a Kings fan. When fellow fans start sniping at Kayte Christensen, there's something wrong. She's doing her job - and it's not easy right now. People need to remember she's as much of a fan as we are...and she knows a helluva lot more about the freaking game than most o us ever dreamt of.

/endrant

Koz trying to push "Moral victories" and Kayte C and Jerry Reynolds both basically (and immediately) say "Hell no."
Yeah, I'm wondering what "moral victory" could possibly be found after the Kings were outscored by a whopping 38 points during the 2nd half and last 4:41 of the 2nd quarter -- or, better yet, over a span of 28 minutes and 41 seconds.

Who gives a rats @$$ if the team could build a 28-point lead when they had zero chance of holding it against what amounted to the Spurs "C" team?? I told my wife as soon as they got up by 25 that there was no way they'd hold it even against a Leonard and Aldridge-less team. True to form, not only did they not hold it, they had it blown before the end of the 3rd quarter.

I keep waiting for this hyper improvement all the Cousins naysayers promised would be there once the supposed cancer was removed. Oh, I know, I know ... it takes time. Like years.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I'm wondering what "moral victory" could possibly be found after the Kings were outscored by a whopping 38 points during the 2nd half and last 4:41 of the 2nd quarter -- or, better yet, over a span of 28 minutes and 41 seconds.

Who gives a rats @$$ if the team could build a 28-point lead when they had zero chance of holding it against what amounted to the Spurs "C" team?? I told my wife as soon as they got up by 25 that there was no way they'd hold it even against a Leonard and Aldridge-less team. True to form, not only did they not hold it, they had it blown before the end of the 3rd quarter.

I keep waiting for this hyper improvement all the Cousins naysayers promised would be there once the supposed cancer was removed. Oh, I know, I know ... it takes time. Like years.
Don't you listen to Grant Napear? The FUTURE is now available to the Kings without that black cloud hanging over the organization! And also we're a TEAM now and we always hustle back on defense at all times.

Pels lose to the Raps at home. I know the Raptors are good but I'm beginning to wonder if the Pelicans have thrown in the towel in hopes of keeping that top 3 pick. Or perhaps they just have the leagues worst back court.

Skal gives me some hope, and I cant wait to see what type of roster we start next season with sins half the current vets..

Don't you listen to Grant Napear?
Anybody that does needs their head examined and/or a hobby.

Pels lose to the Raps at home. I know the Raptors are good but I'm beginning to wonder if the Pelicans have thrown in the towel in hopes of keeping that top 3 pick. Or perhaps they just have the leagues worst back court.
They have zero depth. They were already worse than the Kings before the trade and had to give up the somewhat decent players they had to get DeMarcus. Losing Ryan Anderson in FA before the season really hurt them. If they had him now, they'd be much better off as he'd provide exactly what they need.

Skal gives me some hope, and I cant wait to see what type of roster we start next season with sins half the current vets..
Might have.

Davis played 0 minutes in the 2nd half.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think the DL has helped Skal a lot. I'm glad he played in the DL, and we're bringing him in slowly.
The answer underlying this idea that bringing along a pick slowly is beneficial might come into play. Let us say that as likely as Skal could be ROY, he also could have bad technique further embedded into his game. Perhaps we have waived a meaningless ROY award for better production down the road as his career develops. Just being a bit of a troublemaker. :p

I would really rather have the Pels squeek into the playoffs than finish 4th or 5th worse... too big a risk of losing the pick altogether - rather have #15 this year than whatever they get next year after pulling a top 3 pick in this draft.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Doug was borderline impossible to listen to this game, it sounded like he smoked some good stuff earlier..
I almost posted this earlier, but held back... I actually think it would be (is going to be?) very difficult to sit through 82 games of Doug's unique brand of commentary. He's fine in short bursts, but non-stop he'll get annoying very quickly unless he dials it back a bit.

I agree Doug Christie has long way to go as far as professional NBA telecast side-kick. He's not terrible but can become very monotonous and rather silly at times. Needs to STOP opening up virtually every utterance, Grant... well Grant... Grant this... Grant that... It's like he's worshiping the messiah or something instead of just plain talking. Also, his giggles have very weird ring to say the least. I like Doug a lot but needs to go listen to many hours of seasoned professional on-air NBA analysts in game action and learn a thing or two. Hopefully Jerry with all his corny baggage but expertise back sooner rather than later. Give Kayte a shot next to Grant before replacing the devil by some less controversial voice next season - can't hurt. Long stretches of games I mute TV audio and just listen to Kings be all end all pro radio announcer G-Man - what a relief!

I enjoy Christie's optimism, and he has proven success as an NBA player which many announcers do not. I personally think that counts for a lot during his in-game comments. But I agree that he (clearly) needs to become more professional. Some of the phrases he says are just unprofessional, to put it nicely.

I had fun watching this game. Skal, Hield ans Tyreke looked good at times. Especially Skal. I was hoping we could hold on. But the Spurs know exactly what to do. I hate to complain about the officiating... But when the Spurs where playing aggressive D in the third they did a few holds etc that the officials did not call. Once we lost momentum we got a few calls. There was no stopping the spurs at that point. I like the way our young guys played for the most part. Frustrating ending.

Oh and I like Christie's play by play.

I knew momentum shift was likely when Joerger sat Skal and returned Affalo. Skal was causing havoc on the boards, running the floor, providing post threat and moving extremely well in help defense. We lost his activity when genius coach decided to shut him down for the night. No reason he couldn't have given Skal a two minute blow and sent him back in for crunch minutes except for stubbornness and stupidity. It would have been great morale booster to win game with pending loss streak and guys being engaged and emotionally invested in this game. You saw that when Tyreke got called for bogus charge in backcourt and bench erupted in unison. We did not see this type of togetherness and engagement with Boogie because of the oxygen he sucked from the room.

The other point is when you lose 28 point lead and lose by 10 (38 point swing!) you have to look for culprits and one guy who sticks out is Willie. We need him to be an impact player not another guy on the court. He needs to be plus rebounder or plus scorer, preferably both, but not neither! When you look at quality of competition minus Aldridge this was game Willie needs double digit scoring or rebounding not 8 and 3 in 27 with 5 fouls. After great game at home Willie had he's been pedestrian at best. To partially make up for the loss of Boogie I said we needed Willie to double his production in double minutes. Reasonable, right? That meant going from 15 MPG and 6 PPG and 3 RPG to:
  • 30 MPG
  • 12-14 PPG
  • 6-8 RPG
If Willie posts these numbers that would be half loss of Boogie production, with other half in points provided by Buddy. I am not saying this is fair exchange in total but would allow team to compete respectably. Buddy has carried his weight in points with 13 PPG on 52% in 7 games. Willie has been invisible too often with inability to finish plays. In his last 55 minutes of court time Willie has shot zero free throws! You are telling me a guy that can sky like that can't be aggressive enough to draw a shooting foul?!? Give me a break! Willie needs to turn it up and quit mousing around between now and end of season and put together stretch of 14/10 production that shows he has starter potential. Otherwise it only creates more questions and uncertainty in an offseason with a lot more questions than answers.

Last edited:
I knew momentum shift was likely when Joerger sat Skal and returned Affalo. Skal was causing havoc on the boards, running the floor, providing post threat and moving extremely well in help defense. We lost his activity when genius coach decided to shut him down for the night. No reason he couldn't have given Skal a two minute blow and sent him back in for crunch minutes except for stubbornness and stupidity. It would have been great morale booster to win game with pending loss streak and guys being engaged and emotionally invested in this game. You saw that when Tyreke got called for bogus charge in backcourt and bench erupted in unison. We did not see this type of togetherness and engagement with Boogie because of the oxygen he sucked from the room.

The other point is when you lose 28 point lead and lose by 10 (38 point swing!) you have to look for culprits and one guy who sticks out is Willie. We need him to be an impact player not just another guy on the court. He needs to be plus rebounder or plus scorer, preferably both, but not neither! When you look at quality of competition minus Aldridge this was game Willie needs double digit scoring or rebounding not 8 and 3 in 27 with 5 fouls.

After great game at home Willie had he's been pedestrian at best. To partially make up for the loss of Boogie I said we needed Willie to double his production in double minutes. Reasonable, right? That meant going from 15 MPG and 6 PPG and 3 RPG to:
  • 30 MPG
  • 12-14 PPG
  • 6-8 RPG
If Willie posts these numbers that would be half loss of Boogie production, with the other half in points provided by Buddy. I am not saying this is fair exchange in total but would allow team to compete respectably. Buddy has carried his weight in points with 13 PPG on 52% in 7 games. Willie has been invisible too often with inability to finish plays. In his last 55 minutes of court time Willie has shot zero free throws! You are telling me a guy that can sky like that can't be aggressive enough to draw a foul?!? Give me a break! Willie needs to turn it up and quit mousing out between now and end of season and put together stretch of 14/10 production that shows he has starter potential. Otherwise it only creates more questions and uncertainty in a offseason with a lot more questions than answers.
The bench cheers the same way now as they did when Boogie was here. He wasn't sucking the oxygen from anybody.

The bench has always erupted when the young players have made plays and many times it was Cousins leading the way with the towel waving.