Kings sign David Stockton to multi-year deal

Marc SteinVerified account‏@ESPNSteinLine
David Stockton, @nbadleague triple-double machine, on his way back to NBA. Story going up now: Kings signing Young Stock to multi-year deal

I mean, I know there are SIGNIFICANT concerns about Stock in the NBA, but at some point, you got to take another look at the guy who's absolutely shredding the D-League. In his last 10, he's averaging 27 PPG, 12.3 APG, 5.5 RPG, 2.1 SPG shooting 44% FG and 41% from 3. I don't care if he plays in Reno; those numbers are insanely hard to put up.

The multi-year contract is VERY interesting to me. Sends the message that Ray Mac failed the audition for Karl as we're not going to keep 2 development PGs.

Bad tweet. Actual details as follows:

http://abc30.com/sports/david-stock...ikely-to-leave-sim-bhullar-off-roster/649738/

"Multi-year deal" likely means end of 2015 and through start of 2015-2016 season. In other words, they're slapping a contract on him to prevent other teams from trying to steal him away in the summer. This isn't a 3 year contract, more like a 6 month deal that spans an offseason (still no solid info yet AFAIK).

Interesting wrinkle is that this means Sim will not be locked up over the summer. Not that's he a great prospect, but he is a 7'5" prospect, and that will always turn some heads.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
No details to see if it really means anything. Multi year could be this year and next. The question is what is the guaranteed money?
That's exactly it. The guaranteed money is probably ZERO. There has been a growing trend in the NBA to sign fringe roster guys in April to "multi-year" contracts which play out the remainder of the season and are then fully unguaranteed for the next season. This contract can then be traded as if it was real money that really counted towards the salary cap and the receiving team can then simply waive it.

As I said, very popular these days. Let's be honest, did everybody see Stockton and how lost he looked on court the few minutes he played? This is not a diamond-in-the-rough signing. This is a salary-cap-manipulation signing. And, to be honest, probably one of those last-gasp "I'm still a salary-cap guru" moves from a PDA who has seen the Vlade on the wall.

That's exactly it. The guaranteed money is probably ZERO. There has been a growing trend in the NBA to sign fringe roster guys in April to "multi-year" contracts which play out the remainder of the season and are then fully unguaranteed for the next season. This contract can then be traded as if it was real money that really counted towards the salary cap and the receiving team can then simply waive it.

As I said, very popular these days. Let's be honest, did everybody see Stockton and how lost he looked on court the few minutes he played? This is not a diamond-in-the-rough signing. This is a salary-cap-manipulation signing. And, to be honest, probably one of those last-gasp "I'm still a salary-cap guru" moves from a PDA who has seen the Vlade on the wall.
I think it's really an issue of the D-League not being a true farm league. In that environment, you have no choice but to ink these kind of deals, since otherwise "your" D-League players can get swiped pretty easily (see: Miller, Quincy).

I'm not sure how this helps with trades - isn't the value so low that it wouldn't be significant?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not sure how this helps with trades - isn't the value so low that it wouldn't be significant?
This type of contract is usually a bit short of $1M - but every bit counts, and if the alternative to make a deal work under the CBA is to include Ray...

And if no trade needing this contract materializes, we can simply waive it ourselves, no obligation.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

To be fair, Lil' Stock (claiming credit for that name now) didn't look any worse than Ramon Sessions did in his three months on the roster.

J

jdbraver

Is it wise to allocate salary cap to a player who may not play b4 we figure out how much the summers FA will cost?

He couldn't guard his position well in college. This move ensures the Kings control the rights of a player nobody else wants based upon his reno abomination stats.

Even if there was no guaranteed money, the person who said "Should we lock up David Stockton before he gets away" should have been met with eye rolls and silence.

If Vlade green lit any cap commitments for this summer to control his rights going forward, he needs a GM not help

I believe Stockton will be considered a second-year player for next season, which bumps his salary $400,000 over minimum cap hold. Why shrink available cap space, bidding against themselves?

Capt. Factorial has a very good point IMO. They just locked up a young guy with a known name for little $$$. It is just a way for GM's to create an asset using the new math.

I'll throw it out there

Landry, Stauskas, Ray Mac, our pick

For

Ty Lawson , Wilson Chandler

2015-16 kings

Pg: Lawson/Collison/Stocton
Sg: Chandler/ mcLemore
Sf: Gay/ Casspi
Pf: Free agent/gay/Jt
C: Cuz/Jt/free agent

J

jdbraver

I'll throw it out there

For

2015-16 kings

Depends on our pick

J

jdbraver

Capt. Factorial has a very good point IMO. They just locked up a young guy with a known name for little $$$. It is just a way for GM's to create an asset using the new math.
Do you think people will come to games to see him? Or to attract FAs? I'm thinking no.

Interesting and risk free move. Doesn't hurt, but really doesn't make much sense. Cheap pick up nonetheless and they may know something/have seen something that we didn't (didn't watch a second of him in college or D-league so no clue).

I'll throw it out there

For

2015-16 kings

I wouldn't trade our top 6 pick for Lawson.

I would rather trade Darren Collison and Stauskas for Lawson.

A top 6 pick could get us our new Power Forward in WCS to pair with DMC for the next 10 years.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I think your dead on. There's nothing guaranteed in this deal, at least as it stands now with the info we have. So it could be two fold. He becomes a usable piece in a future trade, or at worse, were protecting a player that shows some potntial. That last part is up for debate of course. I saw Stockton play a lot in his four years at Gonzaga, and I saw nothing that resembled his father. Could he be a late bloomer? Sure, miracles do happen, but I'd still wonder if he could stand up to the rigors of the NBA, regardless of his abilities. He's something like 5'11" and a 160 pounds. He always looked frail to me on the court. His mind might be willing, but can his body stand up to what his mind wills.

That said, he has some skills. He is a pass first PG who handles the ball well enough to play the point. He was never a great three point shooter in college, and for a time, he struggled at the freethrow line as well. Never say never, but I suspect that the Capt is right and this has more to do with salary cap manipulation for a possible future trade than anything else.