Kings sign Carl Landry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have yet to see a player that wasn't a good defender in his first few years in the league end up as a defensive anchor. They can improve to not being a liability, sure, but a defensive anchor is another thing altogether. Gasol was DPOY. I bet you that Cousins will never ever even make NBA 1st team defense, very likely not even 2nd team. That just isn't his calling.
Well i have seen many players develop into something i had never expected. And we dont need a DPOY to become a better defensive team. We need DMC playing smarter and to try to block some shots and contest penetration. What makes me feel that this is doable? I think DMC's liability on D is just a lack of effort and experience. He's got all the tools: big, strong, great courtvision, quick feet, nice timing, great hands. There is no reason for him not to be an above average defender.

We dont need this scary, athletic shotblocker like Ibaka f.e. If we arent able to get a defensive anchor via trades and FA, we need to develop DMC. We literally have no choice. Everything in basketball outside of the physical gifts is coachable.

Can you name me something, that JT is able to do offensively, that Landry can't do too?
I m with you in term of defensiv problems, that can occur, if Landry and DMC are on the floor, but offensively i dont see that much of a difference to what our Frontcourt looks now.
I think Landry can provide some fighting spirit to the team, that JT or Patterson just dont have at all. Our current frontcourt is way too soft and doesnt show signs of leadership and fighting spirit at all, if DMC is off the floor. JT and Patterson seem to be very humble and nice guys, but they dont carry the team on their shoulders in terms of competiveness. Maybe the FO thinks, that Landry can do that.

On the defensive end, one can hope, that DMC improves as a shot-blocker under the reign of M.Malone. He has the timing, but seems to sleepwalk out there sometimes. If Malone thinks, that he can turn DMC into a defensive presence (maybe Shaq can help him too) there might be a spot for Landry, without weakening the defense all too much.
Pass. JT actually can pass well from the high post when there is some sort of game plan you saw it in flashes every once in a while when someone forgot themselves and moved without the ball. Going from memory JT was always more willing to move away from the basket and most of his close in stuff is from the outside(2 steps) in not face up of course(garbage putbacks and clean ups rather then specific calling for the ball and trying to power through.)

Pass. JT actually can pass well from the high post when there is some sort of game plan you saw it in flashes every once in a while when someone forgot themselves and moved without the ball. Going from memory JT was always more willing to move away from the basket and most of his close in stuff is from the outside(2 steps) in not face up of course(garbage putbacks and clean ups rather then specific calling for the ball and trying to power through.)
You r right. But Landry had a different role last year. He was used to provide some scoring on the low-post. Maybe Malone can coach him to become a more willing passer. Just trying to stay positive. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.