Kings should trade for Cabarkapa

#1sacfan

Some people might think, who is this guy? That is Zarko Cabarkapa of the Phoenix Suns. The guy is 6'11 and can shoot and handle the rock. He would be a very good backup to have for Pedja (also a fellow countryman of Pedja's) and he can also play some PF if we go to a quick run & gun lineup.

Right now his situation is that he had a great summer league last year and started off the season very well before he broke his wrist on a cheap shot by Fortson. He is now buried on the bench beneath Marion, Stoudamire, Joe Johnson and Q Rich. A change of scenery could be just what the guy needs and the Kings could get him at a cheap price (If phoenix is willing which is a question.)

What are your thoughts?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
In some ways he could be perfect -- basically a replacement Hedo if he panned out. Unfortunately the only likely way we could get him would be in the uber-Peja for Marion/Johnson trade scenario. At this point we are fresh ouot of low-value trading chips. All we have to trade are core guys. And you can't really trade a core guy for a Cabarkapa without knowing if he's going to pan out or not. Maybe a future pick. But then why would Phoenix do that?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
In some ways he could be perfect -- basically a replacement Hedo if he panned out. Unfortunately the only likely way we could get him would be in the uber-Peja for Marion/Johnson trade scenario. At this point we are fresh ouot of low-value trading chips. All we have to trade are core guys. And you can't really trade a core guy for a Cabarkapa without knowing if he's going to pan out or not. Maybe a future pick. But then why would Phoenix do that?
If anyone can make a losided trae hapen it is GP. Not sure this is the guy but some how I can see Petrie trading Alexander and picks or better yet sign Minard and trade HIM and pick.... Oh well I suspect there will be no more trades for the Kings this year. Maybe one more FA contract if the right Center or SF were availalbe... I think the roster for the season is essentaly set.

G

godsthename

i dunno what hes thinking we have let good players slip through our finger tips. We should have kept Jim Jackson last year and now we lost peeler and massenberg. We waited way to long we should of picked up a solid backup sf and pf. Whats going on with funderberke and jabari smith?

He's a nice player and his best days are definitely ahead of him, but we don't have much the Suns would be interested in and I haven't heard anything that says they're worried about having too much depth at forward so it's not like they'll just give him away.

As long as ball handler, doesn't mean finesse player, then he might be what we want. The Kings still feel a little weak in the defensive side, and seeing how jackson and christie aren't getting any younger, I'd rather see a more hard-noised defender come under managements radar. In that respect I really like what I see in maurice evans. But without a doubt we need another big man.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
godsthename said:
i dunno what hes thinking we have let good players slip through our finger tips. We should have kept Jim Jackson last year and now we lost peeler and massenberg. We waited way to long we should of picked up a solid backup sf and pf. Whats going on with funderberke and jabari smith?
Funderburke asked for and received a release out of his contract at the end of last year. He is an unsigned free agent at this point and will, most likely, retire.

Jabari Smith is also an unsigned free agent, who reportedly failed to show up at a training camp.

We have a solid backup PF. His name is Darius Songaila.

We "lost" Peeler because he chose not to exercise his option. Massenberg left primarily because he didn't know what was appropriate to talk about outside of the locker room.

The only player you've mentioned that a number of fans actually regret losing is Jim Jackson.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Apropos of nothing, I regret the fact that Funderburke left before we could finally win it all; he was probably my favorite player, besides which, he was the last player to be on the Kings team the last time we had a losing season, and the first player in the Sacramento-era of the franchise to play his entire career with the team... I really hoped that he would have been "rewarded" with a ring. And I'll tell you something else: I'd much rather have Lawrence as a fifth big man than whoever the hell we're going to end up with...

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I regret the fact that Funderburke left before we could finally win it all; he was...the first player in the Sacramento-era of the franchise to play his entire career with the team...
I think Ryan Robertson achieved that illustrious status a few years ago.

One and done... ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
1kingzfan said:
I think Ryan Robertson achieved that illustrious status a few years ago.

One and done... ;)
Uhh... no. I guess I should have been more specific: :eek:

For the purposes of this exercise, everyone will assume that anybody who didn't last at least five years in the NBA doesn't count. There are dozens of one-year players who only played a season or less.

Although... upon further review, I'm still wrong: Funderburke, who officially lasted seven years in the NBA (even though he didn't play a single game last season), is only the second player in the franchise's Sacramento-era history, that lasted at least five years in the league, to have played their entire careers in Sacramento. In fact, he's only the fourth player in Sacramento-era history to have played at least three years in the league that played his entire career with Sacramento:

Lionel Simmons (7) - 1990-1997
Lawrence Funderburke (7*) - 1997-2004*
Harold Pressley (4) - 1986-1990
Michael Jackson (3) - 1987-1990

He's definately an interesting prospect. I remember the Suns raving about this kid early last season and he was putting up some decent numbers. Ofcourse that all ended when Danny Fortson (I think) flagrantly fouled him and broke his wrist. But like others have mentioned we don't really have any trade bait.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Trading within the same division almost never happens. Carbarkapa has possibilities to back up the 4 and 5 and maybe the 3 but I can't see him being the scorer Alexander or Evans can be. But who knows? Petrie is the master and I bow to his suprise coming monday.

from what i've seen.. Zarko's game is more reminiscent of a PF than a SF... (he doesn't really have the best shot)

I think he'd be good for us, but as other people have already mentioned, he does seem to overlap with Darius a lot... another thing is because of his "Potential" i'm sure Phoenix wouldn't part with him without us giving back more in exchange...

his preseason numbers aren't to inspriing either... -_-;;
[10min: 2.8ppg, 3.2rpg, 1.33TO on .304% Shooting]

LPKingsFan said:
How could you forget the L-Train?
whatever happened to him? he played with us for 4 solid seasons.. then 3 really bad ones.... but i dont remember why there was the big drop off or where he went after that" anyone know?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
tetsuo916 said:
whatever happened to him? he played with us for 4 solid seasons.. then 3 really bad ones.... but i dont remember why there was the big drop off or where he went after that" anyone know?
bad knees. Surprised at just how quickly it ended it for him.