kings-philly trade tracker

Since it was so ridiculed and used as a proof that Divac has no clue, I thought it might be inspiring to revisit this trade a year later.

Kings lost: Thompson, Landry, Stauskas, first round pick in 2019 and right to swap picks this year.
Kings got: Koufos, 22nd first round pick, Mitrovic and Gudaitis

Simplified, this <insert your snide remark about Kings and newbie Divac> trade is:
We give you leftovers from our yard sale and you get us KK and 2 second round picks we like.

Go Vlade!

Go or bad what we used the cap space for is not really part of the trade.

All it was, was the price of cap space at the start of FA. In addition, to Carl's salary this season and the Thompson buyout of I think it was around 3 million.

With no stretch needed.

12-13 million total for JT & Carl last season, around 9 this season. Those numbers are approximate, but close enough.

of course that what we used money for matters when evaluating the trade.

There is a huge difference whether Kings just did this to save $$$ (which would be the scenario you described) or they invested that money into basketball assets (which they did).

I'm not sure how "Philly wins or loses"

Based on how we invest money.

What they received is what they received, not sure why how the money spent changes what they received.

I dont give a damn about sixers.

Purely watching from the Kings perspective.
It was a good deal for them, but it was also a very good deal for us.

The Kings also freed up 3 big roster spots that were clogging the team, preventing flexibility (like seeing if Marco could do well here) and chewing up minutes.
It also rid the team of IMO bad personalities that costs the team more than people realize.
There was simply little chance of putting together a winner with JT (his deficiencies could fill a book), Landry (Mr. Smiling on the bench whenever being blown out) and Nik "Not Ready For Primetime" Stauskas.

There's a pretty big chance that trading for the 22nd pick this year may well have already made up for the majority of what that 2019 pick lost.

Last edited: