[Game] Kings @ Pelicans - 3/31/17 - 5PT/8ET

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm glad Cousins is gone. It's not like I miss all that winning with him around. Let him spread his "winning self" to NO and be done with him. Even in this game it was Anthony Davis that broke it open in the first half, not Cousins. It's all good with Cousins when it's all good, but when things go south, he goes even more south: The shoulders shrug, the head bows, the grimace starts, the arguing with the refs escalates. Been there, seen it a million times. Goodbye and good riddance. The Pels can now enjoy the Cousins'-centric psycho drama that Kings fans endured for years.

Papa - 19 years old
Skal - 21
WCS - 23
Hield -23
M. Richardson - 23

We'll see who has the last laugh on this story.

Damn I missed a Cuz interview? Anything noteworthy?
Kayte did an on court post game interview with him. Just him saying how great it was to see everybody since he wasn't able to properly say goodbye. Described going out with some teammates and staff and seemed to get choked up a bit. Kayte shifted to him playing for the Pelicans. He said it was good to see Kayte again.

...and then Koz said if he had more interviews like that he would be finishing his 7th season as a King. That disappointed me.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Kayte did an on court post game interview with him. Just him saying how great it was to see everybody since he wasn't able to properly say goodbye. Described going out with some teammates and staff and seemed to get choked up a bit. Kayte shifted to him playing for the Pelicans. He said it was good to see Kayte again.

...and then Koz said if he had more interviews like that he would be finishing his 7th season as a King. That disappointed me.
Koz has been an annoying troll in his return. Smh

-Kingster-

Exactly my sentiments, well said, spot on.

No disputing Cousins skill and talent, but this team requires a different array of talents. Multiple players in contribution, with a strong bench, rather then a truly dominating player who eclipses, but hinders the play as a team. I acknowledge how this rebuild is indeed a painful and slow step, but the result will be worth the wait IMO.

We need to nail this upcoming draft, make sound decisions on role players to add, and be patient with the emerging talent. That will be the formula that will exceed what having kept Cousins will bring to fruition.

Last edited:
If Cousins played like he did tonight consistently he wouldn't have been traded

Not only were they worried about giving 40 a year to a heavy set player who hasn't demonstrated being a first option on a winning team, he was becoming more perimeter oriented as a stretch big. I believe if they could've coached him into being a dominant low post threat nightly he wouldn't have been moved, but who knows what goes on behind the scenes

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'm glad Cousins is gone. It's not like I miss all that winning with him around. Let him spread his "winning self" to NO and be done with him. Even in this game it was Anthony Davis that broke it open in the first half, not Cousins. It's all good with Cousins when it's all good, but when things go south, he goes even more south: The shoulders shrug, the head bows, the grimace starts, the arguing with the refs escalates. Been there, seen it a million times. Goodbye and good riddance. The Pels can now enjoy the Cousins'-centric psycho drama that Kings fans endured for years.

Papa - 19 years old
Skal - 21
WCS - 23
Hield -23
M. Richardson - 23

We'll see who has the last laugh on this story.
youth =! better
But I guess the potential for success is always greater when you start over.

Well yeah if he averaged 37, 13, 4, 3 and 2, of course he wouldn't be traded. He would be in the running for MVP. He also went 5-8 from three.

As far as the Kings, I thought the rookies were all bad. Skal got worked over on defense and didn't make up for it on offense. Hield shot well but turned the ball over enough to negate his offense. Papa looked lost and continues to do two things that really annoy me. The first is he doesn't get his man off him when he's waiting for the pass. The second is he's always leaving his feet on outside shooters. He should never leave his feet unless he's right in around the paint. He's actually fantastic at staying in front of guards but he always gets himself way out of position by leaving his feet.

The one positive lately has been WCS's rebounding.

Another thing I've noticed is none of our bigs have very good hands. WCS has the best hands of the 3 but he's still well below average on receiving passes that aren't lobs. Hopefully these guys improve with experience.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well yeah if he averaged 37, 13, 4, 3 and 2, of course he wouldn't be traded. He would be in the running for MVP. He also went 5-8 from three.

As far as the Kings, I thought the rookies were all bad. Skal got worked over on defense and didn't make up for it on offense. Hield shot well but turned the ball over enough to negate his offense. Papa looked lost and continues to do two things that really annoy me. The first is he doesn't get his man off him when he's waiting for the pass. The second is he's always leaving his feet on outside shooters. He should never leave his feet unless he's right in around the paint. He's actually fantastic at staying in front of guards but he always gets himself way out of position by leaving his feet.

Another thing I've noticed is none of our bigs have very good hands. WCS has the best hands of the 3 but he's still well below average on receiving passes that aren't lobs. Hopefully these guys improve with experience.
That's what stood out the most to me

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If Cousins played like he did tonight consistently he wouldn't have been traded

Not only were they worried about giving 40 a year to a heavy set player who hasn't demonstrated being a first option on a winning team, he was becoming more perimeter oriented as a stretch big. I believe if they could've coached him into being a dominant low post threat nightly he wouldn't have been moved, but who knows what goes on behind the scenes
Tell me, what was so different tonight compared to the rest of the games he has played for the Pelicans or even the last two or three with the Kings?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I doubt that very highly

Regarding the bad hands, they look like they are trying to begin their moves before they have the ball. They're also being pushed out of position as the ball arrives. Hopefully, those things can be cleaned up as the game slows down for them and they get more familiar with each other.

Regarding the bad hands, they look like they are trying to begin their moves before they have the ball. They're also being pushed out of position as the ball arrives. Hopefully, those things can be cleaned up as the game slows down for them and they get more familiar with each other.
Yeah I'm hoping it's a technique thing or the game just moving fast right now. Hopefully it's not just because they have bad hands because that's not really something guys improve on a whole lot. It's something you kind of either have or you don't. We've been spoiled for years with Webber's and Cousins' mitts.

Tell me, what was so different tonight compared to the rest of the games he has played for the Pelicans or even the last two or three with the Kings?
? It's arguable if the Pelicans have been better without him. Composure, consistent post play, keeping turnovers down, efficiency were precise tonight

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
? It's arguable if the Pelicans have been better without him. Composure, consistent post play, keeping turnovers down, efficiency were precise tonight
You can't possibly conclude they are better without him based off of 25 games or so, can you? he has another full season and a full training camp with Davis for them two to mesh. I'm not saying it will necessarily work out but I won't say that it won't either. It's too early to be making judgment, let's wait until he plays a full season and what type of roster Demps surrounds his bigs with and then pass judgment. But then again, to each his own :cool:

It was good to see Boogie smiling and winning out there. Must have felt like practice reps vs the Kings rooks. Cuz had nice things to say about Skal and the rest afterwards. I think one thing that's clear right now is that the young Kings bigs don't know how to defend the paint yet. There was a lack of rotating to cover the rim in this game and no eating up space to deter drives.

Pels had an adjustment period and have since started playing much better. Curious to see if the duo of Cuz and Davis can draw free agents to there.

You can't possibly conclude they are better without him based off of 25 games or so, can you? he has another full season and a full training camp with Davis for them two to mesh. I'm not saying it will necessarily work out but I won't say that it won't either. It's too early to be making judgment, let's wait until he plays a full season and what type of roster Demps surrounds his bigs with and then pass judgment. But then again, to each his own :cool:
I was talking about the reason why the Kings wanted to trade him. Why would that be? They had no problems with him on the court. It was, in my estimation, his game turning more perimiter. If he was a monster in the post on a consistent basis I'm not sure he would've been traded

Why would management want to trade him? Many here seem to think there was no reasoning on the court for it?

Your mistake is assuming anything Kings related has a sensible or noble explanation.

They were faced with giving a star a big contract, but not knowing how to build around a player. So they cut the player free for a nickel on the dollar, and returned to what they know best: the perpetual rebuild promise. It's cost effective, they know how to sell it the locals, and it delays expectations. It's not about on the court or in the locker room. It's about politics on the front office side and the same old ghosts and PR people doing their thing. If you think they're trying to actually succeed then you'll never make sense of it all. They (those with actual power in the business of the Kings) aren't interested in the higher investment of winning. You don't do any of the things the Kings do if you are interested in winning.

Game turned out about as expected. The Pels started to take control when DMC went to the bench in the 1st quarter. I think the Big Fella was pretty emotional to start the game. He played a lot better when he came back in the 2nd quarter. The Kings shot the ball poorly, turned it over and got more fouls called on them. But I enjoyed watching the young guys compete. Bam Bam took a Cousins elbow to the face when he blocked the big fellas shot, no call:) Kings out rebounded the Pels by the way.

Yeah, totally unnecessary and untrue. Cousins wasn't any different of a guy in that interview than he's been his entire career.

Also, Peaches sure did his best to get in his digs when he could tonight. I know Carmicahel Dave doesn't like to believe that the radio guy bleeds into the play-by-play, but it so obviously does. And it's beyond tiresome. A great example was early in the game. Doug Christie mentioned that Alvin Gentry and the Pelicans were complaining to the refs even though they only had 2 fouls thus far and Peaches response was "they always complain". He strategically used the word they, but we all know who the dig was directed at.

At some point Peaches needs to wake up and realize that he complains more than DeMarcus. Pot meet kettle.