Kings Offer Contract to George Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care for Corbin much but how can you do this to him? He's still our coach and the Kings are supposedly offering another guy the job? Man that's cold......
What kind of a mess will this be if for some reason Karl turns us down?

I don't care for Corbin much but how can you do this to him? He's still our coach and the Kings are supposedly offering another guy the job? Man that's cold......
That will happen when you take a team that was playing .500 ball and go 6-20.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Uh, it's already pretty messy.

Wouldn't you think the specifics would have already been hammered out (years, dollars) before formally offering him a contract? I would think it's a situation that the Kings mgmt believe they have an agreement. Of course, flashbacks of Stan Van Gundy still come to mind. Will the magic do it to us again?

Wouldn't you think the specifics would have already been hammered out (years, dollars) before formally offering him a contract? I would think it's a situation that the Kings mgmt believe they have an agreement. Of course, flashbacks of Stan Van Gundy still come to mind. Will the magic do it to us again?
My gut feeling tells me yes.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well this could easily be true if the holdup is indeed financial terms. We "offered him a contract" of 3yrs $3mil per or some such.

The part unreported would be he told us to jump in a lake until we got to 4yrs $5mil per.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
are they making this move bc they want season ticket holders to re-up or just doing it to be in the news like usual.
I'm pretty sure they were willing to ride it out till the end of the year. If PDA had to make some season ticket holder calls, then he probably got an earful of how dire things truly were from a fan perspective, and had to move up the timetable. Make no mistake about it, this is a pretty reactionary move. If the plan was for Karl all along, it would have been done before the Corbin era began. I'm sure they expected enough mediocrity to be able to keep everyone on board. They (stupidly) didn't expect the bottom to fall out, which it did.

The thing is, the fact that it seems pretty reactionary might actually help us out here. There's an "easy hire" to be made, and it will instantly bring back a lot of the fans, and, more importantly, the players. Could a better hire be had in the summer? Maybe yes, but also the danger that Mullin could take over is probably statistically significant enough to mention.

I don't think it was about being in the news - lately they've been in it for all the wrong reasons, and would probably like to avoid that.

Carmichael Dave @
carmichaeldave · 20s20 seconds ago
Kings will be able to take advantage of 1-1/2 weeks of downtime for ASG, acquaint Karl with players, run a few practices.

Carmichael Dave @
carmichaeldave · 1m1 minute ago
With all the moving pieces, I would imagine a leak happens tonight, official announcement with presser over break. My guess at the timeline.

Carmichael Dave @
carmichaeldave · 3m3 minutes ago
It seems most logical that Karl's first game as Kings coach would be at home vs the Celtics Feb. 20th.

Carmichael Dave @
carmichaeldave · 5m5 minutes ago
Barring a last minute setback, George Karl will be the next Kings head coach. Most likely to take effect during all-star break.

Carmichael Dave @
carmichaeldave · 15m15 minutes ago
The George Karl hiring is all but inevitable. Timing of announcement along with the 2 remaining games before break factor.

Makes perfect sense. He wouldn't start during the two games before the all-star break, he as well as the front office need time to get everything together. Carmichael Dave is probably right, at this pace there should be leak this afternoon or evening. They will make the official announcement right after the last game before the all-star break, maybe the next morning with a press conference right after. Hopefully with the 10 day break Karl can have some contact with the players to start fresh, even better if he can meet with them before they leave.

I just feel bad for Tyrone Corbin, he is a good guy and professional. He knows that he wasn't the long-term answer from the very beginning and still handled everything as a professional. Now the leak will come out today and Corbin will still have to coach two games knowing that he is gone and the players knowing that as well. I might bet against the Kings in those games.

Yes, the way Vivek, PDA and Mullin has handled this year has been a huge mess to say the least. It was unfair to Malone and unfair to Corbin as well. This really shows how clueless these supposedly smart guys are. Not sure how you can do this to Corbin after saying he has the support of the FO and he will be the coach for the rest of the season.

I really hope that this mess doesn't drag onto the Karl relationship. What I mean is that I hope all the details are ironed out, understood and agreed upon from all sides before jumping into another impulsive move.
I really hope Vivek realizes that Karl is not a weak coach and will not take his basketball advice. Vivek needs to be ok with this and let Karl coach the team. No more asking the coach to play a certain way or to give a certain player more playing time.

They also need to iron out how Karl is going to relate to Cousins before jumping into this. Cousins by all means have taken leaps and bounds in his maturity and I can see it working with Karl. But Boogie is still a unique character and the coach needs to know how to relate to him.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Only can our organization turn the hiring of George Karl into a PR disaster, yet that's what they've gone and done. It's just incompetence on numerous levels and while Karl should help and I'm going to hope he and Cuz get along, form a good working relationship and this team starts moving forward, Karl alone does not make up for the incompetence which still exists throughout the hallways of our FO.

The atrocious handling of this hiring shows just how far this organization still has to go and how much concern there still is. Karl will help alleviate a concern or two and should provide some much needed leadership and backbone but I wager we'll see a power struggle unfold over the next 6-12 months as the opposing factions within our FO won't simply dissipate due to Karl being here.

This should help us on the court, in the locker room, get players believing and buying in again and Karl will be able to check PDA and some of his nonsense. As for our FO and upper management, I'd say the battle behind close doors will continue and remain messy. One side won out here with Karl, another did not.

Now the leak will come out today and Corbin will still have to coach two games knowing that he is gone and the players knowing that as well. I might bet against the Kings in those games.
I don't see that at all.

I believe it's been pretty clear that the players have been deliberately losing to send a message to the FO and that they can play MUCH better than they have under Corbin - they've even turned it on a couple games when they wanted to.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they came out and played very well those last 2 games, to show that Tyrone was not the root problem. I think everyone likes Tyrone well enough - he just got in the middle of a fight between the FO laying down the law to Malone and disrespecting the players and causing a mutiny in the process.

If the players could help Corbin out with a couple'a more wins to sail away on (3 in a row), I think they would.

It's awkward that Corbin will coach the next two games knowing he's being replaced at the ASG break. I'm curious if he or other coaches will be let go as well (or remain through the season).

As far as a relationship between Karl and Cousins, remember that Karl had Gary Payton in Seattle (a character in his own right) and had pretty good success. I see this as a positive for Boogie's career.

I just feel bad for Tyrone Corbin, he is a good guy and professional. He knows that he wasn't the long-term answer from the very beginning and still handled everything as a professional. Now the leak will come out today and Corbin will still have to coach two games knowing that he is gone and the players knowing that as well. I might bet against the Kings in those games.
I don't understand all this Corbin sympathy. He was paid a lot of money to coach. He may be a very nice man and a professional, but although he came in under horrible circumstances, he still failed to step up and at least do an adequate job (if nothing else showcasing his skills for other teams). If I performed at his level of competence at my job I would be gone too.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Our FO had been terrible at these things from the start. Remember the botched pursuit of Iggy?

PDA is incompetent as hell. Vivek is a meddler who doesn't know what he is doing, but thinks he knows more than anyone, and Mullin just needs to go away.

Getting Karl is rad... but he's just a bandaid on the gaping abscess that is our FO.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Heh - I have free tix to go to the Feb 20th game already from work, so from the 6 games I attended this year I have (coincidentally) been to:

First game (home opener)
Malone's last game
Corbin's first game

plus 3 others. ALL LOSSES!

And now I will likely be at Karl's first game.

Just thought it was funny given how few I actually am able to attend.

Hopefully that streak changes with the Feb 20th game!

The sympathy for Corbin is simply that he had no chance, it's not that he failed, to fail implies that he had some control over the situation. The ownership fired a coach the players wanted to play for and replaced him with his assistant. It would be one thing if they replaced him for a bigger name at the time, I think things would have gone much better if they hired George Karl right away, in fact a lot of people assumed that would happen, it was the only thing that made sense. Then they told Corbin that the team needs to play at a faster pace which doesn't fit the players on this team and it doesn't fit Corbin's coaching style. Knowing that Corbin would be gone at the end of the year the players quit on him, they knew this year became a throwaway, they had nothing to play for. He just got stuck in the middle of a bad situation, hopefully he will get an assistant coaching job somewhere next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.