[Game] Kings @ Nuggets - 3/6/17 - 6PT/9ET

Wish this place were like reddit or 4chan??

Oh god no!!!
That's no holds barred "if you don't like it, leave you ****." I'm glad it's not like that here.

I'm at multiple sites and see a wide variety of moderating. The 49er sites are very liberal and where I got the ignore button from. Don't like a poster? Ignore. Done.
There is a certain Seahawks site that is ruled with an iron fist. The first mention of trashing the team or talking back to a mod is a lifetime ban.
The A's sites I frequent are liberal amongst our own but have zero tollerance for outside aggression.
You are right, I haven't been here very long. I don't know what this place was like before then so I'm just dealing from my own experience here. I'm merely stating how I feel because I like it here and I would hate to see the traffic start dropping.

Thanks for the explanation slim.

I thought this was a nice game for what we want. They young guys (sans Papagiannis) got some time with the Vets but the team just isn't very good. I really like Skal but I'm not real confident in any part of his game except for his jumper and his effort. I don't think he's ready for big minutes yet but his potential is really high. He has a ton of skill I just think the game is going a little too fast for him right now. I like Coach Joerger's approach with him.

This forum is far better than any other Kings board I've tried.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

Oh god no!!!
That's no holds barred "if you don't like it, leave you ****." I'm glad it's not like that here.

I'm at multiple sites and see a wide variety of moderating. The 49er sites are very liberal and where I got the ignore button from. Don't like a poster? Ignore. Done.
There is a certain Seahawks site that is ruled with an iron fist. The first mention of trashing the team or talking back to a mod is a lifetime ban.
The A's sites I frequent are liberal amongst our own but have zero tollerance for outside aggression.
You are right, I haven't been here very long. I don't know what this place was like before then so I'm just dealing from my own experience here. I'm merely stating how I feel because I like it here and I would hate to see the traffic start dropping.

I can empathize with your POV, up to a line. And the perception of over-moderation is a tough line to walk. The thing is, that which is often considered 'over-moderation' is most off-putting to posters who are closer to one extreme or the other. But what makes a message board great and lively is usually not the extremists, it's the moderates that tend to be put off from participating by the extremists.

It's a difficult balance, to be sure, but our preference as a staff is probably a tendency to 'over-moderate' to make the community more comfortable for the moderates. Every so often (more frequently in recent years, as all the losing has made the 'natives' restless), there is an outburst from posters who complain about the over-moderation but, from my POV, I find that the people who complain most loudly about the moderation tend to be people who are either incapable or unwilling to express their opinions reasonably. I bump heads with posters here on a daily basis, whom I don't feel the need to censor, or threaten to censor, and it isn't because I'm the temperate, easy-going mod (That would be @Warhawk, and even that's mostly a function of him being asleep on the job :p). It's because they can express themselves, and communicate an opinion that I disagree with, without being jackasses about it.

I guess, to some people, being told "Don't be a jackass" is akin to fascism, or something, but we really don't think that that's an unreasonable request.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I thought this was a nice game for what we want. They young guys (sans Papagiannis) got some time with the Vets but the team just isn't very good. I really like Skal but I'm not real confident in any part of his game except for his jumper and his effort. I don't think he's ready for big minutes yet but his potential is really high. He has a ton of skill I just think the game is going a little too fast for him right now. I like Coach Joerger's approach with him.

This forum is far better than any other Kings board I've tried.

And we thank you, for your support.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
[Mod Voice on]

This site has an ignore feature; it just doesn't have an ignore "button." And the ignore feature has never been considered the solution to trash behavior; this has always been a moderated message board, since the very beginning, and it's never been policy to allow anyone unrestricted access to pollute the message board, and then tell everyone who has a problem with it, "Well, just put him on ignore, if you don't like it!" The ignore feature was never meant to serve as some kind of S.E.P. field, so that the Duke Nukems and Hoggish Greedlys of the world could have a consequence-free space to spread their particular brand of "criticism".

And, you're also creating a false narrative: nobody was banned for being "harsh" on the team. But, I'll get back to that in a minute...

Your sense of the history of this message board is... incomplete. We've already had many of our best posters 'bail'. At least twice. They didn't go elsewhere, though, they just quit message boarding. There have already been multiple exoduses (Exodi? Whatever the word is...) from this message board, the most recent of which may have preceded your arrival here.

I can understand why somebody who joined in 2006 might think that how it was then was better, but those of us who were around before the crash, and remember how the board was before the last Great Schism (Webber trade) know differently: most of the grownups left the board after the last base breaker (read: before 2006), and the site became overrun by the type of loud, outspoken people who created the atmosphere that you seem to think of as "free flowing." Since then, it has been a never-ending fight against the current to regain equilibrium, and now we are faced with another Broken Base situation. And, just like before, the people who are leaving aren't the ones who are causing the problems, they aren't, for the most part, the loud, obnoxious ones. The people who are leaving are the more moderate, conflict-averse posters, whom don't want to read through hundreds of posts trashing the players and/or the coach and/or management, and/or ownership, and/or other posters, but aren't willing to complain about it out loud, or don't want to enter the fray and "fight back," simply because they don't think that the juice is worth the squeeze on that particular exercise. Why fight, when you can walk away, you know?

It seems like people who wish that KingsFans.com were more "free flowing," would prefer if this place were more like Reddit, or 4Chan. But, we've never been like that, and we've never wanted to be like that. The problem isn't that the board is too "squeaky clean," the problem is that the more moderate adults, people who knew how to be critical without being jerks, were run off by the ALL-CAPS-WALL-OF-TEXT types. If you don't know how, or are otherwise unwilling to be "harsh," without going on virulent text screeds, this is probably not the place for you. So, a few of those types get run out the paint... that's not a great loss. And, if we run a few more of them out the paint, that is not going to make this a worse place to be, in the long run.

[Mod Voice off]
Well put, mate. I consider myself "conflict averse." These people who want a conflict seem more interested in winning their own particular battles than contributing to a discussion about the Kings. Even in the real world, conflicts are not solved by yelling. You may chase off your opponent but that is not a win. To the forum, it is a loss.

Make no mistake about it, this forum has always been family friendly. I have been here since 2000 (actually 1995 in a different iteration of KF.com - Telemachus and Fireplug were there, also) and in the first half decade or so I felt very responsible for setting a tone of discussion. I have always tried to defuse anger and for some people, the intervention worked and for others, they continued on their pathway of nastiness. Some who I have thought to be a problem actually have turned out to be valued members of MY idea of KF.com. Fortunately along came VF21, Bricklayer, and Mr. S£im Citrus and my leadership role was no longer necessary. Other people created other well liked roles. Most of these latter are gone and I miss them.

I would rather this forum lose a few loose cannons than some more thoughtful and probably older members.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I can empathize with your POV, up to a line. And the perception of over-moderation is a tough line to walk. The thing is, that which is often considered 'over-moderation' is most off-putting to posters who are closer to one extreme or the other. But what makes a message board great and lively is usually not the extremists, it's the moderates that tend to be put off from participating by the extremists.

It's a difficult balance, to be sure, but our preference as a staff is probably a tendency to 'over-moderate' to make the community more comfortable for the moderates. Every so often (more frequently in recent years, as all the losing has made the 'natives' restless), there is an outburst from posters who complain about the over-moderation but, from my POV, I find that the people who complain most loudly about the moderation tend to be people who are either incapable or unwilling to express their opinions reasonably. I bump heads with posters here on a daily basis, whom I don't feel the need to censor, or threaten to censor, and it isn't because I'm the temperate, easy-going mod (That would be @Warhawk, and even that's mostly a function of him being asleep on the job :p). It's because they can express themselves, and communicate an opinion that I disagree with, without being jackasses about it.

I guess, to some people, being told "Don't be a jackass" is akin to fascism, or something, but we really don't think that that's an unreasonable request.
This "over moderation" was a conscious decision of the leadership in the early years. It was a conscious decision to make a mistake in the firm way than in the "let it fly" way. Poor English, granted.

Good modding, swabbie.

Oh god no!!!

If you want to ignore someone, click on them to bring up their profile. There will be the option to ignore under their Avitar on the right hand side.

At this point it's reactive energy to the "I'm spiteful Cousins got traded so I'll bash the team" crew, as they are entitled to their views of course. It's up to the individual to read them, no use talking about it for me

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
At this point it's reactive energy to the "I'm spiteful Cousins got traded so I'll bash the team" crew, as they are entitled to their views of course. It's up to the individual to read them, no use talking about it for me

If you're making the argument that both sides of this schism have been equally egregious, I'm going to say that I disagree. I'm not even going to agree to disagree; I'll just say 'I disagree', and keep it moving.

If you're making the argument that both sides of this schism have been equally egregious, I'm going to say that I disagree. I'm not even going to agree to disagree; I'll just say 'I disagree', and keep it moving.
I swear I don't know which side you're indicting. I've seen it bad on both sides. "Cuz Supporter - Vlade has ruined everything" has been the predominant personality on this board and since the trade some of those people have called anyone who disagreed with them "crazy, stupid" etc with impunity.

Are you saying it is the other way around?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I swear I don't know which side you're indicting. I've seen it bad on both sides. "Cuz Supporter - Vlade has ruined everything" has been the predominant personality on this board and since the trade some of those people have called anyone who disagreed with them "crazy, stupid" etc with impunity.

Are you saying it is the other way around?
I don't know about Slim, but I think it's the other way around. But I also think it's a divisive topic that won't really be resolved... It's way too easy to try and lump people into a couple of convenient categories. I do not agree the predominant opinion has been in support of Cousins and bashing Vlade. If anything, it's those who are glad Cousins is gone but think Vlade got way too little in the deal. At this point, though, what difference does it make which side is predominant if ALL sides need to just take a deep breath and exhale.