[Game] Kings @ Nuggets - 3/6/17 - 6PT/9ET

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh boy! The second game of a back-to-back played at altitude! And after a overtime game to boot. Gotta love the guys who figure out these schedules. /endsnark

Heart, hustle, energy and effort...and WCS to do better from the line. That's all I'm asking.

If they play hard and still lose, then it seems everybody should be happy. At least they're learning some lessons.

#GoKings

SLAB

Hall of Famer
This team is weird... So no predictions. No Wild statements. No hyperbole today.

I just want to see the kids get proper minutes. The Jazz game was painful.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This team is weird... So no predictions. No Wild statements. No hyperbole today.

I just want to see the kids get proper minutes. The Jazz game was painful.
The kids should get the minutes they deserve AGAINST comparable players, not the opposing team starters. Hey, I have an idea. Can we NOT turn this game thread into yet another endless tanking debate?

I know it's tough for some of you to understand, but there are those of us who want to enjoy the game in the moment. We want to watch heart, hustle, energy and effort. We want to be able to cheer for the team we've loved for over 30 years. It seems like, of all the threads on the board, the game thread ought to be the appropriate venue for such cheering. I honestly don't think it's asking too much.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The Kings are 2-0 vs. the Nuggets so far? At some point they'll be looking for payback. This might be that night, although stranger things have already happened. Those of you wanting the kids to play might see some more of it tomorrow. 2nd day, back to back, lots of vet minutes in the prior game...

I'll be curious to see how WCS deals with Jokic.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PLEASE NOTE: Okay, here's the deal. You tank proponents can have virtually every other thread if you so choose. But, going forward, the game thread is gonna be about the game not the future, not the draft, not tanking. It seems a reasonable request/solution. Thanks all...

Last edited:
I am OK with Coach Joerger starting the Vets. I do hope he starts subbing out the vets for the Young Fellas around the 6 minute mark of the first quarter. My reasoning is then the Rooks get a taste of playing with and against starters for a couple of minutes.

IMO this gives a nice change of pace in the lineup. Keeps the Fellas fresh and better able to play aggressive swarming defense.

I loved Joerger's comment about minutes for the Rookies during the Jazz post game. He said the 2 minutes Skal got in a close game against stiff competition is more valuable than the complete Summer League season:eek: I agree as it matters less what Skal can do against lesser players. But 2 minutes facing the Stifle Tower is motivation for the weight room and skills development.

Last edited:
Hopefully Grant stops complaining about the refs so much this game. He complained a lot in the Jazz game. Ruined the Kings experience for everyone and cost the Kings the game by constantly griping about the officials before getting back to his play by play duties. Get your head in the game Grant. Culture is #1.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/mav...y-mavs-seem-to-have-real-potential-for-future

There is a good quote from Seth Curry here. He says last year the Kings threw a bunch of young guys out there at the end of the season and there is no meaning to it. Its just every guy out there for themselves. We have a coach who will be here long term, hopefully like Charlisle in Dallas. Theres a system and its more valuable for young players to be a competent part of the system than to just say F it just throw all the young guys out there even if they arent ready for it. Make the young guys earn it, they are still learning a ton from practice, D league, and watching the games in terms of how they can fit in to our system moving forward. The "system" isnt just X's and O's but mostly the culture of playing hard and competing every night, playing hard on the defensive end and moving the ball and making the right play. Its very much what the Jazz have built. I think if this team becomes good its gonna be with the Jazz model.

This is what Vlade signed up for when he traded Cousins. Puts the fanbase in a tough position. Sac needs these two lottery picks. The trade was moronic. Losing their pick would be a disaster. It's a tough position for fans to be in.
Not a disaster. We have 15 players now. They are our most important part of our future. I predict we get one or two interesting players, no matter where we draft or how many we get to draft. We have a game tonight in Denver.

The team looked pretty good last night against a top tier team. I think we can come out with the win

Also is it me or does Willie get scored on a lot in the post? I've been noticing that every time I watch the kings play

With Afflalo back, it looks like Ben McLemore has been nailed to the bench. Buddy looks really good at SG, turnover issues aside. With Bogdanovic coming over next season, Malachi developing in the background, and Ben's inability to defend bigger SFs, there may not be a place on this team for him anymore. Too bad, he was playing well.

The team looked pretty good last night against a top tier team. I think we can come out with the win

Also is it me or does Willie get scored on a lot in the post? I've been noticing that every time I watch the kings play
The big question is whether he is a PF or a C. If he's playing center he may not have quite the body yet to bang with everyone

With Afflalo back, it looks like Ben McLemore has been nailed to the bench. Buddy looks really good at SG, turnover issues aside. With Bogdanovic coming over next season, Malachi developing in the background, and Ben's inability to defend bigger SFs, there may not be a place on this team for him anymore. Too bad, he was playing well.
Which isn't the way it's supposed to be. Sub par vets preventing us from taking a full look at our future

Still a 15% Ben can round out, yet we won't know before restricted FA?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm not unhappy about Temple sitting. I want his hammy nice and healthy and all, and just coincidentally it might free up some time for Skal and Buddy. Not that I'm routing for a loss to enhance our draft position. Wouldn't dream of it.:p

I trust Joerger, he is by far the most competent basketball mind in that building. Yes I did not like the minutes distribution yesterday but I'm not with those guys at practice and shootarounds. We looked totally disorganized in those two games the kids played, they were making simple mistakes all over, at any level that gets you benched.

I like his philosophy of you have to earn your minutes, we still lost which is the ultimate goal for right now. But Joerger showed those young guys what they are capable of and beyond with that display of organized defense and offense, talent didnt matter last night we were the more organized team and almost squeezed out a win.

I expect the kids minutes to increase some but please everyone let Joerger do his thing, half of his coaching career was developing players in the CBA and he had a hand in the development of Conley and Gasol.

We are pretty lucky to have a coach like Joerger if we had any resemblance of a talented roster we would be in the playoffs. He can gameplan to compete with and beat anybody.

Lets just let Joerger do his thing, He is bringing Willie and Malachi along nicely and Buddy and Skal have shown some flashes, these things take time.

I trust Joerger, he is by far the most competent basketball mind in that building. Yes I did not like the minutes distribution yesterday but I'm not with those guys at practice and shootarounds. We looked totally disorganized in those two games the kids played, they were making simple mistakes all over, at any level that gets you benched.

I like his philosophy of you have to earn your minutes, we still lost which is the ultimate goal for right now. But Joerger showed those young guys what they are capable of and beyond with that display of organized defense and offense, talent didnt matter last night we were the more organized team and almost squeezed out a win.

I expect the kids minutes to increase some but please everyone let Joerger do his thing, half of his coaching career was developing players in the CBA and he had a hand in the development of Conley and Gasol.

We are pretty lucky to have a coach like Joerger if we had any resemblance of a talented roster we would be in the playoffs. He can gameplan to compete with and beat anybody.

Lets just let Joerger do his thing, He is bringing Willie and Malachi along nicely and Buddy and Skal have shown some flashes, these things take time.
Exactly. I think Joerger is on the right track. WCS has looked better in the last 2 months than I ever thought he would. Also Richardson has exceeded expectations. Hield and Skal will most likely develop similarly. Both have showed tremendous potential. No reason to rush anything. You don't want to give a young guy with poor flaws heavy burn right out of the gate. That's how guys end up with poor habits that they never shake.

However the Nuggets are horrible at guarding the 3. I'd expect for Hield to get more minutes this game to try and exploit this.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Im not going to start favoring my own moral bias of wanting wins over the more practical need for lins. Whats important at this point is that we get the best draft pick possible.
And nobody is asking you to. All I'm saying is that the GAME THREAD is off-limits for discussion of tanking.

G

glassman

Oh boy! The second game of a back-to-back played at altitude! And after a overtime game to boot. Gotta love the guys who figure out these schedules. /endsnark

Heart, hustle, energy and effort...and WCS to do better from the line. That's all I'm asking.

If they play hard and still lose, then it seems everybody should be happy. At least they're learning some lessons.

#GoKings
heart, hustle, and a bunch of vets that won't be here next year... that are playing for big pay days to go somewhere else!!!!!!! Yes Joerger!!!

Can't wait to see all of Affalos mins!!!!