Kings Notes: Kings will play only one of first 6 games at home

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11201154p-12116928c.html

Kings Notes: Kings will play only one of first 6 games at home

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, October 24, 2004

It's too bad the Kings are flying charters throughout the exhibition season. Had they been flying commercially, it would have been a frequent-flyer extravaganza.

Including their trip to China to meet the Houston Rockets, the quick flight to Fresno, Friday night's jaunt to Salt Lake City and this week's game in Dallas, the Kings will have flown 16,952 miles just during the preseason.

Sacramento returns to Texas to open the regular season with games against the Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs and Rockets. The Kings come home to play Toronto in their Arco Arena opener Nov. 9 before traveling to Seattle and Phoenix to conclude five of their first six games on the road.

The Kings have not opened the season on the road since the 2000-01 season.

Five of six may sound somewhat treacherous but doesn't compare to a stretch surrounding the NBA All-Star Game when the Kings play in Boston, Chicago and New Jersey before the league's midseason contest. They return home to play Atlanta on Feb. 22 on the Tuesday following the All-Star Game and then go on a six-game, 11-day road trip through Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington, Charlotte, Orlando and Miami.

Maloofs receive Pro Team Award - Joe and Gavin Maloof received the 2004 Pro Team Community Award from the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame before Saturday night's game against the New Orleans Hornets.

The award was initiated in 1995 to recognize pro sports organizations that are active members of their communities and act as catalysts for community pride and support.

Organizations are judged on community acceptance and participation, program effectiveness, creativity and the use of volunteers, players and staff members.

Saturday night's game also marked the family's annual dedication of a preseason game known as the George J. Maloof Community Cup in honor of their late patriarch. A portion of the game proceeds will go to the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacramento Restoration Project.

You know what?

I think that's good news. especially when the Kings are going on the Texas road trip at the beginning of the season.

It will show if theres or not a good chemistry. However a bad start could tear the team apart. But I don't believe in it cuz guys have been playing with each other for years and look who they take on. San Antonio is getting beat pretty much by every team right now. Houston is not that big of a deal and Dallas is struggling to get its pace back.

For sure Kings have to be ready...

I think a GREAT start to the season would be 3-3. Especially having Doug and Tag out...with these rooks and younger guys playing in place of them is like a lamb to the slaughter...we'll have to see how much Martin has learned in camp, he's gonna be playing alot.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Circa_1985_Fan said:
I think a GREAT start to the season would be 3-3. Especially having Doug and Tag out...with these rooks and younger guys playing in place of them is like a lamb to the slaughter...we'll have to see how much Martin has learned in camp, he's gonna be playing alot.
I agree. Considering the injuries to key players and having to play Rooks a lot of minutes, I would have no problem starting out the season at 3-3. In fact, 2-4 would not be all that bad. The Kings have not started that great the past couple of years anyway, so it would be nothing new. Of course, given my choice, I want a 4-2 start (or better). :p

I agree, 3-3 would be very solid and 2-4 understandable. Not that realism will mute the calls of: "FIRE ADELMAN!"

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
NME said:
I agree, 3-3 would be very solid and 2-4 understandable. Not that realism will mute the calls of: "FIRE ADELMAN!"
It's quotes like this that make me wish the board's software allowed for a datestamp on quotes; I have a feeling it's going to be recycled in about two weeks.