Kings notes: Former Kings draft pick finds time with Hornets

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11823995p-12711873c.html

Kings notes: Former Kings draft pick finds time with Hornets

By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Monday, December 20, 2004

He never hopped on a plane bound for Sacramento, let alone donned a purple-and-white jersey. But before New Orleans Hornets guard Dan Dickau became the NBA's leading vagabond, he was - for a few blinks - a King.

Dickau, the Gonzaga product whose contract has been the property of six teams in less than three seasons, was drafted 28th overall by the Kings in 2002.

He could have fit in well, coming in under the radar to run the floor or utilize his sharp outside shot. Instead, Dickau - a 6-foot, 190-pounder who looks more like a paperboy than an NBA player - was sent to Atlanta in exchange for a future first-round pick, which the Kings gave to Detroit to settle an old debt.

"Had I come here, it would've been a chance to learn under some pretty experienced guys," said Dickau, who led Gonzaga to the NCAA Tournament. "I could've learned from (Mike) Bibby, Bobby Jackson and (Doug) Christie, guys who play the right way."

Now Dickau may be the only one "happy" about the injury bug that has bitten the Hornets this season. Before he was traded to New Orleans from Dallas on Dec. 3, Dickau had appeared in just 98 games, averaging 8.5 minutes on the rare times he hit the floor. With the Hornets, he's averaged 12.3 points, 2.5 assists and 23.2 minutes in nine games. Against the Kings, he helped the Hornets take a 27-24 lead in the first quarter, scoring eight of his 14 points early in the Kings' 107-71 win.

"Now I'm getting a chance ... to get in a rhythm and not worry about missing one shot or having one turnover," Dickau said.

Playing Santa - Chris Webber was the surprise guest at a holiday party Saturday, spending four hours at Grant High School playing Santa for 200 at-risk kids. Each one sat on Webber's famous left knee for pictures, from 2-year-olds who looked like Beanie Babies in his lap to 18-year-olds who squeezed him aside for chair space.

Webber's appearance was a secret to guests until his voice was heard via speakers as the children waited. He gave his best "ho-ho-ho" from a back room, then came out with a Santa Claus hat atop his head.

"I love doing this," Webber said. "Anything to make the kids smile makes me smile. It's a blessing."

The Kings forward sat out against the Hornets. It was the second time in two weeks Webber rested against a lesser foe, the other coming Dec. 7 against the Charlotte Bobcats.

Homesick holiday - Kings guard Kevin Martin was sick in a bad way a few days ago. He is recovering.

Fellow rookie Erik Daniels diagnosed him with "West African kissing virus," but it was more likely homesickness that hit him alongside a touch of the flu.

In his three college years at Western Carolina, Martin said, he always had time to head home to Zanesville, Ohio, for a few days around Christmas. Not so in the NBA, where he won't be home for the holidays. To keep him company, Martin's father, Kevin Sr., and his cousin, Brody, have been staying with him.

"My dad has time off, because he's a landscaper and there's not much going on (in the winter)," Martin said. "So that's been nice. It's an adjustment."

Martin was too sick to play Sunday in the one-sided win over the Hornets.

Bouncing back - From blown out to blowout, the Kings responded to the 115-99 loss to the Lakers on Thursday that was their worst at home in more than six years. The 36-point win Sunday over New Orleans was the Kings' biggest this season by 10 points . The Hornets' 71 points were the fewest by a Kings opponent since Nov. 14, 2003, a 94-64 win over Toronto.
----------------------------------

ahhhh.. so that's why webb's knee was sore ;) hehe

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
And they both played last night. Which tells you everything you need to know about the status of that franchise. If they can just get their hands on Jabari and Jerome James ethey will just about have the market cornered on Kings 2nd round pick super-scrubs.

Bricklayer said:
And they both played last night. Which tells you everything you need to know about the status of that franchise. If they can just get their hands on Jabari and Jerome James ethey will just about have the market cornered on Kings 2nd round pick super-scrubs.
You can't forget about Jason Sasser now.