Kings' No. 1 draft choice can't wait for preseason

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11029375p-11946297c.html

Kings' No. 1 draft choice can't wait for preseason

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, October 9, 2004

Kevin Martin knows he's venturing into uncharted territory.

In fact, he can't wait.

The Kings' No. 1 draft choice has gotten through summer league and training camp, but what he's really looking forward to is the preseason schedule.

Martin is consistently looking to prove himself. He has either been too short or too skinny or attended a school too small - or any other negative one can find to suggest that he will not succeed in this game.

However, Martin not only has succeeded, he has excelled. How far he can take it is unknown, but he's confident enough to look forward to the opportunities. And after the Kings' eight preseason games, fans should have an even clearer idea of what the former Western Carolina star can do.

For instance, Sacramento's first four games are against Golden State, Houston (two) and the Los Angeles Lakers.

That'll give Martin, a guard, an opportunity to go against Jason Richardson, Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant, respectively.

Assistant coach Elston Turner said Martin will get his chances.

"You've got to get introduced to the league," Turner said. "You might as well start off with the best."

And Martin knows he has much to prove still and whom he has to impress.

"The preseason is going to be big for me," said Martin, the nation's second-leading men's Division I scorer in 2003-04 at 24.9 points per game. "We thought the summer league was going to be big, and I got through that. Now, we're pretty much through training camp. In the preseason, I've got to prove to Rick Adelman I can play against people like Jason Richardson and Tracy McGrady."

Martin is surprisingly quick at 6-foot-7. He gets to the basket with apparent ease against most defenders and also is capable of scoring from the perimeter. Most observers knew Martin could score, but Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie has been impressed by another phase of his game.

"Defensively, he's been staying in front of people," Petrie said of Martin. "When you're a guy who can score like he can, the question marks are usually in the other parts of your game. But he goes after rebounds and can get to the offensive boards."

Meanwhile, Martin also has to deal with life's basics.

An Ohio native who went to school in North Carolina, he was somewhat surprised to find out how expensive housing is in California.

"I've been out here for two weeks and stayed in the (team) hotel," Martin said. "But I just purchased a home in Natomas. It won't be ready until December, though. So I'll be in an apartment until then."

Martin said the most difficult part of training camp has been dealing with the all-knowing veterans.

"Our vets have been together in this system so long," he said, "they kind of just flow on instinct. So when I'm out there with four vets, I'm waiting for the offensive call that never comes. So that's an adjustment. But I've found if I just keep moving, I'm all right."

Petrie said Martin has fit in at this point.

"He's certainly played like he belongs," Petrie said. "He's got great quickness. And he's explosive, too. He's got a pretty good feel for the game, when to cut and where to cut. As he gains experience, I think it's going to be interesting to see where he goes."

A

AriesMar27

I hope that he hits the gym this season.... he's not too short, but he is definitley too skinny.

i can't wait to see kevin play!!!! this is going to be awesome!!!! OMG the season is finally coming I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( that was a Looooooong summer!!!! ) :D

GO K-MART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!