[Game] Kings @ Mavericks - Friday, Oct. 20 - 5:30PT

Z-Bo would have to improve significantly to be average.

Look, there is some value to being an "offensive hub" dumping the ball into the post and running action off that, so that is something.

But 13 points of 15 shots is not a winning formula, it is a losing formula. 21 points on 12 shots from Hill made up for that.

And even that would not have been good enough if we were not playing a depleted team, probably worst in NBA

Z-Bo is a placeholder until Skal is ready to take over.

My concern is Joerger has sentimentality where Z-Bo is concerned and sees a player he no longer is.
They won!:D

Kings should've blown out the Mavericks, but they let 'em hang around. Sure they will take the win though. Mavericks were putrid aside from Barnes and Berraera. Nowitzki should just hang it up.

Joerger is refusing to play Mason which irks. They could've used Mason's offensive skills with Fox having a poor shooting night.
The 2nd unit looked horrible in the 4th quarter giving up their 11 pt cushion they'd built in the 3rd.

No more bounce passes to Koufos period.
They won!:D

I think you overestimate the grand scheme here. I highly doubt the plan is for ZBo to be playing this many minutes by the end of the season....or even starting for that matter.
Where did I "overestimate the grand scheme"? My concern is Z-Bo is featured too prominently because of Joerger's affinity for vets and sentimentality towards a 36 year old with a 51% TS last season. Tonight his TS% was less than 50%. I am cool with him getting 10-15 MPG but playing 30 minutes as a starter? It won't work. Now if Z-Bo discovers the fountain of youth and becomes an efficient low post threat to make up for fact he has "cement shoes" on defense then his MPG can be reconsidered.

I like to look at the macro AND micro-view. The micro is beautiful and rosy with the sweet road win. The macro is encouraging on a few fronts with Fox and Willie over two games showing incremental strides and Jackson "hanging in there" but it is concerning if the minute distribution is Skal 13 MPG and Z-Bo 30 MPG or thereabouts. I would like to see those minutes flipped. If Joerger "rides and dies" with Z-Bo to the tune of 30 MPG, I guarantee you he will turn into this year's "Affalo" or "Marco" the guy fans are howling about, a gunner who plays no D, cannot rebound out f his area and grinds the offense to a halt.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Where did I "overestimate the grand scheme"? My concern is Z-Bo is featured too prominently because of Joerger's affinity for vets and sentimentality towards a 36 year old with a 51% TS last season. Tonight his TS% was less than 50%. I am cool with him getting 10-15 MPG but playing 30 minutes as a starter? It won't work. Now if Z-Bo discovers the fountain of youth and becomes an efficient low post threat to make up for fact he has "cement shoes" on defense then his MPG can be reconsidered.

I like to look at the macro AND micro-view. The micro is beautiful and rosy with the sweet road win. The macro is encouraging on a few fronts with Fox and Willie over two games showing incremental strides and Jackson "hanging in there" but it is concerning if the minute distribution is Skal 13 MPG and Z-Bo 30 MPG or thereabouts. I would like to see those minutes flipped. If Joerger "rides and dies" with Z-Bo to the tune of 30 MPG, I guarantee you he will turn into this year's "Affalo" or "Marco" the guy fans are howling about, a gunner who plays no D, cannot rebound out f his area and grinds the offense to a halt.
We’re two games into the season. Slow your roll

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
We need Zach because he gets double teamed, and if he doesn't, he gets close enough to the basket to get a quality shot or free throws, he was also the best rebounding player in the nba off the bench last year. The rest of the team is still quite soft and plays on the perimeter a little too much

Last edited:
We need Zach because He gets double teamed and if he doesn't, he gets close enough to the basket to get a quality shot. The rest of the team is still quite soft and plays on the perimeter a little too much
We 100% need him.

There are times you need to get a good shot off. He & Hill are the most reliable make a basket when it counts people on the team. Buddy is good when fed if that doesn't work out right away, but yeah.

We were spoiled with Cousins for awhile. A past his prime Zach isn't ideal, but best we got in many ways.

We need Zach because He gets double teamed and if he doesn't, he gets close enough to the basket to get a quality shot. The rest of the team is still quite soft and plays on the perimeter a little too much
Exactly people get way to caught up in FG% TS% , Zach gives the team direction in particular when we don't have Fox out there to breakdown the D.

The macro view you can look at with Z-bo playing and vets getting minutes, especially down the stretch, is that the franchise is being taught how to win.

I love Skal, but I also like his confidence being built up. We've seen too many young players spirits get crushed in the past because they HAVE to come out The gate performing like an all star in order to help The franchise. The ability to let Fox run around and figure out how to use his speed with no pressure, and then have Hill stabilize and close out the game is perfect.

We're 2 games in. If Skal continues to play like he's been, his minutes will increase over time.

I like Fox's attitude so far. He was very confident on the floor in both games. He is not one of the rookies who dissappear after one missed shoot (because they don't want to ruin things), he has high self-confidence, and teammates and coach trust him too. He is not affraid to attack the basket and shoot or pass, and at the same time, his almost every move is smart one. He is also definitely not one of the rookies who takes 3 bad shoots after first miss. I hope he will continue doing the same...

We’re two games into the season. Slow your roll
I think the issue is those looking at the near term, a win, versus those looking at the longer term.

The minute distribution will be a concern if it continues but best to wait a few games and see how it goes. DJ may well be giving one or the other extended minutes on a back to back to fully get into the flow of the game.

Was hoping for one more top 5 pick but not sure that happens this year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's Dave unfortunately. He's one of the worst offensive coaches in terms of scoring tallies, but he brings good defense, which is great for the youth we have to develop.
Joerger's teams have one of the highest scoring marks out of a timeout in the NBA. Joerger is a very good offensive coach. Unfortunately, he's doesn't get to go out onto the floor and run the plays, the players have to do that. Just what do you expect from a team that has ten players that are all on baby formula. It's going to take time.

Well it is like you can't see the forest because of the tree. Focusing on what is happening in one game can lead to hypothesis on limited data. Lets see what happens tonight and into the next ten games. Really for me the 40 game mark is going to be a time to reflect on how the team is building. Hopefully by then the minute distribution you describe is what we see:)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
In the scope of a season or long term you need to be developing a decent offense too...holding teams under 90 is great and all, and shows good defense, but it simply isn't going to work like that every night unless you're a GOAT defensive team. Scoring less than 90 isn't a viable enough offense plain and simple. So we need to score more hopefully after a few more games to show signs of a decent offense too.

Unless we are really a GOAT defensive team than forget everything I said.
Really? A few games? It's going to take half a year or more before this team starts to resemble anything close to a well oiled machine. There are no shortcuts to building a winning franchise. It takes time! It's easier when you have a team full of veterans who have years of NBA experience, many of whom may have played together before, to get them all on the same page. But with a team full of players that are still trying to figure out where their lockers are, not so easy. Were relying on seasoned veterans like Buddy Hield in his 2nd year in the NBA to lead the charge. Defense won that game for us, and kept us in the Houston game. We should be praising that, and hoping that it continues.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well it is like you can't see the forest because of the tree. Focusing on what is happening in one game can lead to hypothesis on limited data. Lets see what happens tonight and into the next ten games. Really for me the 40 game mark is going to be a time to reflect on how the team is building. Hopefully by then the minute distribution you describe is what we see:)
Yeah, your spot on. Personally, I put very little value on these first two games as far as making any judgments. I think after 20 or so games, we should be able to detect a trend, or some semblance of an idenity. Doesn't mean I don't like some of the things I've seen, but that I don't trust them to continue just yet.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Okay, I will reluctantly agree that there are a lot of times when it appears his hands have turned into granite mittens.
While I can't disagree with those who are criticizing Kosta, I think we do have to take his plight into consideration. As I pointed out after the Houston game, Kosta is a post player, and offensively, an opportunistic iso player. His strength is to just take what comes his way. His strength is not standing out in the high post and handling the ball. I think I used the team, a fish out of water. Unfortunately that's the offense the Kings are running, and I suspect that at some point, his minutes will decrease if he continues to struggle out there.

I will admit that I was surprised that Joerger rode him as long as he did last night, but then I remembered that they had to play again the next day at high altitude, so maybe Joerger was trying to give Willie a little more rest.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Stats aren't everything, but ball movement is. I'm probably the biggest Zbo fan on the board, but I don't want iso Zbo over half the time he gets the ball. Our team benefits off ball movement.

That's on Dave, he has a crush on Zbo because of Memphis and I was worried about that, setting him up for an iso to close the game was pure nostalgia on Dave's part especially when the rest of the team had it going.
Look, no one likes ball and player movement more than I do, but the Kings signed Randolph, and he's going to play, So what do you want Joerger to do with a player whose entire game is based on isolation offense. Randolph was simply doing what Randolph does, and will continue to do as long as he's a King. You, I, or anyone else complaining about isn't going to change that. I think Joerger had him in at the end of the game because he understands the offense, and is less likely to make a mistake with the game on the line. Plus they had a mismatch with Barnes guarding him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'll say it again, Garrett Temple is severely underrated. How many big defensive plays has he already had? He really has a knack for poking the ball loose. Him and Fox are pretty darn good defensively on the perimeter, Hill, JJ, Hield are doing well.
I've always wondered how a player, who just about everyone in the NBA, or attached to the NBA in some fashion, calls underrated, can still be underrated. Seems like an oxymoron to me. Seems to me, that if everyone in the world acknowledges that's he's underrated, then he's no longer underrated. :rolleyes:

I'm going to research that, but so far as I can see, when you score more points than the other team, you win! They may have changed the rules, so I'll double check that.:rolleyes:
No no, do not change the topic.
It is easy to decide who wins if they score more point. But what happens when you make opponents score less points? Completely different :p

Seemed to me like we were tentative for long stretches last night which kept the Mavs in the game. I think this is just guys getting used to each other still and it will probably happen a few times here early in the season while guys are learning how to work together. I was really impressed that despite the struggles the guys kept working and grinding. It wasn't pretty but they figured it out, even with all that youth getting significant minutes.