[Game] Kings @ Mavericks - Friday, Oct. 20 - 5:30PT

Not a fan of Randolph being our "Go To Guy" he is average at best these days. I mean it's Harrison Barnes
Z-Bo would have to improve significantly to be average.

Look, there is some value to being an "offensive hub" dumping the ball into the post and running action off that, so that is something.

But 13 points of 15 shots is not a winning formula, it is a losing formula. 21 points on 12 shots from Hill made up for that.

And even that would not have been good enough if we were not playing a depleted team, probably worst in NBA

Z-Bo is a placeholder until Skal is ready to take over.

My concern is Joerger has sentimentality where Z-Bo is concerned and sees a player he no longer is.

That's a good point. We're playing Denver tomorrow on the second night of a back-to-back at altitude. Never a good thing, so having rested kids could pay dividends.
Plus Zach's first game.

I think Joerger played Randolph more tonight because of the back to back in the high altitude. Bet Skal is mid twenties in minutes and Zach in the upper teens in Denver.

Look, there is some value to being an "offensive hub" dumping the ball into the post and running action off that, so that is something.

But 13 points of 15 shots is not a winning formula, it is a losing formula. 21 points on 12 shots from Hill made up for that. A

nd even that would not have been good enough if we were not playing a depleted team, probably worst in NBA

My concern is Joerger has sentimentality where Z-Bo is concerned and sees a player he no longer is.
Randolph’s impact tonight goes far beyond whatever his shooting percentage was. Same goes for Fox

I guess Fox is already over the hill and shouldn’t play much either? Come on guys. Stats aren’t everything

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Further? I guess for me I just want a moment to savor the win. It's my optimism showing through. I've always thought the game thread should celebrate the game and the grade thread should have the criticisms and analytics. Of course, admittedly there hasn't been that much to celebrate in game threads over the past decade or so. :p

Yes, some were moaning. You may not agree but that's not gonna change my perception. I'd just like to see one year where people didn't feel the need to find a player to aim all their vitriol at. He's not pathetic and he's nowhere near as bad as some would have you think. But, as always, there has to be someone to be on the receiving end of the hate.
You can call it hate. I call it brutal honesty. I think Koufos is a great guy but that doesn't mean he's good at basketball.

Yes, some were moaning. You may not agree but that's not gonna change my perception. I'd just like to see one year where people didn't feel the need to find a player to aim all their vitriol at. He's not pathetic and he's nowhere near as bad as some would have you think. But, as always, there has to be someone to be on the receiving end of the hate.
But he DOES have hands of stone...

But 13 points of 15 shots is not a winning formula, it is a losing formula. 21 points on 12 shots from Hill made up for that.

And even that would not have been good enough if we were not playing a depleted team, probably worst in NBA

I think you overestimate the grand scheme here. I highly doubt the plan is for ZBo to be playing this many minutes by the end of the season....or even starting for that matter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You can call it hate. I call it brutal honesty. I think Koufos is a great guy but that doesn't mean he's good at basketball.
Brutal? Yes. Honesty? Depends. I've been around here long enough to know that some hide behind the "brutal honesty" curtain as a means to post vitriolic comments about various players. You've been here since 2014. I've been here since 2001. I think I may have the better POV in that regard.

Okay, I will reluctantly agree that there are a lot of times when it appears his hands have turned into granite mittens.
Don't be reluctant lol. You watched Webb, Cuz, even Vlade all corral passes anywhere in their vicinity. Koufus is playing handball. Reminds me of JT. I like the guy, I think he is serciceable, but at this point Im curious if Big P might be a better option. Be curious to see.

Kings should've blown out the Mavericks, but they let 'em hang around. Sure they will take the win though. Mavericks were putrid aside from Barnes and Berraera. Nowitzki should just hang it up.

Joerger is refusing to play Mason which irks. They could've used Mason's offensive skills with Fox having a poor shooting night.
The 2nd unit looked horrible in the 4th quarter giving up their 11 pt cushion they'd built in the 3rd.

No more bounce passes to Koufos period.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I went to Dallas-Mavs.com to see if they had any comments about Fox. These are excerpts from their game thread. See for yourself:

Skywalker 10-20-2017 07:14 AM
GDT Game 2: Kings (0-1) at Mavs (0-1) 10/20/2017 07:30 PM CST FSSW
Easy W tbh. You can thank me later

tap2390 10-20-2017 11:30 AM
I assume no Harris (his brother died in a crash yesterday) or Curry today.

CGM 10-20-2017 02:28 PM
Tonight, Lottery Pick #9 destroys Lottery Pick # 5... so Mavs win by 9....

Mavs - 109
Queens - 100

Underdog 10-20-2017 07:15 PM
Dennis Smith Jr is out for the next two games with a knee injury
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2017/1...-mavericks-nba

Skywalker 10-20-2017 07:16 PM
Well I guess I'm done with GDTs for the season

FreshJive 10-20-2017 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog (Post 1424764)
Gdamnit these m***** f******. If it’s two games then they knew this morning he wasn’t playing tonight. Either the Mavs suck at giving out info, or the beat reporters are ass.

EricaLubarsky 10-20-2017 08:58 PM
We’re comedicaly bad

Bryan_Wilson 10-20-2017 09:13 PM
Remember when a lot of us were saying we were worried we would be too good for a good pick but just shy of the playoffs?

I'm not worried anymore.

tap2390 10-20-2017 09:29 PM
Damn Wes is it really necessary for you to run the PnR? Just stay in your corner and shoot 3s.

EricaLubarsky 10-20-2017 09:44 PM
We bad

Bryan_Wilson 10-20-2017 09:44 PM
0-82.

EricaLubarsky 10-20-2017 09:48 PM
When do we win a game?

Does Rick get canned?

Bryan_Wilson 10-20-2017 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 (Post 1424854)
I wonder what number Michael Porter Jr prefers?
I hope #7 will be available for him.

tap2390 10-20-2017 10:08 PM
We really need to tank. I too thought there was a chance we'd be competing for a playoff spot but our priority should be getting Porter Jr.

EricaLubarsky 10-20-2017 10:13 PM
At least we’ll blow out the Rockets tomorrow

---------------------------------------------------------

Poor Mavs fans. :p And no, they made no mention of Fox or any other King. They were too busy moaning about themselves. Poor losers. :p

gunks

Hall of Famer
Kings should've blown out the Mavericks, but they let 'em hang around. Sure they will take the win though. Mavericks were putrid aside from Barnes and Berraera. Nowitzki should just hang it up.

Joerger is refusing to play Mason which irks. They could've used Mason's offensive skills with Fox having a poor shooting night.
The 2nd unit looked horrible in the 4th quarter giving up their 11 pt cushion they'd built in the 3rd.

No more bounce passes to Koufos period.
Co-sign on "free Mason".

Hill and Fox were just too impactful tonight, I reckon.

I went to Dallas-Mavs.com to see if they had any comments about Fox. These are excerpts from their game thread. See for yourself:

Skywalker 10-20-2017 07:14 AM
GDT Game 2: Kings (0-1) at Mavs (0-1) 10/20/2017 07:30 PM CST FSSW
Easy W tbh. You can thank me later

tap2390 10-20-2017 11:30 AM
I assume no Harris (his brother died in a crash yesterday) or Curry today.

CGM 10-20-2017 02:28 PM
Tonight, Lottery Pick #9 destroys Lottery Pick # 5... so Mavs win by 9....

Mavs - 109
Queens - 100

Underdog 10-20-2017 07:15 PM

Skywalker 10-20-2017 07:16 PM
Well I guess I'm done with GDTs for the season

FreshJive 10-20-2017 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog (Post 1424764)
Gdamnit these m***** f******. If it’s two games then they knew this morning he wasn’t playing tonight. Either the Mavs suck at giving out info, or the beat reporters are ass.

EricaLubarsky 10-20-2017 08:58 PM
We’re comedicaly bad

Bryan_Wilson 10-20-2017 09:13 PM
Remember when a lot of us were saying we were worried we would be too good for a good pick but just shy of the playoffs?

I'm not worried anymore.

tap2390 10-20-2017 09:29 PM
Damn Wes is it really necessary for you to run the PnR? Just stay in your corner and shoot 3s.

EricaLubarsky 10-20-2017 09:44 PM
We bad

Bryan_Wilson 10-20-2017 09:44 PM
0-82.

EricaLubarsky 10-20-2017 09:48 PM
When do we win a game?

Does Rick get canned?

Bryan_Wilson 10-20-2017 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 (Post 1424854)
I wonder what number Michael Porter Jr prefers?
I hope #7 will be available for him.

tap2390 10-20-2017 10:08 PM
We really need to tank. I too thought there was a chance we'd be competing for a playoff spot but our priority should be getting Porter Jr.

EricaLubarsky 10-20-2017 10:13 PM
At least we’ll blow out the Rockets tomorrow

---------------------------------------------------------

Poor Mavs fans. :p And no, they made no mention of Fox or any other King. They were too busy moaning about themselves. Poor losers. :p
Smith Jr was the other draft pick I wanted the Kings to draft. Either Fox or Smith Jr. I was really hoping the Kings could've somehow got both of them. It was disappointing that Smith Jr was injured and not playing tonight. Mavs only lost by 5 pts. I think there's a fairly decent chance the Mavs win with Jr. in there, but only a hunch. Mavericks looked terrible. The Kings didn't look good either, but they move on and take the win. Kings Defense was a "B" tonight, but offense was a "C" grade with some sloppy turnovers and missed transitions. I think the Kings defense is encouraging to watch.

We just played our SECOND game of the season. I think it's incredibly premature to be talking about viable offenses. We haven't even seen Bogs on the court yet - and I fully expect him to be a valuable part of our offensive schemes. I'm just advising a little bit of patience to let things develop. :)
Settle bro...I'm not saying anything one way or the other I'm just commenting on the post saying low scoring doesn't matter.

Randolph’s impact tonight goes far beyond whatever his shooting percentage was. Same goes for Fox

I guess Fox is already over the hill and shouldn’t play much either? Come on guys. Stats aren’t everything
Stats aren't everything, but ball movement is. I'm probably the biggest Zbo fan on the board, but I don't want iso Zbo over half the time he gets the ball. Our team benefits off ball movement.

That's on Dave, he has a crush on Zbo because of Memphis and I was worried about that, setting him up for an iso to close the game was pure nostalgia on Dave's part especially when the rest of the team had it going.

I'll say it again, Garrett Temple is severely underrated. How many big defensive plays has he already had? He really has a knack for poking the ball loose. Him and Fox are pretty darn good defensively on the perimeter, Hill, JJ, Hield are doing well.
Said it half way through last year and will happily say it again, Temple is easily my favorite Kings player of this last decade+ of dysfunction. Seems to do everything right on and a tremendous lockeroom leader. It's something we desperately were missing over the years.

With that said I definitely see Fox taking that place in the near future. The incredible skill is obvious, but his personality and court presence scream leader which Tyreke, IT and Cuz never really brought and is, again, something that has been non-existent on this team through the years.

Last edited:
In the scope of a season or long term you need to be developing a decent offense too...holding teams under 90 is great and all, and shows good defense, but it simply isn't going to work like that every night unless you're a GOAT defensive team. Scoring less than 90 isn't a viable enough offense plain and simple. So we need to score more hopefully after a few more games to show signs of a decent offense too.

Unless we are really a GOAT defensive team than forget everything I said.
I say we give the team a minute to work on the offense.