Kings/Magic

Gortat Unhappy With Playing Time, Hints At Trade

Magic reserve center Marcin Gortat isn't happy playing in the shadow of Dwight Howard.

"I love the organization, but I'm not going to stay here being a back-up player and playing five minutes a game," Gortat told the Orlando Sentinel. "I hope people understand that. I know I can have a bigger role on another team."

Nocioni for Gortat!

Why Kings Do It? When Garcia is back he will be the starting SF, with Casspi/Greene/Udoka from the bench. Gortat is just 25 years old and will be a great backup for Hawes and Thompson, bringing rebounds, blocks and more else. He's great in pick 'n' roll situation on both ends of the floor.

Why Magic Do it? Nocioni can play SF and PF. He's a good outside shooter and fits very well in Van Gundy's system. He will bring hustle in a contender too.

Gortat Unhappy With Playing Time, Hints At Trade

Magic reserve center Marcin Gortat isn't happy playing in the shadow of Dwight Howard.

"I love the organization, but I'm not going to stay here being a back-up player and playing five minutes a game," Gortat told the Orlando Sentinel. "I hope people understand that. I know I can have a bigger role on another team."

Nocioni for Gortat!

Why Kings Do It? When Garcia is back he will be the starting SF, with Casspi/Greene/Udoka from the bench. Gortat is just 25 years old and will be a great backup for Hawes and Thompson, bringing rebounds, blocks and more else. He's great in pick 'n' roll situation on both ends of the floor.

Why Magic Do it? Nocioni can play SF and PF. He's a good outside shooter and fits very well in Van Gundy's system. He will bring hustle in a contender too.
I think they have alot of SF already in Matt Barnes, Pietrus and then Lewis. What they're lacking is a PG since Nelson went down. They might go for Udrih for Gortat trade.

I think they have alot of SF already in Matt Barnes, Pietrus and then Lewis. What they're lacking is a PG since Nelson went down. They might go for Udrih for Gortat trade.
When Nelson went down with the injury, they said that they would NOT be looking for another PG. Last year they had Johnson and nobody (at the time of the injury) so they traded for Alston. This year they have J-Will and Johnson, so they're still fine on a temporary basis as far as PG's go. They do have a lot of players that can play SF though. Honestly, I don't think they have many needs in terms of position on that team. If they trade Gortat, then they only really need a backup C since Bass is the only backup I can think of that has any size at all on that team.

They do have a lot of players that can play SF though. Honestly, I don't think they have many needs in terms of position on that team. If they trade Gortat, then they only really need a backup C since Bass is the only backup I can think of that has any size at all on that team.
That's right. But they could easily trade Barnes for a big body to put in the area when Howard gets in foul trouble.

Good concept. I really, really wanted Gortat to be signed by us during the offseason.

He would be a perfect big man off the bench.

A

AriesMar27

we would need a third team, the magic have enough players at sf and dont want anymore pgs... all we have are pgs and sfs....

When Nelson went down with the injury, they said that they would NOT be looking for another PG. Last year they had Johnson and nobody (at the time of the injury) so they traded for Alston. This year they have J-Will and Johnson, so they're still fine on a temporary basis as far as PG's go. They do have a lot of players that can play SF though. Honestly, I don't think they have many needs in terms of position on that team. If they trade Gortat, then they only really need a backup C since Bass is the only backup I can think of that has any size at all on that team.
He may have said that they're ok with what they've got, but frankly, that's stupid if they really believe that. J-Will is playing pretty darn good, but he's 34 with bad knees and Anthony Johnson expired two years ago. If I were them, I'd be extremely concerned about how they and Nelson would hold up.

Of course, you make a good point that Gortat is their only legit backup size, so they'd be wary of trading him.

He may have said that they're ok with what they've got, but frankly, that's stupid if they really believe that. J-Will is playing pretty darn good, but he's 34 with bad knees and Anthony Johnson expired two years ago. If I were them, I'd be extremely concerned about how they and Nelson would hold up.

Of course, you make a good point that Gortat is their only legit backup size, so they'd be wary of trading him.
Think you are right there. They are not going to be happy risking their window on the back of two PGs at 34 and 35 years old.

If I were Petrie I'd float a Beno deal or a Sergio/May deal just to see what their interest level is. Either of those guys would be solid backups for the rest of their contending window.

According to the salary cap/trade faq the one year restriction only applies to the team that made the offer (Dallas) if the player gives consent:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q85

85. When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?
# For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent (however, the player can consent to a trade to any team except the team that tried to sign him).
So it would seem we could make an offer and given he is openly saying he wants out he would likely consent.

So the real question is what is a realistic deal? Is Gortat worth Martin? Gortat and their 1st?

So the real question is what is a realistic deal? Is Gortat worth Martin? Gortat and their 1st?
Wow, kings can do a lot better than gortat and a 29ish pick for kmart. Why do people want
To trade our best offensive player? We haven't even really seen Kmart and Tyreke jell.

Also kmart was having his best year before he got hurt. 30pts, 5.4rebs 2.5asts

I have a hard time giving up Martin to get Gortat, even if we get their first, Noc seems like the most reasonable. If Orlando has any interest in Noc that is a different story but i would 100% back that trade. With Sergio playing well, a Beno fo Gortat deal would be pretty sweet as well. C'mon Petrie!!!

Whenever you trade for size you're going to give up talent. I'm not saying I'd do Martin for Gortat but there's no way Orlando is going to trade him for a player who won't get off the bench. So I'm trying to be realistic, not how we can somehow pull one over on the Magic. But I have no clue how to make the salaries work.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Whenever you trade for size you're going to give up talent. I'm not saying I'd do Martin for Gortat but there's no way Orlando is going to trade him for a player who won't get off the bench. So I'm trying to be realistic, not how we can somehow pull one over on the Magic. But I have no clue how to make the salaries work.
Well for one thing, Gortat isn't getting up off the bench. So whats the difference other than he fits into a hole that they would have without him. To give up a 25pt a year, borderline all-star for a center that averaging 5 minutes a game would make us the laughing stock of the NBA. Trust me, Orlando would do that deal in a heartbeat and figure out their backup center problem later.

The deal wouldn't be straight up, and I certainly would rather try to package Martin for a more proven commodity like Bosh if that's the direction we're going, but if people actually think Gortat can average a double-double if he actually plays and be a defensive presence there's only so many guys that can do that. Obviously its a gamble and if you lose you look stupid but if you win then Orlando is the one wiping the egg off their face.

I'm not convinced Gortat is the answer, but they hung onto him for a reason and it wasn't so they could trade for a guy like Beno or Noc down the stretch.

I don't think they're stupid if they believe that. You're right about what you said about Johnson & J-Will. But the point is that they're filling in for Nelson pretty good so far. It's not like Nelson retired or anything, so it's only temporary. Until J-Will and Johnson give management a reason to acquire another PG (whether it be injury related or otherwise), I think they're gonna stay with what they've got as far as PG's go.

Oh, and whoever suggested Martin for Gortat (didn't read the whole thread) should probably get their head checked. A 25PPG scorer for a backup C who barely sees the floor? Even if Gortat is being under-utilized (which he is), that's crazy.

Oh, and whoever suggested Martin for Gortat (didn't read the whole thread) should probably get their head checked.
I said it and I also (maybe not quite clearly) said it wasn't a straight up deal, what I was questioning is what would be realistic to get the Magic to make a deal, because it isn't going to be KT or a bunch of our bad contracts. The only thing of value we have to offer them is Martin.

Last edited:
I said it and I also (maybe not quite clearly) said it wasn't a straight up deal, what I was questioning is what would be realistic to get the Magic to make a deal, because it isn't going to be KT or a bunch of our bad contracts. The only thing of value we have to offer them is Martin.
I see. Like I said, I didn't read the whole thread. If you took offense to what I said, then I apologize. I wasn't being serious, but this is the internet and it is hard to judge sometimes

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I would go after Gortat if he becomes available, or tries to force his way out of orlando. I would give up Kt's expiring for him. I would give up Noc or Cisco for him. Maybe Beno. But no way I trade Kevin for Gortat. And why would orland want Kevin when they have Vince taking 20+ shots per game, and Rashard on the other wing?

I didn't take offense but it seems like some people are convinced the guy can average 10 pts and 15 rebounds because he did it a few times when Howard was out. I'm not even sold on him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Dallas was pretty convinced on him this summer too.

Thing is that we don't need Gortat to eb a 10 and 10 guy. Just be a big physical major bench minutes guy to give us a fuill sized frontline. But for that sort of boost, which would help but not be determinative, you don't give up Kevin. There were rumors when Orlando took him back that they would try to trade him midseason. And if they do, or if he starts demanding a trade or whatnot, I think he's a good possibility to pursue. But not at Kevin Martin prices. Its not a question of me thinking we truly need Kevin that much. Its a question of getting back value. Kevin should be able to bring back a much more established player than Marcin Gortat.

Last edited:
Noce for Gortat would be tremendous in terms of addressing a key weakness, opening up a logjam, and balancing out the roster quite nicely. I'm not sure what more we'd have to add to convince the Magic, though.

Another trade idea

Sacramento IN: Caron Butler, Samuel Dalembert
Sacramento OUT: Kevin Martin, Andres Nocioni, Sean May

Philadelphia IN: Andres Nocioni, Mike James
Philadelphia OUT: Samuel Dalembert

Washington IN: Kevin Martin, Sean May
Washington OUT: Caron Butler, Mike James