Kings-Knicks Trade

A trade that would be beneficial to both teams would be a Kings-Knicks trade.

The Kings trade Darren Collison and Marco Bellilini to the Knicks for Aaron Afflalo and Jerain Grant (or Kevin Seraphin or Kyle O'Quinn).

Why the Kings do it? They have a desperate need at the Shooting Guard position and need someone who can play defense and make open shots and Aaflalo is having a nice bounce back season. Also, Afflalo is familiar with GK system from Denver. Jerain Grant give the Kings a young PG with potential and can learn behind Rondo. Also opens up PT for Seth Curry. The Kings also keep Ben to develop. If the Knicks don't want to trade Grant, I would switch out Grant for Kevin Seraphin or Kyle O'Quinn.

Why the Knicks do it? The Knicks are trying hard to make the playoffs. Their starting point guard is Jose Calderon. Darren would be a nice upgrade for them at PG as the Knicks make a push for the playoffs. Marco Belilini gives them a sharpshooting SG, ala Steve Kerr and John Paxon, that Phil Jackson likes in his triangle offense. If Marco is used correctly, and used as a spot up shooter, he could be deadly.

This trade also works in the ESPN trade machine.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hnm8qlw

or with Kevin Seraphin:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h62vbku

or with Kyle O'Quinn:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zultpj7

All I know is the Kings need to make some change ASAP to save this season. The Kings need to shake it up!

Last edited:
Seasons done man. We need a coaching/culture change. Best to be patient and evaluate options during the off season.
There is still 33 games to go and we are only 2.5 games back of the 8th seed.

The Kings need a wake up call and we can still make a push for the playoffs, but something needs to change.

A trade that would be beneficial to both teams would be a Kings-Knicks trade.

The Kings trade Darren Collison and Marco Bellilini to the Knicks for Aaron Afflalo and Jerain Grant (or Kevin Seraphin or Kyle O'Quinn).

Why the Kings do it? They have a desperate need at the Shooting Guard position and need someone who can play defense and make open shots and Aaflalo is having a nice bounce back season. Also, Afflalo is familiar with GK system from Denver. Jerain Grant give the Kings a young PG with potential and can learn behind Rondo. Also opens up PT for Seth Curry. The Kings also keep Ben to develop. If the Knicks don't want to trade Grant, I would switch out Grant for Kevin Seraphin or Kyle O'Quinn.

Why the Knicks do it? The Knicks are trying hard to make the playoffs. Their starting point guard is Jose Calderon. Darren would be a nice upgrade for them at PG as the Knicks make a push for the playoffs. Marco Belilini gives them a sharpshooting SG, ala Steve Kerr and John Paxon, that Phil Jackson likes in his triangle offense. If Marco is used correctly, and used as a spot up shooter, he could be deadly.

This trade also works in the ESPN trade machine.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hnm8qlw

or with Kevin Seraphin:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h62vbku

or with Kyle O'Quinn:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zultpj7

All I know is the Kings need to make some change ASAP to save this season. The Kings need to shake it up!
Fair trade if we keep Karl and decide to not wait for Belinelli to break out of his shooting slump. Would rather see it in the offseason though because it would leave us really thin at PG for the rest of the season

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I saw this yesterday and immediately took a look at their roster. I saw nothing that I wanted. They have no 1st round pick this year, and they can't offer next years 1st either because a team isn't allowed to trade 1st round picks two years in a row. Not to mention, I really like Collison. He had a very good year and was one of the most consistent players on the team. So I like the player you want, and, you have nothing I want, end of conversation.

With rondo a free agent, no way vlade trades collison without rondo re-signed.

Besides, the Knicks don't have anything of value to trade and afflalo will probably opt out.

K

KingMilz

Lane Thomas?! Come on man
What? Players like Thomas are way harder to find a terrific 6'8 defender that shot 40% from 3 over 6'0 foot PG's who are decent at everything. Whatever way you look at it we need a starting PG a legit startingabove average PG and neither DC or Rondo are that atm (well DC you can argue). Say we somehow luck into getting Jeff Teague or someone like that (in a Rudy deal) I would swap Collison for a defensive athletic 3 man with range in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Care to find some evidence to support your claim of Thomas being this great defender, cause I've seen none:
  • 3 def.rebs, 0.6 steals and 0.2 blocks per 36 minutes are pathetic for a forward
  • none of his advanced defensive stats (def.WS, dbpm or DRtg from b.-r. or drpm from ESPN) are any good

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Care to find some evidence to support your claim of Thomas being this great defender, cause I've seen none:
  • 3 def.rebs, 0.6 steals and 0.2 blocks per 36 minutes are pathetic for a forward
  • none of his advanced defensive stats (def.WS, dbpm or DRtg from b.-r. or drpm from ESPN) are any good
I saw Thomas at summer league a few years ago when he was a free agent, and thought at the time that he had some game. However, Collison is a far superior player than Thomas. Not sure why some are so anxious to trade Collison. He was one of the most consistent players on the team last season. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. By the way, at basketball reference Thomas has a defensive ratting of 112, which isn't very good.

K

KingMilz

Eye test, I don't really know how any of those stats are calculated (what variables do they account for?). It's like some guys are great rebounders at the expense of defence I'm not sure how not getting steals or blocks means your not a good defender. I don't really have any evidence other than watching him last year and this year. The Knicks had there best stretch of the season when he was getting consistent playing time and were even a 500. team prior to him and Melo going down he did make the team better but than again +/- or whatever other stat might suggest otherwise but the team record over the first 30-40 games (20-20) or whatever was considerable better with him playing (alongside Zinger/Melo).

Plus I'm sure the majority of those stats have massive contradictions where a crap defender is actually better than an elite/good one according to the stat I mean last year (2014-2015) Zach Randolph had the 18th best defensive rating in the NBA and Louis Scola was 20th, Al Jefferson was 14th and all are notorious for a lack of effort and skill at the defensive end.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2015_leaders.html

What does the stat/stats actually mean? I also remember seeing a lot of stats that Casspi was actually a really good defender this year among forwards but he's ok at best imo from watching him.

Last edited by a moderator:
You most likely mean personal DRtg, which is almost a useless stat, since it factors Def.rebs with so much weight (Omri and a few bigs, you mention, do get a lot of those). Thing is this off-season will be like nothing we've seen before: money will be flying in ridiculous heaps to everyone available, so guys like Gay and Collison are going to be huge bargains for 1 season as you're not getting anything close to that value in FA this summer.
Thomas didn't look impressive couple of times, I've seen him, but he does have 1 nice defensive stat in contesting: his opponents shot more than 3.5% below their season average, but it also came at the expence of providing barely any help D or rotating. Appearance of the shot though, if it's for real (FTs and mid-range improved as well), means he doesn't have to be a huge plus defensively to be effective. Finally a bit of concern is his inability to play more than 60 games per season. Saw some estimation, that he will get at least MLE money, that Thomas wants back, and coaching staff wants the same. Might take $6-7 million per to bring him in.