Kings interview Del Negro, Jackson and Mitchell for Head Coach position (Yahoo News)

Then again, let's take a long look at the offensive "talent" those rosters had.
Exactly. It is surely true that his focus is on defense and that he is a not an "offensive mastermind" but when you look at their starting 5s trough the years I wouldn't expect them to exactly outscore people.

2012-2013: Hill-Stephenson-George (at age 22)-West-Hibbert
2013-2014: again Hill-Stephenson-George-West-Hibbert
2014-2015: Hill-Stockey/Mills-Solomon Hill-West-Hibbert
2015-2016: Hill-Ellis-George-Miles Turner-Mahinmi

Wow. I have no doubt that if we gave him a roster with Cousins, Gay, Rondo and Ryan Anderson and fill the rest out with defenders or shooters we could finish 15th in ORTG and DRTG next year.

BTW, here is some analysis of his offense:

Hopefully, Vogel feels the same way.
Hopefully the Kings are interested. It has been awfully quiet on that front. Vogel would be a perfect coach for this team. Defense first, likes to play size (hello DMC-WCS frontcourt) and will play to his players' strengths offensively.

He is not a flashy guy so he probably won't appeal to Vivek but he is a mean and potatos type of coach. I think he would get along with Cousins well and his personality and style fits in well in Sacramento community. In other words his team would represent what Sacramento stands for. Gritty and tough, not flashy and in!

K

KingMilz

True, there's that incentive to return. But as long as he can afford it, he won't jump at the wrong coaching job, and may feel that if he waits a year or two he might get a "better" opportunity more suited to him philosophy wise and perhaps control wise as well. If he takes the "wrong" job, that could see him fired and set him back. Granted he could wait and take the wrong job, or wait and find no better opportunities available. So there's a risk either way, but all I'm saying is that if Vogel doesn't feel the Knicks, Rockets or Kings are a good fit he may decide to wait a year for the next round of vacancies.
Vogel is young/competitive and I see no reason why he would not want to get back straight into it to prove Indiana and whatever other doubters wrong, Indiana let Rick Carlisie go (they had similar/better success with Rick) also and a few years later he won a title with Dallas and they have when healthy made the playoffs every year.

Plus the fact Frank is still young there really is no "wrong" job for him matter of fact there is no "wrong job" ever in the NBA as a head coach since there's so few chances and positions. I also don't see how the Knicks/Rockets are in a better position than us considering he would if it works have a option to build around Cousins or get a group of young talent back if it doesn't. Knicks got Zinger that's it and Rockets got a aging roster that's going to have a ton of turnover plus there complete lack of D and what there GM believes is the exact reason Vogel got fired in Indiana so there a non-option unless Morey is fired.

The Kings coaching job to me is sort of a pressure free job cause no one outside of the organisation excepts us to make the playoffs and your in a small market that would take a 38-42 win season in a heartbeat. Hell we would just take a competitive team imo regardless of record. I think the Kings coaching job is a lot better than we are making out to be regardless of Cousins/Vivek/Vlade or whatever other issue which you could think of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Vogel is just gonna have to wait his turn. We have to interview Henry bibby first.

From SacBEnquirer:
at least we come right out and admit the nepotism.

My dad is dead, so I'm gonna put in a good word for my moms. Break all kinds of barriers. Be the first 70yr old woman who still struggles with what makes something a loose ball foul ever hired as an NBA head coach. Besides, she loves Corliss. As in thinks he's cute and has an autographed picture of him on display. Says he has "a roman nose", whatever that might mean. In any case, she would have no objection whatsoever to Vlade hiring, or retaining, or whatever Corliss as part of her staff, so totally makes sense for an interview.

Vogel is young/competitive and I see no reason why he would not want to get back straight into it to prove Indiana and whatever other doubters wrong, Indiana let Rick Carlisie go (they had similar/better success with Rick) also and a few years later he won a title with Dallas and they have when healthy made the playoffs every year.

Plus the fact Frank is still young there really is no "wrong" job for him matter of fact there is no "wrong job" ever in the NBA as a head coach since there's so few chances and positions. I also don't see how the Knicks/Rockets are in a better position than us considering he would if it works have a option to build around Cousins or get a group of young talent back if it doesn't. Knicks got Zinger that's it and Rockets got a aging roster that's going to have a ton of turnover plus there complete lack of D and what there GM believes is the exact reason Vogel got fired in Indiana so there a non-option unless Morey is fired.

The Kings coaching job to me is sort of a pressure free job cause no one outside of the organisation excepts us to make the playoffs and your in a small market that would take a 38-42 win season in a heartbeat. Hell we would just take a competitive team imo regardless of record. I think the Kings coaching job is a lot better than we are making out to be regardless of Cousins/Vivek/Vlade or whatever other issue which you could think of.
The question regarding us is what is our realistic ceiling?

We have a decision to make whether we bring back a 30 year old Rondo, and that's if he wants to stay here. If we do keep him our starting line up, with no further additions, is going to be something like: Rondo, McLemore, Gay, WCS, Cousins. We have a decent bench. But I'm not sure we are a top four team, we might get in as a 7th or 8th seed, but realistically I don't see this roster ascending any further than that without additions in free agency or through trades.

Like you, I feel this is a good job for the coach that gets it. But ultimately I think Vogel or any potential head coach needs to ask themselves how far this team can go. If it's 7th or 8th seed, get beat in the first round, like Dallas has in recent years, then how long will it be before the fans, front office, and ownership want more? We might just want a return to the play offs right now, but like other teams, eventually ambition and progression emerges and coaches can and do get fired for not doing more. As it stands, without some wheeling and dealing our ceiling isn't much higher than a 7th or 8th seed.

K

KingMilz

We have a decision to make whether we bring back a 30 year old Rondo, and that's if he wants to stay here. If we do keep him our starting line up, with no further additions, is going to be something like: Rondo, McLemore, Gay, WCS, Cousins. We have a decent bench. But I'm not sure we are a top four team, we might get in as a 7th or 8th seed, but realistically I don't see this roster ascending any further than that without additions in free agency or through trades.

Like you, I feel this is a good job for the coach that gets it. But ultimately I think Vogel or any potential head coach needs to ask themselves how far this team can go. If it's 7th or 8th seed, get beat in the first round, like Dallas has in recent years, then how long will it be before the fans, front office, and ownership want more? We might just want a return to the play offs right now, but like other teams, eventually ambition and progression emerges and coaches can and do get fired for not doing more. As it stands, without some wheeling and dealing our ceiling isn't much higher than a 7th or 8th seed.
I agree with what your saying about last years team (I actually think your being generous with the 7th/8th position), but right now the coach nor any of the fans know what the team will look like in 2016-2017 so how does the coach know if it's a good or bad situation for them? If Vlade tells them we are going to basically keep the same squad than if I were a decent coach I would run for the hills.

But you never know things change quickly in the NBA no one saw the GSW becoming what they are or Toronto making the 2nd round after trading away Rudy, Portland making the playoffs sometimes it takes one glue guy,a trade, a decent coach to change everything sometimes small moves turn out massive.

I agree with what your saying about last years team (I actually think your being generous with the 7th/8th position), but right now the coach nor any of the fans know what the team will look like in 2016-2017 so how does the coach know if it's a good or bad situation for them? If Vlade tells them we are going to basically keep the same squad than if I were a decent coach I would run for the hills.

But you never know things change quickly in the NBA no one saw the GSW becoming what they are or Toronto making the 2nd round after trading away Rudy, Portland making the playoffs sometimes it takes one glue guy, a trade, a decent coach to change everything sometimes small moves turn out massive.
As we discussed in the past, I'm still not convinced we are that far away from being a competitve team rosterwise. Obviously we still need a wing defender and someone who can score when Cousins is out. But we have the best Center in the league, a 7 foot sophomore PF/C that seems to be a really good pick and won't be going anywhere for the next years, a solid #2 option that is on a reasonable deal in case we want to trade him and two valuable bargains in Collison and Casspi on the bench. In the offseason we get another top ten pick, we have no "toxic contracts" but tradeable players in Koufos and Belinelli, and a good amount of cap space to make some minor moves.
Long story short: if a potential coach manages to see behind the curtain of dysfunction from the outside and Vlade and Cuz can convince him that things are changing I could see someone solid like McMillan chosing us and at least get us into the playoffs. Even if its only the 8th seed, that has to be goal for the next 2 seasons. Install a defensive system that everyone buys into and get everyone to trust each other. Implement a few sets that structure the offense and play to our players strength. Preach ball movement and taking care of the ball. Hold everyone accountable but show the players that you always have their back. This is not rocket science. We just need a solid coach to get us back to respectability. Vogel, McMillan, Blatt. All would be qualified to get the job done.
As you righfully said, what happens then, after we made the playoffs, can't be predicted. But we have to get there first.

From SacBEnquirer:

at least we come right out and admit the nepotism.

My dad is dead, so I'm gonna put in a good word for my moms. Break all kinds of barriers. Be the first 70yr old woman who still struggles with what makes something a loose ball foul ever hired as an NBA head coach. Besides, she loves Corliss. As in thinks he's cute and has an autographed picture of him on display. Says he has "a roman nose", whatever that might mean. In any case, she would have no objection whatsoever to Vlade hiring, or retaining, or whatever Corliss as part of her staff, so totally makes sense for an interview.
A vote for "moms", I like Corliss, too, Roman nose or not. Too bad my mom's gone, she played basketball right after WW I. She would have had to adjust though because the young ladies of the time played at one end of the court or the other - not both - although it could be a positive because I think she always played on the defensive end. Ah, the glory days. Go "moms"!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A vote for "moms", I like Corliss, too, Roman nose or not. Too bad my mom's gone, she played basketball right after WW I. She would have had to adjust though because the young ladies of the time played at one end of the court or the other - not both - although it could be a positive because I think she always played on the defensive end. Ah, the glory days. Go "moms"!!!
ha! My mom has that same story -- back in high school she was a guard, and so she was only allowed to defend and then had to stop at halfcourt when they went on offense.

Very sobering post. Ben McLemore starting SG. I think we tried that (2013-14, 14-15, 15-16).

Very sobering post. Ben McLemore starting SG. I think we tried that (2013-14, 14-15, 15-16).
You know what? Does this have Vivek written all over it? You think he is obsessed with McLemore somehow? Because it was clear from year 1 that McLemore should not be starting, yet he still does.

Last edited:
So Vlade has to present a list of finalists to Vivek...

WTF is this bull****???

Let the man do his job, Vivek. You clearly don't know a damn thing about NBA basketball!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
So Vlade has to present a list of finalists to Vivek...

WTF is this bull****???

Let the man do his job, Vivek. You clearly don't know a damn thing about NBA basketball!
I hate to say it, but this pretty much the norm in the NBA. A GM will usually widdle it down to his top two or three choices and then run them by the owner to get his imput. If your the GM, and you have a coach you like, you'd want your boss, the owner to be in agreement with you. Because Vlade is consulting with Vivek, it doesn't mean the final decisions isn't Vlade's.

Interview vogul and offer on the stop 5-6mill I'll say.

Yeah process matters but when someone like vogul becomes available you go for the kill and just get it done.

Vogul is a must for this franchise a clear proven gamechanger in the mold of coach that we need.

We must get this done.

Somebody call Vlade

Interview vogul and offer on the stop 5-6mill I'll say.

Yeah process matters but when someone like vogul becomes available you go for the kill and just get it done.

Vogul is a must for this franchise a clear proven gamechanger in the mold of coach that we need.

We must get this done.

Somebody call Vlade

Try twitting Vivek directly. If a lot of fans bring up Vogel to him, he will try to get him in at least to interview. This is assuming they aren't already talking to him privately. But there is too much at stake right now to not push the ownership.

But you never know things change quickly in the NBA no one saw the GSW becoming what they are or Toronto making the 2nd round after trading away Rudy, Portland making the playoffs sometimes it takes one glue guy,a trade, a decent coach to change everything sometimes small moves turn out massive.
Agreed, any potential coach doesn't know exactly what this roster will look like next season. But they will know that Rondo is a free agent, that Rudy Gay has been subject to trade rumors, and that Cousins has two years left before he hits unrestricted free agency. So just like we fans speculate on what our roster might look like, or who we want to target in free agency, I suspect a potential coach will look down at his potential roster and decide whether he wants to coach the team based on what he sees at this point. Obviously coaching Cousins has its appeal, and there's talent on the roster, but there are question marks and flaws that would need to be addressed. Hopefully Vlade can sell Vogel on Sacramento, but it's going to be tough since I'm not sure we are a high end free agent destination. So we either have to go after guys like Barnes hoping they break out, or make trades which may see us giving up other pieces. It's going to be a tough sell, but hopefully Vlade pulls it off.

As for the Warriors, I don't think people expected them to win a title and break the regular season win-loss record, but the young Warriors team were trending in the right direction under their previous head coach.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Agreed, any potential coach doesn't know exactly what this roster will look like next season. But they will know that Rondo is a free agent, that Rudy Gay has been subject to trade rumors, and that Cousins has two years left before he hits unrestricted free agency. So just like we fans speculate on what our roster might look like, or who we want to target in free agency, I suspect a potential coach will look down at his potential roster and decide whether he wants to coach the team based on what he sees at this point. Obviously coaching Cousins has its appeal, and there's talent on the roster, but there are question marks and flaws that would need to be addressed. Hopefully Vlade can sell Vogel on Sacramento, but it's going to be tough since I'm not sure we are a high end free agent destination. So we either have to go after guys like Barnes hoping they break out, or make trades which may see us giving up other pieces. It's going to be a tough sell, but hopefully Vlade pulls it off.

As for the Warriors, I don't think people expected them to win a title and break the regular season win-loss record, but the young Warriors team were trending in the right direction under their previous head coach.
I agree with you on how a perspective coach might look at the team. That's how I would look at it as well. I would think it would be part of the conversation Vlade would have with anyone he interviews for the job. I'm sure we'll dabble in the freeagent market, and I'm sure we'll make some trades. As a coach I would want to know what Vlade has in mind in that regard. Of course you can say your going to go out and get Barnes, or whoever, but there's no guarantee. So to some extent, whoever takes the job is gambling that Vlade is going to get the job done.

Personally, if it were me, I'd call Vogel and say screw the interview, do you want the job, and if you do, where do I send the plane tickets.

K

KingMilz

I hope that means $6 mil per year.

BTW, why was a let go so easily? I'm sure it has been mentioned but my memory is poor.
Because the team needed a new voice he was there for a long time, it had more to do with a need for a change rather than his coaching talents and it happened plenty of times before e.g Karl in Denver. Sometimes despite success you do need change (not saying it's right or wrong) the Pacers felt that they have probably gone as far as Frank could take them. Also the fact they chocked away the series to Toronto probably was the final nail in the coffin.

Regardless there decision could be our lifeline to something potential good.

vogel is my top choice. dude will put cousins in the post and get all the bigs of the other team in foul trouble. just grind out some damn wins!!!!
Great, put Boogie in the post so he can show off his pathetic repertoire of post moves, the same repertoire that has led us to 28 wins per year over six seasons. You want to see a post player, see LaMarcus Aldridge. That's a post player with a high release and footwork and poise. Boogie is a sham of a post player. No half hook, No turn around. He's a power player with limited vertical and no go-to move other than barreling the defender. I am shocked how over half of a decade of evidence is not enough to require restatement of the obvious.

And never mind Boogie just put up 27/11 spending most of his time in pick and roll from top of the key and rim runs when he CAN bully his defender. If Boogie was a dominant post threat in the half court, we would still be playing. Because that inside-outside face-up-and-back-to-basket combination would make him the BEST player in the world. But there is a hole in his game as vast as the Grand Canyon.

As far as Vogel goes, I think the guy is very good. Very good. He's Mike Malone if Mike Malone ever led his team anywhere beside nowhere. But do we want to take the air out of the ball to return to relevance? Meh. We can defend and play uptempo simultaneously. I am also a bit reluctant to snatch up a guy just given his pink slip. I think he needs time to clear his head and take some downtime before confronting his next challenge. Is he ready to make the jump from the respectability of Indiana to the chaos of Sacramento so soon? I don't know.

I like Ettore Messina. He has immediate credibility being able to relay his experience with Spurs to new team. I watched a video Messina did teaching players about Spurs offense. I liked his communication style and his demeanor. He's a winner. And on related note, I like Domantas Sabonis. This guy can be a star if he measures a legitimate 6'10" or 6'11 and 250. Bring in the Euros. Let's go. Field offers for Boogie and exact a kidnappers ransom. Teams are going to bid up on Boogie this summer with a weak free agent field. Let's let them bid and bid and bid and bid some more! Then when they bid just a little more, we pull the trigger. Buh-bye Boogie :)

And to replace him Sabonis is going to be a star in this league. I was a huge fan of Steven Adams pre-draft and wanted the Kings to draft him (and move Boogie to PF) based on how he looked at Pitt and Sabonis is light years ahead of Adams. The guy on this forum (I forgot who) who says this is terrible draft needs to rethink his opinion because with chance to land Dunn, Brown or Sabonis at #8, we are going to be sitting pretty with a potential all-star. These guys are really good. Sabonis has incredible footwork and hands and feel for the game. He's non-stop hustle with a deft passing touch. He also has the pedigree for greatness. What's not to love?! The only thing I cannot gauge precisely is size and level of athleticism. If he measures out well at the Chicago combine, he's a Top 8 pick and exciting prospect.

Last edited: