Kings interview Del Negro, Jackson and Mitchell for Head Coach position (Yahoo News)

Mitchell advocated for the Kings moving to Seattle and said we could just become Warriors fans.
I would like to read that. Source?

Nevermind, found the video.

I can't believe he thinks that it just doesn't make sense that Sacramento Kings fans would rather keep their team than drive an hour and a half to watch another team. I'm not a petty person and people might think this is petty, but this guy just doesn't get it. We shouldn't be giving this guy the time of day let alone the reigns to our team.

Last edited:

I can't believe he thinks that it just doesn't make sense that Sacramento Kings fans would rather keep their team than drive an hour and a half to watch another team. I'm not a petty person and people might think this is petty, but this guy just doesn't get it. We shouldn't be giving this guy the time of day let alone the reigns to our team.
Oh ho! Just waiting to see the backlash from some fans here. Give him the Spencer Hawes treatment!!!

I get what the fan reaction is going to be, but when I hear this interview, Mitchell is talking about the league and the likelihood that the owners would go against a signed sale agreement at a record price.

Mitchell didn't address the fans or city of Sacramento in a negative way in that clip. He essentially said the NBA can have Seattle AND grow the Warriors fan base. Making 2 strong franchises rather than splitting the norcal market and leaving another market empty. That's a fair business analysis, even if I don't agree.

Last edited:
Ailene just taking shots in the dark here. And the usual shot at Cousins' "wild mood swings." Hey, she didn't call him a bully this time. Progress.

Are there any coaches she didn't list? She also describes Vlade as gm for those still confused.

I counted 16 coaches mentioned in that article. Including the unnamed college coaches. Walton, Brooks, and Thibedeau in addition to those quoted.

In no particular order, the second-year general manager, who has been empowered by principal owner Vivek Ranadive to select George Karl’s replacement, also is inquiring about the interest level and/or setting up interviews with former head coaches Vinny Del Negro, Mike Woodson, Mark Jackson, David Blatt, Monty Williams, Kevin McHale, Jeff Van Gundy, Nate McMillan, Jeff Hornacek and Sam Mitchell, Spurs assistant Ime Udoka and at least two college coaches.
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article72761742.html

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
His basic knowledge of geography is lacking if he thinks San Francisco is closer to Sacramento than Oakland. It's also not an hour and a half drive on weekdays for a 7pm game. But those are the kinds of details that a lot of people would get wrong who've never lived in the area. I'm still hoping that bullet train gets built during my lifetime so I can ride up to Oakland for a baseball game if I want to or Sacramento for a Kings game. But this is California so I know it's never going to happen.

Looking at the distribution of existing NBA franchises, I would say give them the Clippers if you need to move somebody. LA has two teams playing in the same building. But it sucks to take any fans' team away. He's not wrong that the Northern California region is spoiled with two teams, but that doesn't matter to Sacramento fans. And I don't think a group of fans has ever made a bigger stink about losing a team than we did so we shouldn't have to worry about earning anyone's respect anymore. Mayor Kevin Johnson and a lot of passionate and out-spoken fans actually got a $500 million dollar arena built in California -- less than a mile from the seat of state bureaucracy. That's a miracle when you stop to think about, and may never happen again anywhere.

The Mitchell thing is easily solvable. They hold some rally with him, he gets up there and says "I've now been able to the passion of the fans and this city firsthand. There is truly nothing like it in the NBA or in sports. The fans and the city stepped up, and there is no question the league got it right by keeping the team here. Now, my job is to reward that passion and bring a championship to home to this city and the best fans in the the league." Done. Over.

Who cares what the guy said as a talking head on ESPN4. I just wonder how well he can coach; nothing else matters.
Who might care are kings fans who didn't want the team to leave. It was an us against them mentality and anyone who was for Sacramento losing our team was the enemy. If he doesn't see how us losing our team would effect our fan base then there's a bit of a disconnect there and don't know how he can totally win us over like adelman or Malone did.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Who cares what the guy said as a talking head on ESPN4. I just wonder how well he can coach; nothing else matters.
I think you miss a lager point here.loyalty and the best fans in the league are the calling card of this team. It is also a big part of why DMC stays instead of moving on especially during the semi-annual crap storm. If coach does not get that about these fans, and these players then they will never get the attention of the players or the respect of the fans. Moreover Mitchell seems to think that all parts are interchangeable and teams are fundamentally generic,not a philosophy I would share nor endorse.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The Mitchell thing is easily solvable. They hold some rally with him, he gets up there and says "I've now been able to the passion of the fans and this city firsthand. There is truly nothing like it in the NBA or in sports. The fans and the city stepped up, and there is no question the league got it right by keeping the team here. Now, my job is to reward that passion and bring a championship to home to this city and the best fans in the the league." Done. Over.
No. Words have meaning weight and consequences, more importantly he has clearly stated an understanding of cities, teams and fans that is suspiciously shallow. A simply BS apology tour does not change or fix that. In the end, however this is Mitchell we are talking about, a more than acceptable coach but hardly an innovator or inspiring leader, so what is the point? Is he the MOST qualified,is he the BEST fit? or is he really just another nice suit in the waiting room to put pressure on some of the candidates you really want to talk to?

Last edited:
Ailene just taking shots in the dark here. And the usual shot at Cousins' "wild mood swings." Hey, she didn't call him a bully this time. Progress.

Are there any coaches she didn't list? She also describes Vlade as gm for those still confused.

I counted 16 coaches mentioned in that article. Including the unnamed college coaches. Walton, Brooks, and Thibedeau in addition to those quoted.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article72761742.html
it's good to see that vinny del negro, mark jackson, and sam mitchell only represent the beginning of this process, because i'm fairly well turned off by the first two, and rather ambivalent about the third. i'm definitely intrigued by several of the other names that voison lists, though the list is kind of everything-but-the-kitchen-sink in composition, isn't it? i welcome that vlade intends to do his diligence in selecting the kings' next coach, because it's an important decision that may very well dictate the level of the team's success going forward. i just hope that he has an idea of what he wants in a head coach, and what he believes is best for this team, because there are tremendous differences of play style and personality amongst the many names on voison's list...

Mitchell is talking about the league and the likelihood that the owners would go against a signed sale agreement at a record price.
And, like all the other pundits that spoke in absolutes, his reasoning was flat wrong. :)

His basic knowledge of geography is lacking if he thinks San Francisco is closer to Sacramento than Oakland. It's also not an hour and a half drive on weekdays for a 7pm game. But those are the kinds of details that a lot of people would get wrong who've never lived in the area. I'm still hoping that bullet train gets built during my lifetime so I can ride up to Oakland for a baseball game if I want to or Sacramento for a Kings game. But this is California so I know it's never going to happen.

Looking at the distribution of existing NBA franchises, I would say give them the Clippers if you need to move somebody. LA has two teams playing in the same building. But it sucks to take any fans' team away. He's not wrong that the Northern California region is spoiled with two teams, but that doesn't matter to Sacramento fans. And I don't think a group of fans has ever made a bigger stink about losing a team than we did so we shouldn't have to worry about earning anyone's respect anymore. Mayor Kevin Johnson and a lot of passionate and out-spoken fans actually got a $500 million dollar arena built in California -- less than a mile from the seat of state bureaucracy. That's a miracle when you stop to think about, and may never happen again anywhere.
Not only are you spot on about Mitchell not understanding geography and travel distance/time, he was hypocritical in mentioning 2 teams being in relative close proximity when NY has two teams in closer proximity and LA has 2 teams in the same damn building. Sure, they are the largest cities in the US, but SF/Oakland/SJ ain't that far behind and the team closest to it is 90+ miles and 2 hrs away -- not across town or occupying the same building.

Milwaukee and Chicago are 92 miles apart. Philly and NY are 97. But that's ok.

Hell, Seattle should stop crying for a team because Portland is only 170mi away and any hardcore fan should be willing to make that trip, right? Sheesh.

re: Mitchell -
His stance on Sac/Seattle is questionable enough, but after hearing him talk for 10 seconds, it is abundantly clear that he's not a good match for the team.

Go listen to Michael Malone talk - then listen to Mitchell.
Personality means a LOT when matching a coach to a team.

Mitchell sounds like a salesman, when this team needs a blue-collar get-to-work kind of guy.

re: Mitchell -
His stance on Sac/Seattle is questionable enough, but after hearing him talk for 10 seconds, it is abundantly clear that he's not a good match for the team.

Go listen to Michael Malone talk - then listen to Mitchell.
Personality means a LOT when matching a coach to a team.

Mitchell sounds like a salesman, when this team needs a blue-collar get-to-work kind of guy.
Monty Williams!!!

gunks

Hall of Famer
Apparently we'll be interviewing Luke Walton.

Could be fools gold (goes without saying that The Dubs are STACKED), but he's supposed to be sharp as hell.

Don't think I really want him here, but he's more intriguing than these other guys we've been bringing in.

Something tells me it will be jackson
same. and from a coaching, motivational standpoint, i wouldn't be mad at the choice at all. I dont care what anyone says, he's a big reason the Warriors improved in that short amount of time, and he helped
them get to a certain level. Obviously Curry is the main reason but no one can deny what Jackson did for them in his own way

I'm willing to bet that he's learned his lesson and will keep certain personal things aside, and away from the lockeroom/off the court stuff, so he can get and keep his second chance.

I'm not a Sam Mittchell fan and he didn't do too good with the Wolves. Mark Jackson I don't like at all. Vinny del Negro is a possibility, but I would still be looking for something more modern and current approach of the potential coach.

Mitchell would by far be the worst coach of those listed. Took him way too long to figure out to play Lavine and Dieng over KG and Prince. Not surprising the Wolves got hell of a lot better by the end of the year with those guys locked into 30+ minutes.

same. and from a coaching, motivational standpoint, i wouldn't be mad at the choice at all. I dont care what anyone says, he's a big reason the Warriors improved in that short amount of time, and he helped
them get to a certain level. Obviously Curry is the main reason but no one can deny what Jackson did for them in his own way

I'm willing to bet that he's learned his lesson and will keep certain personal things aside, and away from the lockeroom/off the court stuff, so he can get and keep his second chance.
I wouldn't bet on it. If he hadn't learnt that lesson by the end of his playing career, there is absolutely nothing to suggest he'd have learnt it by now. His ego is so big that he doesn't see anything wrong with his hypocritical, preaching ways.

Jackson is bottom of my list, anyone but him. Plenty of promising young assistants (Larranaga, Udoka, even Walton) potentially to be had if we can't get an established coach (Brooks, Blatt, McHale, McMillan). No need to hire a total douche like Jackson who could easily rub players the wrong way with his style.

He also burned almost every bridge he had with people in the front office and many of the players. I wouldn't want to take the chance of him repeating that in Sacramento.