KINGS Inside Dish vs memphis

kings.com

by Devin Blankenship--November 19, 2004
Kings vs. Memphis

See Webb Dominate...
Chris Webber looked as good as he has all season long on Friday against Memphis. He was dominant early, went through a stretch in the second half where he was off a bit, then regrouped and led the Kings to a win down the stretch.

C-Webb shot the ball from the outside, C-Webb rebounded when needed, C-Webb played defense, and most importantly, Chris took the ball inside with authority against the Grizzlies.

After the game, Webber talked about how he is slowly getting his strength back in his left knee and feeling more confident in making moves off of that leg.

“Jumping off two legs—I’m pretty close to getting the height I used to get, maybe not as easily, but close to the height,” said Webber.

“What was more impressive to me was a lay-up I made off of one leg, and I that had to turn to make it.”

Webb’s most impressive play came at the end of the first quarter when he showed how multi-talented he is when he dribbled the length of the court past several defenders and laid the ball up while getting fouled. It was vintage Webber, and a sign that he is getting better and better over time.

Brawling…
There was a buzz throughout the lower bowl of the arena as word spread on the Indiana Pacers-Detroit Pistons’ mega-brawl that occurred right before tip-off in Sacramento.

Media members raced back into the media room to try and get a glimpse of the craziness, and players tried to sneak peeks at the TV monitors that dot press row as the incident unfolded. By the time the halftime break rolled around, details of the fight had trickled down to pretty much everyone.

After the game, Kings players and media members alike stopped what they were doing in the Kings’ locker room to watch ESPN’s coverage of the incident, with group “ooh’s and aah’s” coming every time a punch was thrown or drink tossed on the court.

The scene was shocking to many of the players, even those who have played in front of tough European crowds.

“I’ve seen coins being thrown in Europe, but never anything like this,” said Darius Songaila as he watched the replays of the mayhem.

The consensus after everyone had seen the tape was that this one incident may change the way the league operates in the future in terms of fan interaction.

Maize & Blue versus Green & Gold…
Several Sacramento State alumni were ecstatic hours before the Kings-Griz game upon learning that their school trailed the Michigan Wolverines of the Big Ten Conference by only three points at the half of their contest in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Some were so happy that they printed out the halftime box score, **cough, including yours truly, cough**, and hung it up in the locker of a certain famous former Michigan player who happens to play for the Kings.

Needless to say, those Sac State alumni who participated in the good-natured joke heard loud and clear about the final score after the game.

All I have to say is that a 34-6 discrepancy in free throws in favor of Michigan sounds an awful lot like home cooking.

Whatever.