Kings free agency, part 3

All of the other threads were at 40 pages+, so I decided to refresh things, so to speak. Anyways, free agency! The Kings still have $13M-ish to spend, and a couple bench spots to fill, specifically at the big positions. Have at it.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Lol. NY. PJax. What a comedy. I'm gonna have some fun with my brother this year who renewed his Knicks fandom after moving back there.

Even in this market, DWill is stealing. Can't believe he's going to be in this league another two years. Guy has future CBA player written all over him.

$13M seems high, I thought it was closer to 10. I like Kyle O'Quinn and Brandon Bass as bench bigs. Who is left as a wing defender?
There's really not much left out there. Guys like Alan Anderson, Omri, Dorell Wright, Wes Johnson, Alonzo Gee, and Rasual Butler seem to be the best of what's left. Or we can always take a chance on Jeff Taylor. We were also mentioned to have an early interest in Dahntay Jones

There's really not much left out there. Guys like Alan Anderson, Omri, Dorell Wright, Wes Johnson, Alonzo Gee, and Rasual Butler seem to be the best of what's left. Or we can always take a chance on Jeff Taylor. We were also mentioned to have an early interest in Dahntay Jones
D. Wright and Wes Johnson would be decent bench options. Both can shoot the 3, defend a little. Johnson seems like a good fit for Karl's system. Those options would leave the majority of our remaining cap for a PF.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The FA options are pretty limited. I think we probably have to poach a wing defender from another team -- somebody who's seen as expendable. We don't really have any assets left to trade with though so it has to be only cap space. Maybe that'll have to wait until mid-season.

Omri WANTS to be here. Fegan doesn't have much leverage in that regard, as Casspi can fire him if he doesn't do what's right for his client.
I get that he wants to be here but I can also see him and Fegan wanting to get as much as money as he feels he's worth. I still think Omri will be here but I can see Fegan making the Kings work harder than they need to to get him back.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I get that he wants to be here but I can also see him and Fegan wanting to get as much as money as he feels he's worth. I still think Omri will be here but I can see Fegan making the Kings work harder than they need to to get him back.
I don't see Fegan spending a lot of time playing hardball for Casspi. We'll have to see what happens, but I think the Casspi signing will be fairly uneventful as Fegan wants to show the world he can be accommodating.

Based on what? Casspi didn't have the kind of year for them to be haggling too much

Based on what? Casspi didn't have the kind of year for them to be haggling too much
It's just a guess at this point. I didn't want to put to much into the tweet but if it's not something related to the weather and is FA-related then the only thing that comes to mind is a Fegan issue. Omri wants to be here, we want him back. If he's not back here next year that tells me something broke down in negotiations and his agent is known for playing hardball with teams to get what he wants.

Cass pi has become one of my favorite kings as of late. I love how he has matured and embraced his role on the team! I wasn't a fan of him when he was drafted lol he's become a fine player indeed! He's also perfect as a backup so I doubt we don't bring him back. just imagining our new and improved bench is making me drool....collison...belenelli...casspi...moreland..aldrich?.....mmmmmmmmmmmm

Cass pi has become one of my favorite kings as of late. I love how he has matured and embraced his role on the team! I wasn't a fan of him when he was drafted lol he's become a fine player indeed! He's also perfect as a backup so I doubt we don't bring him back. just imagining our new and improved bench is making me drool....collison...belenelli...casspi...moreland..aldrich?.....mmmmmmmmmmmm
Its funny because I felt the same way about Casspi during his first stint here. I flat out could not stand the guy, seemed selfish, took bad shots, didn't really seem like much of a team player. Since he came back he because one of my favorite Kings by far and I love the way he plays. His value to the team is a lot more than just numbers too. How refreshing is it that he actually wants to play here too? That's why i'm praying that Fegan doesn't screw that up.

I think josh smith will be the next piece to be signed.

Houston just used up their cap space to resign Beverley and brewer, so no money for j smoove.

I think with rondo aboard, josh smith could be signed for a 3 year 18-20 mil contract. Jsmoove can start for the next 1 to 1 1/2 years until WCS is ready to start.

Kings starting lineup and bench looks like a playoff team.

PF josh smith/ WCS/ Moreland
Sf Rudy gay / casspi
C dmc / WCS/ sim
Sg Ben mcclemore/ Bellini/ McCallum
Pg Rajon rondo / collision / a miller

Last edited:
When did casspi say he wants to be here?
Heard from lots of people, even a few on this board who have seen him around this past off season say he hopes he comes back!

I really like his game too, lots of driving trying to get open....lots of movement and the occasional 3. His defense is pesky as well and he has the height to bother alot of shooter.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think josh smith will be the next piece to be signed.

Houston just used up their cap space to resign Beverley and brewer, so no money for j smoove.

I think with rondo aboard, josh smith could be signed for a 3 year 18-20 mil contract. Jsmoove can start for the next 1 to 1 1/2 years until WCS is ready to start.

Kings starting lineup and bench looks like a playoff team.

PF josh smith/ WCS/ Moreland
Sf Rudy gay / casspi
C dmc / WCS/ sim
Sg Ben mcclemore/ Bellini/ McCallum
Pg Rajon rondo / collision / a miller
That's probably more money than he'll fetch at this point considering how awful he's been over the past several seasons.

I looked it up, teams can go over the cap to sign their first round rookies so Cauley-Stein's contract shouldn't count against our available cap space. That means we still have about $14 million in cap space remaining.
I was wondering if the Kings would absorb Hibbert's contract of 15 million and get a pick in return from the pacers. But it seems like we do not have enough for that. BTW, don't we have a trade exception from the Suns last year for the Thomas' trade? When does that come into play?

I honestly am not sure how much Omri is worth on the market now lol I think thats about right, who knows maybe even worth a little more!
Mike Dunleavy got 14.4/4 after putting up similar numbers with 10 more mins a game. I'd think Omri with the 2.8 mil exception we have would be great value for us but he's worth 4-5 considering his intangibles and age.