Kings Fire Director Of Scouting Mike Bratz

Does anyone have any context to this? He's been around during those miserable years of full throttle Kangz but always seemed to escape unscathed.

gunks

Hall of Famer
A man decent enough at his job to be kept on, over the course of multiple regimes of ineptitude, by people who were terrible at their jobs.

I shant shed a tear over this firing, but good luck Bratz.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Was hoping Dave knew, guess we will see soon if there is a replacement.

Also possible was a favor for Bratz if he gets a new job quickly.
There's a lot of movement going on in the league right now in regards to personnel. The Kings just "lost" Shabbaz Kahn back to the TWolves. (He was an integral part of the video team and he will be missed.) I suspect there might be an offer on the table for Bratz that couldn't be talked about until/unless he was released by the Kings. But, as you say, we'll see. I wish him well.

I did notice one of Grant's sons working out with Harry Giles (Grant tweeted about it). Hard to believe those kids we used to see on the sidelines in the GLORY DAYS are now old enough to be looking for roles within the organization...

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248527/Kings-Fire-Director-Of-Scouting-Mike-Bratz

The Sacramento Kings have fired director of scouting Mike Bratz.

Bratz was hired as assistant general manager under Pete D'Alessandro.

“We agreed to part ways and appreciate all of his contributions to the Kings. We wish him nothing but the best,” wrote the Kings in a statement.
How do you deduce that he was fired? He may have been, or he may have not been (fired). And whatever may have been done, we may never know the truth! But the statement doesn't tell us enough to know whether he was or wasn't. So if you know something (beyond what a few fans are speculating), tell us.

My guess is that the Kings had done some upgrading in the front office with (Ken Catanella and Brandon Williams) and Bratz wasn't happy about taking a lesser role. But I'm not about to say that's what's behind the split - because I don't know and the statement wasn't specific enough to know anything other than the Kings and Bratz have parted ways.

Last edited:
It may be nothing more than making room for new blood.
That's all well and good but the timing of the move simply cannot be good. These are the sort of things you do in the off-season, not mid-season ESPECIALLY if you are a team that is rebuilding and on path for a top 5 pick.

the timing of this move is simply not good but then again it is the Kangz! :rolleyes:

That's all well and good but the timing of the move simply cannot be good. These are the sort of things you do in the off-season, not mid-season ESPECIALLY if you are a team that is rebuilding and on path for a top 5 pick.

the timing of this move is simply not good but then again it is the Kangz! :rolleyes:
Well, with this draft being so important, perhaps they felt Bratz wasn't getting it done leading up to it to their satisfaction. Purely speculating of course.

Well, with this draft being so important, perhaps they felt Bratz wasn't getting it done leading up to it to their satisfaction. Purely speculating of course.
Again if that is the case why not pull the trigger in the off-season gone? I find it hard to believe that all of sudden they came to this conclusion after working with him for some 2 years or so.

It wouldn't matter when it happened, someone would find a reason why it was bad timing.

How do you deduce that he was fired? He may have been, or he may have not been (fired). And whatever may have been done, we may never know the truth! But the statement doesn't tell us enough to know whether he was or wasn't. So if you know something (beyond what a few fans are speculating), tell us.

My guess is that the Kings had done some upgrading in the front office with (Ken Catanella and Brandon Williams) and Bratz wasn't happy about taking a lesser role. But I'm not about to say that's what's behind the split - because I don't know and the statement wasn't specific enough to know anything other than the Kings and Bratz have parted ways.
https://twitter.com/SeanCunningham/status/949858316619890688

Sean Cunningham was the first to report on this before any official release or announcement.

Two sources tell me that the Sacramento Kings have fired Mike Bratz. No confirmation from the team yet.

You would make the same complaint if it was made after the season with the draft coming up or even post draft. Tbh it's not a big deal to me at least.

Edit.
I'm not saying YOU in particular but the sentiment of the post.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/SeanCunningham/status/949858316619890688
Sean Cunningham was the first to report on this before any official release or announcement.
"Two sources tell me that the Sacramento Kings have fired Mike Bratz. No confirmation from the team yet."
Well, I hope some information is forthcoming to confirm that he was indeed fired. Otherwise, saying someone got FIRED is a chitty thing to say if it's not true.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

The timing of the move is what it is. I do not see the problem, rebuilding team or not. It amazes me that all of a sudden Mike Bratz, whom I'm pretty sure nobody could pick out of a lineup, is such an integral part of the Kings hierarchy that his departure is going to ruin the rebuild and the draft.

Simply because if you are going to part ways, it makes more sense not to do it in the middle of the season. Does not come across as negatively. Maybe everything is/was amicable. However doing this mid-season raises an eyebrow at the very least. Why did it have to happen now, rather than during this upcoming off-season?

Simply because if you are going to part ways, it makes more sense not to do it in the middle of the season. Does not come across as negatively. Maybe everything is/was amicable. However doing this mid-season raises an eyebrow at the very least. Why did it have to happen now, rather than during this upcoming off-season?
I don’t see the problem if they did fire him mid-season. So what? He was the director of scouting, and an advisor to Vlade. It’s not like they fired the coach, or the GM, or anybody particularly important.

Edit: I meant “anybody particularly important” from a PR perspective. Of course we need a scouting dept and someone to lead it.

Last edited:
Holy hell

You people have jumped the shark that jumped the other sharks.

Perhaps this ends up working out over the long haul, but this is a thing. The Kings fired the head of their scouting department
in the middle of the season. A thin and sometimes maligned scouting department.

The response here for many is “Why are some of you trying to make this a thing?” Good lord you people are nuts.

It’s fair to say. Yes, this is an interesting move but I think the Kings will make the correct and an inspired hire. Ok let’s see if that comes to fruition.

But, so what? And how do we know he didn’t quit? Bonkers. Flat bonkers.

This is why we can’t have nice things

Holy hell

You people have jumped the shark that jumped the other sharks.

Perhaps this ends up working out over the long haul, but this is a thing. The Kings fired the head of their scouting department
in the middle of the season. A thin and sometimes maligned scouting department.

The response here for many is “Why are some of you trying to make this a thing?” Good lord you people are nuts.

It’s fair to say. Yes, this is an interesting move but I think the Kings will make the correct and an inspired hire. Ok let’s see if that comes to fruition.

But, so what? And how do we know he didn’t quit? Bonkers. Flat bonkers.

This is why we can’t have nice things
At another place, a neutral forum where people talk basketball transactions, there was pretty much a consensus that it was odd timing & people were curious about it.

I don’t see the problem if they did fire him mid-season. So what? He was the director of scouting, and an advisor to Vlade. It’s not like they fired the coach, or the GM, or anybody particularly important.
True, but to fire/lose your director of scouting mid-season with an extremely important draft upcoming? If it doesn't make one curious of why and who will replace him I don't know what to tell you. I will say I am not flat bent out of shape about it. I just want to know our scouting department is as prepared for our next draft as possible.