Kings Down-Picks

"Following Thursday’s game, the Kings allocated their three rookie first-round picks -- Georgios Papagiannis, Skal Labissiere and Malachi Richardson -- to the Reno Bighorns. The trio are expected to spend plenty of time in the D-League this season. "

This goes back to last season's team ridiculous winning 6/12 last games while already staring at 44 losses;they were meaningless wins that hurt the draft order - had they tanked it they might've had Hield, or certainly not a pick going to the Bighorns in his first year. There's little confidence in your rookies if you're sending them down. Drafting for D-League is a waste of time for a non-competing team when the team needs big help in shooting and you're owner is a tightazz with money - ok'ing only FA scrub contracts. Once more losses pile-up, watch the flat tires fall-off. Close losses give a bit of comfort, but ultimately show that the management still failed in Free Agency/Drafting - indeed, especially drafting.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Buddy Hield is shooting 34.4% at the moment.

In fact all of the rookies taken ahead of us are shooting:

#1 Simmons -- (injured)
#2 Ingram .367
#3 Brown .444
#4 Bender .364
#5 Dunn .364
#6 Hield .344
#7 Murray .291

So this may not have been the year to save your shooting via the draft, at least as far as immediate help goes.

Rem too that Bogdanovic was essentially part of this draft for us, and has as much chance as any of the above guys to help with his shooting during his first year. Its just that his first year is not this year.

Last edited:
"Following Thursday’s game, the Kings allocated their three rookie first-round picks -- Georgios Papagiannis, Skal Labissiere and Malachi Richardson -- to the Reno Bighorns. The trio are expected to spend plenty of time in the D-League this season. "

This goes back to last season's team ridiculous winning 6/12 last games while already staring at 44 losses;they were meaningless wins that hurt the draft order - had they tanked it they might've had Hield, or certainly not a pick going to the Bighorns in his first year. There's little confidence in your rookies if you're sending them down. Drafting for D-League is a waste of time for a non-competing team when the team needs big help in shooting and you're owner is a tightazz with money - ok'ing only FA scrub contracts. Once more losses pile-up, watch the flat tires fall-off. Close losses give a bit of comfort, but ultimately show that the management still failed in Free Agency/Drafting - indeed, especially drafting.
Looks like a weak draft and unrealistic expectations on your part. I wish we could have landed an impact player in the draft. However, I don't feel like our picks were a failure... just yet, anyway. Give them a chance to develop. The D-league is getting better every year as a sort of minor leagues (as in MLB) for players to develop and work on their game. To say we've given up on those players is ridiculous.

#1 Simmons -- (injured)
#2 Ingram .367
#3 Brown .444
#4 Bender .364
#5 Dunn .364
#6 Hield .344
#7 Murray .291

So this may not have been the year to save your shooting via the draft, at least as far as immediate help goes.

Rem too that Bogdanovic was essentially part of this draft for us, and has as much chance as any of the above guys to help with his shooting during his first year. Its just that his first year is not his year.
This draft class is looking extremely raw.... without Simmons, it's looking eh.

The best rookie so far has probably been Domantas Sabonis... what a start. Chriss looks to be the most promising, but even he is struggling with his fg% too.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This draft class is looking extremely raw.... without Simmons, it's looking eh.

The best rookie so far has probably been Domantas Sabonis... what a start. Chriss looks to be the most promising, but even he is struggling with his fg% too.
There's still a part of me that would have preferred Chriss and Murray. If the Kings went into this season with a contingency plan to blow things up (and I'm starting to feel more and more that they did and now likely will if things don't turn around) then it makes sense to gamble on upside especially when the rookies were never expected to contribute this season anyway.

#1 Simmons -- (injured)
#2 Ingram .367
#3 Brown .444
#4 Bender .364
#5 Dunn .364
#6 Hield .344
#7 Murray .291

Rem too that Bogdanovic was essentially part of this draft for us, and has as much chance as any of the above guys to help with his shooting during his first year. Its just that his first year is not his year.
My shooting, no, the team's shooting. In general every NBA team faces the same problem.

I'd take Hield in a flash second over any of the guys they drafted. 11 games in and they've elected not to try to work out any of the rookies on the floor - its about money and losing. One can deduce the coach thinks shortening the bench is the answer at this point, from the rookies release to Reno. The Kings have nothing to show for this draft at this point which is ,as I ran through earlier, the organizations fault from last year. Does anyone really expect playoffs with fielding essentially the same team as last year? You could make a case that last years team looked just as competitive or uncompetitive. As a poster has nicely pointed out earlier, dumping Curry was not a good move (in hindsight especially). The Free Agency experiment early on has not shown marked improvement. When you're losing to the Lakers at home and going 2-6 on the road, its the same old broke-dk. I'm for blowing things up again, but i don't trust this management to reassemble any better, so its not looking good either way. It's like 76ers older-brother.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

#1 Simmons -- (injured)
#2 Ingram .367
#3 Brown .444
#4 Bender .364
#5 Dunn .364
#6 Hield .344
#7 Murray .291

The only guy I've seen play of the above list is Ingram, and I just feel so great that we have Papa instead of him.:rolleyes:

Ultimately though, 11 games in and they have, ta-da, the exact same record as the year prior. Check out the next 5 home opponents and they likely will be 5-11 followed by a lovely 6-game road-trip. I have low expectations, sure, but season after season of this and patience is thinner than Spring-Ice in the Sun.

Ultimately though, 11 games in and they have, ta-da, the exact same record as the year prior. Check out the next 5 home opponents and they likely will be 5-11 followed by a lovely 6-game road-trip. I have low expectations, sure, but season after season of this and patience is thinner than Spring-Ice in the Sun.
At this point last year they had played one less back to back and 5 less road games

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is a non-issue. There is a developmental league for a reason, not every 18/19/20 year old will come into the league and produce. Besides, the Kings are in full mediocrity mode at the moment aiming to win 35 games, whether that happens or not remains to be seen but this is the proper call. They are only going to get better by playing basketball and not just watching from the bench for a 82 game season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This is a non-issue. There is a developmental league for a reason, not every 18/19/20 year old will come into the league and produce. . .They are only going to get better by playing basketball and not just watching from the bench for a 82 game season.
Agreed. Some people act as though the D-League is akin to standing someone in the corner with a dunce cap.

I'd like to see the Kings utilize the Bighorns like the Giants use the Rivercats. Makes perfect sense.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Skal has as much potential as anyone in this draft (besides Simmons) we just have to be patient and let him develop. We won't really be able to judge the trade until we see how Bogdanovic plays next year anyway. I liked Chriss too but he probably wouldn't be playing much on this team either with Koufos and Cauley-Stein ahead of him and coach riding the veterans.

I'll gladly decry the previous two drafts but it's way too early to write off this one. That Charlotte pick was free money and Vlade turned one #8 pick into three players. Getting them a lot if minutes in the D League for now was the right call.

hrdboild

Staff member
Agreed. Some people act as though the D-League is akin to standing someone in the corner with a dunce cap.

I'd like to see the Kings utilize the Bighorns like the Giants use the Rivercats. Makes perfect sense.
Oh you mean the team that dominated their division every year until they dumped their affiliation with Oakland to go title chasing with the greedy no-class bastards that run the Giants in 2014? Screw the Rivercats and their turncoat owner. I can't truly hate the Giants because my dad is a big fan but it continues to pee me off that the A's are considered a "small market team" even though they play in the sixth biggest media market in the country and the only reason for that is that the other team in the region refuses to play fair and divide the market equally. Madison Bumgarner is cool though. :)

Your point is well taken, it's just that the mere mention of that team is enough to set me off. 11 division titles in 15 seasons of the best attendance in the league and they want to change their affiliation. I don't care that all of Nor Cal is apparently Giants territory now. Y'all are wrong. Hmph.

Skal has as much potential as anyone in this draft (besides Simmons) we just have to be patient and let him develop. We won't really be able to judge the trade until we see how Bogdanovic plays next year anyway. I liked Chriss too but he probably wouldn't be playing much on this team either with Koufos and Cauley-Stein ahead of him and coach riding the veterans.

I'll gladly decry the previous two drafts but it's way too early to write off this one. That Charlotte pick was free money and Vlade turned one #8 pick into three players. Getting them a lot if minutes in the D League for now was the right call.
I'm on record now Skal/Bogdan over Chriss

hrdboild

Staff member
I'm on record now Skal/Bogdan over Chriss
Skal is one of the players I was pushing for at #8 and we got him for four years at a fraction of the price. I was as confused by the Papagiannis pick as anyone, but getting Skal and Bogdanovic looks like a pretty good talent investment to me too. I really liked Luwawu but Richardson is a similar prospect... raw but good size and athleticism at a wing position. Even if Big Papi amounts to nothing, Bogdanovic/Skal/Ruchardson for Chriss/Belinelli is a trade I would make today.

F

Fora Dragi

I don't mind this draft but with the picks we will lose over the next few years...just plain terrible GM'ing.

#1 Simmons -- (injured)
#2 Ingram .367
#3 Brown .444
#4 Bender .364
#5 Dunn .364
#6 Hield .344
#7 Murray .291

Domantas Sabonis FG % is .467 and 3p% is .520:eek: This young PF is averaging 4.6 boards and 3 ASSISTS 9 games into his rookie season. He is looking like a natural Gamer.

This is a non-issue. There is a developmental league for a reason, not every 18/19/20 year old will come into the league and produce. Besides, the Kings are in full mediocrity mode at the moment aiming to win 35 games, whether that happens or not remains to be seen but this is the proper call. They are only going to get better by playing basketball and not just watching from the bench for a 82 game season.
eh, the DL is an absolute joke in terms of player development. I guess it's more about getting their bodies to stay fresh.

The only one who I think benefits from the DL is probably Papagiannis. They play a high pace, so it'll help him get accustomed to the speed of the NBA.

This goes back to last season's team ridiculous winning 6/12 last games while already staring at 44 losses;they were meaningless wins that hurt the draft order - had they tanked it they might've had Hield, or certainly not a pick going to the Bighorns in his first year.
I can't believe there are fans out there that advocate losing on purpose. What fun games those would be to attend at the end of a given season! Money well spent!!

It's one thing to watch a team lose when they are trying. It's another thing to watch a team lose when they aren't. I don't think they give discounts for those tickets either!

F

Fora Dragi

Now, now. Don't let the facts get in the way of his never-ending rants about Vlade. :p
Like the fact that Vlade included draft provisions in the 76ers trade handcuffing the franchise? I'm not the one in denial.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
eh, the DL is an absolute joke in terms of player development. I guess it's more about getting their bodies to stay fresh.

The only one who I think benefits from the DL is probably Papagiannis. They play a high pace, so it'll help him get accustomed to the speed of the NBA.
The point here is to get the rookies some playing time, even if it's in a joke of a league. There have been a number of players that have come from the D-League and found roster spots, in order for the team to see if there is anything worthwhile, it's best to see if they can even hang in a tier 2 league, even if they don't wow you in the first year or two, that's okay...Papa will get accustomed to the NBA faster if he commits to his nutrition and loses all that body fat he has, drags him down and makes it seem as if he is playing in quick sand.

Sabonis took 14 total three pointers in his two year college career, he's already shot 25 this year. He looks like he can play
It doesnt surprise me Sabonis is looking good. Smart player with good BB genes, and he gets drafted by a winning franchise.

For the record I was afraid the Kings were going to draft him. Seemed like a Vlade type of player to me. I bought into the short arms and non athletic rap.

It doesnt surprise me Sabonis is looking good. Smart player with good BB genes, and he gets drafted by a winning franchise.

For the record I was afraid the Kings were going to draft him. Seemed like a Vlade type of player to me. I bought into the short arms and non athletic rap.
There was a rumor floating around that Sabonis refused to workout with the Kings and would refuse to play for us, if drafted. If those rumors were true, then that's really unfortunate.