Kings beat Clippers!

This should read "potentially" hurt the teams draft position. We don't know at this point since we don't know how Philadelphia plays the rest of the year or how the ping pong balls fall. The other thing we cannot measure is the effect of these wins on young players' confidence, skill development and team morale. These are things that you seem to be negating.
Ok potentially....

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Cheating who though? It's entertainment - or in this case not entertainment......you wouldn't know if they did it anyway unless they win.
What are the other rules in this alternative universe that you live in, where people are so stupid, they can't tell when a professional basketball player is missing shots on purpose? You act like the only people who ever get caught are the ones who hold up flashing neon signs that read, "I'm Cheating!"

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
What are the other rules in this alternative universe that you live in, where people are so stupid, they can't tell when a professional basketball player is missing shots on purpose?
How is one supposed to know if a shot is missed on purpose? If I recall, Hield missed a three about a foot and a half short and wide right yesterday. I don't think it was hugely contested. But I didn't see anybody accusing him of missing it on purpose. If it was obvious when a guy misses a shot on purpose, then he HAD to have missed that on purpose, right? If not, just how badly do you have to miss for it to be obviously on purpose?

Anyway, the question of whether a player OUGHT to miss shots on purpose aside, I'm pretty sure in my universe that I'm unable to tell whether a shot is missed on purpose or not. I mean, people blow dunks. It happens. If a guy decided he was going to miss 30 shots in a row, then yeah, maybe you could start to make a statistical case. But if a player means to throw a game, they don't have to miss 30 in a row. And if a team were to intentionally aim wide right/left on only one of every ten shots, that would probably guarantee a loss. Do you really think anybody could detect that?

You don't even need to miss shots. Let the other team get offensive rebounds.

With Heild's wild shots and the 20 offensive boards last night maybe the Kings were trying to throw the game. :)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
How is one supposed to know if a shot is missed on purpose? If I recall, Hield missed a three about a foot and a half short and wide right yesterday. I don't think it was hugely contested. But I didn't see anybody accusing him of missing it on purpose. If it was obvious when a guy misses a shot on purpose, then he HAD to have missed that on purpose, right? If not, just how badly do you have to miss for it to be obviously on purpose?

Anyway, the question of whether a player OUGHT to miss shots on purpose aside, I'm pretty sure in my universe that I'm unable to tell whether a shot is missed on purpose or not. I mean, people blow dunks. It happens. If a guy decided he was going to miss 30 shots in a row, then yeah, maybe you could start to make a statistical case. But if a player means to throw a game, they don't have to miss 30 in a row. And if a team were to intentionally aim wide right/left on only one of every ten shots, that would probably guarantee a loss. Do you really think anybody could detect that?
A mind reader! Maybe Karnac the Magnificent! :rolleyes:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

I'm pretty sure that there are people who get paid six and seven figures a year to tell the difference between blown shots and tanked shots. In 2017, there's too much data available for the people with the access to not be able to tell the difference.

If people couldn't tell the difference, gambling would be a much bigger problem in the NBA than it is.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can't decide what I'd find more objectionable: thinking that you're joking, or thinking that you're being serious?

Where are the "Respect for the Game" police, when these posts come around?!
There apparently is a subset of "fans' who care less about the game and more about winning at any cost. I find it reprehensible that someone would advocate cheating as a means to bettering their team but I also find it reprehensible that some "fans" don't have a problem with doping in other sports. The idea being brought forth by kingdivac, that it's okay to cheat because nobody would know anyway, is about as foreign to me as stealing a package off somebody's porch and calling it "found goods."

I honestly hope kingsdivac is just trolling in this regard.

I'm watching the Clippers broadcast for the first time and it is hilarious to hear the Clippers broadcasters chirping about how the Kings are terrible and the Clippers already have the win in the bag. They were so smug.

They even talked about how big Papa will be an obsolete center in the NBA. When the Kings completed their comeback they were dumbfounded!

The shock in their voices are priceless!!! :)

What are the other rules in this alternative universe that you live in, where people are so stupid, they can't tell when a professional basketball player is missing shots on purpose? You act like the only people who ever get caught are the ones who hold up flashing neon signs that read, "I'm Cheating!"
You're taking things a tad serious....lighten up :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Eh, pass... When first I saw your post, I thought that you were either being serious, or you were telling a really ****ty joke and, well... I don't think too highly of bad jokes, either.

From my point of view, treating your posts as serious was the lesser of two evils.

There apparently is a subset of "fans' who care less about the game and more about winning at any cost. I find it reprehensible that someone would advocate cheating as a means to bettering their team but I also find it reprehensible that some "fans" don't have a problem with doping in other sports. The idea being brought forth by kingdivac, that it's okay to cheat because nobody would know anyway, is about as foreign to me as stealing a package off somebody's porch and calling it "found goods."

I honestly hope kingsdivac is just trolling in this regard.
Apparently, I guess I'm a subset fan and reprehensible ....<sigh>....my day is shot. Well not really....but anyway.

I'm actually not trolling in general believe it or not, or not writing to get a rise out of you, I really do hope the Kings lose to "potentially" better their draft.....at this point in the season if they are actively losing or trying to lose, wonderful.....but come off of it on the social commentary, and insinuation, please, and lighten up. This is in the end entertainment, we're talking about.

Eh, pass... When first I saw your post, I thought that you were either being serious, or you were telling a really ****ty joke and, well... I don't think too highly of bad jokes, either.

From my point of view, treating your posts as serious was the lesser of two evils.
Well good for you - I'm glad you have clarity. I can't spot sarcasm myself. I'm being fairly serious....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Apparently, I guess I'm a subset fan and reprehensible ....<sigh>....my day is shot. Well not really....but anyway.

I'm actually not trolling in general believe it or not, or not writing to get a rise out of you, I really do hope the Kings lose to "potentially" better their draft.....at this point in the season if they are actively losing or trying to lose, wonderful.....but come off of it on the social commentary, and insinuation, please, and lighten up. This is in the end entertainment, we're talking about.
You honestly don't get it, do you?

If it's merely entertainment to you, that's fine. Please, though, don't expect me to subscribe to your theory. I've loved the Kings since 1985 and loved basketball since 1963. This is much more than mere "entertainment."

Have a good day.

Your right, I honestly don't get it. And, indeed no, you ought not to subscribe to my reprehensible, base, even dare I suggest mad theories. Go forth and frolic in fervent fandom bliss, much more than mere entertainment, aye one with the message board ether....good day