[Game] Kings at Timberwolves, 1/15/14 8PM EST/5PM PST

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
KingsFans.com Official Gameday Thread
Game 37
Sacramento Kings at Minnesota TimberKevins

By Stephen Tetsu, I'm Paid in Hugs.

I think this picture sums up all of our feelings pretty well.

Well that was ugly.

After beating two of the best teams in the league by wide margins in the Orlando Magic and Cleveland Cavaliers, our Sacramento Kings were bested by the awful Indiana Pacers led by Paul George, one of the suckiest players in the league. Seriously, the dude sucked so bad it should be criminal. If there was an award for sucking, Paul George would probably be a front runner.

Demarcus Cousins is also incredibly sucky, a steaming pile of sucky turds lit on fire and then thrown into a rotting pile of garbage. Demarcus Cousins sucks so bad that every single household in Norther California no longer needs a vacuum cleaner. Demarcus sucks so bad that the rest of the team playing awesomely could not make up for the fact that he was a massive turd sandwich.

In conclusion, Demarcus Cousins and Paul George are both wastes of space and should be cut immediately. Also, most of the Pacers suck as well. Roy Hibbert is the worst defensive player in the league. And Lance Stephenson will never ever record a triple double because he sucks.

PS: IT and Rudy Gay both had their best games of the season and yet we still lost because Demarcus Cousins is awful.

PPS: lol

PPPS: Who'da thought the whole Shaq as mentor thing would actually work?

The View From the Other Side: Pacers Edition
Taken from IndyCornrows.com (more to come later)

2:39 I don't know why. But I like the Kings.
3:10 So is Isaiah Thomas good? Kind of an ignorant question, but is he as good as his numbers indicate or is he the product of the system he is playing in? He has been putting up some good numbers throughout his short career, but not at the level he is now.
3:48 I think he is, yes. I wanted him years ago when we needed a backup point guard.​
3:54 Hill’s probably gonna have some problems with Thomas tonight, those little waterbug dudes give him problems. Speaking of, guess which one of these is Kyrie Irving and which one is Thomas, the first and last picks of their draft
A: 19/6/3 45%/41%
B: 22/6/3 43%/35%
4:16 Wait? Are they using Derrick Williams as a small forward? I thought he was their back up power forward
4:20 I must be the only person who won't call Cousins 'Boogie'
4:22 I won’t. Such a stupid nickname, heck, I wouldn’t even call that a nickname, more of an insult.​
4:22 I remember wanting Marcus Thornton a few years ago But he is having a really bad year this year
4:26 Vogel and his staff clearly saw something with Acy Because they are going after him every time down
4:27 I remember watching Cousins and Favors go at each other in high school and Cousins just ate him alive
4:31 this ain’t BYU anymore Jimmer
4:32 just give it 2 jimmer and let it fly
4:33 Who does that benefit more?Sacramento, Indiana, or Michael Grady?​
4:35 Dee Brown’s a Sacto coach. Dee Can Dunk.
4:52 This is only the King's 14th away game? Home heavy early schedule. Will suck later.
4:53 Cousins seems to still have quite a bit of diva in his game I mean he is really good, and super efficient, but tonight, that stuff still is popping up. Thought most of it had gone away
4:55 yeah still has plenty of growing up to do. but it’s all on the floor stuff, that’s why I think he gets WAY too bad a rep. you can easily “save” a guy who has those kinda problems.​
4:59 Even in commercials Jennings takes bad shots
5:00 to be fair he was being guarded by like 15 Carlos Boozers, no such thing as a bad shot when you’re being defended by a team of Boozers​
5:03 Man if lance was this good in a big market team like la or knicks. can you imagine the all star votes for him
5:05 Well i guess there is a reason we are good and kings are bad
5:06 I still like the Kings they’ve got some pieces, just need to grow up and mature. and get a nice pick and pop 4 man to pair with Cousins​
5:23 OT: Something interesting. Cavaliers HC is named Mike Brown. Cincinnati Bengals owner is named Mike Brown.
5:24 another interesting fact Cavs HC is not going to be Mike Brown next year
5:25 BUT HE IS GOING TO SOLVE ALL OUR DEFENSIVE ISSUES!!!!! JUST YOU WAIT- A large section of Cavs fans when they signed him as head coach​
5:32 jesus you see that play by Boogie?
5:35 A big man shouldn't be able to do what Cousins does.
5:42 Thompson feels like the new JJ Hickson. guy that puts up good numbers that you don’t really know how it effects the game unless you watch but there’s a reason he bumps around the league.
5:47 if cousins was drafted by a franchise that wasn't in constant turmoil my word… he would be making All NBA teams easy
6:11 I don’t like the “WE WANTCOPELAND” chants, it’s belittling

Tonight's Game

Another night, another game.

Thankfully, the Minnesota Timberwolves are not as good as the Indiana Pacers. A borderline playoff team, it's not like they're a terrible team but they aren't exactly the '80s Celtics either. Coached by Rick Adelman, Minnesota is kinda like a weird version of our 1999 team if Vlade had a weird unibrow and was clubbed in the head so he became stupid and White Chocolate looked like Zac Effron. The T-Wolves are shockingly young, which isn't going to help them if Kevin Love bolts for New York in a couple of years as everyone thinks he will for some reason.

Obviously, you can't talk about the T-Wolves without talking about Kevin Love. If Demarcus isn't the best offensive big man in the game today, it's because Kevin Love is making three-pointers somewhere. Though his game gets compared to C-Webb's on the basis that they're both power forwards in Rick Adelman's system, he really plays more like a short version of Dirk Nowitzki that isn't afraid to rebound and has pretty good court vision. Of course, with this comes the tradeoff that he's worse defensively than just about any other big man in the league. If you ever wanted to feel really good about Demarcus Cousin's defense compare it to Kevin Love, who neither blocks shots or gets steals and is generally too tired from jacking up shots all game to actively do anything besides rebound.

Kevin Love's top sidekick is Kevin Martin, everyone's favorite offensive shooting guard, back in Rick Adelman's system yet again. I think we're all pretty well acquainted with his game at this point so I'm really not going to get into it. Needless to say, he's potentially going to score 50 points against us as our backcourt freaks out at the thought of covering a guy off the ball.

Ricky Rubio shoots like a 7'5" Russian dude. In case you're wondering, that's not a compliment. The man's got great court vision and can read the passing lanes fantastically on both ends of the court but he' s somehow shooting better from downtown than from the two-point suburbs, which considering how low his shooting percentage is from out there isn't a good thing. The thing is his free-throw percentage is pretty darn good so there's technically no reason he should make Reke's shooting ability look like Larry Bird's. That said, he's probably going to shoot like Jeff Hornacek tonight as he meets the point guard stimulus that is our backcourt defense.

Nikola Pekovic is the tough guy in the middle for the Wolves, a big fat paint filler meant to deter people from driving in there and taking advantage of Kevin Love's defense. While semi-successful, Pekovic has wound up being among their better offensive players, a good offensive rebounder and effective free throw shooter. What he isn't, though, is a goaltender. While Demarcus has had trouble against him in the past, he has never encountered Boogie Monster 2.0 so who knows what'll happen?

Closing out the T-Wolves' starting five is Corey Brewer, who I could have sworn was forty but is actually just 27 and still not very good at shooting three pointers. That said he'll still get his hands on quite a few balls on defense. But he's definitely a step down from Paul George so Rudy might not have as hard a time.

On the bench, the Wolves are rocking JJ Barrea as their sixth man, another fast guard that will probably shred our magnificent backcourt defense. Also on the bench is Luc Mbah a Moute, who we traded for D-Will and is good at defense but not much else. They also have Alexi Shved who has been so bad at shooting that Ricky Rubio has better shooting numbers than him. Their third big is Daunte Cunningham, a guy who's bounced around the league and is kinda like JT if you made him shorter and less good at basketball. Oh, and Chase Budinger's back so watch out.

Prediction and Conclusions
After the fustercluck that was last night, it'll be interesting to see how the team responds. If Demarcus has a good game and IT and Gay don't have a repeat performance of last night's debacle, I can at least see us keeping it close this time. If JT and Acy can at least make Love work, our chances of winning go up a lot. It would be nice if someone bodied up on Kevin Martin as well.

Anyways, I'm predicting a bounce back game. 107-100 with Cuz going on another tear.

GO KINGS

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
As a Minnesota native who loves Adelman, all I can say is "eff the T'Wolves." ;) I think it will be a much more fun (funner?) game than last night although I enjoyed the game last night which seems to have separated me from the crowd of KingsFans. Pick your fights, folks. Listen to the old and supposedly wise on this one. I felt like VF21 and I were the only ones not bursting a blood vessel in anger. There is nothing in fandom that requires you to be logical, in fact quite the opposite, but why focus your negative energy on players who were destined for a sucky game anyway? Malone showed common sense by sitting Cuz in the 4th quarter. I would like to have seen him go for 40 but team goals are more important than individual goals, right? There were some who questioned that move but I think they forgot this was the first of a back to back.

Going into last night's game I thought it would be like a grind 'em out playoff game and in some ways it was except only one team was trying to grind and that was us. It failed. Another team goes for a year's high in points. Where's our defense. Ah, yes, sitting on the bench in Minnesota. Anyway, defense is part of the new culture and obviously is for some other year.

As to the game today, if we are close I will say that it is simply OK and not worth seppuku. If we win, it's time for minor hysteria. If we get wiped out, I'll have to see how it happens. I think we are learning who we want to keep and who we don't.

Seppuku by frisbee. (From realultimatepower.net)

Seppuku is the ancient art of killing yourself if you get super pissed and can’t find anybody else to kill. Ninjas use all sorts of crap to kill themselves—guns, ropes, knives, lasers, spears, etc.—and don’t even think twice about it. These guys would kill themselves for just about any reason and often for no reason at all: that’s why we there are so few ninjas today.

Step 1 Get a frisbee from the store or friend.

Step 2 Clean the Frisbee.

Step 3 Make sure your parents aren’t around

Step 4 Put something slippery on it, like butter or cream.

Step 5 Get really super pissed.

Step 6 Fold the Frisbee hard (this is crucial)

Step 7 Keep folded and insert Frisbee into mouth hard.

Step 8 Push hard until you can’t see it.

Step 9 Wait.

Step 10 Die.

Closing out the T-Wolves' starting five is Corey Brewer, who I could have sworn was forty but is actually just 27 and still not very good at shooting three pointers. That said he'll still get his hands on quite a few balls on defense.
Ah. So he subscribes to the Denis Schroeder school of defense.

don't like the Kings' chances here. mostly because of travel schedule, but also because Minny, chokyness in close games notwithstanding, isn't exactly an easy out.

Watching the wolves pregame show on Dish and wondering if the Kings will ever have a pre-game show? Of course without Jerry & Grant. Seems like most the teams in the league have a 30 minute show before each game.

Watching the wolves pregame show on Dish and wondering if the Kings will ever have a pre-game show? Of course without Jerry & Grant. Seems like most the teams in the league have a 30 minute show before each game.
Maybe when we are good again. I remember I was at one of those HPL pregame shows back in the day in Rancho Cordova.

Well, this might be the only game, where you want the other team to exploit the match-up and score on IT. I'd take 20 shots on .400 from the field.
Rubio does not have 40% games. Aim much lower. That would be an above average game for him. He's a 34.7% shooter. Sounds made up, huh?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We had a show. It was called House Party Live. The last couple of years of its existence it was hosted by Fat Lever and Kayte Christensen.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There is absolutely no reason IT should be playing so tight on Rubio. It's not like he's going to be able to hit those shots in space