Kings and free agency - part 2

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Since the old thread has become both unwieldy and primarily about the trade to Philly, here's the new free agency trade thread. Last year we had crickets...this year we've got stuff to talk about. :)

GO KINGS!

It appears just from the schedule that signing Matthews is priority #1 and whatever is left over would be used to get Rondo. Does anyone else get that impression? I think the interest goes like this: Matthews>Ellis>Rondo. The reason I think Rondo is at the bottom of the list is because he will be the easiest of the 3 to sign.

It appears just from the schedule that signing Matthews is priority #1 and whatever is left over would be used to get Rondo. Does anyone else get that impression? I think the interest goes like this: Matthews>Ellis>Rondo. The reason I think Rondo is at the bottom of the list is because he will be the easiest of the 3 to sign.
I wouldn't read too much into it, it could be just scheduling

It does seem that way. Got to hope that Matthews can get past that injury or we immediately set ourselves back again, with the Kings' fortunes I have to say I'm skeptical. Anyway, I would definitely hold out on Rondo until the end, he shouldn't end up with more than $8 million in my opinion, if he gets more than that then we are bidding against ourselves. If we can somehow get Matthews or Ellis for $12 million and Rondo for $8 million we might be able to land a Lou Williams or similar level free agent for the rest and then we are looking strong.

In vlade we trust. Should be an interesting week. Either we'll be set up to be competitive this and next year or our whole future is blown away, which would be recovered with a boogie trade. :/

With all that cap space I wouldn't rule out a trade. Lawson is still very much in play.

Another player I would like to add to the list of players I like is Josh McRoberts. With the Heat resigning Dragic and possibly Wade, they're going to be SO over the luxury tax. In order to shred some salary, I could see McRoberts being moved to a team with salary cap room. He's coming off an injury, but he's only making 5.5 million for the next 3 years and he is a very good bench player to have.

Actually, since there's a cap hold for open roster spots, filling that cap hold with a minimum contract has very little effect on our cap space. If we really love James Anderson and want to make sure he doesn't get away (OK, that's a hard sell) then getting him early makes a bit of sense and doesn't really hurt.
I understand how the cap hold works. It'll probably be around $500K in cap space that we sacrificed that we could have used elsewhere. Sometimes even $500K matters when looking to make a big signing. It's not tragic, but veteran minimum deals are the most valuable when you cap space is used up.

How much is the max that Mathews can sign for under the higher cap figure of 69 million? I'm trying to prepare myself for the numbers we might see in 2 or 3 days.

Plus his chances of playing with Rondo again? He immediately looked the other way
That's actually a really good point that I don't think a lot of us have considered. Many players don't want to come here as it is let alone if they have to play with Cousins and now a good chance with Rondo as well, not a good selling point.

I don't know why we think Rondo will be on his best behavior here anyway. He got to play for a playoff team in the Mavericks which by all indications is a good group of guys and going into a contract year and he couldn't even get along with them for half a season. How can he possibly be on good behavior here?