Kings active in trade talks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Kennedy@AlexKennedyNBA
CLE and SAC have been working the phones and exploring possible trades, per source. Both teams are open to making a move after slow start.

He sent another tweet saying it wasn't necessarily with each other, just that both teams are active.

Good to see PDA be active early

Alex Kennedy@AlexKennedyNBA
CLE and SAC have been working the phones and exploring possible trades, per source. Both teams are open to making a move after slow start.

He sent another tweet saying it wasn't necessarily with each other, just that both teams are active.

Good to see PDA be active early
indeed. i remain unimpressed with PDA's first offseason in the big job, but the new regime was at a distinct disadvantage for having very little time to evaluate the roster they inherited by the time they were able to assume control of the team. now, i'm of the opinion that anybody with even a modicum of basketball acumen could tell you that the kings were a mess before and after the carl landry signing, but these first seven games were surely enough for PDA to see that this roster has no future as constructed, and that it would be best to try and move some of these players along to their next destinations. i only hope that his strategy, whatever it may be, is forward-looking, rather than an attempt to tack on a few more wins and sell a few more tickets during a losing season. that would be utterly maloofian, given the talent level at the top of the upcoming draft...

We can only hope something happens soon. I have faith that we can, for the first time in years, actually get a good deal. Fingers crossed

This is PDA's MO as he has stated to the public, he will place a call whenever he believes there is a sliver of a chance for us to improve. thus, like last summer, we should consistently be linked to trade/FA talks

K

KingMilz

They said something about a deal with the Cavs I assume we are trying to get Gee/CJ Miles or Earl Clark to place SF for us

K

KingMilz

The guy that posted the rumor clarified it wasn't discussions between Sac and Cle but rather that they were the most active on the trade front.
No he said it might not be with one another not that is was not so I'm saying if it were between the two teams which is still could be since there were rumours coming into the season that these two were having talks than those are the guys we would most likely want.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No he said it might not be with one another not that is was not so I'm saying if it were between the two teams which is still could be since there were rumours coming into the season that these two were having talks than those are the guys we would most likely want.
More likely Varejao actually. Amongst his other attractions, Malone and Jent coached him in Cleveland too.

They said something about a deal with the Cavs I assume we are trying to get Gee/CJ Miles or Earl Clark to place SF for us
outside of Utah, Cleveland is the one team in the association, where I'm not sure if they actually have an SF that would break into the rotation for the Kings. a move for any of those guys would be far too lateral to even consider.

K

KingMilz

outside of Utah, Cleveland is the one team in the association, where I'm not sure if they actually have an SF that would break into the rotation for the Kings. a move for any of those guys would be far too lateral to even consider.
CJ Miles would be nice imo, can handle a bit and gives us another lefty and can stroke it from 3 with solid athletic ability

K

KingMilz

More likely Varejao actually. Amongst his other attractions, Malone and Jent coached him in Cleveland too.
One thing I have noticed about Andy this season is he has been money from mid range and he's a super underrated passer to go along with his insane energy/rebounding. That could work really well with Cousins that's a interesting fit didn't even think about it I would prefer Andy over Asik.

CJ Miles would be nice imo, can handle a bit and gives us another lefty and can stroke it from 3 with solid athletic ability
he's really no long-term solution, though, and there's little the Kings could offer up in return. if we could convince the Cavs that Outlaw is the less sucky option (good luck with that), I'd be all over a one for one, just because of the money the team would be saving. Miles is an ender and his salary is unguaranteed.

Andy would potentially be a better fit with Cousins, but I think Asik is a better player.

Varajao is a good defender, solid, but not as good as Asik. Asik is also younger, cheaper, and way more durable. In the last 3 NBA seasons AV has played a total of 91 games. That is terrible. Asik is as durable as they come.

Asik and Cousins would be a terror on the glass. Will there be matchup issues at times? sure. I'd take it, though.

I just want a shot blocking defending big next to Cousins so we can see him shift to the 4 where he will eat opposing 4's for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, nighttime snacks, and munchie snacks.

An issue the Cavs have is a lack of scoring right now. Irving and Waiters are their only reliable scoring options. So you might be able to get them to run with a Thornton for Andy V

Didn't know Varejao's jumper has been looking good. That makes him interesting, although the age/durability factor points the other way. I also don't think the Cavs would want Thornton, with Waiters already there--maybe IT as a bench sparkplug? I'd imagine we'd be interested in Jack, given our proclivity for signing former Golden State reserve standouts. IT/Salmons/JT (or Hayes, if they'd prefer) for AV and Jack works, salary wise.

I've also seen some speculation that the Wizards could turn around and ship Gortat out if they don't improve soon. I was actually pretty impressed by his jumper when he was here in the preseason, and think he'd fit fine on both ends of the floor next to Cousins. Age/pending free agency is another downside, however, and it might make more sense to simply sign him next summer. I have no idea what the Wiz would want, didn't they just send a future first for him? I certainly wouldn't give them that.

Definitely prefer Asik of the three, but if all three are actually available, that might help make the market for defensive big men be a little more reasonable.

An issue the Cavs have is a lack of scoring right now. Irving and Waiters are their only reliable scoring options. So you might be able to get them to run with a Thornton for Andy V
That's the problem with putting your scoring all in the backcourt. Ideally, you want to cause matchup problems for opposing teams with a variety of scoring options. If Kyrie is going to be the point guard of the future, you need to match him up with a reliable 20 point 10 rebound big man to punish teams inside. Thornton would be redundant with Kyrie, Jarrett Jack, and Dion Waiters as an outside scorer who occasionally gets in the lane. They've got too many rebounding roleplayers on the team.

I would expect to see the Cavs go after Zach Randolph as Memphis is looking pretty bad to start the season.

Can he play SF? Haven't really paid attention to the Knicks since moving back from NYC, but I see him as SF eligible on fantasy!

I could see them interested in JT given the injuries to their bigs.

Can he play SF? Haven't really paid attention to the Knicks since moving back from NYC, but I see him as SF eligible on fantasy!

I could see them interested in JT given the injuries to their bigs.
Iman Shumpert: Weight = 222 Height w/0 shoes = 6'4.25" Height w/ shoes = 6'5.50" Wingspan = 6'9.50" Standing Reach = 8'3.5.0"
Tyreke Evans: Weight = 221 Height w/0 shoes = 6'4.0" Height w/ shoes = 6'5.25" Wingspan = 6'11.25" Standing Reach = 8'8.0"

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not SF size. If only he kept that haircut, we probably would have had an actual sized SF...

We're apparently interest in Shumpert. Although since this is a Stein report, our front office probably doesn't know who the hell Shumpert is.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/261/nuggets-kings-indeed-interested-in-knicks-shumpert
Shumpert is young and a very good defender so it makes sense that Malone/PDA would be interested in him. What doesn't make sense is that he plays a position that is already a cluster ___ for us. It's possibly that they are thinking about starting Shumpert at SF, but I'm so sick and tired of playing small.

Shumpert is young and a very good defender so it makes sense that Malone/PDA would be interested in him. What doesn't make sense is that he plays a position that is already a cluster ___ for us. It's possibly that they are thinking about starting Shumpert at SF, but I'm so sick and tired of playing small.
Except Shump can actually play SF and defend the position. He's strong enough and more than athletic enough to hang with the position. It wouldn't be similar to Reke playing SF because Shump is more athletic and actually gives consistent defensive effort

Asik would be awesome, and he has indicated that he wants to be traded, since his minutes have gone way down now that Howard is there. I just read that they told him he wasn't going to be traded, though.
Am I the only one who is not really on the Asik train? There is no doubt that he is an upgrade over the current bigs we trot out there next to Cousins, and there is no doubt that he is an intimidating defender and great rebounder, but he doesn't have the athleticism we need next to Cousins nor does he have the perimeter jump shot we need to space the floor for Cousins. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm perfectly fine with not trading for Asik (hence keeping our team worse), getting a high draft pick, and taking our future #2 option rather than trade for a piece I don't think fits perfectly but is good enough to knock us out of contending for a high draft pick. Just my opinion...

Except Shump can actually play SF and defend the position. He's strong enough and more than athletic enough to hang with the position. It wouldn't be similar to Reke playing SF because Shump is more athletic and actually gives consistent defensive effort
But is he better at SG? If he's able to "hang" with SFs, imagine how much more of a mismatch he would be when he defends/goes up against SGs. I'm a big proponent of playing players in a position they have the best chance of succeeding. That's all I'm saying.

But is he better at SG? If he's able to "hang" with SFs, imagine how much more of a mismatch he would be when he defends/goes up against SGs. I'm a big proponent of playing players in a position they have the best chance of succeeding. That's all I'm saying.
Oh no doubt. He's a SG and that's his best position. But he's able to defend SF's with decent success

Woof. I really like Shumpert and I think he would fit perfectly in our defense first system, he could be a first team defender in two years. But, we drafted McLemore to be our future SG, right? Although Shumpert is tough as nails, he's just not big enough to be an SF in this league. He's a talented player, but just doesn't fit our roster right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.