KHTK

Discussion in 'Off the Court' started by Mr. S£im Citrus, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Mr. S£im Citrus

Mr. S£im Citrus That's right, I said it! Staff Member Contributor

"Stick to sports" is stupid. First of All™, sports are neither that important, nor even really that interesting; people who get bent out of shape or annoyed that sports media personalities don't "stick to sports" take their sports way too ****ing seriously. Second of All, it takes some combination of privilege and willful ignorance to not be aware that sports intersect with real life; frankly, it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise. And, let the record reflect, I didn't say **** about 'politics'. Sports intersect with way more than just the political.

Sports talk devoid of the context provided by real life is nothing more than an armchair-quarterback post facto discussion of X's and O's... which sounds like the most boring **** ever.
    VF21 likes this.
  2. carmichaeldave

carmichaeldave Well-Known Member

One of my pet peeves is "stick to sports" guy. It's like, "hey eff you buddy I live in this world too"!

In fact, many times the day to day happenings of the world are more interesting to me than sports, and I happen to be pretty interested in politics, especially today.

When I hear that on my twitter or FB feed, I basically give the middle finger. No one has to follow me, social media is completely opt in. Bite me.

But, I hope you've read this far, your post is about as close to perfect a description of the struggle that I battle sometimes.

You're point about sports guy on his show talking politics making you think about other people who actually do it for a living is spot on. You're right. Like political guy with a sports take. Sure, you can like both, but if you wanted politics you go to KFBK or 650, for sports you (hopefully) come to KHTK.

So I've basically decided a while ago:

On my social media, I'll talk about whatever I wish. I love talking politics and watching replies of people trying to guess which "side" I'm on. It's highly entertaining.

On my show? With few exceptions, it would take a Watergate or 9/11 type incident to get me there. Sure I might make a passing reference, but that's about it. If something is a true crossover (Kaepernick) that's fine, but the Comey hearings? Nope.

People tune in to hear sports. I definitely try to be funny and have fun and not be so serious all the time, but you don't open a McDonalds and serve enchiladas. I get it.

I just wanted to say- well said.
    Ron, Warhawk, VF21 and 2 others like this.
  3. Section 101

Section 101 Well-Known Member

It's 10 pm when you posted this. GO TO BED!
    carmichaeldave likes this.
  4. Telemachus

Telemachus Well-Known Member

Mom? Is that you? :D
    Warhawk and carmichaeldave like this.
  5. Iced Espresso

Iced Espresso Well-Known Member

Joerger is coming on the Rome show after the commercial break.
  6. funkykingston

funkykingston Well-Known Member

Recap? Anything interesting?
  7. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Well-Known Member

Nothing new in the sense of breaking news. Rome caught up with him as coach was driving in central Minnesota to a farm. Joerger said would be doing some chores, riding tractor moving dirt, chain saw buzz, etc. Coach intent developing culture with Kings that will show same work ethic whether team 40-10 or 10-40. Also, and blame Rome for this, inquired only about 3 of Kings 4 draft picks. Joerger talked up Fox glowingly, Giles getting ready to shine hopefully, Mason all good. No mention whatsoever continuing afterthought of what's his name, that guy from UNC??
  8. funkykingston

Justin Jackson.

He also got zero questions at the introductory press conference for the rookies.
  9. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Well-Known Member

I know, that's why put sarcastic spin on it - unfortunately not so obvious typing away online;)

For all the ongoing snubs Justin has been getting in silent treatment welcome to Kings by media deserves to be on our KingsFans banner until further notice I'd sayo_O
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. funkykingston

I figured that was the case. Always hard to be sure with just text. You have to at least give me a winking emoji!;)
  11. Iced Espresso

Sums it up pretty well.
  12. Iced Espresso

FWIW Rome said Joerger is a good leader, and really has a presence as a coach. Rome even joked about how he wanted to pick up a chainsaw after talking with him.

About all I can add.
  13. LoungeLizard

LoungeLizard Well-Known Member

Justin was on the morning show with Dave and Kayte. Unfortunately, I tuned in right as it ended. I could tell Dave and Kayte were impressed.

Anybody out there catch it?
  14. funkykingston

Funny, I pulled into work just as they were saying he'd be on next.
  15. ESP47

ESP47 Well-Known Member

They asked him how he was doing and he just said "Appreciate you all" and hung up.
    macadocious likes this.
  16. itzcoatl

itzcoatl Well-Known Member

I caught that interview. He mentioned he's getting married before the season started, there was some discussion about him having been homeschooled, and he discussed how he's looking forward to try to win this year. Dave hinted at the fact that the Kings were likely going to lose quite a bit this year which would be a big change for Justin, since he has always won wherever he has been. Justin told Dave that talk like that just motivated him even more to win. Very mature young man and I liked him a lot.
  17. allrightythen

allrightythen Well-Known Member

By some stroke of luck I decided to forego pandora on my way to work and see what KHTK was doing and caught a really great interview with Greg Lukenbill. I didn't know I could dislike the Maloofs more than I already did but he convinced me that they were worse than I thought. Hearing how he brought the Kings here and the ideas that fueled it were fascinating and really entertaining. As someone who has little use for the morning show I have to give Dave credit for a really good 30 minutes of radio this morning (there was more but my commute is only 30 min :p) Good job Dave.
    fansinceday1 and Hoovtrain like this.
  18. Hoovtrain

Hoovtrain Well-Known Member

^agreed. Fascinating interview
  19. dude12

dude12 Well-Known Member

What did Lukenbill have to say about the Magoofs?
  20. Mike0476

Mike0476 Well-Known Member Contributor

21. allrightythen

allrightythen Well-Known Member

He felt that they were responsible for some of the problems at Arco and that they accelerated its deterioration so they would have more ammo in the fight for a new arena.
  22. fansinceday1

fansinceday1 Well-Known Member

Another thing that I loved was hearing about how close Sacramento came to getting the Raiders. According to Lukenbill it was a done deal until someone else in the partnership group helped to torpedo the agreement. He also said that a lady that works at G1, her husband worked in management at Raiders Headquarters at the time and they had a memo saying that the raiders were moving to Sacramento.

I had to call Grant yesterday and ask him what he thought about the raider deal and he completely discounted it and said it was never gonna happen. Not a chance, no way no how. It took me by surprise because Grant went complete against the guy who was actually engineering the deal. He said he loved Gregg Lukenbill but that the Raider deal was never gonna happen. The Raiders were just using Sac. This is what I have always thought, until I heard Mr. Lukenbill on Daves show yesterday. Id be curious to hear what Dave thinks about the whole raider thing and what Grant said yesterday on his show.
    Hoovtrain, ESP47 and VF21 like this.
  23. dude12

dude12 Well-Known Member

Grant Napear spouts his opinion often, part of his job, but I believe he does very little research...in my opinion. That is the way it comes across to me when I hear him on the radio or tv. And when you call in and disagree, he just tries to steamroll you instead of having a civil conversation.
    ESP47 likes this.
  24. fansinceday1

Another great show CD.
    Listening to you, Gary Gerould, Jerry Reynolds, and Scott Moak shoot the s*** is AWESOME!

Loved hearing the "old" jokes from jerry and Gary. Especially At the end when jerry said he wakes up and thinks "well, I'm here for another day....."
    Then Gary ends the show with "better to be seen than viewed".
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  25. carmichaeldave

carmichaeldave Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed it. With all the guests this week, my big worry is that I would have more fun than you guys. But judging by the response, not the case. And being with those guys today, I would've paid to go to work. I was a kid in a candy (legend) store.
  26. fansinceday1

I hope people are able to listen to grant filling in for CD and kayte.

Grant has been telling stories the whole show and man, its been great radio.

I might not agree with a lot of what Grant says but man, when he's not taking calls he can spin stories like no other. From spud webb to wayman tisdale. From Danny Ainge to Dick Motta. Great stories.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  27. Section 101

Section 101 Well-Known Member

Translation: Grant's old.
    Tetsujin likes this.
  28. Hoovtrain

Hoovtrain Well-Known Member

Hate Napier the host and won't listen to his show...I do however find him hilarious and pretty interesting whenever he calls in and shoots the poopoo with CD in the morning
  29. pshn80

pshn80 Well-Known Member

........ and old is good I assume you are inferring. Grant, Gary, Jerry and I are old, and therefore good. CD is getting there, a good novice.