Kevin Martin interview on difference between Houston and Sac

He was talking about Brad Miller teaching him how to cut on offense. Way to twist his words though.

Anyway, I'll always root for Kevin Martin. I read that interview thinking he was going to bad mouth the Kings and really he did nothing other than tell the truth. If he doesn't want to be the #1 ball hog option, then thats fine. He can either shoot 41% and score 25ppg or shoot 47% and score 20ppg. There is nothing wrong with the guy saying he is more efficient when he isn't given the ball and told to just do what he can to score.

I think he was put in a situation that he wasn't qualified for, as the primary scoring option, and it sucks losing 60 games a year, so the relief he must feel being on a different team with a different role has got to be significant. I don't blame him for how bad we were, but I do know that he's not what we tried to make him. This was a good move for him and for us, and I hope he makes the most of his new opportunity and continues to grow as a player.

I think he was put in a situation that he wasn't qualified for, as the primary scoring option, and it sucks losing 60 games a year, so the relief he must feel being on a different team with a different role has got to be significant. I don't blame him for how bad we were, but I do know that he's not what we tried to make him. This was a good move for him and for us, and I hope he makes the most of his new opportunity and continues to grow as a player.
This is exactly how I feel. Thanks, Superman.

K

Kingsguy881

Bogus. So he doesn't have the drive to be the best player in the league like we had hoped. He is more content with just being a role player. Ok. Lets help him make excuses for why he sucked at an all around game. So Kobe Bryant can play tremendous offense and shut down defense, be the focal point on both sides of the court and handle it mentally and poor little mentally weak Kevin Martin can't, he crumbles under the pressure. BOO! You know, everytime he went up against Kobe, now that I think about, he did have Peja-itis, a little bit of shrinkage and shrivelage. Whatever, I like the guy but he just told the world what color panties he wears and that's not gangster.

Bogus. So he doesn't have the drive to be the best player in the league like we had hoped. He is more content with just being a role player. Ok. Lets help him make excuses for why he sucked at an all around game. So Kobe Bryant can play tremendous offense and shut down defense, be the focal point on both sides of the court and handle it mentally and poor little mentally weak Kevin Martin can't, he crumbles under the pressure. BOO! You know, everytime he went up against Kobe, now that I think about, he did have Peja-itis, a little bit of shrinkage and shrivelage. Whatever, I like the guy but he just told the world what color panties he wears and that's not gangster.
What are you talking about? He's not Kobe Bryant, not even close, so what's with the comparison? And what do you mean "that's not gangster"? Who cares? You'd rather have Javarris Crittendon? JR Smith?

This is absurd. I'm not a Martin fanboy. I was never all that high on him, never mistook him for a true #1 scoring option or an all around player. I don't think anyone was expecting him to become the best player in the league. We're talking about Kevin Martin here, 26th pick in the draft out of Western Carolina. The stringy 180 pounder with the funky shot. The ... No, you know what? I'm not going any further. This is pointless.

K

Kingsguy881

What are you talking about? He's not Kobe Bryant, not even close, so what's with the comparison? And what do you mean "that's not gangster"? Who cares? You'd rather have Javarris Crittendon? JR Smith?

This is absurd. I'm not a Martin fanboy. I was never all that high on him, never mistook him for a true #1 scoring option or an all around player. I don't think anyone was expecting him to become the best player in the league. We're talking about Kevin Martin here, 26th pick in the draft out of Western Carolina. The stringy 180 pounder with the funky shot. The ... No, you know what? I'm not going any further. This is pointless.
As you shouldn't. He has the potential to be a baller but not the drive. He is content with just being 'good' and not 'great'. Thats my point. I always want to be the best in whatever I do, bass fishing, my job, brewing beer, being a father. Some of us have the drive, some of us don't. I find his interview disappointing to say the least.

That's ridiculous. Matin was a 26th draft pick and most people thought he'd never make it in the NBA. No matter how much someone works or how much someone wants to reach a certain level, there are some goals that can't be achieved, simply becasue they don't have the same hieght, speed, quickness, reflexes, hand-eye coordination or any combination of those physical aptitudes or a score of other physical traits, that a person is either born with or not.

All people can do thorugh hard work and the proper mentality is make the most of the physical attributes they are belssed with and minimize their weaknesses. I don't care how hard I work or how much I want it, I never could have been LeBron or Shaq or Wade.

Too many people here wanted Martin to make the Kings a much better team all by himself. That just wasn't going to happen. A secons or third option was always likely the best role for him on a team.

Very few of us ever get to be the best in the world at anything, no matter how hard we try.

As you shouldn't. He has the potential to be a baller but not the drive. He is content with just being 'good' and not 'great'. Thats my point. I always want to be the best in whatever I do, bass fishing, my job, brewing beer, being a father. Some of us have the drive, some of us don't. I find his interview disappointing to say the least.
I don't care how bad he "wanted" it, Kevin Martin was never going to be great. From the physical limitations to the mental, he never had the greatness gene, and no one ever accused him of having it either. That's what I don't understand about your criticism. He's not Kobe Bryant. Never was meant to be one of the best players in the NBA. That's part of the reason we only won 17 games a couple seasons ago, because Kevin Martin isn't good enough to be the best player on even a mediocre team. Everyone knew that, and that's why Kings fans have been so frustrated for the last four years. Not because Kevin Martin wasn't living up to his potential, but because we tried to put him in a position that he wasn't suited for. He's not your lead sled dog.

I was never high on Martin but come on. He worked hard while he was here, he improved his offensive game most every season and he tried to get better defensively but his body wasn't up to the task. It doesn't seem right to question his drive, for a 24th pick he exceeded reasonable expectations and it wasn't his fault that many tried to elevate him far beyond his ceiling as a player.

K

Kingsguy881

My son is 5, and whenever he displays this 'I can't do it' attitude I ask him if he gave it his best. When he answers 'no', he understands the lesson I'm trying to teach him. Kevin Martin tried hard, but he didn't give his best. He could have been very VERY good and fit well with Tyreke, but he didn't give it his all and he told an interviewer that he didn't. That is a sign of weakness and I'm sorry, there have been many picks taken later than Martin was that made it in the NBA based solely on effort and not just talent. These are all just excuses.

My son is 5, and whenever he displays this 'I can't do it' attitude I ask him if he gave it his best. When he answers 'no', he understands the lesson I'm trying to teach him. Kevin Martin tried hard, but he didn't give his best. He could have been very VERY good and fit well with Tyreke, but he didn't give it his all and he told an interviewer that he didn't. That is a sign of weakness and I'm sorry, there have been many picks taken later than Martin was that made it in the NBA based solely on effort and not just talent. These are all just excuses.
Okay, so you're upset that Kevin Martin didn't try his best? I can understand that. There are those that might disagree with you, or might try to make excuses for it, but I wouldn't have argued if you said that he didn't try his best and you lost respect for him because of that. But you started talking about how he isn't Kobe Bryant and isn't great and isn't "gangster." Totally different.

K

Kingsguy881

Okay, so you're upset that Kevin Martin didn't try his best? I can understand that. There are those that might disagree with you, or might try to make excuses for it, but I wouldn't have argued if you said that he didn't try his best and you lost respect for him because of that. But you started talking about how he isn't Kobe Bryant and isn't great and isn't "gangster." Totally different.
I was just using Kobe as an example of someone who plays his heart out. My bad. The gangster part was just me being silly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bull. Pure unadulterated bull. Think what you like and spew all the crap you wish but for God's sake, let this stupid stuff about Martin go. I've been accused of being one of his biggest rabid fans and it's true. I like Kevin. I got to know some of his family members and I know his backstory. I know FOR A FACT that he has exceeded every single hope and expectation of those who saw him go from high school to college and then into the NBA. He's worked hard to get to where he is; he's given back much to charities in Sacramento, in his home town, in other countries, etc. He's one of the nicest young men you'll ever meet...and he truly loves the game of basketball. He's not a great player but not everyone is. This non-ending attack on him was crap back in the day and it's crap now.

It really appears his biggest fault is that he didn't live up to your expectations. Well, guess what? He doesn't have to. He did live up to the expectations of Geoff Petrie, of the Maloofs, and a lot of other people who were in a lot better position to judge him than you will ever be.

And now, I'm setting fire to the soapbox. I've made the only comment I'll make in this post in defense of Kev for the simple reason he really doesn't need defending.

As far as the article goes, he was honest - as he's always been. I still wish him every success in Houston. I think it's a good fit.

I think he took on the superstar moniker at one point and ended up regretting it. There were interviews where he'd talk about emulating Dwayne Wade and it was spun into some potential superstar PR, but eventually I think he realized he wasn't that sort of player. You can't come out and admit that in the sports world though.

K

Kingsguy881

Bull. Pure unadulterated bull. Think what you like and spew all the crap you wish but for God's sake, let this stupid stuff about Martin go. I've been accused of being one of his biggest rabid fans and it's true. I like Kevin. I got to know some of his family members and I know his backstory. I know FOR A FACT that he has exceeded every single hope and expectation of those who saw him go from high school to college and then into the NBA. He's worked hard to get to where he is; he's given back much to charities in Sacramento, in his home town, in other countries, etc. He's one of the nicest young men you'll ever meet...and he truly loves the game of basketball. He's not a great player but not everyone is. This non-ending attack on him was crap back in the day and it's crap now.

It really appears his biggest fault is that he didn't live up to your expectations. Well, guess what? He doesn't have to. He did live up to the expectations of Geoff Petrie, of the Maloofs, and a lot of other people who were in a lot better position to judge him than you will ever be.

And now, I'm setting fire to the soapbox. I've made the only comment I'll make in this post in defense of Kev for the simple reason he really doesn't need defending.

As far as the article goes, he was honest - as he's always been. I still wish him every success in Houston. I think it's a good fit.
I think you just got done spewing enough crap for everyone in this thread. I never attacked Martin's character, his upbringing, whether he exceeded people's expectations of him, yada yada yada. I don't feel Martin gave it his best shot, I don't think he gave it his all, I think he was more focused on scoring and looking pretty than on taking the next step. And he could have taken the next step. I have every confidence that if he had put his mind to it he could have become a very good defender and an exceptional offensive player. But his comment 'I had to focus on scoring so we would only lose by 10' was plain pathetic. So you can't focus on shutting down your man and then schooling him on the other end, you can only focus on scoring the rock and who cares what happens on the other end. So go ahead and burn your soapbox, cuz that was the only leg you had to stand on to begin with. If you take your personal feelings out of the equation you will see that Kevin Martin is Peja 2.0, willing to be pushed around and take the easy way out. ANYBODY can score the rock, some better than others. But its the internal fire and competitiveness that seperates the men from the boys. I will admit I had high hopes that Martin had that, because he talked about it and got me excited to see it. But in the end, he was the same old Martin, score 30 and give up 40. Never win that way.

Well said, VF21. Very well said.

I think you just got done spewing enough crap for everyone in this thread. I never attacked Martin's character, his upbringing, whether he exceeded people's expectations of him, yada yada yada. I don't feel Martin gave it his best shot, I don't think he gave it his all, I think he was more focused on scoring and looking pretty than on taking the next step. And he could have taken the next step. I have every confidence that if he had put his mind to it he could have become a very good defender and an exceptional offensive player. But his comment 'I had to focus on scoring so we would only lose by 10' was plain pathetic. So you can't focus on shutting down your man and then schooling him on the other end, you can only focus on scoring the rock and who cares what happens on the other end. So go ahead and burn your soapbox, cuz that was the only leg you had to stand on to begin with. If you take your personal feelings out of the equation you will see that Kevin Martin is Peja 2.0, willing to be pushed around and take the easy way out. ANYBODY can score the rock, some better than others. But its the internal fire and competitiveness that seperates the men from the boys. I will admit I had high hopes that Martin had that, because he talked about it and got me excited to see it. But in the end, he was the same old Martin, score 30 and give up 40. Never win that way.
Dude you have no idea how hard Kevin worked or didn't work. Unless you are a Kings player or coach, you wouldn't have any idea who was slacking or not. The fact is that 80% of the players in the NBA can't play defense and Kevin was one of them. Some guys have a knack for it like Artest. Other guys can't do it at all like Bibby and Martin. Defense isn't about being quick, it's about being smart and having solid instincts. Artest wasn't the fastest by a long shot but he had good instincts.

Kevin is who he is and there is only so many ways to answer these types of questions. Yet his comments gets under my skin, just the way he comes off. He talks of having to score 25 just to lose by 10, but if he'd do some of the other stuff we'd been a better team. This isn't first time I've seen him use his 25ppg average to deflect criticism. I don't know if he's just clueless or self obsess. Either way I'm glad he isn't on the team anymore.

K

Kingsguy881

Kevin is who he is and there is only so many ways to answer these types of questions. Yet his comments gets under my skin, just the way he comes off. He talks of having to score 25 just to lose by 10, but if he'd do some of the other stuff we'd been a better team. This isn't first time I've seen him use his 25ppg average to deflect criticism. I don't know if he's just clueless or self obsess. Either way I'm glad he isn't on the team anymore.
No, don't say that, he was raised nicely and his family is cool, don't say that he disappointed and acknowledged that fact while insinuating to the fans that believed in him that they had a false deity. It never was going to be him because he is self centered and did not want to put in the work to be more than he was: a scorer lacking a killer instinct. Peja 2.0. Loved ya Kev but you were right, you were never meant to be a franchise savior or a #1 option. So sad becuz u wanted to be and then retracted when you realized you weren't man enough.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said, could have been way way worse.
Shame that Rick and him won't do anything again next year though 'cause their gm basically has been ruining this team for the last 2 years.

I think some folks are reading a whole lot into Martin's comments. Must be people who's off-hand comments are always fraught with multiple levels of deep meaning. ;)

No, don't say that, he was raised nicely and his family is cool, don't say that he disappointed and acknowledged that fact while insinuating to the fans that believed in him that they had a false deity. It never was going to be him because he is self centered and did not want to put in the work to be more than he was: a scorer lacking a killer instinct. Peja 2.0. Loved ya Kev but you were right, you were never meant to be a franchise savior or a #1 option. So sad becuz u wanted to be and then retracted when you realized you weren't man enough.
So why are you holding him to that ridiculously high standard? You're comparing him to the best players in the NBA. He isn't an elite player. He actually surpassed my expectations of him. He was a late first rounder that I figured as a bench player with the potential to be a starter IF he proved himself defensively. Him averaging 25 points a game blew my mind, because I didn't think he was capable of that. So I'm not disappointed in him at all, because I didn't even expect that much from him to begin with. Peja 2.0 would have been a compliment for Kevin when he got drafted, at least based on my impression of him.

I think some people saw that he could score and said "he can be a leading scorer in the NBA, maybe we can pin our hopes on him and build the team around him," and that was just a colossal mistake. You buy a penny stock that blows up, and then it gets upgraded and everyone starts to expect great things out of it, and eventually it shrinks back down to more reasonable levels of production, and all of a sudden it's a bust because it's not GOOG or AAPL. It's not a bust, it was just oversold. Kevin Martin was oversold. Apparently, you're one of the people that bought high and got burned. That's too bad.

And maybe Kevin's expressions that he wanted to be one of the best influenced your opinion of him. That's understandable. But it doesn't change what he was, what he always was: a skinny kid who learned to score, but was never particularly good at anything else.

K

Kingsguy881

He said he wanted to be a superstar, the likes of Dwyane Wade, going into a 17 win season. If he wanted to be elevated to that level, and he came out and said it, you damn right I'm gonna hold him to that standard. Gilbert Arenas said the same thing and came out and backed it up (injuries and mental farts aside) and he was picked even lower than Martin. I don't think Martin had the work ethic to be what he said he wanted to be, and so this summer he is backtracking after realizing that he couldn't handle the pressure of super-stardom. So instead of working harder he comes out and puts the blame on us, fans, for wanting him to achieve what he said he wanted to achieve. And now I catch flak for holding him to what he said. All bad.

He said he wanted to be a superstar, the likes of Dwyane Wade, going into a 17 win season. If he wanted to be elevated to that level, and he came out and said it, you damn right I'm gonna hold him to that standard. Gilbert Arenas said the same thing and came out and backed it up (injuries and mental farts aside) and he was picked even lower than Martin. I don't think Martin had the work ethic to be what he said he wanted to be, and so this summer he is backtracking after realizing that he couldn't handle the pressure of super-stardom. So instead of working harder he comes out and puts the blame on us, fans, for wanting him to achieve what he said he wanted to achieve. And now I catch flak for holding him to what he said. All bad.
I don't care if he said he wanted to be a superstar. You should have rolled your eyes and said "Ok Kev, just work on that defense," just like I did. It's called delusions of grandeur, and it's not uncommon among scoring two-guards in the NBA.

It's not about work ethic. Kevin Martin can work all day long for as long as he wants to, and he'll NEVER be Dwayne Wade. Won't be Gilbert Arenas, either. Both of those guys are simply more talented than he is. See, there's talent, and then there's skill. Superstardom comes when those two qualities are maximized in one player. And you have plenty of truly talented players that never developed enough skill to be special players. And there's tons of players that are incredibly skilled, but just don't have the raw talent to transcend.

Maybe Kevin Martin didn't work as hard as he could have (I'm not inclined to simply take your word for it, as there are numerous reports that he's in fact a very hard worker), and maybe he is shrinking back now, but it doesn't change the fact that he was never going to be a superstar, regardless of what he said or how hard he worked. And that's what's so ridiculous about you comparing him to superstars, because he's simply not that and never was. Like I said, he was never anything more than a guy who had the potential to be a good scorer. You call him Peja 2.0, and I say "well, what did you expect?"

And all of that notwithstanding, he's not a King anymore. He's in a situation that's a lot more suitable to him, and I hope he can flourish there. He's not going to be a first team kind of guy, but he'll probably fill his role nicely and help his team win some games, and I'll be happy for him. If you want to hang your hopes on a someone's desire to be a truly elite player, look at our own roster. We have two guys that actually do have the potential to be top ten players in the NBA. Now if they end up being middling role players, then I'll be disappointed.

K

Kingsguy881

Naw, I wish him all the best in Houston and anything he does. I just found it kinda weak for him to say that 'people' wanted him to be something he wasn't. He should have owned up to the fact that he wanted to be 'it' and had no idea what it took to be 'it'. Once he came out and acted like he wanted to be the guy, you started hearing Reggie Miller comparisons out there and the fact is Martin COULD have been almost as good as Miller but Reggie was 10x tougher than Kev and that was disappointing to me. But whatever, it's all good, it's done and I'm gonna move on and just wish him the best.