Keith Smart's defensive scheme

Anyone else tired of seeing teams shoot wide open three's on us every game? The only time we should be leaving guys wide open is when another player got beat so badly that the defender is forced to double to prevent the easy basket. In that case it's going to be a 2 point basket anyway, so I see no problem in leaving the guy wide open for 3 to take his chances.

The Kings take this 10 steps further. I used to think it was our players trying to go for steals in the paint but it's become painfully obvious they are being coached to double team any offensive player that is within 15 feet of the basket. What really irks the hell out of me is you'll have a PF or C on the opposing team who will be iso'd on Chuck Hayes. Now if said player can score in an iso situation on Hayes, you just have to tip your cap because it doesn't happen very often. We basically take our best defensive play in a 1 on 1 Hayes situation and turn it into dog poo by having one of our guards run in to swat at the ball, only to have the ball kicked out to the player they were once guarding for a wide open 3. Rinse and repeat that all game and it's yet another reason why we lose more often than not. It's mind boggling how an NBA coach could be this bad.

did you not hear Keith Smart in the post game pressor after the DAL game last week. he said something like this. "Defense is simple, it guarding the paint and rebounding"

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Anyone else tired of seeing teams shoot wide open three's on us every game? The only time we should be leaving guys wide open is when another player got beat so badly that the defender is forced to double to prevent the easy basket. In that case it's going to be a 2 point basket anyway, so I see no problem in leaving the guy wide open for 3 to take his chances.

The Kings take this 10 steps further. I used to think it was our players trying to go for steals in the paint but it's become painfully obvious they are being coached to double team any offensive player that is within 15 feet of the basket. What really irks the hell out of me is you'll have a PF or C on the opposing team who will be iso'd on Chuck Hayes. Now if said player can score in an iso situation on Hayes, you just have to tip your cap because it doesn't happen very often. We basically take our best defensive play in a 1 on 1 Hayes situation and turn it into dog poo by having one of our guards run in to swat at the ball, only to have the ball kicked out to the player they were once guarding for a wide open 3. Rinse and repeat that all game and it's yet another reason why we lose more often than not. It's mind boggling how an NBA coach could be this bad.
The good news is it might be only a couple of months before the search for a new coach will begin, hopefully under Sacramento ownership.

It's like watching middle school basketball tactics. And I mean that, because when I coached middle school kids it was exactly what I'd do - pack the paint and force the other team to beat you from outside, which they can't do at that age. And while this will sound much more snarky than I intend it, Keith Smart honestly would be best served coaching middle school or high school. His "team as family" concept, pushing conditioning so the team can run non stop, playing 10 or 11 guys regularly, giving everyone the green light on open shots and his defensive schemes would all work better at a lower level of basketball.

Hard not to be jealous of what San Antonio has done and continues to do as a small market franchise with an elite organization from top to bottom. Sadly it seemed that we were geared up to be similarly successful starting in the 99 season. I've never felt as apathetic about a game as I did last night, watching a terribly constructed roster with an awful coach lose a game amidst fears that the team I grew up watching will disappear forever in a few months.

Good ownership, good management, good coaching and a new arena could mean both a relatively quick revitalization of the team I love and the city I grew up in. This story is going to have a very happy or a very sad ending, but I'm still holding out hope and optimism for the former.

And while I bear no ill will towards the man at all, I'll be very happy when Keith Smart's defensive AND offensive schemes are being applied somewhere else.

It's like watching middle school basketball tactics. And I mean that, because when I coached middle school kids it was exactly what I'd do - pack the paint and force the other team to beat you from outside, which they can't do at that age. And while this will sound much more snarky than I intend it, Keith Smart honestly would be best served coaching middle school or high school. His "team as family" concept, pushing conditioning so the team can run non stop, playing 10 or 11 guys regularly, giving everyone the green light on open shots and his defensive schemes would all work better at a lower level of basketball.

Hard not to be jealous of what San Antonio has done and continues to do as a small market franchise with an elite organization from top to bottom. Sadly it seemed that we were geared up to be similarly successful starting in the 99 season. I've never felt as apathetic about a game as I did last night, watching a terribly constructed roster with an awful coach lose a game amidst fears that the team I grew up watching will disappear forever in a few months.

Good ownership, good management, good coaching and a new arena could mean both a relatively quick revitalization of the team I love and the city I grew up in. This story is going to have a very happy or a very sad ending, but I'm still holding out hope and optimism for the former.

And while I bear no ill will towards the man at all, I'll be very happy when Keith Smart's defensive AND offensive schemes are being applied somewhere else.
while i've often made the claim that keith smart coaches as if his team were made up of prepubescents, it has never really occurred to me that his "style," if you want to call it that, truly is better-suited to lower levels of competition. good catch, sir. and regardless of what keith smart's future may hold, i too will rejoice when his employment is being considered somewhere else...