Karl asks Kings to explore Lawson option from Denver

"Even DeMarcus Cousins, their franchise center, is not untouchable, according to a source with insight into Karl's thinking. "At the trade deadline, everyone was available," the person said. Including Cousins? "Every single person (on the Kings roster) was available." Although Karl does not hold a front office title, "he definitely has control" of future personnel decisions, the source said."

Whattttt????

Not surprising. Coaches are here to win.

Don Nelson once wanted the Knicks to trade Patrick Ewing.... for Shaq. Knicks refused. It was probably the correct call.

Now, that doesn't mean he is just going to give a star away.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....s-ty-lawson-willing-to-move-demarcus-cousins/

I don't think Karl is willing to trade Cousins for Lawson. Frankly, there is only about a handful of players that I would try Cousins for. But it's interesting that, if true, the amount of power that Karl has over the FO at this point. All this is according to a nameless person of course. :)
This crap is just snowballing at this point. It's classic media in the modern day - all you need is one anonymous source saying that Cousins might not be 100% off the table for an amazing offer and through the game of "Web Telephone" it turns into "ZOMG teh KiNgS wantz to tradez Cousins LOL!!!1!" And it's all based on one original vague source and a continual string of editorial-speculation-turned-into-fact as it travels down the line. Pathetic, but perhaps as with government we get the media we deserve.

Wasn't there a big to do about Karl "staying in his lane and just coaching" just before he was hired?

I've been a Kings fan too long to get excited or angry about rumors of moves. I'll save that for when moves are actually made.

Since the disaster of firing Malone and promoting Corbin the only moves D'Alessandro and the front office/ownership have made were to hire George Karl and trade Ramon Sessions for Andre Miller. Both very good moves IMO.

If Cousins gets traded, I walk. Simple as that. He is the franchise and I doubt anyone in that front office, including Karl is dumb enough to consider trading Cousins.

As for the Ty Lawson link, I am honestly not surprised at all. In fact, I expect it to happen come draft night if we keep the pick. I always got this feeling that Collison is a stop gap solution for us (ever since the rumor of D-Will surfaced). One thing that I am not a fan of is that Lawson represents high pace but he would be an upgrade and is signed to a reasonable contract for a 16/8 guy. Probably a mroe cap friendly contract that we would have had if we signed Dragic.

If we can give up Collison, our 1st pick this year and shed Landry for Lawson and Joffrey Lauvergne (who I think will be a goo energy big in the NBA having followed him from his Partizan days) I would be comfortable with that.

Cousins-Gay-Lawson would be a nice trio to build around.

If Cousins gets traded, I walk. Simple as that. He is the franchise and I doubt anyone in that front office, including Karl is dumb enough to consider trading Cousins.

As for the Ty Lawson link, I am honestly not surprised at all. In fact, I expect it to happen come draft night if we keep the pick. I always got this feeling that Collison is a stop gap solution for us (ever since the rumor of D-Will surfaced). One thing that I am not a fan of is that Lawson represents high pace but he would be an upgrade and is signed to a reasonable contract for a 16/8 guy. Probably a mroe cap friendly contract that we would have had if we signed Dragic.

If we can give up Collison, our 1st pick this year and shed Landry for Lawson and Joffrey Lauvergne (who I think will be a goo energy big in the NBA having followed him from his Partizan days) I would be comfortable with that.

Cousins-Gay-Lawson would be a nice trio to build around.
I wouldn't mind that but it assumes (1) that the Kings keep their pick and (2) that the pick is in the 8-10 range. Even then I'm not sure I'd trade a top 10 pick in this draft for Ty Lawson. If Willie Cauley-Stein is on the board I think he represents much better value on a rookie contract than Ty Lawson at $12 million plus. And if the Kings happen to win the lottery and jump into the top three? I'd want a lot more than Ty Lawson to deal the pick at that point.

This offseason will be an interesting one. Hopefully in a good way.

Yeah no way in hell would I move a top 3 for Lawson.

For salary purposes Landry out has to happen as well most likely.

Really to me it comes down to, is Lawson worth the likely 8ish pick?

Collison and Landry contracts wash with his. Same rough investment value taking Lawson or keeping what we have.

Think the Cousins thing is BS but I think they are going to try to make a move for Lawson. I'm not a fan myself with that contract... Also can't think of the last team that won a title with a shoot first PG, unless you consider Parker a shoot first PG.

I wouldn't mind that but it assumes (1) that the Kings keep their pick and (2) that the pick is in the 8-10 range. Even then I'm not sure I'd trade a top 10 pick in this draft for Ty Lawson. If Willie Cauley-Stein is on the board I think he represents much better value on a rookie contract than Ty Lawson at $12 million plus. And if the Kings happen to win the lottery and jump into the top three? I'd want a lot more than Ty Lawson to deal the pick at that point.

This offseason will be an interesting one. Hopefully in a good way.
Ah look, not doubt you say no if the pick it top 3 or in the range where you believe you are getting a player that fits better but if its one in the 8-10 range and you think Lawson helps us more and helps us win NOW, you do it. We already wasted this season when we should have been competing for the play offs. Can't afford to tank another year. Next year has to be a play off year for us and if it means burning our pick (if we keep it) to get there, then so be it.

There is only so many times you should need to go to the well before you are set. We had too many dips in the draft. Its time to win now.

If I'm Denver I still say no, I'd want to find a taker for Stauskas on top of that.

Boston may take him for the Dallas or Clippers pick.

So we'd have to negotiate with at least a third party I think.

Yeah no way in hell would I move a top 3 for Lawson.

For salary purposes Landry out has to happen as well most likely.

Really to me it comes down to, is Lawson worth the likely 8ish pick?

Collison and Landry contracts wash with his. Same rough investment value taking Lawson or keeping what we have.
Lardy contract is un-moveable as it is and it will become even more so from now on as he does not fit into Karl's system. You have to attach it to something that gets the other team interested. I would be very comfortable giving up pick in the 8-10 range along with Collison and Lardy for Lawson and change. It frees up resources for other areas of need and gives you a pretty reasonable trio to build around

Lardy contract is un-moveable as it is and it will become even more so from now on as he does not fit into Karl's system. You have to attach it to something that gets the other team interested. I would be very comfortable giving up pick in the 8-10 range along with Collison and Lardy for Lawson and change. It frees up resources for other areas of need and gives you a pretty reasonable trio to build around
I agree, just because of the burden between him and Thompson, now Jason is just fine in our rotations, and we make an improvement to the team by hosing Landry too.

I still think they want a little more, which makes it tricky.

Those picks in Boston may have to get involved. So we'd have to decide what we send to Denver, and what we take back. Assuming Boston is interested. Philly may be interested too but would be second rounders parting hands most likely.

I honestly never really liked Landry for his price tag and age. I've seen him many times live, and he sucks. He doesn't offer the team anything else other than shooting. Now low post scoring at all.. if he's not making his jumpshots, he's entirely ineffective. He doesn't play a lick of D. I'd rather Evans play than Landry.

Think the Cousins thing is BS but I think they are going to try to make a move for Lawson. I'm not a fan myself with that contract... Also can't think of the last team that won a title with a shoot first PG, unless you consider Parker a shoot first PG.
Chauncey Billups for Detroit and Dwayne Wade was really the PG for Miami in their first title

I honestly never really liked Landry for his price tag and age. I've seen him many times live, and he sucks. He doesn't offer the team anything else other than shooting. Now low post scoring at all.. if he's not making his jumpshots, he's entirely ineffective. He doesn't play a lick of D. I'd rather Evans play than Landry.
Yeah pretty equal here.

Collison + Landry wages roughly the same as Lawson.

We are not likely going to be able to deal Landry under most circumstances, so this accomplishes an upgrade to pg, and gets Landry out of here.

Denver eats his contract happily if they go full rebuild because they will need more development time anyways, longer than his two years after this season.

But just the pick won't be enough, top 3 is too much to give if we got lucky.

So now comes the hard part of fine tuning, assuming there is something to this rumor and Denver wants to rebuild.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
not surprising that Karl wants Ty Lawson....but I don't see what your going to do with a guard under 6 feet and that can't play defense and has inconsistent range...

not surprising that Karl wants Ty Lawson....but I don't see what your going to do with a guard under 6 feet and that can't play defense and has inconsistent range...
Tough call if you can get rid of Landry.

But we can have a good budget trio of Collison/Miller/Ray

Be patient, and look for improvements in other areas.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Tough call if you can get rid of Landry.

But we can have a good budget trio of Collison/Miller/Ray

Be patient, and look for improvements in other areas.
our PG position can always use a change up because who knows if Darren is here long term, he is only signed on a three year deal and this year he has been very injury prone.

"Even DeMarcus Cousins, their franchise center, is not untouchable, according to a source with insight into Karl's thinking. "At the trade deadline, everyone was available," the person said. Including Cousins? "Every single person (on the Kings roster) was available." Although Karl does not hold a front office title, "he definitely has control" of future personnel decisions, the source said."

Whattttt????
The negotiating for this type of power is my guess as to what took so long to hire Karl. And I'm glad he seems to have obtained it.

I like Darren and I'm not so ready to trade him. The +/- with Collison and Cousins are huge for the Kings. That can be because the backup guard spot has been so bad, but it's tough to ignore that he makes an impact on both sides of the floor. If he wasn't injured, we'd probably be seeing him have big games int he Karl system and this discussion not really happening.