Josh Jackson

I knew what your point was, I was just pulling your chain. I think the failures from Kansas have more to do with the individual player than they do the Kansas system. I think Self is very good at developing good college players, but maybe not necessarily good NBA players. The thing is, in the case of Robinson and McLemore, there were warning signs there. You look at the talent, and you decide how important those signs are. In McLemore's case, I thought he was worth the risk. Wasn't sure about Robinson though. When your undersized for your position, you have to be skilled. Robinson lacked some of those skills.

Athleticism is enough to make you a star in highschool. It will get you through college. But in the NBA, your going to struggle if that's all you have. That was Robinson's problem. Once in the NBA, and lacking skills, he needed to ba a super hustle guy, but to be really good at that, you have to be smart. Kenneth Faried is an example of an athletic undersized player, that is still a good player with hustle. Right now, Robinson is Faried light
I think Self is a poor NBA talent developer. The only products that have translated their potential to the NBA are: Deron Williams, Marcus Morris, Markieff Morris, Andrew Wiggins, and Joel Embiid. That's underwhelming for a coach who's pulled in elite recruiting classes for 15 years. He's an excellent college coach, but poor as a NBA talent developer. It feels like 1/2 of his guys drafted into the NBA are busts. I think success of players are more dependent on individual talent than Self's development. Self has a nice little spot with Roy Williams.

Still can't believe his 2005 recruiting class. He recruited in 4 5 star prospects. Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Julian Wright, and Michael Downs. Rush is probably the best out of that class, but he's a career bench player. Chalmers is extremely overrated. I think 100% of the reason why his career lasted longer than 2 years in the NBA is due to Miami's big 3.

I'm starting to think Jackson may go #2 to the Lakers. In that scenario I think Ball definitely goes #3 to Philly. So it would still come down to what Phoenix wants.

I think they'd jump on Jackson if he's there but if not I don't know who they pick. Tatum and Isaac both make a lot of sense.

I think the question of whether these "reports" out of LA that the Lakers weren't "wowed" by Balls workout are real or a smokescreen may be answered by whether Lonzo works out for other teams.

With a brand new front office and Magic as GM I'd lean toward the reports being true. New FO's are often relatively leak prone.
I always saw Phoenix as Sacramento's biggest threat for Fox and nothing I've seen to date suggest otherwise. I can't see Lakers or Sixers picking him up. Phoenix definitely. But then again I could see then drafting Tatum or Isaac and even trading down.

An Arizona radio personality named John Gambadoro tweeted that Jackson has a top three promise. Not sure how he would know or how reliable he is.

He also spoke on Fox saying he won't work out for PHX.
I can see Fox not wanting to be in Phoenix considering they have 3 University of Kentucky point guards already on the roster. Which hopefully leaves Fox to the Kings at 5.

The talk down here in So. Cal is that the Lakers are leaning Josh Jackson at 2. Leaving Ball for Philly at 3. Tatum or Issac at 4 for Phoenix. And Fox (or Tatum or Issac) at 5 for Kings. :)

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It pains me to say it because I would take Josh Jackson over Fox and maybe even over Fultz, but the Lakers picking him at #2 seems like the most likely scenario to me. He's a freak athlete who loves to play defense, routinely finds open teammates off the dribble, and showed this past season that he can knock down spot-up jumpers from range. What's not to like there? Ingram didn't do much last year and some people think Jackson can play SG in the NBA anyway so they can work out the fit roster-wise. I hope they take Ball and Jackson slips past Philly and Phoenix somehow but that's not looking very likely.

It pains me to say it because I would take Josh Jackson over Fox and maybe even over Fultz, but the Lakers picking him at #2 seems like the most likely scenario to me. He's a freak athlete who loves to play defense, routinely finds open teammates off the dribble, and showed this past season that he can knock down spot-up jumpers from range. What's not to like there? Ingram didn't do much last year and some people think Jackson can play SG in the NBA anyway so they can work out the fit roster-wise. I hope they take Ball and Jackson slips past Philly and Phoenix somehow but that's not looking very likely.
Even if Jackson turns out to be a better fit at SF, they can always try to flip Ingram or Randle in a trade, or shift one of them to the rotation. Jackson is a heck of a prospect and has a ton of upside. If I was them I wouldn't pass on that type of prospect because I already had people in that position.

If Jackson falls to five I'd be very happy and I suppose it's possible if the Celtics go for Fultz, the Lakers go for Ball, the 76ers draft a guard like Monk, and the Suns decide to go for Bledsoe's replacement in Smith or Fox. At that point Tatum and Jackson are there at five. Unlikely? Perhaps, but certainly possible to see a rush on the guards occur.

It pains me to say it because I would take Josh Jackson over Fox and maybe even over Fultz, but the Lakers picking him at #2 seems like the most likely scenario to me. He's a freak athlete who loves to play defense, routinely finds open teammates off the dribble, and showed this past season that he can knock down spot-up jumpers from range. What's not to like there?
I said in another thread that I've never considered Josh Jackson a real possibility for the Kings. And I've been on the De'Aaron Fox bandwagon for some time. But the more I've thought about it, the more I like the idea of doing what it takes to get Jackson -- meaning trading up to 2 or 3. Jackson fits so well in today's ever changing game. He's a very good defender that can switch and at the very least will be able to score due to his athleticism. I like the idea of WCS, Skal (once he fills out and gains more strength) and Josh Jackson along the front line defensively.

An Arizona radio personality named John Gambadoro tweeted that Jackson has a top three promise. Not sure how he would know or how reliable he is.

He also spoke on Fox saying he won't work out for PHX.
Yeah, I've heard that too. I believe it's Philly. I can't see LA making that promise because I don't see them passing on Fultz if Boston somehow did. But Philly could because they're not in the market for a PG.

I said in another thread that I've never considered Josh Jackson a real possibility for the Kings. And I've been on the De'Aaron Fox bandwagon for some time. But the more I've thought about it, the more I like the idea of doing what it takes to get Jackson -- meaning trading up to 2 or 3. Jackson fits so well in today's ever changing game. He's a very good defender that can switch and at the very least will be able to score due to his athleticism. I like the idea of WCS, Skal (once he fills out and gains more strength) and Josh Jackson along the front line defensively.
Couldn't agree more... Jj is #1 on my board this year based on archetype. I'd be very happy with either dsj or Fox but jj I think has the best shot of the bunch at being something special that also translates to wins.

Yeah, I've heard that too. I believe it's Philly. I can't see LA making that promise because I don't see them passing on Fultz if Boston somehow did. But Philly could because they're not in the market for a PG.
Promise does not really mean much. So many players have a promise and then they don't get picked up by that team because the player they rated higher somehow slides down. It happens often. Boston is highly unlikely to pass on Fultz who is a consensus #1 pick.

And Philly do need a PG. Its just that they need a specific type of PG given that Simmons and Embiid will handle the ball a lot. Fox is not a good fit there. Ball is a good fit and Fultz would be a perfect fit.

In terms of Lakers, if D'Angelo is their man then Jackson makes a hell of a lot of sense next to him at SG. Gives them defense, ball handling, passing and length. He fits well there.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Promise does not really mean much. So many players have a promise and then they don't get picked up by that team because the player they rated higher somehow slides down. It happens often. Boston is highly unlikely to pass on Fultz who is a consensus #1 pick.

And Philly do need a PG. Its just that they need a specific type of PG given that Simmons and Embiid will handle the ball a lot. Fox is not a good fit there. Ball is a good fit and Fultz would be a perfect fit.

In terms of Lakers, if D'Angelo is their man then Jackson makes a hell of a lot of sense next to him at SG. Gives them defense, ball handling, passing and length. He fits well there.
Danny Ainge isn't afraid to take his guy though, regardless of projected value. Marcus Smart at 6 and Jaylen Brown at 3 weren't consensus picks at those spots. You'd think Fultz at #1 would be automatic but Josh Jackson seems like such a Boston player -- he doesn't dominate possessions, likes to move the ball around, and he's a hard-nosed defender who plays with a high motor. That's exactly the type of team-player you see up and down that Boston roster. Also there's the issue of how they're going to meld Isaiah Thomas with Markelle Fultz at the lead guard position when they both like to dominate the ball. Don't be surprised if Josh Jackson goes #1 to Boston. The news yesterday was that the Lakers are bringing in Ball and Fultz for second workouts which also suggests that they expect to pick one of them at #2 (maybe that's even their backup plan if they made a promise to Jackson at #2 already and they're sniffing out a Jackson to Boston possibility too). Jackson, Fultz, Ball could be 1,2,3 and then we're just hanging on whatever Phoenix decides to do.

Danny Ainge isn't afraid to take his guy though, regardless of projected value. Marcus Smart at 6 and Jaylen Brown at 3 weren't consensus picks at those spots. You'd think Fultz at #1 would be automatic but Josh Jackson seems like such a Boston player -- he doesn't dominate possessions, likes to move the ball around, and he's a hard-nosed defender who plays with a high motor. That's exactly the type of team-player you see up and down that Boston roster. Also there's the issue of how they're going to meld Isaiah Thomas with Markelle Fultz at the lead guard position when they both like to dominate the ball. Don't be surprised if Josh Jackson goes #1 to Boston. The news yesterday was that the Lakers are bringing in Ball and Fultz for second workouts which also suggests that they expect to pick one of them at #2 (maybe that's even their backup plan if they made a promise to Jackson at #2 already and they're sniffing out a Jackson to Boston possibility too). Jackson, Fultz, Ball could be 1,2,3 and then we're just hanging on whatever Phoenix decides to do.
Only problem is Jackson cancelled his workout with the Celtics... Would they still pull the trigger, off court issues and all? I think it's Fultz at #1... He's nothing if not safe.

What do we make of the Jackson move?
Honestly I'd take him over Fox any day our frontline would be set with 2 way players stick Jackson on the best wing player and he's a good passer.

5-10 move up to 3 grab Jackson Philly can get there guy Monk and we can resign D.C. Sign Milos and grab our pg in next years class.

Yup. Apparently Rodney Hood had a promise from a lottery team and then fell to the Jazz at #23.

When the Thunder took the kid from Stanford, Huestis in the 1st rd a few years back, there was definitely some sort of promise involved. Bruno Caboclo had some sort of promise (2nd rd) and ended up going much higher. It's a crapshoot.

all that being said I'm apt to believe Josh Jackson doesn't fall past #3. I'd actually be shocked if the Lakers didn't take him 2nd, thats who I think he's got the promise from.

Yup. Apparently Rodney Hood had a promise from a lottery team and then fell to the Jazz at #23.

When the Thunder took the kid from Stanford, Huestis in the 1st rd a few years back, there was definitely some sort of promise involved. Bruno Caboclo had some sort of promise (2nd rd) and ended up going much higher. It's a crapshoot.

all that being said I'm apt to believe Josh Jackson doesn't fall past #3. I'd actually be shocked if the Lakers didn't take him 2nd, thats who I think he's got the promise from.
I'm thinking philly if rumors are true. I don't see why la promises him then goes and schedule ball a second workout and fultz.

I tried to post in the trade thread but it was lost to internal errors and I never reposted.

The gist was my worry about the potential 3 team trade. To try and sum up, I worry if Boston picks at 3 for CHI and not for themselves. If CHI trades Butler in a deal it means they hit reset and could be looking at just about anyone to start the rebuild.

Jackson, Fox, Ball etc would all look good to CHI. Thus the possibility an unpredictable draf becomes even more so for us.

Just read this re: Josh Jackson and Boston:

The Celtics are reportedly considering making that scenario a reality and taking Jackson with the No. 1 pick, according to ESPN's Chad Ford.

Ford also spoke with a general manager who is "convinced" the Celtics will end up drafting Jackson.

"I've picked Danny's brain for years," the general manager said. "Jackson is an Ainge player all the way. Tough, athletic, long, versatile, elite motor. If he's keeping the pick, Jackson just to me, far and away, is the most Celtics-type player for them to draft. From all my conversations with them, I'm convinced they'll take Jackson No. 1."
Now that this PHI/BOS trade is supposedly a done deal, I'd love it if some team worked a trade with LA for #2 and stole Jackson away. While they'd certainly still come away with a good player, there'd still be a little egg on Ainge's face for getting too cute. I mean, how many freaking draft picks does Boston need? They won't have the roster space for all those 1st round picks the next few years. Ainge better get busy trading some of those picks for Paul George or Jimmy Butler or whomever else might be a good fit for that team.

Just read this re: Josh Jackson and Boston:

Now that this PHI/BOS trade is supposedly a done deal, I'd love it if some team worked a trade with LA for #2 and stole Jackson away. While they'd certainly still come away with a good player, there'd still be a little egg on Ainge's face for getting too cute. I mean, how many freaking draft picks does Boston need? They won't have the roster space for all those 1st round picks the next few years. Ainge better get busy trading some of those picks for Paul George or Jimmy Butler or whomever else might be a good fit for that team.
I don't want any unknown variables involved. Before we weren't positive what philly or phx would do and questioned if they would draft fox. Unlikely but still s chance. If the trade goes through, we are somewhat confident it will go fultz, ball, Jackson with only phx as the wildcard. We assume they will go sf but always a chance they move on from Bledsoe and his injury risks. If Boston doesn't get a chance at a guy they like, they might trade out and anything can happen.