Josh Jackson

If we got Jackson at 5......consider the draft a success even without knowing what we got at 10 and 34.
To be honest, if we trade up to three I'd take Jackson over Fox, assuming Jackson's character checks out and the Lakers don't take him at two. If his shot develops he's a Paul George/Kahwi Leonard type of wing. If his shot doesn't develop he's still Andre Igudala. Compare that to Fox who looks like John Wall best case and Dennis Schroeder if it doesn't work out so well.

Bottom line is both are great prospects but I think I'd go Fox. Unfortunately, in my opinion, we have to trade up a spot or two to get either one.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If we got Jackson at 5......consider the draft a success even without knowing what we got at 10 and 34.
Yep. These NBA Finals are showing the value of a guy like Jackson. Can defend like a bulldog, run the floor like a Ferrari. IF he develops his offensive game he's a Paul George/Jimmy Butler-esque guy (not as big as PG but probably more athletic, especially now). If not, you're still getting an elite defender at a crucial position on a team that currently has no one at that position on the roster.

I can't quit thinking about Jackson... He's the guy I want in this draft. What a difference one slot makes... If we were at four I'd be hoping for Jackson with a consolation of Fox. At five it's a different story.

I don't like our history with Kansas players... T-Rob, McLemore.. all highly rated and all slipped and all busts.

Call me a skeptic but that's legit reasoning for you.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can't quit thinking about Jackson... He's the guy I want in this draft. What a difference one slot makes... If we were at four I'd be hoping for Jackson with a consolation of Fox. At five it's a different story.
If Fox is gone and Jackson is gone, then I would take Isaac. I really love this kid, and he's going to be a hell of a player. He's capable of a lot more than anyone saw at Florida St. He was a victim of the system. I think he's the best defensive player in the entire draft. I love Jackson and Fox as well, and both those guys can play defense. I can't get past my dream front court of Willie at 7 foot, Skal at 6'11, and Isaac at 6'10.5".

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't like our history with Kansas players... T-Rob, McLemore.. all highly rated and all slipped and all busts.

Call me a skeptic but that's legit reasoning for you.
To be honest, the history with Kansas players isn't all that impressive either except Embiid who has been injury prone and Wiggins, who has yet to develop into what front offices feel should be worthy of a number one selection. Other than them two, players out of Kansas have been the Morris twins, Ben, T-Rob, Aldrich, Arthur, Tarik Black, Oubre, Brandon Rush, Withey. As you can see, zero all-star players and a whole bunch of role players or end of the bench type of players.

If Fox is gone and Jackson is gone, then I would take Isaac. I really love this kid, and he's going to be a hell of a player. He's capable of a lot more than anyone saw at Florida St. He was a victim of the system. I think he's the best defensive player in the entire draft. I love Jackson and Fox as well, and both those guys can play defense. I can't get past my dream front court of Willie at 7 foot, Skal at 6'11, and Isaac at 6'10.5".
I'm on board... Isaac is the guy I want at five if it's between him and Tatum.

To be honest, the history with Kansas players isn't all that impressive either except Embiid who has been injury prone and Wiggins, who has yet to develop into what front offices feel should be worthy of a number one selection. Other than them two, players out of Kansas have been the Morris twins, Ben, T-Rob, Aldrich, Arthur, Tarik Black, Oubre, Brandon Rush, Withey. As you can see, zero all-star players and a whole bunch of role players or end of the bench type of players.
Paul Pierce!

I'm on board... Isaac is the guy I want at five if it's between him and Tatum.
It's a no-brainer. :) The mocks are joke that almost all of them have Tatum before Isaac. Even James Ham was prattling on the Locked on Kings podcast about Top 5 including Tatum. I don't see it. Isaac was moved up on Draft Express from #10 to #6 but they still have the Kings taking Tatum at #5.

Wiggins is a stud. What front office have you been talking to? I'd trade anybody on our team for him

My dream scenario would be to get both Fox and Isaac

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ahhhh, Wilt Chamberlain!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Wiggins is a stud. What front office have you been talking to? I'd trade anybody on our team for him
You misread what I was trying to say in my post. I'm not bashing Wiggins as a number one pick, I would of taken him number one too in that draft. What I was simply stating is that he still needs to show that he warrants that selection, meaning improve every season and increase efficiency in scoring.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Ahhhh, Wilt Chamberlain!
I'm not old enough to remember Wilt....I mentioned those players above because those are current players in the league. If I wanted to mention former, that would be another story. As the last decade or so has projected, Kansas product players simply don't impress in the league. They are either out of the league or role players, majority of them. With the exception of Embiid & Wiggins potentially being all-star players, barring injuries of course.

I like Issac and Tatum. My concern with Issac is that many of the draft sites think he is more power forward than small forward. And we have Skal at PF already.

Do you think Issac will be more SF or PF when he fills out?

I love Jackson's defense - that alone merits him being picked at 5 imo. He is not as good a shooter as Tatum, but getting the best wing defender in the draft is worth the pick. Kings could then go after a PG at 10 or trade up for Smith Jr for offense.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not old enough to remember Wilt....I mentioned those players above because those are current players in the league. If I wanted to mention former, that would be another story. As the last decade or so has projected, Kansas product players simply don't impress in the league. They are either out of the league or role players, majority of them. With the exception of Embiid & Wiggins potentially being all-star players, barring injuries of course.
I knew what your point was, I was just pulling your chain. I think the failures from Kansas have more to do with the individual player than they do the Kansas system. I think Self is very good at developing good college players, but maybe not necessarily good NBA players. The thing is, in the case of Robinson and McLemore, there were warning signs there. You look at the talent, and you decide how important those signs are. In McLemore's case, I thought he was worth the risk. Wasn't sure about Robinson though. When your undersized for your position, you have to be skilled. Robinson lacked some of those skills.

Athleticism is enough to make you a star in highschool. It will get you through college. But in the NBA, your going to struggle if that's all you have. That was Robinson's problem. Once in the NBA, and lacking skills, he needed to ba a super hustle guy, but to be really good at that, you have to be smart. Kenneth Faried is an example of an athletic undersized player, that is still a good player with hustle. Right now, Robinson is Faried light

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Issac and Tatum. My concern with Issac is that many of the draft sites think he is more power forward than small forward. And we have Skal at PF already.

Do you think Issac will be more SF or PF when he fills out?
Eventually, with added strength, he'll probably be able to play either position, but he'll have no trouble playing the SF position. He's certainly athletic enough. He can hit the three, and he has decent to good handles. Defensively, he can guard four positions. I think he's the best defender in college. If we were to choose Tatum, I'd be OK with that. I just happen to prefer Isaac more. There are about 7, maybe 8 players that I think can be all stars in this draft, and there are probably a couple of more that will surprise. Doesn't mean that they will bccome all stars, but I think the potential is there. Some of it depends on how they fit the team that drafts them.

gunks

Hall of Famer
If Isaac can play the 3, I'd be cool with him at 5 (if Fox is off the table, that is).

There's actually a lot of players I'd be cool with at 5. Haha

Eventually, with added strength, he'll probably be able to play either position, but he'll have no trouble playing the SF position. He's certainly athletic enough. He can hit the three, and he has decent to good handles. Defensively, he can guard four positions. I think he's the best defender in college. If we were to choose Tatum, I'd be OK with that. I just happen to prefer Isaac more. There are about 7, maybe 8 players that I think can be all stars in this draft, and there are probably a couple of more that will surprise. Doesn't mean that they will bccome all stars, but I think the potential is there. Some of it depends on how they fit the team that drafts them.
I can see Vlade picking Issac over Tatum at 5.

I could also see Issac being taken at #4 by Phoenix, which would leave 2 of Fox, Jackson or Tatum available at 5.

Personally I like Tatum at 5, if Fox is gone, because he seems the safer pick, but I would be good with Issac at 5 too.

For some reason, Vlade doesn't seems to pay much attention to the mock draft predictions, when making his picks. ;)

You misread what I was trying to say in my post. I'm not bashing Wiggins as a number one pick, I would of taken him number one too in that draft. What I was simply stating is that he still needs to show that he warrants that selection, meaning improve every season and increase efficiency in scoring.
He has improved every year. If you expect Lebron I think that's a bit much. Other than that he has progressed faster than other number 1 picks as of late

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm starting to think Jackson may go #2 to the Lakers. In that scenario I think Ball definitely goes #3 to Philly. So it would still come down to what Phoenix wants.

I think they'd jump on Jackson if he's there but if not I don't know who they pick. Tatum and Isaac both make a lot of sense.

I think the question of whether these "reports" out of LA that the Lakers weren't "wowed" by Balls workout are real or a smokescreen may be answered by whether Lonzo works out for other teams.

With a brand new front office and Magic as GM I'd lean toward the reports being true. New FO's are often relatively leak prone.

I'm starting to think Jackson may go #2 to the Lakers. In that scenario I think Ball definitely goes #3 to Philly. So it would still come down to what Phoenix wants.

I think they'd jump on Jackson if he's there but if not I don't know who they pick. Tatum and Isaac both make a lot of sense.

I think the question of whether these "reports" out of LA that the Lakers weren't "wowed" by Balls workout are real or a smokescreen may be answered by whether Lonzo works out for other teams.

With a brand new front office and Magic as GM I'd lean toward the reports being true. New FO's are often relatively leak prone.
I could see it. Jackson might be the best prospect in the draft. An athletic wing who can initiate the offense, has a non stop motor, and plays great defense. He's a jump shot away from being kawhi. Of course if he can't shoot he's igudola but I like his chances. He's my safest bet in the draft to win a lot of games in the NBA... Even his non jump shot comp igudola has been a perennial winner.