Jones and Douby

I'm starting to like these guys off the bench. Both are very scrappy. Neither of them can finish at the basket worth a damn but they still seem to contribute every time out. Does Douby play really good defense or does he just get flashy steals once or twice a game? I can't really tell. Jones kind of reminds me of Bonzi Wells in a way that he plays a lot bigger than he actually is. His mid range shot is also coming along very nicely. If Douby could just get his shot to fall like his college day's he'd be a pretty good bench player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jones is a huge asset off the bench and he's arguably the second-best defensive player we have out there. Nice acquisition by Petrie.

I have to agree about Jones, I think he was an absolute steal. He doesn't play any position where we have a lot of need, but that could change.

doubys shots have been falling more recently i think hes slowly comin around, hes really got some nice floater shots in his arsenal, its good too have him to guard point guards like Harris when bib and beno cant keep up
keep it up douby

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think he does fulfill a need we have - he brings defense and intensity off the bench.
yeah shooters is not a problem and Garcia give you defense and offense so paired with jones off the bench could aggrivate the hell out of some ppl.

I like Jones so far and still think that Douby will end up way better than Garcia.
Not sure about Douby ending up better than Garcia. Garcia can give you about 18 points starting, and about 10 or so off the bench. He shoots at a pretty good clip as well. Douby is just..... Well.... A shooter who can't find his shot, and an undersized SG.

Jones is solid, but Douby is just not that good yet. I am still not sold on him, and not sure if we will pick up his 3rd+ years yet.

I think he does fulfill a need we have - he brings defense and intensity off the bench.
Yep. Not everything boils down to position. And, despite his emphasis on D, his numbers have been looking quite acceptable. So here's yet another one of my boring team stat summaries. Whatever measure you use, Jones is doing fine.

.................PER....Roland...Net+/-...Pts/40....Reb/40....Asst/40....Stl/40....Blk/40...TO/40...FG%
Kmart........23.06...+4.5......+8.7......26.5.......4.9..........2.1...........1.4.......0.1........2.1........46.7
Salmons....17.84...+0.9......+2.7......18.9.......5.4..........3.7...........1.5.......0.5........2.9........51.4
Artest........17.27...+6.1......+4.7......18.9.......6.0..........4.2...........2.1.......1.0........3.0........48.8
Miller.........16.45...+2.3.......-2.1......15.5.......9.9..........3.8...........0.9.......1.2........2.6........46.0
Garcia.......15.68...-3.1........-3.7......19.2.......5.4..........2.1...........1.8.......0.6........2.6........51.1
Jones........15.45...+4.2......+6.2......16.9.......6.8..........2.0...........1.1.......0.9........1.8........50.0
Williams....13.84...-1.3........+2.0......10.1......17.3.........0.0...........0.0.......1.8........1.8........63.3
Udrih.........13.15...+3.1.......+0.2......15.5......4.0..........5.2...........1.3........0.1........2.9........44.1
Moore.......10.45...-3.3.........-6.0......11.0.......8.3..........1.0...........0.6.......0.8........1.9........52.3
Hawes........9.32...-5.6.........-9.3......13.0.......9.9..........1.0...........0.6.......1.1........2.2........39.8
Douby........7.92....-6.2........-6.2.......13.9.......4.0..........2.1...........1.8.......0.5........2.9.......41.3
KT.............2.78....-15.9......-15.6......4.6........8.7..........1.9...........0.9.......0.1........3.0.......42.1

I was actually mildly surprised as to why he wasn't signed before training camp this year; after all, he did put up career numbers last year in Memphis, although that may have been a good thing and a bad thing--1) he was playing on a bad team; 2) escalated per 48 minutes, his all-around numbers--particularly his rebounding, passing and stealing ability--are not impressive at all. Maybe that's why some teams were skeptical of him.

Yes, Jones does have the sleek, smooth athleticism to finish around the rim Kevin Martin style, but finishing is one thing, and getting there is another. Jones's ballhandling skills are questionable, and probably of most concern is his lack of shooting range. I actually happen to think that his mid range game is solid, however, so the coaching staff may see some potential there. But if he's to carve a niche in this league, it's as a defensive stopper. He's thrived on a number of occasions there, but generally he's been hidden in this aspect because of the mere fact that he's been playing on a number of poor/average teams during the course of his NBA career. With scoring not an issue with our ballclub, I think he can definitely bring a defensive edge on the perimeter that's been missing as of late. Nice signing overall.

With Watkins and Williams on the pine and both being somewhat redundant, it's clear that one needed to go. Nice signing and insurance option by getting Jones--hopefully he'll have a Beno Udrih-like impact with us.
I said this at the time we signed Jones.

It looks like a lot of the things I've said there are materializing. Good to see, and good for Dahntay.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think that if Douby keeps getting his short playing time, he will continue to get more comfortable and gain confidence. If or when he knocks down his shots on a consistent basis, he's a keeper as a guy off the bench. We need guys that can knock down a 3 on a consistent basis, coming off the bench.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Look, if on and Mike and back, these guys ar enot getting minutes any longer. There is just no way. They combine for 25 minutes a night most nights, and Ron and Mike returnign are going to chew up a lot more than that.

Doesn't bother me much with Douby -- he's still a scrawny undersized OG. Has a little scrap in him, but bleh. But I rather like Jones, and think he'd make a nice rock solid 9th/10th man/defensive roleplayer type guy, if there were minutes for him.

K

Kingsguy881

I'm starting to like these guys off the bench. Both are very scrappy. Neither of them can finish at the basket worth a damn but they still seem to contribute every time out. Does Douby play really good defense or does he just get flashy steals once or twice a game? I can't really tell. Jones kind of reminds me of Bonzi Wells in a way that he plays a lot bigger than he actually is. His mid range shot is also coming along very nicely. If Douby could just get his shot to fall like his college day's he'd be a pretty good bench player.
So you are saying Dahntay Jones can't finish at the rim? He plays just like Ronnie Price as far as athleticism is concerned, and if you didn't see the put back dunk he had the other night then I guess you are missing some gosh darn good Kings basketball.....

I just don't think he's that good of a finisher. He's kinda like Beno. He hits some good layups but he also misses a lot of easy ones. Salmons and Martin are the only really good finishers that the Kings have.