John Salmons

Entity

Hall of Famer
With Garcia looking more stable with each min he gets and getting more min the more stable he gets. Is it conceivable that Salmons will be shopped this summer to some of the teams that were interested in him to begin with like toronto or pheonix. Garcia (to me) seems to get better and more calm the more playing time he gets. I would love to see him get 25 to 30 min with some starts for injured players as Martin did his second year. Salmons is a good one on one player but, Garcia seems to be more apt to look for the open man than to take it to a clogged lane. Garcia has a pg mentallity but, is able to knock down jumpers from any range. His defense gets better each passing game and his awarness of his surrondings as well.

This is just my idle thinking so no need to rip me just wondering if any thought the same.

garcia has had a nice few games this season particular the past few games...

if he continues to further improve into next season, i would probably want to trade salmons for a big, shot blocking pf or c...

once agian though, easier said than done... probably have to package someone else with him to get the big we really need...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Garcia is getting better and more calm? I might concede the getting better as in coming close to his pre-injury levels, but he is anything but calm. He's more like a frenetic Lab puppy out there way too many times. He's border-line out of control when he should be learning a little more control and discipline.

He generally makes up for his mistakes as best he can, but he's still making too many mistakes in judgment in critical situations IMHO.

And I disagree that he looks for the open man. I've seen way too many times where he's jacked up a quick jumper instead of backing off, slowing down and letting the offense set up around him.

He has potential but he's got a LOT to learn.

IMO you got it kinda mixed up. I think I'd trade Garcia to a team looking for potential because we already got a calmer version of him(with no jumpshot) in Salmons. We're paying John 25 million. IMO Garcia could be traded in a deal to move up in the draft or something.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I doubt it. Salmons is...well, just Salmons. And he himself is up down and all around from game to game. But he's more apt to just disappear than to actually hurt you (some late turnover issues aside), and in most ways is kind of a calming mature roleplayer.

Think with his freneticness that Cisco actually has the more potential to be an impact guy, but the saavy and dependability still is not there. They are largely duplicative players, but I'm still not sure Cisco is anything close enough to dependable to leave him back there alone...unless you are going for the rebuild.

In any case, this offseason could bring major change...or not. I do not trust. But if major changes do come about anything is possible. Salmons could be used as trade bait for a major player. Or Cisco could. Ron could be gone, or not. Who knows. But at this point I don't think that either guy is necessarily spelling the end of the other in a Kings uni.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I like them both and think both stay. They are truly versatile in their talents so both could have a major role moving forward.

A

AriesMar27

i wouldnt mind if we could somehow send salmons to the raptors for tj ford... i doubt that denver would s&t blake for salmons... why would blake? he could sign anywhere for mle... but that would be nice...

no way do we get a big for salmons...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The Kings over paid for Salmons... they MIGHT succed in trading him in the future but it will be part of a package. Not sure the term "shoping him applies"

A

AriesMar27

Did they? They did outbid the Suns and the Raptors but not by too much.

the suns and raptors would have overpaid for him aswell... i like him but he wont make or break this team... id rather have him than radmonovic or banks...

Personally I think Salmons and Garcia can exist together on this team. He is multi-talented and a really good defender. He's someone I want on this team as they build.

A block here and there does not make up for Garcia randomly slamming into the defense on a nightly basis. I'm for Salmons. He's got better D and is a by far smarter player.

A

AriesMar27

Personally I think Salmons and Garcia can exist together on this team. He is multi-talented and a really good defender. He's someone I want on this team as they build.
i feel where you are coming from, i like salmons but he could be the key to nabbing a real point guard... the raptors wont have a sg under contract this summer... and they wanted salmons last summer...

with the way that calderon is playing maybe they would be willing to part with ford... then maybe we could trade bibby and someone for a big that we need...

then bam.... team rebuilt.... kinda... depending on who we get for bibby and change.... i wouldnt want to trade miller unless we got a center in return... he plays soft but he is the only 7 footer that we have....

i feel where you are coming from, i like salmons but he could be the key to nabbing a real point guard... the raptors wont have a sg under contract this summer... and they wanted salmons last summer...

with the way that calderon is playing maybe they would be willing to part with ford... then maybe we could trade bibby and someone for a big that we need...

then bam.... team rebuilt.... kinda... depending on who we get for bibby and change.... i wouldnt want to trade miller unless we got a center in return... he plays soft but he is the only 7 footer that we have....
Would definitely be for a Salmons for Ford deal, but we'd have to sweeten it up quite a bit for the Raptors to bite. Ironically, Garcia would probably be part of the sweetner, at the very least.

For the right deal, just about anyone is tradeable, but I really like the versatility we get with Salmons and Cisco. I think the 2 can/should co-exist, they can play the 1-3 positions off the bench and start when needed. They provide good defense, with Cisco hopefully learning and making less bone headed plays as he matures. Both have good size at 6'6" for Salmons, Cisco at 6' 7".
With Cisco we get unbelievable energy off the bench and shot blocking...shot blocking not at the 4/5 where we needed it bad, but shot blocking nonetheless. :p
With Salmons you get a cool confident player with sleeper speed at times and great defense at the wings.

With our focus on defense, at least that's what we've been told...we should keep Artest, Salmons, and Cisco in that order around and build off that with hopefully a nice young big. While I hate dealing with the Lakers, they really seem set to keep Bynum so I wouldn't mind bringing over Kawame Brown. The few games I saw (yesterday's Lakers/PHX game) he looked great and is a good young athletic force at 4/5. He and Justin would give us some nice young bigs, at least off the bench if not 1 starting at 4 and the other subing in like SAR.

It should be an interesting off season and I hope we make the moves that we didn't this past offseason and before the trade deadline.

???

the suns and raptors would have overpaid for him aswell... i like him but he wont make or break this team... id rather have him than radmonovic or banks...
good call.....

but I agree with some of the posters, why not keep them both if possible.....we have far greater "concerns" to move then these two....

Last edited:
good call.....

but I agree with some of the posters, why not keep them both if possible.....we have far greater "concerns" to move then these two....
Yeah, especially with the Artest situation. I really like the guy, but it's anyones guess as to what happens now. :rolleyes: